It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 87.7 FM
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Your new OLDIES Station. Have no idea how old...

Post subject: Re: 87.7 FM
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/ct-877-fm-metv-radio-0210-biz-20150209-story.html

MeTV, the Chicago-based classic TV network, is launching its first radio station.

Weigel Broadcasting has signed a lease to take over operations of 87.7 FM in Chicago beginning this month. The station will be known as MeTV FM and will air music from the 1960s, '70s and '80s, featuring artists such as Carole King, Carly Simon and James Taylor to appeal to the same demographic as its TV network.

"The core of the audience will be like MeTV — baby boomers," said Neal Sabin, vice chairman of Weigel Broadcasting.

The station will take the call letters WRME-LP and begin a soft launch this month. The full format will be up and running in March. There willbe elements from the MeTV network, and other programming features targeted to baby boomers, which will be rolled out over time.

But music will be the focus, Sabin said, especially artists who don't get much radio airplay these days. Expect a broad, somewhat eclectic mix — from the Eagles to Neil Diamond — including album cuts long since excised from most playlists.

"It will be unique, and some traditional radio programmers will think we're playing too much," Sabin said. "But we're here to design something new and different, that we think there is an audience for that that still listens to terrestrial radio."

Sabin, who started his career in Chicago radio, has been a TV programmer for more than 30 years, most of it at Chicago-based Weigel Broadcasting, which owns WCIU-Ch.26.

In 2010, Weigel launched the pioneering MeTV network, which airs classic TV shows on the digital subchannels of some 160 affiliated stations. MeTV is the largest multicast network in the U.S. and beats many cable networks in the ratings.

Weigel intends to use WCIU-Ch.26 to help generate interest for the radio station.

Like the MeTV network, Weigel intends to build the radio station carefully. The station will not employ any air personalities to begin with, in part to keep costs down, Sabin said.

"I'm not ruling out that we won't have personalities, but we just can't afford to do that right now," Sabin said.

Owned by Los Angeles-based Venture Technologies Group, 87.7 is a low-power television station that has been operating as an FM radio station since it went on the air in 2008. The station has been through a variety of operators and formats, with smooth jazz and alternative rock achieving far greater ratings success than its most recent foray into sports talk.

Tribune Media, which owns WGN-AM 720, signed an 18-month lease for 87.7 FM and launched The Game in February 2014. Low ratings doomed the sports talk format, which ended its run on New Year's Eve.

WGN-AM has been simulcasting its news/talk programming on 87.7 FM since January.

Just as the MeTV network started with one station in Chicago, Weigel may have long-term ambitions to build a national MeTV radio network. For now, Sabin is content to focus on getting 87.7 off the ground.

"I can't operate this in a manner that is fiscally irresponsible. I have to make sure we walk before we run with this," Sabin said. "We're going to do this in a very smart, Weigel way, of growing the brand as an extension of the MeTV brand."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Old? Van Halen?

or Old as in L Welk? Big band? etc?

They have a full press release, which might be the most press they ever get, and no real info...lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Quote:
But music will be the focus, Sabin said, especially artists who don't get much radio airplay these days. Expect a broad, somewhat eclectic mix — from the Eagles to Neil Diamond — including album cuts long since excised from most playlists.

Yeah, no one's playing the Eagles anywhere these days, except for K-Hits, WLS-FM, the Loop, XRT, and the Drive.

Other than that, I have some faith in this because Weigel does good work on the television side. I saw some rumors that it would be a "dusty grooves" station with lots of album cuts from soul and R&B, kind of like the Jammin' Oldies fad that some of you may remember from the turn of the millennium but without the super-narrow playlist that was its eventual undoing -- how many times, after all, can someone hear "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang before the novelty wears off. I like that idea a lot, but if this is just an oldies station that picks up where WLS-FM left off, then even that's going to do well, too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
why not just loop the ben finfer rant and the 9 months of stupid things david haugh said.... call it dumb and whiny radio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:31 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
If they play random songs that I have never heard before from that era, then I'm in. If I have to hear another "LA Woman" or "Witchy Woman" then I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:54 am 

Just saw that this is up and running. First song I hear is "Like a Rolling Stone." I'll jot down the playlist through the night and see if I can get a read on them.

