It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Played Glencoe after work last night with my new driver. Couldn't get to the center of the club face the entire front nine, but was keeping the hozzle-fades in the fairway for the most part. On #10 I adjusted and moved further away from the ball. Started getting closer to the center and hit all 7 fairways on the back with some only slight fades. Felt really good, happy I made the switch. Ended up hitting 12/15 fairways, but only 5 greens. Scrambled well to shoot an 83 including chipping in on 18 for my only bird.

Focus wasn't really there, but it never is on these after work rounds. Always feel rushed getting there and then on the course.

Golf league playoffs start tonight, our goal is to win the gross and then whatever happens with the net happens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
46/40 *86 at Arboretum Club yesterday. Walked on at 10:15 as a single and was done by 2:00. Played solo and the course was in great shape. The greens and bunkers were pristine. Feel like my wedge game really came around. 8/14 fairways and 24% GIR. Irons were very inconsistent.

THat place is usually a death march, good job finishing in less than 4. Not a fan of that course, way too much water.

They had a foursome cancel just before I signed in. First tee was wide open and had 2-3 holes between me and the group in front of me.

Did a good job avoiding the water off the tee, but chunked/thinned 3-4 approach shots. Lucky i chipped in for par twice.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:05 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Gleneagles Red on Tuesday after a real short work day. Every single shot with the driver went right, way right. Obviously I am not getting the clubhead square thru the zone, as several irons were pushed to the right as well, though they did not slice nearly as much as the driver. I just have no idea why. I do not feel like I am jumping at the ball or overswinging, so it clearly must be something either in my setup and/or my swingpath. Still though, I was able to scramble a few times and card a 41 on the front. Not quite as hot on the back with a 46, but it was really 3 bad shots (two of which were lost balls) leading to three double bogeys that cost me. I chipped pretty well, and burned the edges on putts at least six times. Had I gotten a few of those to fall, certainly it would have kept the score lower. Outside of only a couple shots, I hit my irons pretty solid as well. The rough there was short and incredibly dry and therefore gave lots of roll, but the greens and fairways were, for the most part, in excellent condition.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:24 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Cicero Dave wrote:
Obviously I am not getting the clubhead square thru the zone, as several irons were pushed to the right as well, though they did not slice nearly as much as the driver. I just have no idea why. I do not feel like I am jumping at the ball or overswinging, so it clearly must be something either in my setup and/or my swingpath.
Hit probably 200 balls at the range yesterday, and after ~150 shots finally realized that my back elbow was flying out from my body...the dreaded chicken wing. Once I figured that out my last 40 or 50 shots were, for the most part, very solid hits and went fairly straight . Playing tomorrow in Bourbonais, so hopefully my shots and the scorecard is better than the last few rounds.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:43 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Cicero Dave wrote:
Cicero Dave wrote:
Obviously I am not getting the clubhead square thru the zone, as several irons were pushed to the right as well, though they did not slice nearly as much as the driver. I just have no idea why. I do not feel like I am jumping at the ball or overswinging, so it clearly must be something either in my setup and/or my swingpath.
Hit probably 200 balls at the range yesterday, and after ~150 shots finally realized that my back elbow was flying out from my body...the dreaded chicken wing. Once I figured that out my last 40 or 50 shots were, for the most part, very solid hits and went fairly straight . Playing tomorrow in Bourbonais, so hopefully my shots and the scorecard is better than the last few rounds.

Good Luck "Dave"!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:49 pm 

Who is up for playing on the 22nd?

Maybe get 1 or 2 foursomes together through Golf Now.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:22 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

No can do sir.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:49 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

No can do sir.

Yeah, I know. :lol:

Next weekend is wide open for me and I want to get out.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:56 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

No can do sir.

Yeah, I know. :lol:

Next weekend is wide open for me and I want to get out.

Just thought I would remind ya. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Furious Styles wrote:

In.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Chus wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

In.

I'll text Frank so he knows to contact you guys.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:30 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

Probably not gonna make it.
Have to coach from about 12:30-3:30 that day

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:36 pm 

spanky wrote:

Blow it off.

Myself, Chus and shakes are in.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:42 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
spanky wrote:

Blow it off.

Myself, Chus and shakes are in.

Jack Klompus wrote:
You've got some nerve, taking that kids' pen.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:38 am 

Where you guys want to play Saturday?

Got out a bunch this weekend. Shot an 80 Thursday at Glencoe and then the wheels fell off the rest of the weekend. Played Wilmette Friday, first time out there since they had a massive re-do the last two years. All new greens etc. I was told that the greens were not receptive yet, but I wasn't prepared for just how hard they were. After rolling 5-6 shots through the greens I stopped keeping score and just played for skins. Ended up winning a couple dollars despite playing terrible.

Saturday first round out at George Dunne. My group insisted on playing the blues, 6700 yards, so I was screwed from the start. Especially since my hybrid game has fallen apart in the past couple weeks. used to be the most reliable clubs in my bag, they always went straight. Now, I keep losing them to the right and then every once in a while I will over compensate and send one straight left. I'm starting to think that it could be a shaft issue as I have stiff shafts in all my hybrids. Going to test out some regular shaft hybrids this week to see if that's the issue. Anyway, limped my way to an 89 at George Dunne, triple bogeyed #18 from over the green in 2.

