It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:03 am 

Very nice round indeed, look forward to playing with you up there sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
A new Top Golf facility opens in Naperville off of I88 behind the Carmax in September. Time to dust off the Cobras & play this game again.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Scorehead on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Scorehead wrote:
A new Top Golf facility opens in Naperville off of I88 behind the Carmax in September.

So they claim. That place doesn't look close to being ready to open.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
shakes wrote:
Another great weekend of golf up in Wisconsin. Started it out by playing Lawsonia Friday in 30 mph winds. Balls were oscillating on the greens, flagsticks were sideways in the wind. Started out with 5 bogeys and never really recovered...ended up 43-41-84 with all pars and bogeys.

Next day was the outing in Fond Du Lac with T-bone and Hawg. Had a great time hanging with those guys and really appreciate the patience they showed with my wife who's pretty new to the game. Course was in fantastic shape....but unfortunately my game wasn't. Had my worst round of the year, 44-49-93. First time in the 90s since mid May, early in the season. Didn't have a single good iron shot till my last iron shot of the day on 18, a 105 yard gap wedge that nearly holed out. Had a few good hybrids, but other than that pretty much everything else was terrible. Still managed to have a great time due to the company, but spent the rest of the day upset with myself for the total lack of focus I had in the round. The fact that I was able to have such a good shot on 18 when I really beared down and said to myself that I was going to finally have a good shot only emphasized to me how bad my focus was on the other 92 shots that day.

Decided to get up early and play Lawsonia yesterday. Needed to rebound after Saturday's disaster. Got to the course at 8:12 and was told I could jump in with a two some at 8:20 or wait til 10. So jumped in with no warmup. Got up and down on 1 for a par. On #2 had a great drive and was 120 out, setting up my favorite shot on the course....I know from experience that the way to approach #2 is to land the ball at the end of the right side of the fairway where it will take the slope and bounce on to the green. Exectuted it perfectly and watched the ball roll up to 3 inches for a tap in birdie. Parred 3 and 4 before bogeying the par 5 5th with a 3 putt from 30 feet. On 6 I landed a 199 yard 4 hybrid 4 feet in front of the pin...it rolled out to 15 feet and I got par. Next hole, the famous par 3 boxcar hole with a green that is elevated 25 feet and built on top of an old railroad box car. Hit it fat and was short of the green with a straight up 25 foot pitch. Got up and down for an impressive par. Next hole the wind started picking up. Short par 4 with the wind, went D-Gap wedge and then sunk the 15 foot birdie putt to go to -1 through 8. Never in my life have I played 9 holes at even par, let alone under par. Perfect drive on 9 with a tough left to right wind and tons of trouble on the r. Perfect hybrid and i was 85 yards out, needing only a 5 to finish -1. Of course I choked and shanked a SW almost OB and short sided myself with a bunker between me and the green. Great chip left me a 10 footer which I lipped out so ended with a bogey and my first ever even par 9 holes.

Back 9 the winds kicked up to about 20 mph and from the west which is a terrible wind for the back nine. The only holes where it is at your back are two short par 3s. Struggled big time with club selection and the wind the rest of the way. On #17 which is usually a D-9i, I went D-4 hybrid and came up 10 yards short. Scuffed my way to a 43 on the back to shoot a 79, a great bounce back from Saturday's fiasco.

How many times did you see Hawger kicking a ball out of the rough?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:50 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
shakes wrote:
Another great weekend of golf up in Wisconsin. Started it out by playing Lawsonia Friday in 30 mph winds. Balls were oscillating on the greens, flagsticks were sideways in the wind. Started out with 5 bogeys and never really recovered...ended up 43-41-84 with all pars and bogeys.

Next day was the outing in Fond Du Lac with T-bone and Hawg. Had a great time hanging with those guys and really appreciate the patience they showed with my wife who's pretty new to the game. Course was in fantastic shape....but unfortunately my game wasn't. Had my worst round of the year, 44-49-93. First time in the 90s since mid May, early in the season. Didn't have a single good iron shot till my last iron shot of the day on 18, a 105 yard gap wedge that nearly holed out. Had a few good hybrids, but other than that pretty much everything else was terrible. Still managed to have a great time due to the company, but spent the rest of the day upset with myself for the total lack of focus I had in the round. The fact that I was able to have such a good shot on 18 when I really beared down and said to myself that I was going to finally have a good shot only emphasized to me how bad my focus was on the other 92 shots that day.

