It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: WFMT > WSCR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:20 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
So the old WNIB, may it rest in peace, used to play blues overnight, hosted by a guy who called himself "Mr. A." Pretty sure it was a brokered show and Mr. A. sold the ad inventory himself. My dad explained this mechanism of the radio industry to me when we'd listen to Those Were The Days in the car on Saturdays, which also aired on WNIB. But this wasn't the capital-letters The Blues that's been sort of preserved in amber for mass consumption as sort of a general Americana. This was a living, breathing continuation of blues, the kind of stuff that doesn't really make it out of The Community. Music people listened to because it was just what they liked to listen to, not as some historical curiosity to Know Our Rock-n-Roll Roots, like old Robert Johnson 78s or the execrable SRV.

ANYWAY. Someone has some airchecks of the guy and shared them with the world, and this is just so human it almost brings me to tears. You have him talking to a caller during a song with his mic on but without the phone line patched in. You have him trying to rip-and-read and having no earthly clue what the hell he's reading and saying so. Commercials for "the best barbecue" in Austin. Commercials for an extermination wholesaler in Woodlawn that also sells aloe vera juice (wtf?) and buys/sells hubcaps (double wtf?). A grocery store at 103rd, I don't even know which neighborhood that'd be, advertising that its parking lots are "well-lit for your security." And then when this show ended in the morning, it would go back to playing tired-out classical music for dentists' offices throughout Chicagoland.

https://soundcloud.com/just_ted/sets/mr ... ight-blues

Best of all, this got me to listen to some Bobby Rush, since Mr. A. ties himself in knots explaining that the Bobby Rush who sings the blues is not, in fact, the one repeatedly elected to public office on Chicago's south side. And Bobby "Blue" Bland. He's pretty great, too. Good stuff. I just wish I had been able to hear it over the air when I had the chance to. It must have felt like eavesdropping. I thought stuff like this was only on tiny little south-side college/community stations whose signals couldn't make it past 35th Street, but here it was on a relative torch of an FM signal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzUbNz9z-mc here's another aircheck that captures the transition between regular programming and his show. That's the second movement of Beethoven's Pathetique; I'd know it anywhere. Then blues. Some transition.

But the crux of the biscuit here is that here you had this guy buying 25 hours a week of, like I said, a pretty powerful radio signal, then making the money back by crisscrossing the south side to hit up all these small businesses whose -- let's be honest here -- clienteles were probably working third shift, where show was what kept them company during what we'll presume was some lonely/shitty work. Then he'd head up to NIB's studios all the way up at Ogden/the Kennedy and play this awesome music through the dead of night that you'd only have found on commercial airwaves in, like, three or four other places in this country, at best.

I love radio. It can be so awesome when it has the chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:14 pm 

Quote:
A new program debuts tonight at 10: Baroque & Before, produced and hosted by Candice Agree, begins this evening with music written for the court of Philip II, and continues through three centuries of Spanish keyboard music.

Well, don't let it be said that they're dumbing the place down. Pre-Baroque is rough, rough sledding.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
sounds pretty cool. wonder if I can get it on podcast. 10 is my bedtime.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Once football ended I gave up WSCR and gave WFMT try. Needed something without talking so WFMT having few commercials was key.

Been digging the live recordings from 8pm - 10pm

Guess it's Chopin week in Warsaw. Listening to the recordings from 6-7 hour have been nice.

Been so happy listening I made my first donation to broadcast media.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:12 am 

they play the same shit on WFMT all the time. I remember when I woul listen every day there for a while, they'd play DeFalla's Three cornered hat like every three days.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:14 am 

now they're playing that meow meow symphony where opera stars are meowing. oh boy is that funny.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
They have one live read that goes something to the effect of: Did you know that the city of Evanston was voted dry in 1858? In spite of this Joseph McGinty* and his family opened their home heating business there in that same year...

So this is supposed to be remarkable? That an Olde Tymey soused-up Irish HVAC guy wouldn't have the forethought to do business on the North Shore because he couldn't stumble into a tavern on his lunch?

