It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mike North
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:
Reared on the Score wrote:
So Jerry prefers that his teams not be talked about outside of games. Poor Bernstein carrying all that GarPax water for nothing.

you think SCR attempting to land the Bulls was the reason for the GarPax love fest? hadn't thought of it until now.

Nah, just making a joke at Bernstein's expense. But I suppose being a white knight for Reinsdorf against pernicious myths is just good business.

Last edited by Reared on the Score on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:48 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Brooks Boyer wrote:
We have a chance to be on a true flagship station. Part of what makes (the sports-talk stations) popular is that they look at us with a critical eye. We don't have a problem with that. Those guys are just doing their jobs. It's just something we won't have to deal with (being on WLS).

And Ricketts has a perfect set up with all the Cubs cheerleaders on the Score.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
That's some real "it's not a bug, it's a feature" spin from Boyer, considering the White Sox spent the last twenty seasons on stations with all-sports formats.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:29 pm 

My hooters waitress told me to have an awesome night. Im so in

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I enjoy listening to North bully Furman around whenever I catch this show since Furman himself was a notorious asshole in the Cincinnati market who similarly burned bridges with every sports station there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:42 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Hatchetman wrote:
hey now, I like your way of thinking. Dahl got a three year deal I think though.

yeah but can't they just shift him to some HD radio sub-station or maybe put him on WLS ONLINE(TM) and have him be the flagship program for ppl who dont mind loading up a web-based-player on either their computers or phones and listening that way? idk if that's what happened to brandmeyer when he transitioned over to the internets (b4 eventually signing a deal with tunein i think.... CH?) but i reckon since dahl has his built-in audience of ppl who were paying to subscribe to his podcast, they could assume they get those ppl + whatever #s they can get from all the web players (and i'm sure there's companies out there that will sell you ~500-5000 "listeners" via botnets and dummy terminals to load up the stream and inflate the #s, kind of like how ppl buy twitter followers nowadays) and then turn around and go "WE GOT ##### PEOPLE LISTENING TO DAHL'S STREAM AND THESE ARE DEDICATED LISTENERS WHO TUNE IN TO LISTEN TO HIM EXCLUSIVELY SO PAY UP!!!!"

or hell IIRC dahl is a seasoned vet who already knows how to get paid to not do radio, so if that keeps replenishing his coffers to go play golf and not drink beer well then what does he care? he's already been off the deep end in podcastville for a long time!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:47 pm 

North is the shit. Everyone hates him cause hes awesome just like me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:52 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
IkeSouth wrote:
North is the shit. Everyone hates him cause hes awesome just like me

i know i'm risking massive spoilers here, but i've already got some solid advance $$$ for penning my life's masterstroke: "ike like me" --- the world is gonna know what it's like to go around the board with everyone thinking you're ikesouth. methinks CSFMB/Ike relations will take a step forward for all of eternity once it's released.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
It has to kill him having no presence in Chicago. His entire existence was built on being able to walk into places in the city and tell them he is Mike North.

I'll need to dig up the thread where Scorehead was bragging about all the "markets" that North is broadcast on.

Scorehead wrote:
Nort has more listeners than Bernstein.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:50 am 

well doesn't he? i bet fox sports radio would go bankrupt if he left at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
IkeSouth wrote:
well doesn't he?

No.

IkeSouth wrote:
i bet fox sports radio would go bankrupt if he left at this point.

Dan Patrick is the star of FSR. Nort is just a guy. He could replaced by anybody here, and probably have the same audience.

Nobody in Chicago cares about him. Why would somebody in Fargo, Syracuse, or Boston have any interest in listening to an ignorant, uneducated loudmouth, with a heavy, Chicago meatball accent?

He can't even talk Chicago sports intelligently. Do you think he is capable of talking about the Boston Red Sox?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Hatchetman wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, it's quite Sisyphean. Never fear, he'll turn up at 890 when they flip to sports at the end of the year.

hey now, I like your way of thinking. Dahl got a three year deal I think though.

