It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Both MVP and SCR ratings are in the shitter. Budget cuts. Lack of talent development. Hard core fans have dropped out. The whole thing sucks. Could we see one of the stations go bye-bye?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I was going to create a thread about it. I fell in love with sports talk radio as a freshman in college, and I would listen all day....probably why my grades were lackluster as I should have been studying but I was listening to Monsters and HFC until the signal faded.....It was best when I found a job in 2003 that allowed me a radio at my desk, so The Score and ESPN 1000 were on all day everyday.

I've been in my current position downtown for about a year, and I have the ability to listen, but I just don't feel a need. It's not that big of a deal anymore. I've wondered if I've just evolved, got bored, or need the football season back. I'm a huge twitter fan, so maybe I don't need to hear people talk about sports as much because I can read it in real time. I even got a text from one of the hosts asking if I still listened because I hadn't chimed in much. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Good thing Mac nailed down that morning zoo gig.

When the music stops, mackeyfish has a chair.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:47 am 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Good thing Mac nailed down that morning zoo gig.

When the music stops, mackeyfish has a chair.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:47 am 

Mac has always been very prescient.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
spmack wrote:
I even got a text from one of the hosts asking if I still listened because I hadn't chimed in much. :lol:

Spada was worried that he had lost 50% of his audience?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:57 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I don't spend as much time in my car as I used to. I still listen here and there but it's definitely not an everyday thing. I'm sure when the Bears season starts I'll want to listen.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:58 am 

Nas wrote:
I'm sure when the Bears season starts I'll want to listen.

who cares without Doug?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Hatchetman wrote:
Nas wrote:
I'm sure when the Bears season starts I'll want to listen.

who cares without Doug?

I didn't listen to Doug and OB much since about 2007. I can't get enough of football talk. Not many people are good when it comes to baseball and the Sox vs Cubs thing annoys me now.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:10 pm 

spmack wrote:
I was going to create a thread about it. I fell in love with sports talk radio as a freshman in college, and I would listen all day....probably why my grades were lackluster as I should have been studying but I was listening to Monsters and HFC until the signal faded.....It was best when I found a job in 2003 that allowed me a radio at my desk, so The Score and ESPN 1000 were on all day everyday.

I've been in my current position downtown for about a year, and I have the ability to listen, but I just don't feel a need. It's not that big of a deal anymore. I've wondered if I've just evolved, got bored, or need the football season back. I'm a huge twitter fan, so maybe I don't need to hear people talk about sports as much because I can read it in real time. I even got a text from one of the hosts asking if I still listened because I hadn't chimed in much. :lol:

We have much in common. We could be twins, like Arnold Schwarzenhager and Danny De Vito

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
While the Sports talk was great, it was because of the "PERSONALITIES"....This is LACKING....the fear of being an individual and getting fired is what drives every guy on the air....it is about raising the voice, but not too loud....

North, Mac, Boers and Even Jiggs...had personalities....they tried some stuff...24 second shot clock.....WYC...some work, some didnt....just do something, try something....the effort is lacking.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:37 pm 

obviously we've been over this a million times. it is about personality. the morons in management think they can put anyone on the air and people will listen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
bigfan wrote:
North, Mac, Boers and Even Jiggs...had personalities....they tried some stuff...24 second shot clock.....WYC...some work, some didnt....just do something, try something....the effort is lacking.

Bernstein deconstructed the whole idea of "trying hard" to produce a sports radio show much the way Dahl did for general talk. But again, that comes back to the whole thing about how his style of sports talk was meant to be the change of pace to everyone else's and doesn't work as the standard. Dragging out LeBron James talk over two hours is way more tiresome than any produced "bit."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Seems like personalities have been replaced with referencing twitter feeds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Well, it definitely will be when Cowherd leaves.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Peoria Matt wrote:
Seems like personalities have been replaced with referencing twitter feeds.

....last night on Twitter, I said this....then BobOMeter said this...then I got into a fight with Someguy.....and he said this, then I blocked him...

I would use twitter...and invite them to call in and see if the personality stacks up to the big words.... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:07 am 

Definitely. The suits that run the corporations want to own and control this communication niche from front to back. Gone are the days of little stations on sidestreets sprouting into something appreciable. While there'll likely be another person from something other than communications that may come along, gone are the days of being paid like media royalty. The lanscape for new hosts is to recognize who signs the checks, and for those who have work is to hold on to what you got. With the exception of those who uncontrollably go scorched earth in their own backyard (which can move the meters) sports radio is going to be filled with a homogenized product with little imagination or inspiration.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:51 am 

bigfan wrote:
While the Sports talk was great, it was because of the "PERSONALITIES"....This is LACKING....the fear of being an individual and getting fired is what drives every guy on the air....it is about raising the voice, but not too loud....

It's amazing to me that none of these guys can create bits; the fact that they all reference past show host phrases is telling - the new group doesn't have the personality or ability to be quoted - from Goff continuing to say 'Dan McNeahl" to Murphy lines to Dan Jigget's put him on hold to North "light em' up.

Beyond not having personalities, does anyone want to spend time with them? Want to go to a remote and drink with them? Want to spend time with Larry and talk about comic books? Or Bernstien and have a detailed discussion of fan graphs and Nate silver? Meat Pants? Any of the sound a likes - from Joe O to Esposito to Rongey to -

It's bland, it's dull, and it's untalented.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Mac has spread like a cancer throughout the industry. Everyone saw how lazy he is.

Mac figured, hell, not doing anything but skimming through the Sun Times, gets me the same ratings as actually watching the games.

Then the suits figured out, hey, why pay Mac big money? Same ratings with Slappy and Grimace. Far less cost and same revenue.

Even ESPN has figured it out. Cheap plug and play guys get the same ratings as big money anchors.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:45 am 

didea wrote:
bigfan wrote:

It's amazing to me that none of these guys can create bits; the fact that they all reference past show host phrases is telling - the new group doesn't have the personality or ability to be quoted - from Goff continuing to say 'Dan McNeahl" to Murphy lines to Dan Jigget's put him on hold to North "light em' up.

Beyond not having personalities, does anyone want to spend time with them? Want to go to a remote and drink with them? Want to spend time with Larry and talk about comic books? Or Bernstien and have a detailed discussion of fan graphs and Nate silver? Meat Pants? Any of the sound a likes - from Joe O to Esposito to Rongey to -

I don't think these guys see themselves as radio guys who happen to be doing sports. They are sports guys who happen to be doing radio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
didea wrote:
bigfan wrote:

This is 100% spot on. You took the words right out of my head.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:58 am 

yes, good post, but we've been saying it for years. anyone with half a brain knows what the problem is. but those in charge DONT CARE!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Radio, like the newspaper industry, realizes the only audience they have left listens / reads no matter what.

Reduce costs and try to remain afloat as long as possible is the name of the end-game.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:36 pm 

Hussra wrote:
Radio, like the newspaper industry, realizes the only audience they have left listens / reads no matter what.

Reduce costs and try to remain afloat as long as possible is the name of the end-game.

but sports talk is a micro industry. Sure you can find national sports talk podcasts all over the place. Is there a worthy sports talker not on radio now that Spada is going off the air?