*Not positive on the name. Obviously, because I'm Irish, so I must be prone to memory lapses due to drinking. Also, I've been drinking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:37 am 

Yeah, I've heard that read, too, but I wasn't paying attention. I thought it was for a bar.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Hatchetman wrote:
now they're playing that meow meow symphony where opera stars are meowing. oh boy is that funny.

I heard some of that on my aggravating drive in to work this morning. That would have been grating under normal circumstances but it was especially grating today.

I got to work and it was STILL on. Fuck that..flipping around for something that won't make me hate this morning more than I already do.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:20 pm 

night on bald moutain followed up by steppes of central asia.

real avant garde stuff today.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
WSCR just went off the air...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:29 pm 

pictures at an exhibition!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:32 pm 

I believe I foretold this descent into the comfort zone when they replaced Peter van de Graaff with a kid.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:34 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
30 years old isn't a kid, Curious Hair! That's not a kid! That's not a kid! How many radio stations have YOU been the program director of? Huh? [sssssssssnnnort] I bet you think Scott Walker wants to turn the UW system into a glorified trade school! What about that? What about that?

Last edited by Curious Hair on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:35 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
They have one live read that goes something to the effect of: Did you know that the city of Evanston was voted dry in 1858? In spite of this Joseph McGinty* and his family opened their home heating business there in that same year...

So this is supposed to be remarkable? That an Olde Tymey soused-up Irish HVAC guy wouldn't have the forethought to do business on the North Shore because he couldn't stumble into a tavern on his lunch?

*Not positive on the name. Obviously, because I'm Irish, so I must be prone to memory lapses due to drinking. Also, I've been drinking.

My favorite live-read is the one done for Audio Consultants. The read begins by describing what headphones are as if they're some revolutionary new invention. Their capabilities, different types, costs and, of course, the opportunity to buy them from Audio Consultants.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:43 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Commercials for an extermination wholesaler in Woodlawn that also sells aloe vera juice (wtf?) and buys/sells hubcaps (double wtf?).

I bought both hubcaps (for my old Nissan Altima) & insecticide from that place. (Ceasar Collins' @ 64th & King Drive). I still remember the lady behind the bulletproof glass who sold everything & the sometime drunk guy who would help mix up the insecticide. I never quite got the Aloe Vera, but maybe as a regular, that was just me.

Funny thing was I know the same guy had a really good BBQ joint right off of 71st & King Drive (and iirc one a door or two down from the all in one place)

And CH, you were right about the old WNIB, it was a great listen at times.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Godfella wrote:

Was off the air for about 20 mins and I dont think they knew....

IF these ratings are even close to accurate that has to be a killer as they have to lose a vast amount of people changing a staion at one time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:50 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Godfella wrote:

IF these ratings are even close to accurate that has to be a killer as they have to lose a vast amount of people changing a staion at one time.

Funny thing is that by the lack of a Board thread, only you two even knew. Ratings winner my ass. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:55 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Godfella wrote:

Even if people waited it out, the PPMs wouldn't pick up the signal for that quarter-hour.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Regular Reader wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Godfella wrote:

Funny thing is that by the lack of a Board thread, only you two even knew. Ratings winner my ass. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:58 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Commercials for an extermination wholesaler in Woodlawn that also sells aloe vera juice (wtf?) and buys/sells hubcaps (double wtf?).

I bought both hubcaps (for my old Nissan Altima) & insecticide from that place. (Ceasar Collins' @ 64th & King Drive). I still remember the lady behind the bulletproof glass who sold everything & the sometime drunk guy who would help mix up the insecticide. I never quite got the Aloe Vera, but maybe as a regular, that was just me.

Can you explain to this Arlington Heightsian/Lake Genevan why an exterminator would also sell hubcaps, aloe vera juice, and "the Dick Gregory diet"?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:13 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Can you explain to this Arlington Heightsian/Lake Genevan why an exterminator would also sell hubcaps, aloe vera juice, and "the Dick Gregory diet"?

I have no idea how that combo was reached. Amusingly now, it didn't even seem particularly odd at the time. :lol:

Back in those days stores on the south side seemingly sold anything that would move. Major Motors Auto Supply was the place to go bicycles (if Sears didn't have one you wanted). Transport Sales sold paint in bulk, insecticide (notice a theme :lol: ) all kinds of hardware...and cheap clothes & food.

