It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:46 am 

I've always enjoyed reading this website and love the back-and-forth that goes on between people on any given topic. In my quest to continue following my passion of covering sports, and getting involved in good conversations/debates, I started writing a blog which can be found here: https://chiponsports.sportsblog.com/

I will be posting thoughts as often as I can and would love to get feedback from you guys to see what you think.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:17 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
What are your thoughts on Clash of Clans?

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:02 am 

any nudity at that site?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Will you be writing about soon-to-be dead Hall of Famers?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:28 am 

Furious Styles, unfortunately, I am not a big video game player. I will do the baseball, football, and golf games, but that's about it. I do get a kick out of the Clash of Clans commercials, and a quick internet search does reveal a number of places for cheat codes.

Good dolphin, I'm sorry, but there is no nudity. I can't afford to get in trouble with either the web host or the wife.

Spmack, do you have anyone in particular you are thinking about?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:33 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Chip, if you're looking for content, we should merge. I created a CSFMB writing site a while back, I should check on it more often...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:47 am 

What are your thoughts on:

Win/Loss record vs WHIP?
Bryant, Send him to AAA for 12 days, YES OR NO?

Who will be the first all-star?
(A)Rodon,(B)Solar,(C)Bryant or choice (D) None of the above (E)All of the above (F)Other

Cutler, Keep him or cut him?

Rose, Done or comeback player of the year next year?

Favorite chicago player of all time?

and most importantly.... Favorite sports talk host?
Least favorite host?

Welcome to CSFMB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:51 am 

chip egan wrote:

Just wait for David Spada to interview them. That will be your way of knowing that time isn't on their side. :D

Roger Craig is on the clock now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:04 pm 

Juiced wrote:
What are your thoughts on:

Win/Loss record vs WHIP?
Bryant, Send him to AAA for 12 days, YES OR NO?

Who will be the first all-star?
(A)Rodon,(B)Solar,(C)Bryant or choice (D) None of the above (E)All of the above (F)Other

Cutler, Keep him or cut him?

Rose, Done or comeback player of the year next year?

Favorite chicago player of all time?

and most importantly.... Favorite sports talk host?
Least favorite host?

Welcome to CSFMB

Juiced, I've been with the board for a while and have enjoyed it for as long as I can remember. To start I have to go with WHIP. Simple reason is that a W/L record really doesn't tell the story of how good a pitcher is because of the times he may have tossed a gem but lost 1-0 or 2-1. I think WHIP is a better indicator because it places emphasis on a pitcher's actual performance.

I support moving Bryant down for the 12 days. They are getting another full year of service out of him for it, so why not? I'll trade 12 days for 162 games. Cub fans have waited for so long, what's another 12 days.

I think Bryant will be the first of the group to make the All-Star team.

Cutler has to stay only because there is no other good alternative out there. The free agent list was weak at best, and the draft is not going to produce anyone who will be outstanding. I'm not sold on either Mariotta or Winston.

I thought Rose had a shot at it this year if he was able to stay healthy. I don't think he'll ever return to his MVP form, but he can be a solid piece for a contending team.

Walter Payton was my favorite of all time.

Favorite sports talk host is Dan Patrick. Least favorite is Mike North.

Spmack, I'll keep tabs on Craig for you. Perhaps Yogi Berra. He has four years on Craig.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:32 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
chip egan wrote:

smart money's on jason goff.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:26 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
chip egan wrote:
To start I have to go with WHIP. Simple reason is that a W/L record really doesn't tell the story of how good a pitcher is because of the times he may have tossed a gem but lost 1-0 or 2-1. I think WHIP is a better indicator because it places emphasis on a pitcher's actual performance.

That line of thinking is based on a faulty premise, but it's been repeated so often in recent history that it has become accepted as indisputable truth. The object of the game is not to keep runners off base.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:51 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
chip egan wrote:

Sini, this is the type of bullshit I'm talking about. I haven't mentioned you in any way since you sent me PM's and crazy twitter messages at 3 in the morning or something telling me to leave you alone. If I can agree to that, you can't keep cashing this "spmack and goff" check.