Decided to get up early and play Lawsonia yesterday. Needed to rebound after Saturday's disaster. Got to the course at 8:12 and was told I could jump in with a two some at 8:20 or wait til 10. So jumped in with no warmup. Got up and down on 1 for a par. On #2 had a great drive and was 120 out, setting up my favorite shot on the course....I know from experience that the way to approach #2 is to land the ball at the end of the right side of the fairway where it will take the slope and bounce on to the green. Exectuted it perfectly and watched the ball roll up to 3 inches for a tap in birdie. Parred 3 and 4 before bogeying the par 5 5th with a 3 putt from 30 feet. On 6 I landed a 199 yard 4 hybrid 4 feet in front of the pin...it rolled out to 15 feet and I got par. Next hole, the famous par 3 boxcar hole with a green that is elevated 25 feet and built on top of an old railroad box car. Hit it fat and was short of the green with a straight up 25 foot pitch. Got up and down for an impressive par. Next hole the wind started picking up. Short par 4 with the wind, went D-Gap wedge and then sunk the 15 foot birdie putt to go to -1 through 8. Never in my life have I played 9 holes at even par, let alone under par. Perfect drive on 9 with a tough left to right wind and tons of trouble on the r. Perfect hybrid and i was 85 yards out, needing only a 5 to finish -1. Of course I choked and shanked a SW almost OB and short sided myself with a bunker between me and the green. Great chip left me a 10 footer which I lipped out so ended with a bogey and my first ever even par 9 holes.

Back 9 the winds kicked up to about 20 mph and from the west which is a terrible wind for the back nine. The only holes where it is at your back are two short par 3s. Struggled big time with club selection and the wind the rest of the way. On #17 which is usually a D-9i, I went D-4 hybrid and came up 10 yards short. Scuffed my way to a 43 on the back to shoot a 79, a great bounce back from Saturday's fiasco.

:evil:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:44 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
shakes wrote:

The ol' foot wedge. Classic Hawg.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
any of you guys have a good golf book recommendation? I just finished The Match and just bought Golf is Not a Game of Perfect from ibooks. Looking forward to that one, hoping to find some tips for the mental side of the game. I've done a great job this year changing my attitude on the course..in fact there's nothing I'm more proud of in terms of my golf game this season. But, I've had a lot of choking moments where I've been playing great and then threw it away on the last hole or last couple holes.

After that I'll probably read Good Walk Spoiled by Feinstein. Supposed to be good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:20 pm 

shakes wrote:
any of you guys have a good golf book recommendation? I just finished The Match and just bought Golf is Not a Game of Perfect from ibooks. Looking forward to that one, hoping to find some tips for the mental side of the game. I've done a great job this year changing my attitude on the course..in fact there's nothing I'm more proud of in terms of my golf game this season. But, I've had a lot of choking moments where I've been playing great and then threw it away on the last hole or last couple holes.

After that I'll probably read Good Walk Spoiled by Feinstein. Supposed to be good.

Good Walk Spoiled is very good, if you never read Payne Stewart's book it is also very good. I will try and remember to look tonight at home as I have a lot of golf books.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:35 pm 

shakes wrote:
hoping to find some tips for the mental side of the game. I've done a great job this year changing my attitude on the course..in fact there's nothing I'm more proud of in terms of my golf game this season.

No broken clubs this year?

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:32 pm 

Chus wrote:
shakes wrote:
hoping to find some tips for the mental side of the game. I've done a great job this year changing my attitude on the course..in fact there's nothing I'm more proud of in terms of my golf game this season.

No broken clubs this year?