Now that I think about it, it all kind of made sense back then. You could go to um, er, the "Maxwell St. open market" :wink: and buy the same incongruous combination anything from the same vendors each week. My favorites were along the lines of the used toilets and 8-track tape guy.

My dad & granddad went at least 3 Sundays a month. I still fondly remember listening to John Lee Hooker live on the corner of 13th & Green eating tacos made with handmade tacos as my grandfather sat eating a pork chop sandwich & drinking a Country Club Malt Liquor. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:35 pm 

If Maxwell st hadn't been annihilated, it'd probably be run over by hipsters now. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
So the old WNIB, may it rest in peace, used to play blues overnight, hosted by a guy who called himself "Mr. A." Pretty sure it was a brokered show and Mr. A. sold the ad inventory himself. My dad explained this mechanism of the radio industry to me when we'd listen to Those Were The Days in the car on Saturdays, which also aired on WNIB. But this wasn't the capital-letters The Blues that's been sort of preserved in amber for mass consumption as sort of a general Americana. This was a living, breathing continuation of blues, the kind of stuff that doesn't really make it out of The Community. Music people listened to because it was just what they liked to listen to, not as some historical curiosity to Know Our Rock-n-Roll Roots, like old Robert Johnson 78s or the execrable SRV.

ANYWAY. Someone has some airchecks of the guy and shared them with the world, and this is just so human it almost brings me to tears. You have him talking to a caller during a song with his mic on but without the phone line patched in. You have him trying to rip-and-read and having no earthly clue what the hell he's reading and saying so. Commercials for "the best barbecue" in Austin. Commercials for an extermination wholesaler in Woodlawn that also sells aloe vera juice (wtf?) and buys/sells hubcaps (double wtf?). A grocery store at 103rd, I don't even know which neighborhood that'd be, advertising that its parking lots are "well-lit for your security." And then when this show ended in the morning, it would go back to playing tired-out classical music for dentists' offices throughout Chicagoland.

https://soundcloud.com/just_ted/sets/mr ... ight-blues

Best of all, this got me to listen to some Bobby Rush, since Mr. A. ties himself in knots explaining that the Bobby Rush who sings the blues is not, in fact, the one repeatedly elected to public office on Chicago's south side. And Bobby "Blue" Bland. He's pretty great, too. Good stuff. I just wish I had been able to hear it over the air when I had the chance to. It must have felt like eavesdropping. I thought stuff like this was only on tiny little south-side college/community stations whose signals couldn't make it past 35th Street, but here it was on a relative torch of an FM signal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzUbNz9z-mc here's another aircheck that captures the transition between regular programming and his show. That's the second movement of Beethoven's Pathetique; I'd know it anywhere. Then blues. Some transition.

But the crux of the biscuit here is that here you had this guy buying 25 hours a week of, like I said, a pretty powerful radio signal, then making the money back by crisscrossing the south side to hit up all these small businesses whose -- let's be honest here -- clienteles were probably working third shift, where show was what kept them company during what we'll presume was some lonely/shitty work. Then he'd head up to NIB's studios all the way up at Ogden/the Kennedy and play this awesome music through the dead of night that you'd only have found on commercial airwaves in, like, three or four other places in this country, at best.

I love radio. It can be so awesome when it has the chance.

Mr. A was fucking awesome.

I used to listen to him early morning on the way to work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:33 pm 

WFMT has started a "Signature Series" where they play each key throughout the month at 6pm

Yesterday was G minor. Today is D major. Tomorrow will be B minor.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:42 pm 

Let me know when they get around to the modes. I like the Locrian mode.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
What on God's green Earth constitutes the Dick Gregory diet?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:57 pm 

To younger Americans, he's best known as the inventor of The Dick Gregory Diet: a terrifying regime consisting of vegetable juice, powdered kelp, raw broccoli and thrice-weekly enemas, relieved only by 72-hour periods on nothing but distilled water.

Umm......I'll do it if you do it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:03 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
they play the same shit on WFMT all the time. I remember when I woul listen every day there for a while, they'd play DeFalla's Three cornered hat like every three days.

an american in paris.

yes, different orchestras but it's the same damn song! enough already :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:02 am 

I've grown to really despise the harpsichord