It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WSCR Future?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Mully and Hanley, probably locked in forever, Hanley would be there till he dies and Mully would too, if given enough days off. Not even a question two guys that appreciate the job and do try to be as realistic about the communication. They are like the comfort food. Nothing fancy, most like them and the ratings show it. The 5 Am kickoff doesnt make it as nearly easy of a job as some think.

Middays....a lost ship. Mannelly out, Mac out, Kap out, Goff out, Grote out...Leary of course dedicated to evenings (what a guy!)...Spiegel, who Mitch admitted he didnt want when Mac brought him in, is playing tallest midget these days...Drinky should have a FT shot here, cant say he will get it, but he should.

Bernstein and Boers - IF TB is really taking this last lap 354 days and counting, I PREDICT a drastic ratings dip for Mr. Self Proclaimed "Success" and then the "Uh ohs" really start...Cracks already started to show in ratings dips and relationships are "Tenuous" among other employees and the situations are "fluid" with "Teammates"

IF- Mac gets some afternoon drive at WLUP and goes 'Man Show Route' (Music, Food, Sports, Golf, Fishing, etc), combined with Terry putting the Brakes on. Big W for Team mac and Team Bernstein blames everyone in the building except him. NEED More BUSBOARDS! I also predict if Mac pulls another deal, one or 2 people walk from WSCR with him. Just my guess, nothing more.

The lack of a farm system right now is about to bite WSCR in the ass. Keep sticking Leary on at night for no reason othert than to save some money on guest hosting. Thats some great thinking by a Rod Zimmerman and an example of short term thinking that is about to bite him in the ass.

Post subject: Re: WSCR Future?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:26 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
They've got some problems over there.

I'm not sure what Mac was asking but unless it was outrageous, they should have given it to him. I know a lot of people around here don't like him but he brings in ratings.

Going to be interesting to see what happens with the midday hosting vacancy.

Lack of viable competition has really hurt the Score.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Who would Berns choose as his new partner?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Scorehead wrote:
Who would Berns choose as his new partner?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:51 pm 

the score bringing back north is the only way to save them. this is 1995 and the bulls aint doing shit without jordan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:57 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Rozner and Durkin getting a tryout tonight.

Probably 1 & 2 on the in-house list.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:02 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
They were on a few weeks ago for Laurence.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

I said Rozner would get the midday show last time. Mannelly came out of no where to get it. I think he'll get it this time. I'm doubling down.

I know Big Fan thinks drinky should get it. I think he's bad. But even for those that like him you have to remember that drinky and Spiegel hate each other. So when Mitch is talking to Spiegel about it, Spiegel is gonna remind Mitch that they hate each other.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
IkeSouth wrote:
the score bringing back north is the only way to save them.

With Jesse producing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Tough slog. It had a funereal vibe to it.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Like I can see the conversation going like this.

Mitch: How about drinky? That SOB doesn't leave and has been begging me for years.

Spiegel: Mitch, we kind of hate each other. Don't you remember?

Mitch: Oh yeah. I forgot. Fuck. Put it this way. Who of the god damn weird, scumbag people at this station doesn't hate you that you also don't hate?

Spiegel: Rozner. That's it.

Mitch: Fine. Rozner it is. But you guys have a short leash. 6 months. If you both suck I'll blow it up and look outside this station. After giving Mac a call again, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:50 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Durkin is bad at radio.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:51 pm 

Beardown wrote:
I said Rozner would get the midday show last time. Mannelly came out of no where to get it. I think he'll get it this time. I'm doubling down.

I know Big Fan thinks drinky should get it. I think he's bad. But even for those that like him you have to remember that drinky and Spiegel hate each other. So when Mitch is talking to Spiegel about it, Spiegel is gonna remind Mitch that they hate each other.

I like both Rozner and drinky. Almost anyone would be better than grimace with whoever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I like Rosenbloom. When he's not with that overly concussed fuck Salisbury he's pretty damn solid. I really enjoy saturdays with him, though I only listen on work days. But he'd be good too.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Rosenbloom makes me turn the station quick.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:05 pm 

I'm done with Boers and Bernstein myself, switched to Adam Corolla podcast a couple weeks ago for my metra commute,
much better listen. The Pirate Ship is rolling.....Get it on!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
bigfan wrote:
The lack of a farm system right now is about to bite WSCR in the ass.