Bob Dylan - "Like a Rolling Stone"
Bobby Darin - "If I Were a Carpenter"
Bob Seger - "Against the Wind"
Bob Lind - "Elusive Butterfly"
Bob Welch - "Sentimental Lady"
Bobbi Martin - "For the Love of Him"
Bobby Bloom - "Montego Bay"
Bobbie Gentry - "Ode to Billy Joe"
Bobby Goldsboro - "I'm a Drifter"

okay clearly they're just running through the library in alphabetical order for now. Still, it seems to be pretty mellow and folky. Not quite oldies like the Oldies 104.3 of my youth, but definitely not like the "classic hits" stations gumming up the airwaves today. Kind of reminds me of what the Drive was like before consultants told them to play more Blue Oyster Cult.

Man, they're gonna play the shit outta some Dan Fogelberg by 3 a.m., aren't they. I hope I'm back in bed in time for that.

This is all automated, of course, as the press release stated above. Imaging is minimal; maybe one sweeper every four songs.

EDIT: The run of Bobs is broken by "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac! That song blows, though.

EDIT AGAIN: back to B with
Bobby Sherman - "Julie Do You Love Me"
Bread - "It Don't Matter To Me"
Boz Skaggs - "What Can I Say"

oh god, BREAD?!? ugh ugh ugh

Last edited by Curious Hair on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:37 am 

As for the interruption, I'm guessing one of two things:

1) big hits like "Don't Stop" have already been flagged as heavy-rotation and will pop up more often, though other levels of rotation haven't been delineated yet, so everything else is just running alphabetically until they finish programming.

2) Someone mislabeled them as "Bleetwood Mac."

---

"The Way It Is" by Bruce Hornsby came up. I looked it up and saw that it was 1986, much newer than anything else I've heard in the hour. Also, I read that Sean Hannity used it as his theme song on his radio show until Hornsby asked him to stop. I'm glad: a song about segregation and injustice in America with a chorus that goes "that's just the way it is, some things will never change" as employed by a conservative who demonstrates as much nuance as a cinderblock wall is goddamn terrifying.

And there's "My Hometown" by Springsteen, so maybe we are into '80s stuff now. I think that's the only cut off Born in the USA that I actually like, or that I'm not sick of.

---

"Love Will Keep Us Together" by Captain and Tennille at the top of the hour. We have hit the Cs, and we have hit YACHT ROCK. No top-of-the-hour legal identification, though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:09 am 

The inevitable Carpenters at 2:07.

Carly Simon, the Carpenters, Bread, this is the kind of stuff that my parents listened to or played at their station. Whereas album rock from that time has lived on and will live forever, this stuff is mostly forgotten in comparison. Probably because of how much it sucks.

---

Carly Simon and James Taylor - "Mockingbird"
Carpenters - "Superstar"
Cat Stevens - "Wild World"
Cher - "The Way of Love"
(at this point I got up to go the bathroom and make something to eat. It should go without saying that these were separate trips.)
Chris Montez - "The More I See You"
Chris Norman & Suzi Quatro - "Stumblin' In"
Christopher Cross - "Ride Like the Wind" MORE YACHT ROCK!!! Changing my avatar in tribute.

---

"Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House? That doesn't fit the format at all.

---

Dave Mason - "We Just Disagree"
David Soul - "Don't Give Up On Us"
Delfonics - "Didn't I Blow Your Mind"
David Gray - "Babylon" this is a triple-A artist with a song from 1998, what gives, I mean I like it better than that David Soul shit but this is going to make my mom and dad change the station if they hear it because they'll recognize everything else but not this and get mad
Diana Ross - "Love Child"
Dionne Warwick - "I Say a Little Prayer"
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - "An American Dream" - artist presumably labeled "Dirt Band, Nitty Gritty" in the computer, making one wonder: are there other varieties of Dirt Band?
Don McLean - "And I Love You So"
Donovan - "Jennifer Juniper"
Doobie Brothers - "Black Water"
Doors - "People Are Strange"
Dream Academy - "Life in a Northern Town" I unapologetically love this song but you're losing Boomers on this one
Double - "The Captain of Her Heart"
Drifters - "Up on the Roof"
Dusty Springfield - "Son of a Preacher Man"
Eagles - "One of These Nights" at 3:50, so unless they're filed under "Don Henley" or "Dgles," I dodged Fogelberg!
Earth, Wind & Fire - "That's the Way of the World"
Eddie Holman - "Hey There, Lonely Girl"

Top of the 4a hour and I think that's more than enough for now. Back to bed for an hour. I'll miss the Fs, Gs, and Hs while I'm running, swimming, showering, and eating, but I'll pop back in for some I-initialed soft-rock cheez at 8, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Curious Hair wrote:
Eagles - "One of These Nights" at 3:50, so unless they're filed under "Don Henley" or "Dgles," I dodged Fogelberg!

