It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:44 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
W_Z wrote:
get in as much as you can before the humidity sets in. it's unbearable once it gets above 80 with humidity.

Yeah, good warning, Skilling. Now I'm freezing my balls off out there.

i hate running in cold weather but it has always produced my best runs. my best marathon time was when the high was 38 degrees. the coldest goddamn early october i can remember.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:51 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
My fiancée decided to join me when I told her I was going to do the 3.1 mile loop I have marked off. She only wanted to do 2.5 so we
did that. She is not much of a runner, in fact usually she has to stop about ever half mile which is kind of annoying but I try to be supportive.
She did really well, in fact we only stopped a couple of times and managed to finish 2.5 miles in 25 minutes and was really proud of her. That
isn't really that far off of the pace I usually jog at. Anyway, about 1/3 mile from home I feel what I think is a cramp in my left calf. I stop to
give it a quick rub down and knowing she was making good time I just dead legged it home with a limp. Felt like a softball stuffed under my
skin for a few hours. Well I must have pulled or strained something as it hurt through the weekend and I can still feel a little bit of it but
thankfully it wasn't anything worse. I have had a gradual but constant tightening of my Achilles over the last 6 months. Anyone else get
this? It is kind of frightening as I know if one of those goes I am going to be on the sidelines for quite a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:32 am 

Come on T Bone you can be open and honest with us around here. It is irritating when a wife/gf does crap like that.

Sorry to hear about the pain and possible achilles issue...are you stretching enough before you do stuff?

This getting old stuff is for the birds

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
RFDC wrote:
Come on T Bone you can be open and honest with us around here. It is irritating when a wife/gf does crap like that.

Sorry to hear about the pain and possible achilles issue...are you stretching enough before you do stuff?

I honestly was proud of how she ran that day. I really need to do a better job stretching. I was at a wedding over the weekend
and was talking to another guy who is like 41 and he was complaining about foot issues that I thought might be Plantar faciitis.
It was sad that we were acting like a couple of old men complaining about our bodies breaking down. The Achilles thing is tough.
When I roll out of bed and put my feet on the ground I say a small prayer asking that they don't snap and roll up my calf. No joke.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Terrapin 5K on Thursday July 2
Firecracker Run (5K)at Great Lakes Naval Base July 3
Antioch Run For Freedom (5K) Antioch July 4

Good week!

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:22 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
T-Bone wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I honestly was proud of how she ran that day. I really need to do a better job stretching. I was at a wedding over the weekend
and was talking to another guy who is like 41 and he was complaining about foot issues that I thought might be Plantar faciitis.
It was sad that we were acting like a couple of old men complaining about our bodies breaking down. The Achilles thing is tough.
When I roll out of bed and put my feet on the ground I say a small prayer asking that they don't snap and roll up my calf. No joke.

Cramps often = dehydration. Drink more water.

I am no Dr. Bernstein but if it is heel/achilles I don't think it is Plantar. I think Plantar is more toward the front of the foot. Based on experience it could be several things:

a) Wrong shoe? Old shoes? Get fitted at a running store, not by kids at foot locker.
b) Need to stretch the heel AFTER runs. Then ice it (frozen water bottle works well)
c) Heel spurs? Find a good podiatrist. If you keep running you will eventually need one. I had 'em earlier in my running career. My podiatrist hooked me up with custom orthotics. Not a cheap date but I have had 0 issues since.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:28 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
t-bone plantar is more the middle/front. last year i had it flare up. best way to describe i guess was i felt like my arch was stretching and going to snap. there just was this annoying tightness/pain.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:32 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
felt really good last night and fired off 7 miles in 1:01. it's such a good feeling to be in one of the moods where you aren't sluggish and dragging ass. easily fastest time i've had all year.

i've been averaging 1:06 - 1:08 so it's a sign i've been coasting. and taking it easy. hustle up fatty.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:42 am 

I ran two days in a row for the first time in a very long time. My body is tired today

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:58 pm 

I went out today around lunch. Was overcast all day and in the 70s. I didnt think that was going to change so I had a dark color shirt on. Well about the mile mark the sun comes out from behind the clouds and I swear it went up about 10 degrees and I thought I was going to die. Thankfully the sun went back behind the clouds rather quickly. Was able to go 1.5 miles straight this time out.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
8 slow but steady miles tonight, Rock and Roll Half Marathon is in two and a half weeks.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Harvard Dan wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:
I'm running this year and I am running #2 in the team. I have the slowest time per mile and will run 4.5/4.5/6.21 for my legs. At the moment my run start times are 5:53 AM Friday 6/12, 5:04 PM same day, and 2:12AM on Saturday 6/13. Looking forward to it as my legs include leaving Madison, running through campus of Caroll College, and then going from Racine into Kenosha (that'll be fun at 2 AM on a Friday/Saturday).

good luck on this Dan. I am a hair away from committing to the 2016 race and would love to hear some feedback from you after you are done.

