It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3/22: Shep and Herb
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

They're on in the kitchen so I'm catching a little bit of them when I grab beers or if the games aren't close.

They amuse me. At least today they do. They're bad. Neither can speak well. Shep's nasally voice is getting worse I think. They say dumb stuff. But it's amusing for a Sunday afternoon.

These two are "grinders". Not much talent or smarts but they are "Try hard" guys. Much like the white NCAA teams in the tourney.

Post subject: Re: 3/22: Shep and Herb
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hey, a show title for these two rising stars. Combine the names.

Call it "The Sherpie Report" "The Sherbie Report" or simply "Sherpies"

CSFMB: That's bad.

Beardown: I know. I've been drinking a little.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I would say I have had the pleasure of listening to Herb a total of 1 hour, over at least 5 times and each conversation has somehow led back to Univerity of Illinois. Time to expand the horizon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
btw is anyone here surprised that beardown seems to be reloading his alcohol at 1245pm? =D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

sinicalypse wrote:
btw is anyone here surprised that beardown seems to be reloading his alcohol at 1245pm? =D

Don't totally understand this. But what the hell? It's a Sunday and I'm gambling on the NCAA tourney games. Hell yeah I'm drinking early. What's the difference of cracking a beer at noon for a Bears game?

I'm fine right now by the way. I'm typing well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:45 pm 

Beardown wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

Don't totally understand this. But what the hell? It's a Sunday and I'm gambling on the NCAA tourney games. Hell yeah I'm drinking early. What's the difference of cracking a beer at noon for a Bears game?

1) this is something like the 2nd or 3rd time you've directly responded to me on the board over the last ~6yrs. it's an honor to know that you dont ignore me.

2) it's called a joke dude, although your passionate defense might lead some perceptive people to wonder why you're so defensive

3) don't mind the syringe hanging out of my arm, it's just an aesthetic. i'm posting fine dude!

4) that's a joke too in case you got confused again.

Beardown: :shock:

sini: 8)

Mitch: I hope beardown doesn't figure out that i hang on his every word.

Drinky: I wish i married a younger chick.... dammit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

sinicalypse wrote:
Beardown wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

1) this is something like the 2nd or 3rd time you've directly responded to me on the board over the last ~6yrs. it's an honor to know that you dont ignore me.

2) it's called a joke dude, although your passionate defense might lead some perceptive people to wonder why you're so defensive

3) don't mind the syringe hanging out of my arm, it's just an aesthetic. i'm posting fine dude!

4) that's a joke too in case you got confused again.

Beardown: :shock:

sini: 8)

Mitch: I hope beardown doesn't figure out that i hang on his every word.

Drinky: I wish i married a younger chick.... dammit.

Well done, kid.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:55 pm 

hey beardown, while you're actually responding to me i wanna ask you.... are you enjoying goff and spiegel? and furthermore, what do you think's gonna happen when terry goes to pasture? will it be bernstein and goff, or does goffralopithicus have the common sense to realize that'd be the worst thing he could do for his career?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

1. I only catch Goff and Spiegel live when driving for lunch for the most part. But I podcast a lot of the trannies. Goff is the same as when he left. Insecure and overly sensitive to criticisms. Yet rips on others for being this way. He's a confused, ignorant, long-winded-talking mess. And he's fixated on race too much.

2. I think Bernstein will go solo when Terry retires. Cuz Bernstein wants more money. This is the way for him to get it. Mitch will agree. He'll convince Zim. Cuz Bernstein will demand it. Mitch is scared of Bernstein.

Last edited by Beardown on Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:16 pm 

i think goff and terry could be a good show, especially if terry was able to give goff some of that confidence and security. alas, we'll never get to find out beyond the probably 1-5 times they've done it over the years. it always seems like it's rare for bernstein to miss a day like terry gets 5x as much vacation or something.

i like your angle about bernstein going solo for $$$. before he was SJWstein his solo shows were lauded around these parts (hell, didnt he do a solo show filling in for dan patrick once?) and even tho terry offers no resistance with his rubberstamp (which it's hard to fault him for cuz he takes the path of least resistance to his $500k or whatever), perhaps not having someone to sound off against will make dan a bit less demagogue-y and perhaps a bit more straightforward and "national"/corporate/etc.

