It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Temps in the mid 50s next week! Hoping to get out to the range to hit a few balls. With a bit of luck and temps that stay at least above freezing, we should probably be able to get out and play a round before the end of the month. Less than pristine conditions and some mud is likely, but it sure seems as if winter is definitely on its way out of town.
Got to the range today. It was glorious. Sun was right into my face, so I didn't even need long sleeves. Overall the results were fairly decent considering I hadn't hit balls outside in almost 4 months.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:48 pm 

spanky wrote:
Pulled the trigger on the R15 slider 3-wood. First new fairway wood in......10 years? More?

So it was delivered today.

It came in a box that was big enough to fit a hard-sided travel golf case in (6'x2'x2' ish). One single club inside of it, the head was wrapped in a giant wad of paper towels. The shaft/grip end was just "loose" in the rest of the giant box. Is this normal? I've never ordered a golf club online before......seems......."not ideal".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:52 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
spanky wrote:
spanky wrote:
Pulled the trigger on the R15 slider 3-wood. First new fairway wood in......10 years? More?

It came in a box that was big enough to fit a hard-sided travel golf case in (6'x2'x2' ish). One single club inside of it, the head was wrapped in a giant wad of paper towels. The shaft/grip end was just "loose" in the rest of the giant box. Is this normal? I've never ordered a golf club online before......seems......."not ideal".

Had same box for GF's three clubs. Probably one size fits all box.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:37 pm 

pittmike wrote:
spanky wrote:
spanky wrote:

Had same box for GF's three clubs. Probably one size fits all box.

Strange

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:13 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
spanky wrote:
spanky wrote:

The club I got recently was just big enough to fit the driver and headcover. The head was covered with a cut off sock of some kind. Never heard of a club coming disassembled like that.

On a separate note I went and had a new grip put on the new driver. I went with a Winn Dri-Fit Jumbo sized. Not sure I am going to like it. Feels a little too soft and cushy and
the jumbo size feels a bit awkward. I want to hit some balls with it before making a decision to cut it off and start over.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:48 am 

T-Bone wrote:
spanky wrote:
spanky wrote:

The club I got recently was just big enough to fit the driver and headcover. The head was covered with a cut off sock of some kind. Never heard of a club coming disassembled like that.

On a separate note I went and had a new grip put on the new driver. I went with a Winn Dri-Fit Jumbo sized. Not sure I am going to like it. Feels a little too soft and cushy and
the jumbo size feels a bit awkward. I want to hit some balls with it before making a decision to cut it off and start over.

I would be very surprised if you like it, it can seem like it is very hard for your hands to work with the club.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
T-Bone wrote:

Pretty common now for clubs with adapters/removable shafts to be shipped that way. Less prone to breakage. Definitely a good idea to remove the head when you travel or ship clubs. Spanky's club in a 6-foot box is bizarre, usually a big jump in shipping cost over 48".

I like Winn putter grips, but never liked their other offerings. Always seem too squishy and wear quickly. Lamkin, Golf Pride and Pure are better and cheaper (for me). I won a contest on GolfWRX for some custom-made leather headcovers and they sent me one of their leather grips. They are phenomenal and nothing like old-school leather grips. They are super-expensive, but I will probably go that route on my next set of irons.

http://bestgrips.com/

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

Going out to play Monday with my Dad and uncle for the first time since early December. Looking forward to it. I don't expect the course to be in real nice shape obviously, but the mercury might hit 70 so it should be glorious weather.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:33 pm 

Went with these after all.

[img][img=http://s5.postimage.org/rnk9medhv/image.jpg][/img]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:45 am 

Really wanted to get out this weekend and hit a bucket but my parents were in town and yesterday I had a bit of a bug and was stuck on the couch most of the day. We don't
have any decent golf ranges around here either. I'll look for one that is open this week. Unfortunately it will go back to seasonal temps after today.

Good luck out there today Frank. Definitely a bit jealous.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Went to the range yesterday, first time swinging a club since September.

Started with the irons, picked up right where I left off last year, drawing/hooking every iron. Then I finally got to my 6 iron, the only iron in my bag that isn't from my JPX 800 HD set. My 6 iron is the JPX forged irons, (the ones with orange and black head), hit 5 balls with it, every single one straight with maybe a tiny bit of draw on it. So came to the conclusion that its not me, its those stupid JPX800HD irons. Vowed never to swing one again. Saving my money this month so I can buy the JPX850 forged irons that just came out.

Didn't hit any drivers or hybrids cause my swing isn't supported by the Skokie driving range. I would hit the booth behind me if I took a swing. They do have 1 or two booths that are next to lefty booths so the retrieval machine is on the other side...I would need one of those to be able to hit a wood there.

But, I saw enough yesterday. No more golf range for me until you can hit off grass.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:04 am 

shakes wrote:
When I finally got to my 6 iron, the only iron in my bag that isn't from my JPX 800 HD set. My 6 iron is the JPX forged irons, (the ones with orange and black head), hit 5 balls with it, every single one straight with maybe a tiny bit of draw on it.

Can't imagine what happened to your JPX 800 6 iron. :lol:

What do you think is making a difference? Less offset? Narrower sole? Shaft?

I'm jonesing for the 850 non-forged.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:16 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
shakes wrote:
When I finally got to my 6 iron, the only iron in my bag that isn't from my JPX 800 HD set. My 6 iron is the JPX forged irons, (the ones with orange and black head), hit 5 balls with it, every single one straight with maybe a tiny bit of draw on it.

