It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:49 am 

Shot a 82 at Washington County yesterday with 3 birdies, 43-39. Was 1 under on the back and finished double, bogey, bogey. :evil:
Although considering I hadn't touched a club for 2 months, I wasn't to upset.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Hawg Ass wrote:
Shot a 82 at Washington County yesterday with 3 birdies, 43-39. Was 1 under on the back and finished double, bogey, bogey. :evil:

You doubled that long par 3? Bogeyed the par 5? Nice shooting, that's a tough track.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:08 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

You doubled that long par 3? Bogeyed the par 5? Nice shooting, that's a tough track.

Yep, it was playing into a brutal wind and the pin was front right. I tried hitting a cut shot in there :oops: and missed it right. Was on a down slope in deep rough, no chance. Hit long and 3 putted. On 17 I drove it right into the shit, just a dumb shot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
T-Bone wrote:
shakes I think maybe you have been playing Lawsonia too much and are spoiled with top notch courses. I played Countryside Prairie on Saturday morning
and thought it was in great shape. Nice layout and the greens were some of the best I have played on this year. $40 to walk which was a little steep but
not unfair after playing it.

Hit the ball well, in fact I hit the first 10 greens in a row but the putter really let me down. I shot a 76 with 37 putts including 4 three putts. Hit the ball
well enough to shoot a 70. I played 9 last night at my local course and carded a 38. Once again the putter let me down. I lipped a few out and the
others I just burned the edge or left them short.

Or more likely, you're just used to playing dog tracks 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:43 am 

Made some radical changes to my game this weekend. First off, decided after watching Spieth putt that I was gonna change my grip and go with the right hand on top, interlocked with the left underneath it. Went and practiced it Friday at lunch to get the hang of it. Tried it Saturday at Lake Bluff. Drained a 15 footer to save par on #1. The rest of the day I was lagging every 30 footer to within a foot or two. The rest of my game was shit so I was always 30 feet away. Shot an 84, but it was the best I've ever putted in my life. Two things I notice with the new grip....one, it keeps the club on line during the downswing and two, its very hard to decelerate.

Yesterday went out to Ravisloe. Went the range and noticed that I'm standing too far away from the ball with my irons. Made the adjustment and it was like night and day. Went out and played the best golf of my life. First hole, hit a 4 hybrid from 185, landed it pin high 4 feet from the pin and it rolled out to 12 feet. Missed the birdie, but sunk a 10 footer birdie on #2. The rest of the day I was throwing darts with my irons and 4 hybrid. Only hit 3 fairways all day, but managed 10 GIRs and most of them within 10-15 feet. As for the new putting? Set a personal best by going my first round ever without a 3-putt.

Stepped up to 18 needing only a bogey to set my all time best score, but choked my way to my only double of the day to shoot a 77. Still I consider it my best score ever since the course I got a 76 on was so easy its not even recognized by the CDGA for handicapping purposes. I did shoot a 77 a couple years ago at a dog track up in Wisconsin, but this was my first 77 on a legit good course.

Now for the first time I feel great about every club/swing in my bag except one....the driver. I've given up on my two year pursuit for a draw and have just worked all year on managing my slice. I've done a great job managing to score well despite having such a handicap off the tee. Great hybrid and chipping have helped me hide my poor tee game all year, but I think its time to try and fix that glaring issue. Fact is I'll never be able to reach the next level of golf if I can't work the ball right to left. I'm losing 30-50 yards on every tee shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:30 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
77 is one hell of a score at Ravisloe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:02 am 

My usual golf buddy is out of town for the weekend so the goal is to show up before 6 am Saturday and Sunday and get out before the first tee time
heads out. I should be able to get around in 2.5 hours by myself if they let me go out. The County Open is being played this weekend starting
tomorrow. I didn't sign up this year after my State Am qualifying debacle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:31 am 

Cicero Dave wrote:
77 is one hell of a score at Ravisloe.

Thanks! It was the best I've ever played, especially on approach shots. I was right around the pin all day, even from hybrid distance. Never had a day like that, hopefully its a trend and not an anomaly.

