It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rush on the brink
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:29 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I never liked Rush. Where does he rank all time though among radio talk show hosts?

Impressive run

Near the top, for sure. You can't argue with what he accomplished and the impact he had on media for years to come.

That being said, it does bear mentioning that ABC was inches away from pulling the plug on WLS-AM's talk format all the way back in 1994, the Angry White Male ostensibly not being common enough in a liberal area that's been working out its neuroses about minorities since before radio was invented. It wasn't until the O.J. Simpson trial and Roe Conn's coverage of it that 890 really capitalized on not only AWMs but a much wider base of listeners. Like I've said before, the station lineup that I remember best was never wall-to-wall conservative: they had screaming leftist loons like Jay Marvin and Mike Malloy, Roma was always kind of a moonbat, and I wouldn't exactly call Roe and Garry hardliners.

That OJ trial made a lot of careers across this country on both the local and national levels.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Curious Hair wrote:
That being said, it does bear mentioning that ABC was inches away from pulling the plug on WLS-AM's talk format all the way back in 1994, the Angry White Male ostensibly not being common enough in a liberal area that's been working out its neuroses about minorities since before radio was invented. It wasn't until the O.J. Simpson trial and Roe Conn's coverage of it that 890 really capitalized on not only AWMs but a much wider base of listeners. Like I've said before, the station lineup that I remember best was never wall-to-wall conservative: they had screaming leftist loons like Jay Marvin and Mike Malloy, Roma was always kind of a moonbat, and I wouldn't exactly call Roe and Garry hardliners.

Roma was only role playing the sassy liberal - in the same way she and Don Wade pretended for years not to be married lest the audience suspect it was all a put on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Curious Hair wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I never liked Rush. Where does he rank all time though among radio talk show hosts?

Impressive run

Near the top, for sure. You can't argue with what he accomplished and the impact he had on media for years to come.

Holy Christ, I remember hearing Jay Marvin several times. Loon is an accurate description. I still think that he and Nick DiGilio have similar speech patterns -- both are very repetitive.