It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
What a great story this is, and what awesome young man:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/ho ... 35301.html

He shot an 88 yesterday. Nice story. A boy my step daughter went to prom with is tied for first going into the final round today.

Nice, I see you are hand picking her dates out nicely. 8)

:lol: Yeah right, like she would listen to anything I said!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Finally jumped back in after not even swinging a club the last two years. Friday went cold to a podunk 9-holer and proceeded to shank just about every shot (that's what I get for not even hitting the range :roll: ), let alone two groups ahead of me there was a SIXsome consisting of white-trash Florida-Georgia Line-looking 20-something bros playing hip-hop on a boombox gumming everything up...first time I was ever at that course, and apparently the girl running the pro shop/grill was the only person working there, as any other course with any decency would ran those guys off, pronto. I made it to the 6th hole before giving it up for the day, and even though the course is OK for the area and cheap, I aintin' lookin' to goin' there anytime soon.

On Saturday, ran some errands in Morris, and said WTF - let's hit the range at Nettle Creek. Within the first three swings I figured that I was standing too close to the ball, and after making the adjustment, got my mojo back. I was so chuffed that I went ahead and played nine before the Hawks game. Landed seven of nine tee shots in the fairway (or green on the par 3s), which made me feel pretty good; too bad my short game and putting was for shit :P . Shot a 55 (yeesh!), but still was happy that I was finally getting the ball off the ground.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:46 am 

Minooka Meatball wrote:
Finally jumped back in after not even swinging a club the last two years. Friday went cold to a podunk 9-holer and proceeded to shank just about every shot (that's what I get for not even hitting the range :roll: ), let alone two groups ahead of me there was a SIXsome consisting of white-trash Florida-Georgia Line-looking 20-something bros playing hip-hop on a boombox gumming everything up...first time I was ever at that course, and apparently the girl running the pro shop/grill was the only person working there, as any other course with any decency would ran those guys off, pronto. I made it to the 6th hole before giving it up for the day, and even though the course is OK for the area and cheap, I aintin' lookin' to goin' there anytime soon.

On Saturday, ran some errands in Morris, and said WTF - let's hit the range at Nettle Creek. Within the first three swings I figured that I was standing too close to the ball, and after making the adjustment, got my mojo back. I was so chuffed that I went ahead and played nine before the Hawks game. Landed seven of nine tee shots in the fairway (or green on the par 3s), which made me feel pretty good; too bad my short game and putting was for shit :P . Shot a 55 (yeesh!), but still was happy that I was finally getting the ball off the ground.

:thumleft:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Game starting to come back around. 89 at Highlands of Elgin over the weekend and then 86 yesterday at Village Links of Glen Ellyn.

Bought the 915D2, 10.5 degrees..got it set to 9.75 and full draw...still fighting the slice, but its manageable now. Losing distance but finding the fairway more often than not.

Big weekend, got my first event in the Golfweek Am tour. Did it last year with mixed results, finished 6th in the B group in one event, and then near the bottom in 2 others. Dropped down to C for this year even though my handicap should put me in B. I contend that my handicap is good because I play the right tees for me. B tees are between 6500-6700, C division moves up to next tee box. This weekend we are at Stonewall Orchard. 31 players in my division. Hoping for a top 5 finish, but more than that just hoping to play well regardless of finish.

Friday I'll post the link to the live scoring so you guys can follow me from your computers/phones as it happens! I tee off at 12:30.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:45 am 

Got a practice round at the State Am qualifying course scheduled for Saturday morning. Also have a tee time early Sunday morning
which hopefully works out before it rains. Been difficult breaking 80 the last 3 times out mostly due to blow up holes which is my
Achilles heel at times. Hoping the practice round goes well. The course appears to be pretty short at 6300 yards but has hosted
a number of pretty big State events and qualifying so I am expecting a very tight layout and probably pretty tough greens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:36 am 

I didn't get my Masters tickets, have applied for practice round tickets.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:31 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
I didn't get my Masters tickets, have applied for practice round tickets.