Playing Deerfield with a buddy and one of his friends this afternoon. Gonna try and beat him, we're pretty close to even and he beat me pretty good a couple weeks ago. Looking for some revenge today. Tomorrow playing Thunder Hawk with a different friend. Should be fun, great course.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Yesterday's round of mine was brutal. I think I ended up with 95 or 96. Sliced every drive, three putted four or five different holes, chunked some ions, it was just a mess. The only thing I did well was play the 9th and 18th holes beautifully. #9 was a 240 yard par 3 over water, and I absolutely crushed my hybrid to the back of the green, and lagged my putt to about 3' for par. #18 was downhill into the wind, with a 130 yard carry over water. I stuck an 8 iron about 10' from the pin. Only two pars of the day for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:07 am 

Only got out Saturday morning. Clubhouse guys let me tee off before the first group at 6 am. Got around in 2 hours 20 minutes. Hit my irons
very well and got the putting back. Made the turn at 38 and was able to birdie 3 of the last 6 holes after a bogey on #12 coming in with a 34.
I birdied 4 holes including 2 par three's on the back. Only hit 3 fairways all day. Most of them I just missed by a little bit but I did have to
punch out 3 times leading to 3 bogeys. Hit 14 greens and had 31 putts. Finished the day at 72 which I was very happy with all things
considered. I can't remember the last time I shot that low on that particular course.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:11 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Cicero Dave wrote:
Yesterday's round of mine was brutal. I think I ended up with 95 or 96. Sliced every drive, three putted four or five different holes, chunked some ions, it was just a mess. The only thing I did well was play the 9th and 18th holes beautifully. #9 was a 240 yard par 3 over water, and I absolutely crushed my hybrid to the back of the green, and lagged my putt to about 3' for par. #18 was downhill into the wind, with a 130 yard carry over water. I stuck an 8 iron about 10' from the pin. Only two pars of the day for me.

It's hard to live a lie, "Dave".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:31 am 

Struggled to a 81 yesterday on a Par 70, just never really hit any shots solid. The only thing I did half ass was putt, and that hopefully will stay with me. Just need to play more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:17 am 

another fun weekend of golf for me. Friday I got revenge on my buddy and smoked him at Deerfield. Didn't shoot too well with an 84, but I was up big early so it was hard to stay focused. Was 1 over through 5 which helped get me out to a lead.

Saturday took on a different friend and the really tough Thunder Hawk. Had a great front with a 41, but then the wheels fell off in a big way. Was 85 yards out in the middle of the fairway in 1 on #10 and 5 strokes later I was in with a double. Thinned a SW over the green on #11 which led to a bogey. Walked up to 11 teebox with driver and hybrid, knew I should hit hybrid but instead hit driver directly OB. A comedy of errors later I had a quad. Shaken up on next hole I put tee shot in sand on par 3, double bogey. 9 over on the first 4 holes on the back. Told my friend I just need to par out and nearly did it. Parred the next 4 holes before shanking my drive on 18 which led to bogey for a 41-46-87. Still better than the 94 I shot there last year.

Yesterday took the wife out to Bowes Creek. Played there last year in the Golf Week Am Tour and finished second to last with a 97. Lowlights of the round included taking 2 shots to get to the fairway on #1 in front of about 25 other competitors. Also managed to triple bogey 5 straight holes.

I knew things would be different yesterday when I rolled in a 15 footer for birdie on #1. Rolled in a par saving 12 footer on 2. Had a double on 4 and a triple on 7, but wasn't unhappy with the 42 on the front. Gave one back on 10, but 4 pars and 2 bogeys later I was on 17 needing 2 pars to shoot 80, 1 birdie to break 80. Lately, Ive been choking pretty bad in that position, but yesterday I pured a PW on 17 for an easy par and then on 18 I hit my best drive of the day, was 142 out and hit a perfect 8 to the middle of the green. Had a 15 foot look at birdie but didn't get it. Finished for par and an 80. 17 stroke improvement over last year.

