WBEZ got rid of local programming in afternoons

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:30 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Hmm, haven't had a market-wide bloodbath in a while:

Drive fired Bobby Skafish
Kiss FM fired "Jordan" whoever that is
WBEZ got rid of local programming in afternoons

That's about what 4 firings for Skafish last dozen years or so? Running out of places to land here.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:08 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
The score could hire skafish to talk sports

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
badrogue17 wrote:
That's about what 4 firings for Skafish last dozen years or so? Running out of places to land here.

Only two firings, but I agree that this looks like the end of the line for Robert S.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I wish The Score would have a bloodbath.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Scorehead on Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Scorehead wrote:
I wish The Scorere would have a bloodbath.

Still think a 3rd station here works.

I think Mully and Hanley do a solid job, but by no means invinceable...get the morning crowd and take it from there....

but to do the same things they do...Kap and Haugh...why would you think you are going to get the customers?

The whole Draft kings, Fan duel, etc market is blazing hot...why you wouldnt make a massive effort to incorporate that is foolish...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
bigfan wrote:

The whole Draft kings, Fan duel, etc market is blazing hot...why you wouldnt make a massive effort to incorporate that is foolish...

There's an ad for them on every 670 podcast.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
bigfan wrote:

Especially considering how much The Score’s regular programming is preempted by baseball broadcasts, including during middays and afternoons.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
I wish The Scorere would have a bloodbath.

I think Mully and Hanley do a solid job, but by no means invinceable...get the morning crowd and take it from there....

but to do the same things they do...Kap and Haugh...why would you think you are going to get the customers?

I still don't get why WLS or WGN just doesn't say "Fuck it, we'll just do all sports". It's cheaper and easier programming than actually coming up with interesting general talk topics. Which nobody they currently have knows how to do. With sports you always have the damn game to talk about.

You put "Sports talk" on one of those frequencies it would work.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Only two firings, but I agree that this looks like the end of the line for Robert S.

He is a good guy. Sadly, he doesn't appear to have anywhere else to land.

And the sports market could use a third station at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Be a great fit for the Mac Morning Zoo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Was the local WBEZ programming a good listen?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:33 pm 

I enjoyed it from time to time. The Curious City vignettes are good. Still, I feel WBEZ has a responsibility as a major-market public radio station to carry live/local programming beyond ME/ATC newsbreaks, especially when you can listen to national stuff on demand. It's strange that this is coming on the heels of what I'm sure are the best ratings the station has ever gotten: a 2.5, I believe, which would have been absolutely unthinkable as recently as ten years ago -- hell, four years ago. One of the things Wisconsin Public Radio does really well is that it splits up into two services, one for the NPR News flagships (shared with classical music) and one for live/local news and politics, so all the necessary bases are covered. Pretty much the entire state has both services available, except for Milwaukee, where UWM horns in on the public radio scene and mucks everything up. Unfortunately, Chicago Public Radio whiffed on a second service about as hard as anyone can whiff with the whole Vocalo thing.

I've always been kinda down on 'BEZ, especially after learning that they discontinued jazz programming at night so they could pick up the BBC World Service and that fart-sniffing interview show from the CBC with the guy who abused women. Come on. Pace WDCB, jazz in Chicago should not have to reside in Glen Ellyn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:38 pm 

Reared on the Score wrote:
bigfan wrote:

There's an ad for them on every 670 podcast.

I understand that....but ZERO involvement , like almost everything else they do...except the Pat Mannelly roast...or the Dan Bernstein "Its not my poker tourney"....

They have taken the angle of being so big they dont need to do anything and if you want to see us....pay us to appear....

Still think Wirt fucked up a good thing....big enough pie to get a slice....for all his Radio IQ, he didnt even get a crumb....should tell you he did something wrong....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:45 pm 

good dolphin had a good post about Score remotes a while ago. He said something along the lines of how back then you couldn't walk out the door at a remote without Score promotional crap, and now they guard measly little beer koozies like the crown jewels. The Game could have made some inroads by being a hungry populist alternative (speaking of alternative, Randy Michaels, for all his idiocy everywhere else in Chicago, knew well enough to market the 87.7 bug as a feature), but chose not to distinguish themselves in any way. Now 87.7 is crushing The Game's ratings with Linda Ronstadt songs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:53 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin had a good post about Score remotes a while ago. He said something along the lines of how back then you couldn't walk out the door at a remote without Score promotional crap, and now they guard measly little beer koozies like the crown jewels. The Game could have made some inroads by being a hungry populist alternative (speaking of alternative, Randy Michaels, for all his idiocy everywhere else in Chicago, knew well enough to market the 87.7 bug as a feature), but chose not to distinguish themselves in any way. Now 87.7 is crushing The Game's ratings with Linda Ronstadt songs.

