It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CHICAGO/IL HOOP TOURNEY
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Still not sure why this concept never worked. I know there was a time when it was tried, but I think it needs to be organized.

Fuck U of I, if they dont want to be part of it. I know they think they are a major powerhouse, and then can sit downstate and tell everyone that and you can shame them into playing.

DePaul
Loyola
UIC
Northwestern
Northern Illinois
Chicago State
S Ill
Bradley

8 teams, 3 games over a thurs to Sunday. Create some buzz for college hoop in this town. Amazing how much Hs talent comes from chicago and how little college hype there is.

They do this in Philly and its a big deal, works well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I love the idea but you're almost better off with Valparaiso than Carbondale -- literally northwest Indiana > practically northern Kentucky. You could put ISU in, too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:42 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Still not sure why this concept never worked. I know there was a time when it was tried, but I think it needs to be organized.

Fuck U of I, if they dont want to be part of it. I know they think they are a major powerhouse, and then can sit downstate and tell everyone that and you can shame them into playing.

DePaul
Loyola
UIC
Northwestern
Northern Illinois
Chicago State
S Ill
Bradley

8 teams, 3 games over a thurs to Sunday. Create some buzz for college hoop in this town. Amazing how much Hs talent comes from chicago and how little college hype there is.

That would be a pretty horrible tournament and I doubt Northwestern would even be interested. No reason to enter a tournament when everyone but DePaul views beating a Big Ten team as a season defining moment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:07 pm 

I think bigfan's idea is that the existence of a Chicago tournament that puts the city/region/state's teams on display would motivate lagging programs (particularly DePaul's lagging program) to look good for Chicagoans and recruits on a big stage. You know, sort of like trickle-down economics. I'm not sure it would work, inasmuch as NIU built a nice new arena 10+ years ago and still can't give a flying fuck about putting a decent team in it, and Chicago State is barely even an accredited university, but I think it would be a more compelling use of out-of-conference games than games against schools no one cares about. That's how it works, right? I don't know how out-of-conference scheduling works with tournaments and such.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:23 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I think bigfan's idea is that the existence of a Chicago tournament that puts the city/region/state's teams on display would motivate lagging programs (particularly DePaul's lagging program) to look good for Chicagoans and recruits on a big stage. You know, sort of like trickle-down economics. I'm not sure it would work, inasmuch as NIU built a nice new arena 10+ years ago and still can't give a flying fuck about putting a decent team in it, and Chicago State is barely even an accredited university, but I think it would be a more compelling use of out-of-conference games than games against schools no one cares about. That's how it works, right? I don't know how out-of-conference scheduling works with tournaments and such.
It doesn't do Northwestern and Illinois any good though. Remember when Northwestern lost to NIU in football and NIU fans took out an ad in the paper bragging about beating Northwestern and mocking Illinois? This would basically be a tournament designed for the other schools to get big wins while the big schools hurt their strength of schedule and in the case of an upset get a potential season derailing loss.

Indiana brought back the crossroads classic, which is Purdue/Indiana/Notre Dame/Butler but it required Butler to step up first and be a team that won't kill you if you lose to them. I would guess that Northwestern and Illinois would be in for something similar if DePaul were more competitive and another team, such as NIU, stepped up and became a team that isn't a bad win/horrible loss type of team.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:35 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
As BRick has pointed out, there's absolutely no incentive for Illinois to do this.

So, in biggie's words, fuck everybody else.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:40 pm 

Incidentally, what is it going to take for NIU not to be a laughingstock in basketball? It would be fun to see them go on one of those crazy little mid-major runs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:42 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Incidentally, what is it going to take for NIU not to be a laughingstock in basketball? It would be fun to see them go on one of those crazy little mid-major runs.
Football getting them into the Big 12.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Bradley is horrible. No one should have to watch that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:58 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
As BRick has pointed out, there's absolutely no incentive for Illinois to do this.

Illinois can go sit in the other room and just keep telling everyone how good they are...everyone else...INCLUDING Northwestern...can use all the exposure they can get.

Northwestern has everything to gain! Everyone of these teams has everything to gain. I will agree that Illinois should win this tourney and losing would cost them.

