It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doug Stories
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Even if he was around, I would still tell this story, it was so Doug...

One morning, I think it was a Saturday morning show, he might have been on with Mac. It was a sponsored 2 hour show before the Senior Bowl which CBS was going to have on the air and they were trying to make it something, so it was kind of a draft preview show and a Senior Bowl pre game show.

Only so much to discuss about the senior bowl over 2 hours and about 90 mins into the show Mac (or whoever the other host was) asks Doug if he played in the Senior Bowl and does it really help or hurt your draft status...

Doug, after 90 mins of a 2 hour show about the Senior Bowl adds 'yeah, I played in it,,,,I was the MVP of the game in 1966!"

Silence and laughter from the other host...."you were the MVP of this game and didnt share that?"

Doug 'I didnt want to make it about me"

The Best!

Post subject: Re: Doug Stories
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
http://www.seniorbowl.com/game-history-gamescores.php

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
redskingreg wrote:

Come on now, does that make you feel good about yourself?

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:22 pm 

Its one of those meaningless games. Blue-Gray, North-South, etc,,,,,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
DannyB wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

Come on now, does that make you feel good about yourself?

No.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
On a debbie downer note, I remember a show from years ago when North had him on in the morning. Dougie apparently missed his mark as a part of some dumb bit and North went crazy and started screaming at him, calling him stupid, etc. Doug was helpless. I don't think his embarrassment was fake. It was pretty horrible.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:39 pm 

DannyB wrote:
On a debbie downer note, I remember a show from years ago when North had him on in the morning. Dougie apparently missed his mark as a part of some dumb bit and North went crazy and started screaming at him, calling him stupid, etc. Doug was helpless. I don't think his embarrassment was fake. It was pretty horrible.

North was an asshole to people there. Always wish I remembered the exact date of one great MIKE NORTH show....they did the open, nothing was ready, North apologized and went to commercials...either a mistake was made or someone intentionally left a little volume on Norths mic, but under the commercial you could hear North tearing into everyone for not being prepared for him, unprofessional, lazy, ungrateful, etc etc...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
bigfan wrote:
DannyB wrote:

North was an asshole to people there. Always wish I remembered the exact date of one great MIKE NORTH show....they did the open, nothing was ready, North apologized and went to commercials...either a mistake was made or someone intentionally left a little volume on Norths mic, but under the commercial you could hear North tearing into everyone for not being prepared for him, unprofessional, lazy, ungrateful, etc etc...

Coast 2 Coast has some fantastic stories, about what a raging asswipe Nort is.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:49 pm 

Remember, I hung out with his producers back in the day. What was said in the backyard, stayed in the backyard, unless you asked me.

I would even say that this very site is thanks to Jessie Rogers saying "Hey, we are moving to 670 AM"...I went in and clicked Score670.com..$12...and done.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
bigfan wrote:
Remember, I hung out with his producers back in the day. What was said in the backyard, stayed in the backyard, unless you asked me.

I would even say that this very site is thanks to Jessie Rogers saying "Hey, we are moving to 670 AM"...I went in and clicked Score670.com..$12...and done.

Too bad you didn't also think of 670thescore.com.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:50 pm 

North South shrine game MVP 1965. Doug Buffone

How about some suggestions around here?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen
bigfan wrote:
DannyB wrote:

My pops used to bowl in a league with North and said he was THE biggest Caller Bob muscle he's ever met.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:04 am 

Chus wrote:
bigfan wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Didn't Coast have a segment on North's show at some point before North decided he and his brother in law were much better at picking games?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:05 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
redskingreg wrote:

1999, Cade McNown, lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:09 am 

Mike has a lot of flaws. Most of them are based in that he is always hustling. He has always had to promote himself to get anything in life. It leads to a self centered mindset.

Still, Mike has done a lot of good for a lot of people through the years.

You take the good with the bad.

I think he has kind of gone off the deep end in the past decade. None of the people I know who were close friends of his seem to be close friends anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:26 am 

Doug was one of those rare people who both played the sport professionally and loved the sport as a fan. I watched several games with him and learned that it was okay for a grown man to cry when his team lost. In 1994, WSCR had a listener appreciation event at Moretti's on Jackson and Doug was present. The weather was like a monsoon and the Bears honored Butkus and Sayers at half time. Doug was upset that the weather was so bad for the ceremony, but the 33-6 outcome against the Packers had him in tears. I watched another game with him in Lansing where they Bears lost and again his eyes were moist at the end of the game. Another time while watching a game I addressed him about his fellings about the team and learned that he was grateful for everything that football and the Bears had provided him, seeing them lose made him extremely sad.

Run the ball, stop the run, pressure the quarterback. Having the neanderthal gene doesn't hurt either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
No Clever Moniker wrote:
Run the ball, stop the run, pressure the quarterback. Having the neanderthal gene doesn't hurt either.

I love the simplicity here. Nothing about faking out a double-trip switch buzz with a high pivot in space.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:01 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Chus wrote:
bigfan wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Didn't Coast have a segment on North's show at some point before North decided he and his brother in law were much better at picking games?

Yes