It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mike North columnist
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: LouMal
https://www.gamingtoday.com/columnist/bio/6735

North presently hosts several radio programs for Fox Sports Radio on Saturday 6PM-9PM and Sunday evenings from 9PM - midnight. He appears weekly on Tastytrade.com, a financial network. North is a featured contributor to The Big John and Amy Show (Tuesday mornings) on AM 560 WIND. In 2010 North formed his own production company Lucky Dog Productions. All of North’s video segments, as well as a variety of other programming, can be found on The Mike North Entertainment Network at NorthToNorth.com or Dailyherald.com. Mike also appears as a regular guest on Mancow TV on Ch50. Mike has a weekly show on Sundays 10:00AM-Noon 560AMTheAnswer called The Mike North Pre-Game Show sponsored by Playsportslive.com.

Post subject: Re: Mike North columnist
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
He writes for the DH. They usually bury his columns on the back page or deep within the sports section. From the tidbits I have read, his columns are terrible. "The Rebel Inside".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
He's out there hustling all these gigs trying to make up for the fact he walked away from 600 grand at the score.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
jimmypasta wrote:
He's out there hustling all these gigs trying to make up for the fact he walked away from 600 grand at the score.

$800 grand. Norths columns are no worse than the others.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:52 pm 

North Sucks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Scorehead wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

$800 grand. Norths columns are no worse than the others.

Whatever it was, it ranks up there with the worst radio contract decisions of all time. Garry Meier is in that club also.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Very interesting, Q. I did not know that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
jimmypasta wrote:

It was $750K plus bonus.

In the end, does he even mae 6 figures anymore when you add it all up and get the real NET? I highly doubt it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:06 pm 

bigfan wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

It was $750K plus bonus.

In the end, does he even mae 6 figures anymore when you add it all up and get the real NET? I highly doubt it.

He's making 6 figures at FSR. Hes got a national show on 343 stations. The FSR lineup is probably the best of all the nationals...North, Patrick, Mohr, Maller.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Scorehead on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:46 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
It was a sucker bet.

The dollar amount was nothing of note, and, from what I was told, there were unique stipulations in the contract wherein he could see himself being shown the door very easily, and very soon, thereafter.

Simply put, They Reinsdorf'd him. They never really wanted him to re-sign with the station.

What one side considers stipulations the side should consider negotiations. The hard stipulation was the lower dollar amount from the previous contract, the negotiation should have been to remain on the air. Very, very few in the business are totally immune from being yanked off the air.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:21 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
No Clever Moniker wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:
It was a sucker bet.

The dollar amount was nothing of note, and, from what I was told, there were unique stipulations in the contract wherein he could see himself being shown the door very easily, and very soon, thereafter.

Simply put, They Reinsdorf'd him. They never really wanted him to re-sign with the station.

What one side considers stipulations the side should consider negotiations. The hard stipulation was the lower dollar amount from the previous contract, the negotiation should have been to remain on the air. Very, very few in the business are totally immune from being yanked off the air.

I'm pretty sure North had lost touch with how many enemies he made at the station.
There was an active counter-insurgency going on, and North was wearing blinders, thinking that his past contributions and founder status gave him some sort of immunity to change.

In truth, it was a coup, and it was completed next year when Murph was wiped as well.

That was the beginning of the new Score and the war against meatballs and callers. Sad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:49 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Q.Bovifs wrote:
There was an active counter-insurgency going on, and North was wearing blinders, thinking that his past contributions and founder status gave him some sort of immunity to change.

History will repeat itself. Always does.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:58 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
No Clever Moniker wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:
It was a sucker bet.

I'm pretty sure North had lost touch with how many enemies he made at the station.

In truth, it was a coup, and it was completed next year when Murph was wiped as well.

Q., North's contract negotiations were covered by several media watchers. My morning laugh came almost daily with North's Soprano-like responses to the coverage. Ratings trumps colleague's sentiments IF one has a professional negotiator working for them. Had he been aware of the landscape changes he would have taken the recession contract. He played chicken with management and lost when they didn't swerve. The rest has been a history that has proven them right.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
You guys can rip on North all you want,but since he has been gone,WSCR has gone down the crapper.

Morning Team is OK but Mully should not be "leading" that broadcast.
Danny Mac was not interested or involved. Speigs is OK at times.
The late afternoon crew are two mean and crabby dudes.
LoHO is fine by himself but who listens by that time?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:15 pm 

No argument here on the direction WSCR has taken. Had North (and his ego) not have become Frankenstein he would probably still be with the station today and it would be a much better station for long time listeners.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:18 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
His biggest mistake was to let his wife rep him to save the cut.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:38 am 

pittmike wrote:
His biggest mistake was to let his wife rep him to save the cut.

but that is pure North. North tried to treat the station like it was his city for which he was the mayor. He tried to get family on SCR payroll. He put his wife in charge of what was most likely a tax scam position by incorporating Licorice Productions. Then, since she was an executive of Licorice, he thought she was qualified to be an agent...and promptly negotiated Doug and OB right off the air for a while. Then negotiated Mike off the air. This qualified her to be an exec at Webio, which was a scam from the beginning. I can only imagine that North thought he was scamming Hernandez while all the while Hernandez was scamming North.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:41 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
good dolphin wrote:
I can only imagine that North thought he was scamming Hernandez while all the while Hernandez was scamming North.

There's no doubt about that. I've found that the easiest guy to con is another con man.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:47 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
It was a sucker bet.

Seacrest kind of detailed it. The contract kind of set up North to be off the air within a year. Still, one year at 800K is 800K more than he made.

North made his bed at SCR. He engineered the breakup of both Monsters and HFC. He tried to take the station towards general talk, then doubled down in trying to make it right wing radio. He stepped on toes in marketing by demanding a piece of their commissions for anything tangentially related to him that they brought in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:53 am 

Scorehead wrote:
bigfan wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

It was $750K plus bonus.

He's making 6 figures at FSR. Hes got a national show on 343 stations. The FSR lineup is probably the best of all the nationals...North, Patrick, Mohr, Maller.

I thought he has a Saturday and Sunday night show.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:57 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I can only imagine that North thought he was scamming Hernandez while all the while Hernandez was scamming North.

There's no doubt about that. I've found that the easiest guy to con is another con man.

I still don't know how the Norths got out of that one unscathed. Her being an exec and North being the chief recruiter had all the makings of two patsies set up to take the fall. I suppose if it lasted longer they would have been deep into things. Still, their are plenty of North fingerprints on Webio.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:01 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I still don't know how the Norths got out of that one unscathed. Her being an exec and North being the chief recruiter had all the makings of two patsies set up to take the fall. I suppose if it lasted longer they would have been deep into things. Still, their are plenty of North fingerprints on Webio.

Yeah, I have to think he burned some bridges with that. Chet doesn't seem to blame him. I don't know if the Webio had anything to do with his falling out with Fritzy, but I would guess it does.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:05 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Yeah, I have to think he burned some bridges with that. Chet doesn't seem to blame him. I don't know if the Webio had anything to do with his falling out with Fritzy, but I would guess it does.

I didn't know they were no longer friends. Mike destroyed a lot of relationships along the way. I don't think he was nearly as welcomed in Rogers Park at the end as he used to be. Many of those characters that made him likable when he started were no longer his friends at the end.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:48 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
bigfan wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

It was $750K plus bonus.

I thought he has a Saturday and Sunday night show.

North is on in morning drive Monday through Friday, & he has a weekend show.