It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Goff and Perps lamenting the state of college basketball here. Why aren't DePaul and Illinois ( and Northwestern to a lesser degree) landing the home grown talent? So you're a blue chip recruit and Duke , Kentucky, and a couple other schools are after you but you should stay in this shithole city to play basketball , well just because . How are they supposed to compete with that? Force them to sign at gunpoint? Dumbass thoughts from 2 dopes.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Last edited by badrogue17 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
?

How did any school in any sport become good? Kentucky wasn't always Kentucky etc. Need to find the right coach, pitch and admission standards.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:52 am 

They were referencing home grown talent . Would you stay in Illinois if you had the basketball powerhouses recruiting you?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
UIUC is a settle school. The only Chicagoland folks who have it as a first choice are those not qualified to get in. I settled :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
badrogue17 wrote:
Goff and Perps

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
badrogue17 wrote:
They were referencing home grown talent . Would you stay in Illinois if you had the basketball powerhouses recruiting you?

I'm going to assume it's a lot easier to sell Chicago over Durham or Lexington as a place to live.

Those schools find the right salesman who could convince kids to come there coupled with admission standards and programs in place that allow kids to go there just to ball. Obviously it's an uphill battle to win a 5 star from Kentucky or Duke, but at some point, those schools won that battle of the UNLV's etc of the world to become who they are today.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:58 am 

The in state schools can't cheat like the big name programs are, and the NCAA won't protect them like they do the big name programs.

If what happened at North Carolina happened at Illinois then the Illini would probably have a 5 year postseason ban and have to vacate every win they've ever had. North Carolina continues to get slaps on the wrist.

I've said all along that recruiting Chicago is fools gold for all but a few elite programs that can take the truly special out and use them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:03 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The in state schools can't cheat like the big name programs are, and the NCAA won't protect them like they do the big name programs.

If what happened at North Carolina happened at Illinois then the Illini would probably have a 5 year postseason ban and have to vacate every win they've ever had. North Carolina continues to get slaps on the wrist.

I've said all along that recruiting Chicago is fools gold for all but a few elite programs that can take the truly special out and use them.

Every school cheats to some degree or another.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:05 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Northside_Dan wrote:
?

How did any school in any sport become good? Kentucky wasn't always Kentucky etc.

Kentucky has been Kentucky for as long as anyone can remember.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:05 am 

Follow Bruce Pearl's example at Auburn, if he can get away with it this time. He's a snake oil salesman and a convicted cheat, but he's won wherever he's been with the kind of kids that can be sold on a U of I pitch. Hell he even got a taste of consistent winning at Tennessee until...

DePaul is doomed until, well, w/o an on campus arena or playing at the UC AND with friends of the program like the Meyer days of the 80's, no they're just doomed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:08 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Every school cheats to some degree or another.
I know they do but that really isn't my point. What Illinois and Depaul can get away with is much different than what Kansas and North Carolina can.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:10 am 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
UIUC is a settle school. The only Chicagoland folks who have it as a first choice are those not qualified to get in. I settled :(

Nobody thought about it like that in my time. It was a good school and close enough to home, yet far enough away. It had a real campus. It's the state school. I guess it might be a fallback for some guy who was fantasizing about getting into an Ivy, like Joel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:16 am 

The joke from Risky Business hits home. If you are a highly touted high school athlete from Chicagoland, it is unlikely Illinois is your first choice. If you are a top 5% student in high school, you have aspirations higher than UIUC. However, many of those students end up settling and going to UIUC because they cannot afford their top choice or did not get in. It's not just Ivy league asipriants, NW, UC, ND are preferred over UIUC. And yes, UIUC is a good school, rated in the mid-40's nationally.

When I went to high school, no one walked around wearing UIUC gear. Most wore ND or Michigan.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:17 am 

Ok they need to drop the banana bit.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:25 am 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
The joke from Risky Business hits home. If you are a highly touted high school athlete from Chicagoland, it is unlikely Illinois is your first choice. If you are a top 5% student in high school, you have aspirations higher than UIUC. However, many of those students end up settling and going to UIUC because they cannot afford their top choice or did not get in. It's not just Ivy league asipriants, NW, UC, ND are preferred over UIUC. And yes, UIUC is a good school, rated in the mid-40's nationally.

When I went to high school, no one walked around wearing UIUC gear. Most wore ND or Michigan.

But U of I should be a destination for top Illinois athletes. Why wouldn't you want to be The Man in your home state?

Anyway, I disagree with what you're saying, at least for guys our age. I know everything is different now. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten into Notre Dame. Catholic kid from a Chicago Catholic League school with a respectable grade point and high test scores. It just wasn't a place I would have ever considered going. It's just too damn Catholic. And University of Chicago had a reputation for being for real eggheads. I didn't want to kill myself. As it turned out I was in up to my eyeballs at Champaign. And Northwestern, yeah I was disappointed I couldn't get in there, but I'm an Evanston guy and that place held a lot of romance for me as a kid. For the average person, Evanston was a shitty place to go to school. The nightlife was zero. Even the fraternity system paled next to the nonsense downstate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
the most corrupt state in the union and we can't figure out how to bring in star athletes to make money for everybody but the athlete?? WTF Illinois?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I think Illinois has a couple issues. One it is a very good school but Illinois athletes may not want to go to a campus like that which is not flashy. Other kids just want to go far away where it si warm or "cool". Lastly, it is easier to agree to go to a made program rather than a being built back up one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:33 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
the most corrupt state in the union and we can't figure out how to bring in star athletes to make money for everybody but the athlete?? WTF Illinois?