Sorry I didn't get back to you. Overall an amazing experience...maybe shouldn't have eaten at a Denny's inside a Love's Truckstop before our last legs (our van had 1-6). My 6.3 leg at 2AM Saturday into Kenosha got a little hairy as their was really no other teams around me except for one about a mile behind that was spooky as the headlamp was bounding. Four days after the race I was on an Amtrak Train out to California and ended up in Oakland the day before the Warrior's parade, and then walked the Hills of San Francisco so a little dead leg from all that combined running. I've found Monster Rehab...what a beverage!! Anyways it's an experience I would recommend and would do again. Commit to it....The Sierra Nevada at Montrose Beach tasted awesome.

glad to hear you had a good time with it, i am looking forward to the 2016 race. Most of the reviews i see are positive, you just need to be aware of what you are getting in to and be prepared to deal with the inconveniences. I'm pretty excited to try it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
wdelaney72 wrote:
Terrapin 5K on Thursday July 2
Firecracker Run (5K)at Great Lakes Naval Base July 3
Antioch Run For Freedom (5K) Antioch July 4

Good week!

good luck on your runs, hope you do well. that would be something to run 3 races in 3 days, not much room for recovery time. I am looking forward to my race Saturday.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:43 pm 

Almost had a major problem today. About half way through my program I started feeling rumblings in my stomach and the sudden urge to take a dump. I hoped it would go away, but the longer I went the worse it got. Thankfully I was somewhat close to a bathroom. I barely made it there in time and thank goodness no one was in the bathroom. :lol: And the poor person that had to go in that bathroom following me :shock: :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
RFDC wrote:
Almost had a major problem today. About half way through my program I started feeling rumblings in my stomach and the sudden urge to take a dump. I hoped it would go away, but the longer I went the worse it got. Thankfully I was somewhat close to a bathroom. I barely made it there in time and thank goodness no one was in the bathroom. :lol: And the poor person that had to go in that bathroom following me :shock: :lol:

It's a rite of passage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:21 pm 

RFDC wrote:

this happened to me while training one year. had to go into the "bushes", because i had 7 miles to go and nowhere to stop. it's a hell of a feeling.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Running is nature's laxative.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
For those that are having problems getting loose, I highly recommend the foam rollers. I have the ones from Dicks with the spikey edges. Prior to using those, I would stretch for long periods of time with no luck getting loose. Since I went the foam, it has been easier to run. I rarely feel tightness.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:58 pm 

Doesn't sound like RFDC is having any trouble getting anything loose.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Curious Hair wrote:

You keep up with witty jokes like that, and you may be the man again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
W_Z wrote:
RFDC wrote:

this happened to me while training one year. had to go into the "bushes", because i had 7 miles to go and nowhere to stop. it's a hell of a feeling.

Need to assess what you ate for dinner last night. For example Bruschetta and pastas with either cream or an oily sauce are on my banned list anytime I have to run long the next day.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:02 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

:lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:03 pm 

god you guys must be fat disgusting slobs. you shouldnt be eating things that make your shit smell like death. or make it want to come out when youre running. stop eating so much and stop eating garbage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:30 pm 

Well, yes, I am a fat disgusting slob, but I don't think my shit smells like death.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:45 pm 

We maybe fat slobs, but we are fat slobs with jobs. :wink:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:05 am 

i had eaten taco bell the night before with a friend and knew what i was in for the next day. i didn't repeat that mistake. but it was one of those "oh i guess that really does happen" moments.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:10 am 

I got out of classes early one day and grabbed a Vittorio's (RIP) beef. I decided to go for a run later that day. I used to run in the forest preserve. Well, the urge happened. I was running good distances back in those days so there was no way I was making it back. It was late fall and daytime, so no one was around. I ran into the forest and propped myself up against a fallen tree. Midway through I heard a noise behind me. There was a huge moose or deerlike animal on the other side of the tree. I quickly pulled up trau and high tailed it out of there

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:12 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I got out of classes early one day and grabbed a Vittorio's (RIP) beef. I decided to go for a run later that day. I used to run in the forest preserve. Well, the urge happened. I was running good distances back in those days so there was no way I was making it back. It was late fall and daytime, so no one was around. I ran into the forest and propped myself up against a fallen tree. Midway through I heard a noise behind me. There was a huge moose or deerlike animal on the other side of the tree. I quickly pulled up trau and high tailed it out of there

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:56 pm 

Question for you more experienced runners. When does the runners high kick in? Does it changed based on distance, speed, age?

I am up to 2 miles at a time now. And it seemed to me a few years back when I was running I would reach that high between mile 1 and 2 and feel really good and seems like I could go forever. Haven't hit that this time around. By the time I get to 2 miles I worn slick and ready to be done.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:41 am 

I have never experienced runner's high. Every mile that I have ever run has been drudgery with Sir accompanying me in my headphones.

Seriously though, some days are easier than others but I've never felt elation over the work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next