Can't imagine what happened to your JPX 800 6 iron. :lol:

What do you think is making a difference? Less offset? Narrower sole? Shaft?

I'm jonesing for the 850 non-forged.

Let's just say it would take more than Rory McIroy's scuba diver to retrieve it in one piece.

No idea what the difference is. Can't even make an uneducated guess. But the results are quite different.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:34 am 

shakes wrote:
No idea what the difference is. Can't even make an uneducated guess. But the results are quite different.

I just checked the specs online and the shaft model, lie angle, loft and length are the same. The offset is less, but not dramatically so. Being an extremely left-eye dominant/right-handed golfer, I used to have real problems w/ offset. Just couldn't line up the club properly.

Might be as simple as less offset and a thinner topline just suits your eye.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:34 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
shakes wrote:

I just checked the specs online and the shaft model, lie angle, loft and length are the same. The offset is less, but not dramatically so. Being an extremely left-eye dominant/right-handed golfer, I used to have real problems w/ offset. Just couldn't line up the club properly.

Could it be the head size? THe forged head is smaller. Maybe the bigger head is causing me to close the face on impact???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:56 pm 

shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
shakes wrote:

Could it be the head size? THe forged head is smaller. Maybe the bigger head is causing me to close the face on impact???

Notice any measurable weight difference? Saw pic of your wife at the range. Looks like she has a pretty solid swing at the top.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:59 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
shakes wrote:

Notice any measurable weight difference? Saw pic of your wife at the range. Looks like she has a pretty solid swing at the top.

In other words Shakes, T-bone was staring at your wife. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:25 pm 

shakes wrote:

Spanky could probably speak to that better than me.

Seriously though, in theory I wouldn't think that a bigger clubhead would cause that since they tend to reduce twisting, unless the JPX 800 has more weighting in the heel or less in the toe. I think it's either the offset or how you setup because of the increased offset on the JPX 800.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:40 pm 
100000 CLUB

42-42 84 today at Coyote Run. Took a couple of 'lessons' from a family friend over the winter, and already started to see the results of better contact. Considering I haven't played in decent weather since the end of October, I was incredibly pleased with the overall scores today. Two bad shots really did me in. Chunked a short chip on #10 into a bunker, then barely got out of said bunker and wound up with a 7. On #12 topped my hybrid off the tee and rolled it maybe 80 yards. Recovered with about a 200 yard shot over water with the same club, into a bunker, got out, and drained about a 20' putt to save bogey. Missed about a 4' par putt on 15. Other than that, pretty solid overall. A few miss hits, but my misses now are better and keep me in play, whereas last year a miss with the driver put me way the hell right, and a miss with an iron lead to an 80-100 yard chunk shot. I hit 9 greens regulation, and only had 2 three-putts.

7 pars, the ugly triple bogey, yet everything else was single bogey. If I can keep working on this "new" swing, I am sure I could shave at least 5-7 strokes per round to be in the low 80s pretty regularly.

Windy, but was absolutely gorgeous weather for March. Also considering that ~15 days ago the course was buried under 2 feet of snow and ice, it was in pretty good shape. Dry except for some very low lying areas, and the greens rolled fairly true.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:34 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:

Hey, if he could teach me to hit the ball like him he can do a lot more than stare...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:36 pm 

shakes wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Hey, if he could teach me to hit the ball like him he can do a lot more than stare...

:shock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:36 pm 

T-Bone wrote:

thanks, I'm expecting a big breakthrough for her this year. This will be her third season. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets close to 100 this year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:38 pm 

pittmike wrote:
shakes wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

I love my wife, but I think I would love shooting in the 70s more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:39 pm 

shakes wrote:
pittmike wrote:
shakes wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

I love my wife, but I think I would love shooting in the 70s more.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
shakes wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:08 pm 

45 degrees and sunny with no breeze when I went home to let my dog out. I think I will be getting the clubs ready tonight. I was planning on hitting
balls at the range Friday night but figured it would be a little early to play this weekend but if it is like this I am playing for sure. Need to put some
new spikes in the shoes as well. Sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:17 pm 

Washed and shined clubs and bag ready to roll as of last night.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:48 pm 

Screw it, maybe I will go today. I get off of work at 3, it should still be nice out.

Edit -- I went to a crappy range near my house and hit a large bucket. Hit my short and mid irons better than I
expected. Long irons were rusty. 3 wood was hit or miss and the driving iron I hit well. I pulled out the new
driver at the very end. Felt good to swing and weighted nicely. I was hitting in the bottom bay of a two story
range. The crack that thing made was deafening. I tried to follow the ball but with the clouds being the way they
were I had no idea where it went. I pick up another ball to put on the tee and notice the weight underneath is loose.
Great! I took two more swings with it and couldn't pick up either of those either so even though it felt great I have
no clue where any of the drives went. Ill have to go back Friday. Anyway I stopped hitting the driver because I was
worried it may be broken. I got home and took the wrench out. I tightened it back down and then gave it one extra
quarter turn and the think made a clicking sound. AH!! I hadn't locked the weight or the head into place, looking back
it was a good thing I didn't have something worse happen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:22 am 

Hitting small bucket tonight, hopefully I can figure out where the ball is going. Tee time at 2pm tomorrow. I doubt I will play Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:24 am 
100000 CLUB

Went out for 9 holes last nite, and didn't hit nearly as well as I did on Monday. The driver, though, was my best club in the bag...which is something I haven't been able to say for almost 2 years. Putting was really poor, but the greens were very slow and beat up. Kinda chalking it up to early season rustiness and course conditions. Hopefully next time will be better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next