This will be the LAST time I'll talk about it. Got it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:12 am 

spmack wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
chip egan wrote:

Sini, this is the type of bullshit I'm talking about. I haven't mentioned you in any way since you sent me PM's and crazy twitter messages at 3 in the morning or something telling me to leave you alone. If I can agree to that, you can't keep cashing this "spmack and goff" check.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNN SPMACK JUST GOT ETHERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see dude? all those times you were a sanctimonious prick to me on the board like "enough sini" when i said that pharoahe monch was the best rapper from new york (i'm not allowed to have opinions in public on topics that spmack wants to be racist about), or the other reference i just made.... all i'm doing to you is what you've done to me on the board for a long time dude...

and you can't take it back. i just made you crack right here in the same way you kept on trying to do it to me, and very publicly i might add... and whaddya know... you kept on cashing the "sini is racist" check and i kept on cashing the "spmack and goff are DL" check and welp, now you know how i felt dude. and in a very public way too i might add, just like you did to me.

and btw is that an implicit or implied threat you gave me about the LAST time/ i made it clear to you every time i talked shit to you that i have no beef with you IRL and i'd just annoy you online... when you say shit like this.... wow. very murky indeed. i hope everyone takes note of this. this is why ex radio guy seemed to think you'd take cycy's nudes and hold them over her head when you got famous... there's possibly a darkside to spmack.

for what it's worth, i've shit talked people online and had them boast they hired PIs to come and get me before. if you meant to imply there will be IRL consequences for kicking your ass at messageboarding time and time again to settle some e-beef you started with me, welp, lol.... dude... you have no idea about me. not that i'd kick your ass, but like.... haaaa. dude. you aint the only one watching me buddy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:15 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
chip egan wrote:
To start I have to go with WHIP. Simple reason is that a W/L record really doesn't tell the story of how good a pitcher is because of the times he may have tossed a gem but lost 1-0 or 2-1. I think WHIP is a better indicator because it places emphasis on a pitcher's actual performance.

That line of thinking is based on a faulty premise, but it's been repeated so often in recent history that it has become accepted as indisputable truth. The object of the game is not to keep runners off base.

The pitchers object is to keep runs off the board. Keeping runners off base is a great way to do that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:17 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
chip egan wrote:

The pitchers object is to keep runs off the board. Keeping runners off base is a great way to do that.

The pitcher's object is to allow less runs than the pitcher(s) he is facing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:26 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
chip egan wrote:

The pitcher's object is to allow less runs than the pitcher(s) he is facing.

In other words, trying to keep runs off the board.

WHIP is a good stat. It tells you a lot about what kind of pitcher you have. It doesnt mean Wins are meaningless.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:27 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
spmack wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
chip egan wrote:

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNN SPMACK JUST GOT ETHERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see dude? all those times you were a sanctimonious prick to me on the board like "enough sini" when i said that pharoahe monch was the best rapper from new york (i'm not allowed to have opinions in public on topics that spmack wants to be racist about), or the other reference i just made.... all i'm doing to you is what you've done to me on the board for a long time dude...

and you can't take it back. i just made you crack right here in the same way you kept on trying to do it to me, and very publicly i might add... and whaddya know... you kept on cashing the "sini is racist" check and i kept on cashing the "spmack and goff are DL" check and welp, now you know how i felt dude. and in a very public way too i might add, just like you did to me.

and btw is that an implicit or implied threat you gave me about the LAST time/ i made it clear to you every time i talked shit to you that i have no beef with you IRL and i'd just annoy you online... when you say shit like this.... wow. very murky indeed. i hope everyone takes note of this. this is why ex radio guy seemed to think you'd take cycy's nudes and hold them over her head when you got famous... there's possibly a darkside to spmack.

for what it's worth, i've shit talked people online and had them boast they hired PIs to come and get me before. if you meant to imply there will be IRL consequences for kicking your ass at messageboarding time and time again to settle some e-beef you started with me, welp, lol.... dude... you have no idea about me. not that i'd kick your ass, but like.... haaaa. dude. you aint the only one watching me buddy.