Just got my rejection e-mail as well. Practice round is probably even better for various reasons.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
These Assholes wrote:
We have completed the random selection process for 2016 Masters Tournament tickets and regret to inform you that your application was not selected for tickets.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:15 am 

http://www.amateurgolftour.net/chicago_tour_pages/readContent.asp?id=366

Link to live scoring for my tournament at Stonewall Orchard today. I'm in the C division, dropped down from the B to take advantage of the much shorter course length. Hopefully it pays off. Tee off at 12:20.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:49 am 

shakes wrote:

Link to live scoring for my tournament at Stonewall Orchard today. I'm in the C division, dropped down from the B to take advantage of the much shorter course length. Hopefully it pays off. Tee off at 12:20.

Nice shooting shakes. I still have not played that course.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:56 am 

Got out twice this weekend with frustration a plenty ruling the day. Saturday I played a practice round at a course I have a tournament at in 2 weeks.
One of the tighter courses I have played in a long time. If you were 10 feet off the fairway you pretty much had no shot at the green. The course was
built in 1929 and the greens were about the size of a 2 car garage in some cases. Mature trees everywhere. There were two par 3's that were so tight
that I was nervous about hitting trees off the tee. I ended up with an 82 with a triple and double bogey. Should be a meat grinder of a tournament.
I am guessing it will take 75 or better to qualify for state amateur and not sure how many they take.

Played yesterday at my home course. Standing water everywhere. It rained the first 8 holes and then it was fine. I took a 10 on the second hole after
hitting in the water off the tee and then hitting two more balls out of near casual water into the hazard. Shot 46 on the front and decided to shake it off
and was even par on the back until taking a triple on #17. Carded an 85 with that quintuple bogey and the triple. These blow up holes are so maddening.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:44 am 

T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

Nice shooting shakes. I still have not played that course.

Thanks! I ended up making a mental mistake that cost me the tournament. On #4 I missed the green with my approach and then chipped it to 1 foot. Rather than marking the ball, I went up there and tried to tap it in despite not being able to take a normal stance due to other peoples lines and of course I missed it. Rest of the day I was marking anything outside of 3 inches.

Too bad cause I finished with an 83 and that 82 would've put me in a playoff which would've been really cool to do.

Had a rough front nine battling nerves. 3 double bogeys and 2 birdies. Settled down on the back, had another birdie and played the final 4 holes at -1 to put a ton of pressure on the leader who had to get up and down from off the green on 18 to secure his victory.

All in all, had a lot of fun and looking forward to doing it again and hopefully winning this time.

Moving down to C division and playing a 6000 yard course makes a world of difference for me. Top score in B was 79 from 6400 yard tees. I would have to play the round of my life to have a shot at that. At least in C I can make a few mistakes and still have a shot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:48 am 

Tried playing Coyote Run yesterday with my wife. Got there and was informed that it was walking only. So we figured we would give it a shot. Grabbed a couple push carts and found out they are the only course in the USA that still uses first generation original push carts. Only 2 wheels, no tread, no scorecard tray or any sort of pockets/places to put anything. Basically just two wheels and a couple pipes. A couple holes of slogging those around through teh waterlogged course and my wife started complaining. By hole 5 she was in full on moping mode. By #7 she was threatening to walk off the course. Meanwhile by #7 I was even par and playing great. Bogeyed 8 and 9 to finish 38 and well on my way to a possible sub 80 round, but we'll never know cause we called it a day at that point. :x

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:20 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
What did you think of that course, shakes? I played there myself on Saturday for the first time in about 2 or 3 years. I thought it was fairly scorable even thought there was enough trouble and water to be found, somewhat short, but pretty well maintained.

Front 9, shot 43 with a damn snowman on the 9th hole. Back 9 started off ok. 3 pars and 2 bogeys then finished 8-6-8-5. Yuck!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:49 pm 

Cicero Dave wrote:
What did you think of that course, shakes? I played there myself on Saturday for the first time in about 2 or 3 years. I thought it was fairly scorable even thought there was enough trouble and water to be found, somewhat short, but pretty well maintained.

