It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
2 minutes in and the asswipe factor is at a 10. God forbid they be forced to watch an NCAA game that features a team playing defense. 5 minutes in and Goff brings up race. Business as usual.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
badrogue17 wrote:
2 minutes in and the asswipe factor is at a 10. God forbid they be forced to watch an NCAA game that features a team playing defense. 5 minutes in and Goff brings up race. Business as usual.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
badrogue17 wrote:
5 minutes in and Goff brings up race.

I blame Starbucks.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:25 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
badrogue17 wrote:

I don't think it's the defense part. It's the fact they can't score for shit. I side with Goff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:20 am 

Perhaps the truest indictment of what "brothers" know and like is reduced to the depth of sports acumen this one particular brother possesses.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's
redskingreg wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I don't think it's the defense part. It's the fact they can't score for shit. I side with Goff.

This. College basketball is ugly but it's fun to watch 40 games over the course of 4 days. Anyone who touts the "superior fundamentals!" of college hoops is kidding themselves. Missing an open jumper ain't fundamentals.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:32 am 

Gamblin_rimmace wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

This. College basketball is ugly but it's fun to watch 40 games over the course of 4 days. Anyone who touts the "superior fundamentals!" of college hoops is kidding themselves. Missing an open jumper ain't fundamentals.

Agree. They should be able to knock 'em down just like Derrick Rose does.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:11 am 

Gamblin_rimmace wrote:
redskingreg wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

The Bulls average 44% on field goals.

44% would be good enough to be the 47th best shooting percentage of the teams in the NCAA tournament and 122nd of all division 1 schools.

I guess the Bulls are ugly too!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Gamblin_rimmace wrote:
redskingreg wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

44% would be good enough to be the 47th best shooting percentage of the teams in the NCAA tournament and 122nd of all division 1 schools.

imagine if the college 3 point was 3 foot further back how many more missed 3's we'd be seeing?

the bulls are a tough watch right now on offense.... btw you had a 4 seed that couldnt break a press last night... that should tell you all you need to know about the quality of the college game

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:21 am 

Derrick Rose missed 20 shots and had 11 turnovers in a game recently. He can sure break that press though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:28 am 

billypootons wrote:
imagine if the college 3 point was 3 foot further back how many more missed 3's we'd be seeing?
It's actually the opposite. They say that the current three point line has a negative impact on scoring in general.

billypootons wrote:
the bulls are a tough watch right now on offense.... btw you had a 4 seed that couldnt break a press last night... that should tell you all you need to know about the quality of the college game
Another illogical statement. How is a press working an indictment of the game? Are blocked shots and steals also an indictment? Why don't we force defensive players to put their hands in their pants. Games would be 145-144!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:22 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I've noticed that anytime a former player who is now an analyst, like Carlos Pena, gets interviewed, the question will always come up "are you surprised how hard it is to be a member of the media now?"

Or, even worse, the leading "do you have a newfound respect for people that covered you now that you've been on the other side of it?" I think Pena got both questions.

You can practically hear the backslapping going on in the studio amidst the ear to ear smiles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Gamblin_rimmace wrote:
redskingreg wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Have you seen the Bulls recently? It's pretty ugly on offense. I'm not trying to completely shit on college basketball because the first weekend of the tourney is great, but the pace of the game is slower and the players are worse. Watching a team like Virginia struggle to break 50 in a 40 minute game is ugly IMO. Some great games, some ugly ones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:41 pm 

Gamblin_rimmace wrote:
Have you seen the Bulls recently? It's pretty ugly on offense. I'm not trying to completely shit on college basketball because the first weekend of the tourney is great, but the pace of the game is slower and the players are worse. Watching a team like Virginia struggle to break 50 in a 40 minute game is ugly IMO. Some great games, some ugly ones.
The Bulls are about league average.

You are right there are good games and bad games. The scores vary greatly in college. You just concentrate on the bad ones though. The best game of the tournament was probably Butler-ND. The shooting percentage was low for Butler and below average for Notre Dame but who cares? It was a better game than most of the 80 point games in the tournament.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:48 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Gamblin_rimmace wrote:
The Bulls are about league average.

You are right there are good games and bad games. The scores vary greatly in college. You just concentrate on the bad ones though. The best game of the tournament was probably Butler-ND. The shooting percentage was low for Butler and below average for Notre Dame but who cares? It was a better game than most of the 80 point games in the tournament.

Variance in scoring/style of play is a fair point, and it's part of why I love the tournament. Butler-ND was easily the best game, hands down, but I also found myself really enjoying UNC-Arkansas because it was a little faster paced than most games (despite some mediocre shooting %s)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:53 pm 

Don't get me wrong. They need to make some changes to speed the game up. The shot clock and three point line need adjustment.

I just don't really care if a team shoots 35% or 60%.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don't get me wrong. They need to make some changes to speed the game up. The shot clock and three point line need adjustment.

Let's speed the game up and shoot better percentages are things that are at odds with each other...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:30 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Let's speed the game up and shoot better percentages are things that are at odds with each other...
No they aren't.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:31 pm 

Also, no they don't need to shoot a higher percentage.