Since you have a lot of time on your hands, show me one post where I said you were racist. I'll be here all day.

All I said was to stop using the N-word in a public forum because not everyone is ok with that. I know that I'm not ok with it. You were warned about it by Big Fan and you kept doing it.

Just like you agreed that you wouldn't mention me on the board anymore, and you did it again. You go back on a lot of your shit.

I'm done with this shit, man. If you want to continue to make jokes and do creepy shit like this, go ahead.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:33 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:

WHIP is a good stat. It tells you a lot about what kind of pitcher you have. It doesnt mean Wins are meaningless.

I didn't say WHIP wasn't a good stat, did I? It's highly valuable for a reliever. But a starting pitcher doesn't work that way. In fact, sometimes it's to his benefit to allow a run in order to prevent more runs.

Obviously, there is correlation between baserunners and runs scored. But I don't believe the best starting pitcher is necessarily the one who allows the least runs. And the best starting pitcher usually isn't the one who allows the least baserunners.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:39 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I didn't say WHIP wasn't a good stat, did I? It's highly valuable for a reliever. But a starting pitcher doesn't work that way. In fact, sometimes it's to his benefit to allow a run in order to prevent more runs.

Obviously, there is correlation between baserunners and runs scored. But I don't believe the best starting pitcher is necessarily the one who allows the least runs. And the best starting pitcher usually isn't the one who allows the least baserunners.

I know your stance but your posts in this thread seemed to imply you dont like WHIP.

I think its valuable for starting pitchers. And I think the best pitcher usually is around the top in WHIP

Top 5 MLB in WHIP last year
Kershaw
Felix
Cueto
Sale
Wainwright

Pretty good list

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:44 am 

like i said spmackman, i'm better at shit talking on the internet than you. i figured annoying you on twitter would annoy you and oh boy did it annoy you cuz next time i came here i had the cease and desist order. god, you love ordering me around.... i guess that's why you're a real respected board member and i'm a dumb little junkie that nobody should pay no mind to.

anyways other than the moderately amusing fact i never tweeted you as @sinicalypse13 so lol again thanks for letting me know the message was delivered cuz that was a test where i wanted to see how deep you were in to scoping my shit out for WHATEVER reason/s..... yeah dude, i was planning to give this up last night actually but when i saw that softball in this thread i had to see where were you were at and now i know where you're at so i'm at a good place.

edit: oh wait i followed you.... or i did for a second and undid it? yeah i can be a prick sometimes.

my job here is done. i will remove that @sinicalypse13 bio now that i know it has served its purpose.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:56 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
And I think the best pitcher usually is around the top in WHIP

Of course. But it penalizes a certain type of pitcher. Mark Buehrle allows more baserunners than Javy Vazquez or Jeff Samardzija but they certainly aren't better starting pitchers than Buehrle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:04 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
And I think the best pitcher usually is around the top in WHIP

Of course. But it penalizes a certain type of pitcher. Mark Buehrle allows more baserunners than Javy Vazquez or Jeff Samardzija but they certainly aren't better starting pitchers than Buehrle.

Yeah, but we know that. We can adjust our thinking. Its not perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's

[At the Maison Derrière, Marge is doing a ventriloquist act.]

Marge: So, Twiggy, I hear you and your husband, Woody, just had a baby. What did you name him?

"Twiggy": Chip!

[Rim shot. Nobody laughs.]

Homer: Take it off!!!

Bart: [as a bouncer] All right, Dad, you've been warned, let's go. [takes him away]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:42 am 

Very Nice, Don Tiny. I like the more contemporary reference as opposed to anything regarding Chip from "My Three Sons."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Do you go out to breakfast with your pals Stinky Pete and One Eye Joe, then rate it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:08 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Christ on a wheel we're not having the wins v. Whip argument again are we?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

Darkside wrote:

If you want to.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

If you want to.

How many times have you lost that argument? Why would you want to do it again.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Darkside wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

If you want to.

How many times have you lost that argument?

I've never lost that argument one time. In fact, I've earned many converts among those who aren't sheep taking their cues from the zeitgeist established by popular fan websites.