After the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band fiasco, I'd imagine you'll get some Fogelberg, preceded by a reprise of "Don't Stop" and followed by "Slow Ride."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:06 am 

I was seeing this girl back in the fall who loved Dan Fogelberg. I tried and I tried, but I could not find any merit whatsoever to his crappy milquetoast music. I don't want to attribute my failed relationship to Dan Fogelberg, but it certainly couldn't have helped. At least it softens the blow somewhat: it's not like things fell apart with a girl who loved Brian Eno.

Ooh, "Dust in the Wind" just came on. I like that one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Curious Hair wrote:
I was seeing this girl back in the fall who loved Dan Fogelberg. I tried and I tried, but I could not find any merit whatsoever to his crappy milquetoast music. I don't want to attribute my failed relationship to Dan Fogelberg, but it certainly couldn't have helped. At least it softens the blow somewhat: it's not like things fell apart with a girl who loved Brian Eno.

I love you Blue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
denisdman wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I love you Blue

Was on weekend before last. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Curious Hair wrote:

oh god, BREAD?!? ugh ugh ugh

You know what? Screw you, Hair. If? Come on, man. If!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTsaixdX4f8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:57 am 

Tell me how a picture paints.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:59 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Tell me how a picture paints.

It's "pitcher."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:28 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
As for the interruption, I'm guessing one of two things:

1) big hits like "Don't Stop" have already been flagged as heavy-rotation and will pop up more often, though other levels of rotation haven't been delineated yet, so everything else is just running alphabetically until they finish programming.

Yay, they're playing "Gypsy"! YOU SEE YOUR GYP-SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY

EDIT: goodwill squandered with "You've Got a Friend" by James Taylor.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:16 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I hope they loop around again soon... it was too long ago, too long apart, I can't wait another day for, "The Captain Of Her Heart."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:37 am 

0.6 in the most recent ratings. That's not too bad for '70s adult contemporary in 2015. I think it's better than The Game was doing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:39 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
They play the deep cuts. I've heard shit on there that I've never heard before.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Holy crap they just hit it out of the park with these 3 in a row.
    Time Passages -Al Stewart
    You're the Only Woman -Ambrosia
    One on One -Hall and Oates :oops:

Loved every minute of it.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
badrogue17 wrote:

Those are all good songs.

Have they played Jackie Blue by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils? I fuckin' love that song.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:37 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Have they played Jackie Blue by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils? I fuckin' love that song.

Like JORR said up thread, they play some pretty obscure songs. Don't think I've heard Jackie Blue yet but I'm sure they play it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:49 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Like JORR said up thread, they play some pretty obscure songs. Don't think I've heard Jackie Blue yet but I'm sure they play it.

I was just watching the video for Donnie Iris' Ah Leah on YouTube. That always kills me. :D

Now I'm watching Billy Squier's In the Dark and Everybody Wants You. I think I bought the 45 of the latter. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:12 pm 

Did you ever make it down to Kroozin Music on Archer?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:29 pm 

I find myself listening to this station a lot. Usually takes like a Glenn Fey solo song for me to lunge at the button. Which slogan do you guys like better:

87.7 FM. You Can Hear the Chest Hair

or

Chest Hair for your Ears. 87.7FM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:31 pm 

87.7: The Hair You Can Hear.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:36 pm 

87.7 FM Our Mustaches are Irony-Free.

But Our Mustache Rides are Still 5 cents

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:31 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Did you ever make it down to Kroozin Music on Archer?

I think I had been there a few times. I do remember buying a super cool acid-wash jean jacket from the Pants Box in '87 or '88.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Curious Hair wrote:
87.7: The Hair You Can Hear.

CH: The Hair You Can Read.

I enjoy the station.