It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Celebrity Roasts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:27 pm 

Not sure if a thread was made already, didn't feel like looking. What in the hell is the Score thinking. They're doing a Pat Mannelly Roast, really? This guy did maybe 4 months of radio, and walked out on you basically. He wasn't even good at it. The Score is desperate for money, and wants listeners to pay for random bullshit.

Post subject: Re: Celebrity Roasts
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:09 am 

This is going to be one of those events where attendance is 75% sponsors and station employees

What do you really say to roast Pat Mannelly?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
They have really been pushing this one.

Interview with Spice Adams about his appearance!

And my fave...."Join Score personalities like Dan Bernstein and Nick Shepkowski....."

And I am a Shep fan, but come on! lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
bigfan wrote:

And my fave...."Join Score personalities like Dan Bernstein and Nick Shepkowski....."

It's like a step away from listing the sales staff and the broad that answers the phone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:

I agree. I cracked up when they said Nick Shepkowski. It's fine that he is one of the roasters. You just don't promote him on the commercial. It makes this thing sound small time and bad.

Plus the entire thing was "Roasters include Matt Spiegel, Dan Bernstein, Nick Shepkowski and Anthony Adams.

:lol:

You shouldn't announce Shep. But if you do, he's last. Adams gets billing over him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

Plus if they had to go with Shep you know a lot of people turned down the invitation. A lot of Bears told Mitch "No".

Mitch Rosen after 10 Bears, 15 Score guys and 20 other prominent Chicago media members turned down the invitation to roast Mannelly

Mitch: Hey, Shep-a-roo, would you like to be one of the roasters of Mannelly?

Shep: Would I? And how!!!! Golly gee, Mitch. Thanks for thinking of me. I'm honored.

Mitch: No problem, Shep. As soon and we decided to do this thing, the first thing that came to mind was Nick Shepkowski has to be one of the roasters.

Shep: Does this mean I don't have to pay for the event?

Mitch: No, buddy. $125. We're gonna need that by tomorrow.

Shep: :( By the way, Mitch. Have you caught any of my weekend shows? What do you think of me?

Mitch: What? Baldy put you on the air? I mean, uhhh, just kiddding, yeah I've caught some of it, you're great, buddy. Keep it up.

Shep: Thanks, I was wondering if I could sub on a day part show one day...

Mitch: (Mitch was already down the hall ducking into his office before Shep could finish)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
The Snapper barely qualifies as a celebrity. Who the hell pays $125 for this? Anyone here willing to admit that you are going?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

It's actually $110. I'd say that's pretty reasonable for a nice dinner and an open bar. I just think this one sounds boring compared to the others they've had. Ozzie and his drunk, dumb ass kids was probably a fun one.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/roast-with-670-the-score/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Nobody @ the score is a celeb ...they should really just stop this roast stuff. Mannelly worked there for like a month n he sucked.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Beardown wrote:
It's actually $110. I'd say that's pretty reasonable for a nice dinner and an open bar. I just think this one sounds boring compared to the others they've had. Ozzie and his drunk, dumb ass kids was probably a fun one.

Wanna go with me?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
spmack wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Wanna go with me?

If he says yes, please film the evening's events and upload it here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Stations have to push these non-traditional revenue streams. I once worked a wine festival in Libertyville for WKRS back when they carried the D-Team of syndicated conservative talk show hosts -- Laura Ingraham, Jim Bohannon, Fred Thompson -- and a local woman in morning drive so desperate for calls that her sloooow hook made the Grobber look like Bernstein. Not exactly a wine-and-cheese listenership, but they had to push something, so they pushed it. Once I was done helping set up, I remember spending most of the day on a park bench reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius next to a peacock enclosure. There was also an appearance by the remnants of Chicago-based band the Buckinghams. It was a pretty depressing tableau, all things considered, and yet I feel this defunct suburban low-power-AM station's shindig still wasn't as depressing as The Roast & Toast Of Patrick Mannelly Featuring Nick Shepkowski is going to be.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
What other stations have stupid roasts like this?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:14 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
What other stations have stupid roasts like this?

I was at WBEZ's roast of Ira Glass. Let's just say I had to sign a waiver on the way out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:25 pm 

I would like to see this effort be put into a Score golf outing or something.

Its a tradition the Score has really dropped the ball on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

spmack wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Wanna go with me?

I thought you'd never ask.

No thanks, though. I've said it before. I fear that somebody at the SCORE will assassinate me if they have word of a public appearance. If not Score personal, somebody here.

Wait a second, this is Spmack's plan!!!!! He'd probably even ask me permission to go to the bathroom to get the gun. Son of a bitch!!!! Can't fool me!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Stations have to push these non-traditional revenue streams. I once worked a wine festival in Libertyville for WKRS back when they carried the D-Team of syndicated conservative talk show hosts -- Laura Ingraham, Jim Bohannon, Fred Thompson -- and a local woman in morning drive so desperate for calls that her sloooow hook made the Grobber look like Bernstein. Not exactly a wine-and-cheese listenership, but they had to push something, so they pushed it. Once I was done helping set up, I remember spending most of the day on a park bench reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius next to a peacock enclosure. There was also an appearance by the remnants of Chicago-based band the Buckinghams. It was a pretty depressing tableau, all things considered, and yet I feel this defunct suburban low-power-AM station's shindig still wasn't as depressing as The Roast & Toast Of Patrick Mannelly Featuring Nick Shepkowski is going to be.

Really? You think this is done for SCORE revenue. I know they pocket the money, but what could it be after paying the hall and charity?

Seriously. It's $110 per person. What does the Score get after the Hall and charity is paid? $20 or $30 per person. What could that be as a total? 2 or 3k tops. You might be right, but I just thought they did it cuz it's something to do. And why doesn't Mitch and Zim just give it all to charity after paying the Hall? That's pretty low class that they take such a small amount instead of giving it all to the charity.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:44 pm 

Yes, stations are encouraged to do this stuff. A lot of suburban stations have bridal expos. You wouldn't think they make money, and maybe they don't, but on they go.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

Doesn't THE SCORE bill like 30 million per year? This is really low rent to get in this business, limit the charity donation to make 2 or 3k.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
WSCR makes money off the roast in several different ways. They sell sponsorships at varying price levels which includes commercials and promos. The sponsorships usually start at $1,500 to over $10,000.00 depending on the level.

Real Time either donates the hall for the free advertisements or charges a minimal amount to WSCR for free advertising. Therefore if the station is charged $40 per person they are making $70.00 per ticket at a minimum or $110 if they are not charges for the hall.

A portion of the proceeds go to charity.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

spadaesq1 wrote:
WSCR makes money off the roast in several different ways. They sell sponsorships at varying price levels which includes commercials and promos. The sponsorships usually start at $1,500 to over $10,000.00 depending on the level.

Real Time either donates the hall for the free advertisements or charges a minimal amount to WSCR for free advertising. Therefore if the station is charged $40 per person they are making $70.00 per ticket at a minimum or $110 if they are not charges for the hall.

A portion of the proceeds go to charity.

Oh yeah. That makes sense. I should have figured it was one of these deals. So their take might be 15 or 20k.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
spmack wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Wanna go with me?

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
SomeGuy wrote:
spmack wrote:
Wanna go with me?

Yes.

Just a head's up, he's not gonna fuck you.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:44 pm 

Its still a weird event...even the BB roast, which was a good time...I was buzzed , at the very least, so to go sit down and have a meal like I was at a wedding, was just strange...and I know some people brought dates, but I could never imagine bringing a female to listen to Terry and Dans cousins....feels like this should be more of a buffett event.