Front 9, shot 43 with a damn snowman on the 9th hole. Back 9 started off ok. 3 pars and 2 bogeys then finished 8-6-8-5. Yuck!

I only saw the front, but I liked it. Course was in very nice shape and like you said, somewhat short. Room off the tee, definitely scoreable. A nice little neighborhood course. Wouldn't go out of the way to play it, but if i was in the area I would add it to my rotation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:03 am 

Game is finally starting to come around. 87 on Friday afternoon (Inwood) with 10 GIR and 9 pars. 81 on Saturday morning (Aspen Ridge in Bourbonais. Fairly benign course, but for $24 I figured I would give it a try) with 8 GIR and 8 Pars. The 87 on Friday really wasn't indicative of how well I was hitting the ball, but a couple of 7s and a 5 on a par 3 will do that to the scorecard. Only one 3 putt on the weekend, 1 duffed fairway shot, 2 duffed chips, and only two drives that really sliced. Overall its the best I've played in back to back round since probably the summer of 2013.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:22 am 

Another 84 on Saturday. I hit the ball well off the tee but was missing greens with my short irons. My putting was off the charts bad. I
managed to have 5 birdie putts within 12 ft and never hit the cup once. I also missed 3 additional putts within 5 ft. I have no idea what
I was doing wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:25 am 

Dustin "T Bone" Johnson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:09 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Cicero Dave wrote:
Dustin "T Bone" Johnson

HI Frank.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:52 am 

Cicero Dave wrote:
Dustin "T Bone" Johnson

I definitely felt his pain yesterday. I was telling my fiancée that he was doing exactly what I was on that back nine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:01 am 

Bad part is he got the read from Rose on both putts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:09 am 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Bad part is he got the read from Rose on both putts.

Jason Day you mean? You work for Fox Gloop? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:16 am 

Yes Jason Day from South Carolina.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:25 am 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Yes Jason Day from South Carolina.

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Played Glendale Lakes on Saturday.

Weird course, I don't think I hit a driver on a par 5. Lots of holes where the ideal landing zone is 185-220. Hit the most 5 irons over 18 than I have my entire life. Water in play on essentially every hole. Front 9 trainwreck of 51 made up for by back 9 42.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:37 am 

Great weekend of golf up north. Manged to get in a few rounds, 2 at my favorite course in the world, Lawsonia Links. Didn't play great the first day, but managed to scuffle my way to an 85. Returned the next day and played much better and shot a 81 with a triple and a double. The triple came on the easiest hole on the course. Chipped in blind for birdie on #6, ball was short of the green about 15 yards in front which is about 20 feet under the hole elevation wise, never saw it go in, could only see the top of the flag. Those two holes though....5 over on 2 holes and 4 over on the other 16.

Next day out took the wife to Tuscumbia, oldest course in Wisconsin. Very narrow old school layout, managed an 82.

Game is coming around nicely in the sense that I've eliminated a lot of the big numbers and have lowered my scoring range considerably. I think I have one round in the 90s this year. Last year I had several rounds in the 90s and even some in the 100s.

Counting Tuesday's 85 at Makray Memorial where I had 13 bogeys and 5 pars I've had 6 doubles/triples in the past 72 holes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Has anyone played Idlewild up in Sturgeon Bay, WI?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:03 am 

39 on the front, 53 on the back yesterday morning. Whatever I had going for me during my last 4 rounds completely left me on holes 11-16. What a stupid, humbling game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:41 am 

I got a 6am tee time for Shepherds Crook in Zion. Looks like some potential rain. I'll play if it isn't pouring out. I really need to put some work in
before my tournament next Tuesday. At this rate I am going to get my ass handed to me. Again :eye:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:12 pm 

Heading out to South Bend for the weekend, got a reunion for my Jewlympics gold medal winning team. Lots of hockey and lots of golf. One of the guys is a member at South Bend CC so we'll play there a couple times. Worried about how bad I'm gonna play since 2 of the rounds will be preceeded by playing hockey. Hard enough for my back to get out of bed and swing a club, let alone doing it after playing hockey. But, it will be a blast either way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 26  Next