Hatcheman, have you listened to Dahl on 890 since he came over to the station? I've tuned in a few times, but have not been dazzled by his show. He has a lackey co-host with a baritone voice whom I find irritating, because all he does is laugh, when he is paid to talk. It would be good if Dahl talked about something more than stupid shit all time, maybe something like sports or whatever. B&B works because along with sports they talk about things in the news. Dahl just talks about stupid shit that no one cares about, except his servile listeners from way back when.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:58 am 

Dignified Rube wrote:
B&B works

They don't work in any sense of the word.

Yeah, what little I've heard of Dahl is boring as hell. WLS may have found a way to downgrade from Roe Conn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:03 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah, what little I've heard of Dahl is boring as hell. WLS may have found a way to downgrade from Roe Conn.

You got that right. They have amazing talent on WLS with Rush on mid-day and the excellent evening hosts, but Dahl fails miserably in the afternoon for being mundane. But I am no fan of Mankow's over-the-top antics either.

As for B&B, as much as I dislike Bernstein and disagree with his views often, I admit he is an extremely talented broadcaster, as was Boers before he got too old. The hour they have Hub on during the football season is as good as it gets.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:13 am 

Dignified Rube wrote:
They have amazing talent on WLS with Rush

Yeah, so amazing that Cumulus is doing everything they can to get his fat ass off their station. Or are you a high-concept mult posting from 1995?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:37 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
They have amazing talent on WLS with Rush

Yeah, so amazing that Cumulus is doing everything they can to get his fat ass off their station. Or are you a high-concept mult posting from 1995?

For what reason? For being outspoken and conservative? I guess that makes him an endangered species these days. Yes, he makes controversial statements sometimes but so does Bernstein all the time. The difference is that Rush's comments are inflammatory toward liberals, when he is the Kingpin of political talk radio in an industry controlled by liberals. Advertisers don't want Rush's exclusivism when he says liberals are wrong. I don't tune into to him much, but I did the other day to hear what he had to say about Trump. He couldn't have been more correct with what he said. When everyone else in the media has been wrong on Trump, dismissing him as boorish demagogue or even racist, Rush has discerned correctly Trump's political clout and his potential in the coming election as being the anti-establishment candidate, when voters are fed-up with the corrupt two-party system.

Rush is not the problem, rather the liberal politically-correct mindset is, when everything is construed as offensive to some people. People can't even laugh any more for heaven sake.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Chus wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
well doesn't he?

No.

IkeSouth wrote:
i bet fox sports radio would go bankrupt if he left at this point.

Dan Patrick is the star of FSR. Nort is just a guy. He could replaced by anybody here, and probably have the same audience.

Nobody in Chicago cares about him. Why would somebody in Fargo, Syracuse, or Boston have any interest in listening to an ignorant, uneducated loudmouth, with a heavy, Chicago meatball accent?

He can't even talk Chicago sports intelligently. Do you think he is capable of talking about the Boston Red Sox?

God, I do not miss hearing / seeing Dan Patrick.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brooks Boyer wrote:
We have a chance to be on a true flagship station. Part of what makes (the sports-talk stations) popular is that they look at us with a critical eye. We don't have a problem with that. Those guys are just doing their jobs. It's just something we won't have to deal with (being on WLS).

Correct! Which is what you should not only want, but strive for...not have a terrible relationship with your own flagship station????

I could not imagine if YOU JORR ran the Sox, you would be OK with having your Play by Play guy fight with the afternoon guys, or have your GM essentially never speak to anyone on the station...and so on.....while that and a billion other things dont change the overall success of a team, where it hurts is when the team does play good or have big games and people still dont show...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
bigfan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brooks Boyer wrote:

Correct! Which is what you should not only want, but strive for...not have a terrible relationship with your own flagship station????

I could not imagine if YOU JORR ran the Sox, you would be OK with having your Play by Play guy fight with the afternoon guys, or have your GM essentially never speak to anyone on the station...and so on.....while that and a billion other things dont change the overall success of a team, where it hurts is when the team does play good or have big games and people still dont show...

I don't think it's good business for a team to be actively adversarial with any media. (The Bears should make note of that right now.) But let's flip that around for a minute. I can't imagine if you, bigfan, ran a sports radio station that ostensibly was providing news/unbiased coverage that you would destroy all your credibility by acting as a promotional arm of a team(s).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:08 pm 

Would have a good cop and bad cop.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:09 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Would have a good cop and bad cop.

Bigfan & Keeping Score in the Mornings!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:11 pm