The Game did a poor mans imitation of the Score and thus got nothing.

Larry Wert is the Jerry Krause of Media....except Larry got Brandmeier, Mathews and Steve & Gary.....just remember Steve and Gary brought in Mathews....and Dahl and Meier where in place....so Wert signed Johnny B from Phoenix, which, while a good move, was what brandmeier wanted...he wanted to be close to his family...big money didnt hurt either....ever since then , his list of failed media ventures is very long....starting with AOL Sports....ugh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:07 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

True. I went to many remotes 1992-1999 and I have the swag in my basement to show for it. The giveaways were great and they were plentiful.
I really liked The Game and wish they would have made a better effort.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
bigfan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

The Game did a poor mans imitation of the Score and thus got nothing.

Larry Wert is the Jerry Krause of Media....except Larry got Brandmeier, Mathews and Steve & Gary.....just remember Steve and Gary brought in Mathews....and Dahl and Meier where in place....so Wert signed Johnny B from Phoenix, which, while a good move, was what brandmeier wanted...he wanted to be close to his family...big money didnt hurt either....ever since then , his list of failed media ventures is very long....starting with AOL Sports....ugh

DeCastro programmed the Game. Not Wert.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Scorehead wrote:

100% agree. Many of us were so ready and appreciated that third option to switch to.

I really liked how the hosts treated and valued the callers. They seemed genuine and didn't take anything or anyone for granted... too bad the management did.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:06 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Curious Hair wrote:

I've always been kinda down on 'BEZ.

Yeah a lot of us are after the new board thingy.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
King doesnt like the jump ball.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:10 pm 

Wrong thread. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:31 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Godfella wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

100% agree. Many of us were so ready and appreciated that third option to switch to.

I really liked how the hosts treated and valued the callers. They seemed genuine and didn't take anything or anyone for granted... too bad the management did.

Yep,I also was a fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

Skafish on the Score. Let's line up those Sox calls Daddy-O.

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:35 pm 

Bobby Skafish., Rob S., Robert Skafish.

I've enjoyed him, hope he sticks around

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Sports talk programming is talent-heavy. Two (3?) hosts per show, update guy, and 2 guys behind the glass. Where do you find new guys with credibility? They've been going through the newspaper ranks for a number of years. Picking up other stations' producers & secondary on-air talent has been problematic.

Heh. Do I think a "Webio" could survive in today's world? "Chet and the Champ" could've survived nowhere (and otherwise, the answer is "no".)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:31 pm 

I think they try too hard to get local guys. In the past people like Memolo or Lance McAllister or whoever can come in a do a good job learning the landscape. The problem today as I see it is they try to stay too cheap and too local. You can see this a little in how they force the producers as a sport's expert these days.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Either that or they don't want to pay what it takes to get "real" experts. And since the producers are accepted in that role, why in the hell shouldn't they?

I always liked Jim Memolo. His 'Chicago winter forecast' was a classic that almost forced me off the road ("Cold until April; deal with it!")

I miss the station's early days. So much looser back then...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Beebo wrote:
I always liked Jim Memolo. His 'Chicago winter forecast' was a classic that almost forced me off the road ("Cold until April; deal with it!")
I think that Memolo does a really good job on MLB Network Radio, even though they forced him off of mornings so they could stick dumbass Steve Phillips there. Memolo could contain Hollandsworth, and I found myself listening to XM 89 far more than AM 670 or 87.7 on my hour-long morning commute.

One thing I've not understood about 670 recently is why they don't try to do more national single-sport shows in that godawful 10-midnight Mon-Thu slot. It's not like Les needs a lead-in... and if it gets preempted because a White Sox game goes long, so what? Do a DraftKings/gambling show one night, an MMA show another, I don't care, just something other than Joe O giving us hot takes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:22 am 

The Score needs fewer broadcasting majors and more regular Joes who have a personality and a sense lf humor.