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:36 am 

denisdman wrote:
I wouldn't cite the rankings to say that people wouldn't choose UIUC over others. Most of the ranking methodology used puts big schools like Illinois at such a disadvantage they have no real way of ever competing simply because they have more students and therefore a higher acceptance rate, lower retention rates, and lower graduation rates.

If Illinois were to cut their student population in half they'd likely be on par with Northwestern on the rankings.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:41 am 

I had to google what UIUC stood for, I had never seen it that way. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:42 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

But U of I should be a destination for top Illinois athletes. Why wouldn't you want to be The Man in your home state?

Anyway, I disagree with what you're saying, at least for guys our age. I know everything is different now. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten into Notre Dame. Catholic kid from a Chicago Catholic League school with a respectable grade point and high test scores. It just wasn't a place I would have ever considered going. It's just too damn Catholic. And University of Chicago had a reputation for being for real eggheads. I didn't want to kill myself. As it turned out I was in up to my eyeballs at Champaign. And Northwestern, yeah I was disappointed I couldn't get in there, but I'm an Evanston guy and that place held a lot of romance for me as a kid. For the average person, Evanston was a shitty place to go to school. The nightlife was zero. Even the fraternity system paled next to the nonsense downstate.

Thats what they were lamenting. The loss of our top their recruits. I don't know how Oliver Purnell or John Groce was going to convince Jabbari Parker not to play for Kryzewski or Calipari. I get what you're saying but like you said everything is different now for these kids. This isn't Aguirre or Cummings staying home to play for Ray Meyer. Thye want the most exposure they can get with the NBA pipeline. Throw in the stuff like our shitty weather and I cant see why a local kid would leave. Theres only so much sell in being able to eat beef sandwiches and deep dish pizza.

Last edited by badrogue17 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
all a kid wants in life is pussy. show him plenty of that and he'll come. no pun intended.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:54 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
all a kid wants in life is pussy. show him plenty of that and he'll come. no pun intended.

He can get that wherever he goes, they are not going to all boy colleges.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
badrogue17 wrote:
Goff and Perps lamenting the state of college basketball here. Why aren't DePaul and Illinois ( and Northwestern to a lesser degree) landing the home grown talent? So you're a blue chip recruit and Duke , Kentucky, and a couple other schools are after you but you should stay in this shithole city to play basketball , well just because . How are they supposed to compete with that? Force them to sign at gunpoint? Dumbass thoughts from 2 dopes.

So they are dumb for talking about this? It certainly merits discussion.
As a fan of college hoops and football, the current state of both is pathetic and unacceptable.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Scorehead on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
They're just pissed Illiniois lost and they had to work.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:13 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:

That's all well and good but teams like Memphis compete for national championships with Chicago players

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Thats what they were lamenting. The loss of our top their recruits. I don't know how Oliver Purnell or John Groce was going to convince Jabbari Parker not to play for Kryzewski or Calipari. I get what you're saying but like you said everything is different now for these kids. This isn't Aguirre or Cummings staying home to play for Ray Meyer. Thye want the most exposure they can get with the NBA pipeline. Throw in the stuff like our shitty weather and I cant see why a local kid would leave. Theres only so much sell in being able to eat beef sandwiches and deep dish pizza.

The regular guy is different than the athlete though. denis seems to regard Illinois as second rate and it isn't. As far as recruiting in basketball is concerned, Illinois can still own the state. Sure, a one and done guy might want to play for Calipari or Self. I'll bet Big Cliff has had a lot of second thoughts about dropping that fucking hat. It's not hard to get the train rolling in hoops. DePaul was down deeper than they are now in the 70s before Corzine and Ponsetto showed up. Football is a different story. It's a lot tougher to build and maintain a program.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:38 pm 

pizza_Place: massey's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

The regular guy is different than the athlete though. denis seems to regard Illinois as second rate and it isn't. As far as recruiting in basketball is concerned, Illinois can still own the state. Sure, a one and done guy might want to play for Calipari or Self. I'll bet Big Cliff has had a lot of second thoughts about dropping that fucking hat. It's not hard to get the train rolling in hoops. DePaul was down deeper than they are now in the 70s before Corzine and Ponsetto showed up. Football is a different story. It's a lot tougher to build and maintain a program.

Compared to other B1G schools nearby, Illinois IS second rate, all things considered. Local blue chip players like Kaminsky are not heading to Champaign when Wisconsin makes an offer. And DePaul? Please.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Calling Illinois 2nd rate is being generous.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Kaminsky went to Wisconsin because Illinois offered Nanna Egwu a scholarship instead. Egwu was rated in the Top 100 and Kaminsky wasn't rated in the Top 150.

I'm curious to see what kindof pro Kaminsky will be. I already know Egwu will be making his money in Europe.