Nope, the changes I've made in my attitude have been pretty impressive. That was my only goal going into this season and its the main reason my game has improved as much as it has this year. I don't get mad anymore on the course no matter what happens and its helped me avoid piling on bad shot after bad shot. Also made the game much more enjoyable for myself and anyone who's golfing with me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:54 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Ended up selling my Taylor Made R9 irons to Play It Again Sports last night for $150. The guy said he was going to turn
around and sell them for $300. I might have been able to get that out of them but don't want the hassle of trying to
sell them on Craigs List or wherever. They are 6 year old irons. The funny thing was I brought a 4 -iron in of the
R9's and one of my Mizunos. When I asked him what he would have given me for the Mizuno's he said he didn't
bother to look them up because the R9's were the better club. I wanted to laugh at him but I figured he just knows
the Taylor Made name and the fact that I was secretly hoping he would pick the clubs he did I kept my mouth shut.
I also sold an old 3 wood and a pair of hockey skates from the mid 90s for an additional $20. So $170 towards the
new set I will be buying in the offseason.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Looking to play Sunday in the north/nw suburbs with the stink of Lakemoorfest still on me.

Who's down?

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:14 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
Looking to play Sunday in the north/nw suburbs with the stink of Lakemoorfest still on me.

Who's down?

No can do on Sunday after the Saturday festivities.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:32 am 

Getting out to play with Hawg and Hawg Jr. tomorrow morning and then going again first off Sunday morning. Weather looks pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Played today for the first time all season OMG I cannot hit a driver straight to save my ass. Slicing way right all the fucking time. Still enjoyed the round played with my lovely wife. Being on call every other week I just cannot play enough anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:55 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
River Oaks at the crack of dawn on Saturday. Not the best course, but for $25 and nobody else around it was perfect to get out and play quickly. Played 2 balls the entire time, and also played the 8th hole twice. Ended up with 86-92. Driver was still kind of all over the place, but only 3 double bogeys on the card, and everything else was par or single bogey. Not the best I've played, but certainly hit the ball better than the last few rounds. I'll take it. I teed off at 5:50am, and was home by 9:30.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:08 am 

80-86 this weekend. Nice round with Hawg and son. I can't hit a fairway to save my life and in turn can't hit greens. I was in more
sand this weekend than I have been almost all year. Getting a forced break due to being out of town for work most of this week. I
will be heading to Pine Meadow next Monday for a practice session where I will tear some shit down and try to figure things out. I am not
that far off from getting things right but I am doing a couple things that don't feel correct.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:53 am 

T-Bone wrote:
80-86 this weekend. Nice round with Hawg and son. I can't hit a fairway to save my life and in turn can't hit greens. I was in more
sand this weekend than I have been almost all year. Getting a forced break due to being out of town for work most of this week. I
will be heading to Pine Meadow next Monday for a practice session where I will tear some shit down and try to figure things out. I am not
that far off from getting things right but I am doing a couple things that don't feel correct.

Yes, very much enjoyed, and thanks again. Shot a 81 as my irons just continue to cause issues, way to many unforced errors. Thank goodness I can scramble.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:31 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Yes, very much enjoyed, and thanks again. Shot a 81 as my irons just continue to cause issues, way to many unforced errors. Thank goodness I can scramble.

Scrambling is the only thing I have been doing halfway decent, because I have to. 9 bunkers this weekend is way out of whack for me. Thankfully I got up and down
4 of those times. My irons are just off. My yardages are off as I am not hitting the irons flush. I am not a very good player but I can usually depend on getting my
yardages right. Not like me to be in the sand that much. My buddy shot a 74 yesterday with a -1 on the back so it was good to see him get going. He has a bit of
an unorthodox style but he had it going and he hits the hell out of it.

I had two double bogeys and a triple on the front nine. Both of the doubles on par 3s. :eye:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:45 am 

T-Bone wrote:
I am not a very good player but I can usually depend on getting my yardages right.

Lol wut?

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:55 am 

Chus wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
I am not a very good player but I can usually depend on getting my yardages right.

Lol wut?

I haven't been very good lately. I can certainly understand Hawgs frustrations with not hitting the ball flush with the irons.
My buddy beat me by 12 yesterday which was an eye opener. I usually beat him by 5-6 shots. I saw good players in the state
tournaments I shit the bed at. I am better than average but far from "good".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
46/40 *86 at Arboretum Club yesterday. Walked on at 10:15 as a single and was done by 2:00. Played solo and the course was in great shape. The greens and bunkers were pristine. Feel like my wedge game really came around. 8/14 fairways and 24% GIR. Irons were very inconsistent.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:25 am 

Lot of golf this weekend and way too much time spent on the course. I know you think that's not possible, but when you play a 5 hour round on a Thursday night and then follow that up with a 6.5 hour round friday in a scramble you definitely start to think about other things you could be doing with your time.