btw do you think laurence ever gets to sniff another daytime gig or is he forever in his niche at night?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:48 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
All we need here is a Frank response and this thread just might be HOF worthy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
I caught a little bit of this and heard Heb confess he "has a thing" for watching internet videos of people popping black heads. True story.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:42 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Goff is really just awful. I don't know if Rozner wasn't interested in a full-time radio gig or if Mitch and Zim really thought Goff was a better choice, but what a mistake. Listening to Rozner sitting in was a pleasure. He can get annoying with some of his bullshit like "McGowan" or his Twitter beef with Canucks fans, but for the most part it's like listening to an adult professional rather than some goof doing shtick/putting on some pseudo-street black urban act. Maybe Mitch thought the Score needed some flavor rather than another Really Smart Guy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:51 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Goff is really just awful. I don't know if Rozner wasn't interested in a full-time radio gig or if Mitch and Zim really thought Goff was a better choice, but what a mistake. Listening to Rozner sitting in was a pleasure. He can get annoying with some of his bullshit like "McGowan" or his Twitter beef with Canucks fans, but for the most part it's like listening to an adult professional rather than some goof doing shtick/putting on some pseudo-street black urban act. Maybe Mitch thought the Score needed some flavor rather than another Really Smart Guy.

At some point you need a voice that isn't a white guy over 40 don't you?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:03 am 
Site Admin

Matches Malone wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I never think of it that way. I just want the guy I'm listening to to be interesting. It's like sports. I don't care what you look like, just play. I'll grant you that maybe some people care about that, like where is the black voice? But when the black voices are just bernstein clones, what difference does it make? Not that Jason is exactly that. I liked him when he was the guy popping in on B&b to call out bernstein on his bullshit, but I find him best in small doses.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:10 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I never think of it that way. I just want the guy I'm listening to to be interesting. It's like sports. I don't care what you look like, just play. I'll grant you that maybe some people care about that, like where is the black voice? But when the black voices are just bernstein clones, what difference does it make? Not that Jason is exactly that. I liked him when he was the guy popping in on B&b to call out bernstein on his bullshit, but I find him best in small doses.

I agree that what's most important is a good interesting listen. On the other hand, when you're seemingly only getting one perceived point of view something how can that be enjoyable. You're also correct in that what's the point if they're just like the others. I guess as long as 1000 continues to play it safe there's no incentive for the Score to change.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:11 am 
1000 CLUB

I want a twenty something lesbian latina at THE SCORE!!!! We've never had one.

THAT'S THE VOICE THAT NEEDS TO BE HEARD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
i said it a million times. there's a minimum requirement of sports knowledge to have this gig. people in their 20s don't know shit about anything more than 10 years ago. you gotta know who jerome walton and marcus fizer are for cryin out loud.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:42 am 

Beardown wrote:

If she followed sports at least it would be a different voice. A different point of view other than jaded sports writers would be welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Beardown wrote:

Beardown + bigfan = ...MATCH?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:52 pm 

I heard a bit of them. They're a couple of oblivious lunkheads. You can't be a smug neckbeard to listeners and expect to develop any kind of fan base. I heard Schuster the same day or the next and I got to thinking I bet guys like Shep and Herb think they are way better than a dude like Schuster. The truth is they are just younger versions of him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Jesus fucking Christ Goff. Would you calm the fuck down and stop yelling . You're Belizian Mully. It's like there's no commas in your speech. Can't get the words out fast enough. It's like you've never been on the radio before .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:
Jesus fucking Christ Goff. Would you calm the fuck down and stop yelling . You're Belizian Mully. It's like there's no commas in your speech. Can't get the words out fast enough. It's like you've never been on the radio before .

He's terrified that if he takes a breath someone else may start talking.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:47 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

well in fairness "goff" is indeed one letter away from "goof" and i've been on record over the years in saying that god has a pretty awesome sense of humor.

Last edited by sinicalypse on Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Zizou wrote:
I heard a bit of them. They're a couple of oblivious lunkheads. You can't be a smug neckbeard to listeners and expect to develop any kind of fan base. I heard Schuster the same day or the next and I got to thinking I bet guys like Shep and Herb think they are way better than a dude like Schuster. The truth is they are just younger versions of him.

I cannot fucking stand Schuster. I'm willing to give $20 to the charity of his choice if he can get through one fucking segment without saying evey or literally, when it's anything but literal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:48 pm 

Schuster got a weekend show the other day, drops the "who were the best Chicago high school basketball players you saw?" bomb and the chicago-area telephone system went down from all the old meatballs calling in. Schu was just laying his balls on the table for Shep and Herb to gawk at.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:49 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
putting on some pseudo-street black urban act.

hey JORR, i gave the board a euphemism for that phrase years ago, but nobody ever reads my posts cuz i'm a nutjob. just call it "christmas in hollis" and at least i'll know what the fuck you're talking about =D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
Schuster got a weekend show the other day, drops the "who were the best Chicago high school basketball players you saw?"

Did anyone say Cazzie Russell or Art Hicks or LeArthur Scott?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:50 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[Did anyone say Cazzie Russell or Art Hicks or LeArthur Scott?

I was in and out but somebody dropped a Johnny Kerr!