Of course at some point if they want to keep this inner city pipeline thing happening, this culd be an issue, but I dont care if Illinois is on or out, but they cant ever say they are the best team in Illinois then.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
How bout a college hockey tournament without any team from the state? Nah, that's crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:03 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
How bout a college hockey tournament without any team from the state? Nah, that's crazy.

if you find the sponsor..COYOTE IT UP!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:23 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Northwestern has everything to gain! Everyone of these teams has everything to gain.

Northern Illinois certainly has nothing to lose.

Could this be a preseason thing so that it doesn't hurt strength of schedule if that's the way it has to be?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:53 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
bigfan wrote:

Illinois can go sit in the other room and just keep telling everyone how good they are...everyone else...INCLUDING Northwestern...can use all the exposure they can get.

Northwestern has everything to gain! Everyone of these teams has everything to gain. I will agree that Illinois should win this tourney and losing would cost them.

Of course at some point if they want to keep this inner city pipeline thing happening, this culd be an issue, but I dont care if Illinois is on or out, but they cant ever say they are the best team in Illinois then.

I think they can still say that pretty comfortably for quite a while.

I'm willing to entertain shots at the football program. But Illinois still has a significant basketball advantage.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Bradley University
Chicago State University
DePaul University
Eastern Illinois University
Illinois State University
University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign
University of Illinois - Chicago
Loyola University
Northern Illinois University
Northwestern University
Southern Illinois University - Carbondale
Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville
Western Illinois University

You take out the "Big 3", and that leaves 10. Would enough people show up for Chi St vs SIU Edsville?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:22 pm 

SIU-Edwardsville is in the goddamn Metro-East. Why would they even be invited? I'd just go with Northwestern, Loyola, DePaul, Everywhere I Go It's UIC, Chicago State, Illinois State, Bradley, and Valparaiso. U of I would bump Bradley or Chicago State if they deigned to participate.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Why it has taken so long for NIU to get back to decent is beyond me. The last time they were any good, Molinari was here with Donald Whiteside. There is absolutely no reason why NIU is not a great basketball program at this point. The current coach they have is the best they've had in some time and he still can't get this team to be any good. The center they built for the team is very nice but no one's going there until they're at least competitive.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:32 pm 

This does not paint a pretty picture:

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/ ... enter-s791

Quote:
Driving west in the dead of winter, away from the hubbub of Chicago, there's a sense of calm that overtakes you as you reach Dekalb, Illinois. That sense of serenity continues as you enter the NIU Convocation Center, home of Northern Illinois Huskies basketball.

Quote:
In fairness, I should mention that my visit to the NIU Convocation Center came during the winter break for the students. With that context, I still found the crowd to be rather pathetic. There were exactly 9 people in the student section, and their best move was silently crossing their arms in an "X" when a member of the Huskies shot a free throw.

There was no pep band to help fire up the crowd, and supplement the students. Consequently, the loudest factor in the arena on this particular night was the coaching staff of the opponents. I don't care what time of year it is, that just flat out should not happen.

ImageImage

This might be sadder than DePaul.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:

DePaul
Loyola
UIC
Northwestern
Northern Illinois
Chicago State
S Ill
Bradley

I would replace Bradley with Illinois State. But, yeah. Great idea. They all split the first round gate. Final 4 teams split that. Championship game teams splits that.

They all split the TV revenue. Could have it on WGN 9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
illinois teams can't compete with anyone else, so this would at least make it interesting. the hell with U of I, they suck anyway. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:30 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
There is absolutely no reason why NIU is not a great basketball program at this point.

You need to slow your modifiers there, COF.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:06 am 

It wouldn't be a tournament in the sense that teams move on to future rounds. It should be a tournament in the sense that it is multiple teams playing in the same location on the same day, like a basketball jamboree.

Illinois already plays Loyola or De Paul every year it seems. NU definitely does. This is just changing the venue.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
bigfan wrote:

I think they can still say that pretty comfortably for quite a while.

I'm willing to entertain shots at the football program. But Illinois still has a significant basketball advantage.

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, their advantage is that all the other schools in the state have abysmal basketball programs.