It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:04 pm 

So much for better for shooting in the college game.

Quote:
The 2014-15 season is shaping up to be the worst offensive season in modern history. Through Feb. 22, teams were averaging 67.1 points per game. That is the lowest average since 1952. The previous low for that span was set just two years ago.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/02/26/hoop-thoughts-college-basketball-scoring-pace

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:05 pm 

Besides the shot clock needing to be shorter I don't really see the problem here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
You think about it, I would say college basketball was better during the 80's, seemed like more scoring and they had a 45 second shot clock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:46 am 

reents wrote:
You think about it, I would say college basketball was better during the 80's, seemed like more scoring and they had a 45 second shot clock

The best players weren't also leaving after 1 year, probably had something to do with it also.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:50 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Besides the shot clock needing to be shorter I don't really see the problem here.

Obviously, offense is down during this specific season, but I previously posted the numbers that show the difference between the time it takes a college team to shoot and the time for an NBA team is really minimal. The fact is college teams actually use a much smaller percentage of their clock than NBA teams.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:59 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Obviously, offense is down during this specific season, but I previously posted the numbers that show the difference between the time it takes a college team to shoot and the time for an NBA team is really minimal. The fact is college teams actually use a much smaller percentage of their clock than NBA teams.

Their shot clock is 46% larger.

The last record in futility was set two years ago. Scoring has been bad for a decade.

From the article
Quote:
Since 2000, scoring has declined year-to-year 13 times and increased twice. Overall field goal percentage has declined six times in the last eight seasons. Before that, it had decreased just four times in nine years.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:07 am 

The lack of scoring isn't really an issue. Scoring isn't necessarily better.

There are too many interruptions to the game with timeouts and official timeouts and the shot clock is too long.

Do you think people are suddenly going to watch more if scoring goes up five points per game? Let the score end 50-48. It could be good defense or a clash of styles that don't make it easy to score or it could be a bad shooting night. Just improve the pace of the game. I've never watched a basketball game either in college or in the pros and said "That game was great because both teams scored a lot".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:08 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The lack of scoring isn't really an issue. Scoring isn't necessarily better.

There are too many interruptions to the game with timeouts and official timeouts and the shot clock is too long.

Do you think people are suddenly going to watch more if scoring goes up five points per game? Let the score end 50-48. It could be good defense or a clash of styles that don't make it easy to score or it could be a bad shooting night. Just improve the pace of the game. I've never watched a basketball game either in college or in the pros and said "That game was great because both teams scored a lot".

You sound like me talking about speeding up baseball games

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:11 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
It's the same thing though. In baseball, they need to get rid of the dead space like guys stepping out and adjusting after every pitch. Same thing in basketball.

You can keep the game the same while cleaning up the things that truly don't matter. Basketball will be just fine if teams only have 30 seconds to attempt a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:16 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
conns7901 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Their shot clock is 46% larger.

The last record in futility was set two years ago. Scoring has been bad for a decade.

From the article
Quote:
Since 2000, scoring has declined year-to-year 13 times and increased twice. Overall field goal percentage has declined six times in the last eight seasons. Before that, it had decreased just four times in nine years.

NBA scoring ain't what it used to be either. But this is a no-win argument. When NBA scoring is down, you're going to chalk that up to world class defense.

Here are some real numbers from the 2010-11 season:

The San Antonio Spurs led the NBA in three-point percentage at 39.7%. Northern Arizona led the NCAA at 42.5%. Limiting our comparison to “major” conference teams (which you’re more likely to see on TV than Northern Arizona), Ohio State led at 41.3%. This is likely due in part to the fact that the college three-point line is three feet closer to the basket.

13 college teams had three-point percentages higher than the Celtics.

The median college team (Northwestern State) shot 34.5% from beyond the arc, compared to 35.5% for the median NBA team, the Philadelphia 76ers. The worst college team, the Niagara Purple Eagles, shot just 27.5% for three, compared to an NBA low of 31.6% from the Toronto Raptors.

Boston led the NBA in field goal percentage at 48.6%. Kansas led college ball at 51.4% Six college teams out-shot the Celtics.

The median college teams (most notably Arkansas and tournament darling Florida State) shot 43.6%. The median NBA team, again the 76ers, shot 46.1%.

The worst college team from the floor was Alcorn State at just 36.9%, which is terrible. The worst NBA team (Milwaukee) crushed this, coming in at 43.0%.

It's really not like NBA scoring is so much more efficient than in college. To suggest that it is is simply wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:17 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
It's the same thing though. In baseball, they need to get rid of the dead space like guys stepping out and adjusting after every pitch. Same thing in basketball.

I agree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:26 am 

I don't think the NBA should really be what it is judged against either. The NBA is a league that makes rules based on entertainment value. For years, they didn't even allow zone defense and they still only allow a partial zone. The amount of traveling is unlike any other league. That isn't a knock on the NBA though. It is just a different way of viewing the game.

If you brought in NBA refs and had them call the game the exact same way you'd probably have Kentucky and Duke scoring 95 a night. It doesn't make it better though. What is great is that two unique options exist. Those who want to see Lebron James do a crab dribble have ample opportunity and so do those who can respect a good 1-3-1 zone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:17 am 

It is all Kentuckys fault.

Screw them!

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Maybe not with scoring, but Bernsteins take on College Basketball.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/03/13/ ... n-trouble/