As for the course, it was in phenomenal shape. They really do try to keep it like a semi-private club, definitely a step above a regular public course. We teed off at 11:50 and never saw another sole on the course. The light drizzle probably had something to do with that, but all in al the weather was perfect, much more pleasant than Saturday's heat. Greens were very fast and smooth, they even had a guy going from green to green and repairing any ball marks that were there. I just wish the front 9 was as nice as the back. Back is really fun with lots of elevated tee boxes. Front is pretty flat by comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:45 am 

shakes, how was Thunder Hawk condition wise? I haven't played out there for at least 3 years. Not a fan of holes 12-14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:11 am 

Course was in perfect shape. All the greens were smooth and pretty fast.

yea I really butchered 12. Its a tough driving hole with trouble on both sides, but its too long for me to go hybrid unless I want to go hybrid hybrid which in retrospect is actually the smarter play for me since there is a bail out area right of the green. 13 I just hit a bad tee shot and leaked it into the trap. 14 I played it well, hit a nice 4 hybrid to 190 on the left side of the fairway. Slightly pulled a 9i just off the green and got up and down for par.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
I have only played four rounds this year. :(

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:20 pm 

Chus wrote:

I've posted 36 rounds for handicap purposes and that doesn't include my Wed night 9 hole golf league as well as a handful of rounds at Edgebrook. probably closing in on 50 rounds of golf this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:26 pm 

shakes wrote:
Chus wrote:

I've posted 36 rounds for handicap purposes and that doesn't include my Wed night 9 hole golf league as well as a handful of rounds at Edgebrook. probably closing in on 50 rounds of golf this season.

I have been out 32 times. Hoping to finish near 55 - 60 for the season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Chus wrote:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Furious Styles wrote:
Chus wrote:

I might be able to get out three times in August. I am playing once with my uncle, once with my wife, and hopefully once with a bunch of you knuckleheads.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:23 am 

Hawg and/or T-bone, either of you guys played or heard anything about http://whisperingspringsgolf.com/ ? I've been wanting to try it for a couple years and just booked a tee time there for Saturday.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:25 am 

shakes wrote:
Hawg and/or T-bone, either of you guys played or heard anything about http://whisperingspringsgolf.com/ ? I've been wanting to try it for a couple years and just booked a tee time there for Saturday.

Many years ago, but I remember I liked it a lot. Also, a few of my friends play it every year and really like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:35 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
shakes wrote:

Many years ago, but I remember I liked it a lot. Also, a few of my friends play it every year and really like it.

sweet, you wanna join me? 10:03 tee time? Or how about a round at Lawsonia sometime over the weekend?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:36 am 

shakes wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
shakes wrote:

sweet, you wanna join me? 10:03 tee time? Or how about a round at Lawsonia sometime over the weekend?

T-bone asked me to play too this weekend and as I told him, I don't know yet. I am waiting to hear some things with my son.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:43 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
shakes wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
shakes wrote:

T-bone asked me to play too this weekend and as I told him, I don't know yet. I am waiting to hear some things with my son.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:44 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:56 am 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2532220-report-person-pooping-in-holes-at-norwegian-golf-course-still-at-large?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=golf

Looks like I'm cancelling my plans for a Norweigan golf vacation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:10 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
shakes wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
shakes wrote:

I'd totally be game to hook up with you guys to play if it would work out but I doubt I would go that far north (Fond Du Lac). Washington County would likely be my
northern border limit that particular day. I do have some interest in tackling some of the courses around Green Lake someday.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:14 pm 

If I could play just, just meet me somewhere off of the freeway and we could head straight up. It is not that far from here. Might want to clear that with the wife though first T-bone. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:21 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
If I could play just, just meet me somewhere off of the freeway and we could head straight up. It is not that far from here. Might want to clear that with the wife though first T-bone. :D

My calendar is clear that day. If you can golf then we can probably make it happen. My wife is cool with me golfing whenever I want during the season. I have a feeling I will
need to pay my penance during the off season. :eye:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 26  Next