Thursday: Ruffled Feathers, twilight round that took 5 hours. One of the tougher courses in the state, designed by PB Dye. Course is notorious for not being in great shape. Not a fan of the layout, there's hard and then there's annoying hard. Did manage to scrap my way to an 85.

Friday: Work Comp lawyers outing at Willow Crest. Had a great time with my team, but 6.5 hour rounds are not fun. Totally ruined my plan of staying on the course after the scramble and playing 18 with my own ball. I played great in the scramble, unfortunately my team was awful. One guy only played a few times so it was expected that he would suck. The other two both have indexes in the teens, but between them we probably used 5 of their shots all day. I batted cleanup and it became a running joke how often I would go up there with 3 balls OB or in jail.

Saturday: my hockey team golf outing at Lake Bluff. 2 man scramble teams, 8 guys total. Everyone made sure to have plenty of "people hitting balls" in their bag since we had a rule this year that if you hit someone in the other group you can take a stroke off your score. So balls were flying back and forth between the groups all day. Its tough to putt when balls are raining down on the green. #18 was hilarious. Its next to the driving range so there were about 25 range balls on the hole..we grabbed them all and lined them up and took shots at the second group coming up the fairway. It must've been like storming the beaches at Normandy for those guys. I got really good at sending head high screamers with my 3 hybrid, so good it opened my eyes to using that club for punch outs more often. Played really well again, but then on #17 I shanked an iron shot. Then shanked another. All in all, shanked 5 straight iron shots to finish the day, was obviously way too tired and was lunging at the ball.

Sunday: Morning lesson to fix my driver. Turns out I've lost about 10 mph off my driver swing speed in the past couple years..used to be 97 now its 85. So, that brand new Titleist driver I just bought? Useless due to the shaft. I need to go down to regular flex, and then hopefully I can turn the club over and not slice everything. After that discouraging session I took the wife to Deerfield. Went hybrid off the tee all day, moved up to 6200 tees and shot an 84 with my usual triple on #7. Thankfully the shank was gone, only had 1 all day. Inconsistent with the hybrids...13 good ones and 8 bad ones including a couple really bad ones. putted well with 0 3-putts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:26 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
46/40 *86 at Arboretum Club yesterday. Walked on at 10:15 as a single and was done by 2:00. Played solo and the course was in great shape. The greens and bunkers were pristine. Feel like my wedge game really came around. 8/14 fairways and 24% GIR. Irons were very inconsistent.

THat place is usually a death march, good job finishing in less than 4. Not a fan of that course, way too much water.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:46 am 

I got around with the Hawgs in about 4 hrs after teeing off at 9 on a Saturday morning. I thought that was really pretty good. Yesterday my buddy and I got
around in 3 hours. For the 4th time this year there was a foursome that teed off on #10 before we made the turn. Same group every time. They finally let
us play through after 3 holes. I am usually not one to complain but this was the time that broke the camels back. I went in and talked to the pro about it.
He said he would talk to them about it and they should be letting people making the turn play through. #realworldproblems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:48 am 

It seems as if CSFMB is having a whole lot of iron issues, I hope to cure mine next week in Tennessee.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:06 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
It seems as if CSFMB is having a whole lot of iron issues, I hope to cure mine next week in Tennessee.

I hope by buying new ones for next season my problems will all be fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:28 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

I'd still figure out a way to hit the occasional hozzle rocket with that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:33 pm 

shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

I'd still figure out a way to hit the occasional hozzle rocket with that.

If I bought a new set of irons, they wouldn't need a club face. I never hit it anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:45 pm 

Just traded in my driver for the Ping G30 regular flex. Still off to the right a bit, but noticeably better than the Titleist. Gonna work on a new stance this week. Might just have to get rid of the driver altogether. IF the trackman is right I'm only hitting it 210 tops anyway, I already hit my 3 hybrid that far. The driver swing is just really tough for me to make with my back, too much turning involved.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next