I listened to a little bit of Barry Rozner and Dan Durkin last night because Durkin is the closest thing they have to a Rising Star~! right now. He knows a lot about football and doesn't make it as ponderous as Bowen does.

Early returns are not good. It sounded like Rozner was doing a solo show, the kind where producers chime in freely to pick up the slack. I think I heard as much from Herb as I did from Durkin. But his delivery just felt kind of dispassionate, especially paired with Rozner, who's always groaning about something or another. Not in a bad way, just in the way that you have to show you care about what you're talking about when you're on the radio. It felt like Durkin was afraid to show too much emotion because it might compromise his integrity as the station's Great Football Mind. In his defense, though, I think they were just talking about how great the Patriots are, so it's not as if it was an easy topic to really get up for. He wasn't bad, he never sounded dumb, but he also didn't sound like someone I would seek out.

But yeah, I had thought of him as the best new talent they'd developed in a while, and so must they if they threw him right into a four-hour evening show and not just the 10-midnight slot of death. Still has a ways to go.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:50 pm 

Durkin has no personality. He's not host material. If Boers retires and grimace is let go, the Score is pretty much looking at retooling most of the lineup anyway. Mitch is in a really bad spot right now, but it is of his own making. I cant think of anyone other than Rozner or Rosey who would be a good partner for Berns. Who gets middays? Matty and Goff would be my preference. Who else is there?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
public corporations don't think about developing talent for years down the road. It's maximize profit this quarter and next. that's how senior execs earn their bonuses. amazing our economy manages as well as it does.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Sarge wrote:
I'm done with Boers and Bernstein myself, switched to Adam Corolla podcast a couple weeks ago for my metra commute,
much better listen. The Pirate Ship is rolling.....Get it on!

Rogan and Maron for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:50 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
public corporations don't think about developing talent for years down the road. It's maximize profit this quarter and next. that's how senior execs earn their bonuses. amazing our economy manages as well as it does.

That might be true for small companies but not for large corporations.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:28 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
OK, I'll do it...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:32 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

really? Google, Amazon, Exxon, Apple...none of them are invested in the future?

The product a talk radio station puts out is the people and format. To put zero planning into that is foolish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:08 pm 

Why plan for the future in an industry that will be dead in 5 years? Get what you can now, and fuck the future.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
what's the price of oil gonna be in ten years? nobody knows just like they didn't know 6 months ago. but oil companies are slashing exploration budgets right now. the only reason is to make quarterly earnings look better. It's not because they don't have the balance sheet or borrowing capacity.

google and apple are outliers, everyone knows that. their game is convincing you they are investing in the future.

I work with companies with sales of $20MM to $10 billion. generally the bigger the company, the dumber the management.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Douchebag wrote:
Why plan for the future in an industry that will be dead in 5 years? Get what you can now, and fuck the future.

Radio has been "will be dead in five years" for at least thirty years and it still keeps hobbling along. But let's say this time it is dead: there will always be a market for audio content no matter how it's disseminated, and CBS is in the content business.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:35 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Two "bingos" in a row. Well, actually, radio's been dead since the 50s, when the big shows moved to TV. But "top 40" music served them well into the 90s.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Barracco's in The EP.
Hatchetman wrote:

I've worked at 2 of the Fortune 25 companies ... that's absolutely incorrect.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Curious Hair wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Radio has been "will be dead in five years" for at least thirty years and it still keeps hobbling along. But let's say this time it is dead: there will always be a market for audio content no matter how it's disseminated, and CBS is in the content business.

I asked Bernstein a couple years ago about the future of talk radio for a paper I was writing. He said all technologies (the internet, smart phones, podcasts) "are enhancing and enriching talk radio. The listener's relationship with the show now continues even when the program is not 'on.' Shows can become effective brands that use new media to connect with new audiences and establish new connections with existing listeners, especially as events unfold in real time."

It's 2015. Anyone who still listens to talk radio is old. Anyone who is young has ADD and listens to music.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:31 am 

I agree that Talk radio is an older demo. That 25-30 seems to be very minimal. I have said it is a huge mistake to ignore it and the SCORE should use that evening show to attract that crowd with someone that is in that age group, not the unwanted host who thinks he is a PROFESSOR? ughhhhh