Sunday much of the same at Lake Bluff, shot a 44 on the front. Bogeyed the first 3 on the back before finally settling down and playingthe last 6 holes at 1 over to finish with a respectable 84.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:48 pm 

-Hank Kingsley

Last edited by Furious Styles on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:50 pm 

Open to suggestions for 8/22 courses. Looks like it will be the three of us.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:09 pm 

Chus is down south and you're on the northwest side of the city, I'm a little closer to the city. Should we shoot for something western/southern suburbs, something centrally located?

Chus, where you coming from?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:18 pm 

shakes wrote:
Chus is down south and you're on the northwest side of the city, I'm a little closer to the city. Should we shoot for something western/southern suburbs, something centrally located?

Chus, where you coming from?

I live right by 88, so I can get anywhere pretty easily.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:48 pm 

Where is Cicero Dave? This could be a great opportunity to meet some fellow board members for the first time.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:20 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Where is Cicero Dave? This could be a great opportunity to meet some fellow board members for the first time.

:lol:

I have a fourth.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:19 am 

After shooting a 91 yesterday with 3 buddies on a course that I shot an 80 and an 83 a week ago I went home and did a little research into my scoring history since July 1.

Scoring average when I play with friends: 87.33
Scoring average when I play with strangers or alone: 80.63

Just as I suspected, I'm a mental midget who can't handle the distractions of playing with friends. I think I'm going to cut down on rounds with friends quite a bit. I enjoy hanging out with them, but at the end of the day I end up leaving the course upset with myself. In the grand scheme of things, I have much more fun on the course when I'm out there by myself or with strangers and all I'm thinking about is my next shot.

At least my wife makes the cut, my average with her only dipped to 83.

Gonna try and right the ship tomorrow and make an effort to focus better, but odds are once the vapor pens come into play that plan will go out the window. :drunken:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:02 am 

shakes wrote:
After shooting a 91 yesterday with 3 buddies on a course that I shot an 80 and an 83 a week ago I went home and did a little research into my scoring history since July 1.

Just as I suspected, I'm a mental midget who can't handle the distractions of playing with friends. I think I'm going to cut down on rounds with friends quite a bit. I enjoy hanging out with them, but at the end of the day I end up leaving the course upset with myself. In the grand scheme of things, I have much more fun on the course when I'm out there by myself or with strangers and all I'm thinking about is my next shot.

Gonna try and right the ship tomorrow and make an effort to focus better, but odds are once the vapor pens come into play that plan will go out the window. :drunken:

I can talk shit to you all round, and pretend that I hate you, if that will help.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:35 am 

Chus wrote:
shakes wrote:

I can talk shit to you all round, and pretend that I hate you, if that will help.

No, that's exactly how all my other friends act on the course!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:21 pm 

Hmmm. Pretty sure I play worse with a group of buddies also.
Wonder what the difference could be......? :drunken:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:58 pm 

Had a doctors appointment at 3 at U of C and timed it perfectly and was able to get out to Harborside for a 4:10 tee time. had to drive through a lot of stop sign optional neighborhoods to get there. Was able to get out as a single and was determined to stay focused the entire time. Wind was two clubs and gusting. It was a death march out there (3 groups on every hole) so I had plenty of time to think about each shot. End result: 77, best score ever on a par 72 course. Played the last 3 holes in darkness. Lipped out from 110 yards, but only know that cause the group exiting the green yelled out and told me what happened. Luckily the ball was only a couple feet from the hole so easy birdie. Almost skulled out a line drive 8 iron into the wind, drove up and it was 4 feet from the hole, birdie. Made several putts outside 10 feet and 1 outside 25. Blue tees are 6600 and whites are 5900 so I invented a combo set of 11 blues and 7 whites.

Felt great to go out there and play like that after some recently disappointing rounds. It'll definitely mean I won't give a crap when I shoot my 88 tomorrow with Chus and Furious :drunken:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:36 pm 

Great time was had by all in today's inaugural Weed Open at Naperbrook. I didn't hit any putts, but my ball striking was solid and consistent outside of a couple fat iron shots. My 5 hybrid was the star of the show, 180 yards and straight as an arrow every time. needed it quite a bit in the high winds out there. Ended up at the top of the leader board with an 81.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:12 am 

My performance on the golf course Saturday can be summarized as follows:

- # of compliments received on my socks/shoes combination: 2

- # of compliments received on my golf game: 0

Struggled my way to an 89. Never got into a groove. Poor mental focus on my part on most penal miscues.

Good times. Good burger.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I haven't played in over two weeks and will be playing Pine Meadow this coming Saturday which is a course I absolutely love but
you need to have your decent game with you to enjoy it. Playing with a family friend that I haven't seen in 25 years.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:47 am 

Played Blackstone for the first time yesterday. Not often that a place lives up to the hype, let alone surpass it but Blackstone definitely did. KNown for having the fastest, toughest greens of any public course in Illinois it definitely lived up to its reputation, but the course it self is also amazing and in great shape. Facilities are top notch as well.

I would compare to to Cantigny only with much tougher greens.

Marengo is a bit of a haul, but well worth it to play this gem.

I shot an 85 and was ecstatic to do so cause the course was brutally hard and topped off with a 25 MPH wind yesterday. Every hole was a daunting task and by the end of the round I felt like I had just ridden a roller coaster. I knew I was in for a tough day when I was 60 yards out in 1 on #1, sent a SW rolling off the back of the green, chipped on and over the front of the green and then finally got it back on for a two putt double bogey.

Its the kind of course you need to play multiple times to know all the shots, I was lucky to be paired up with someone who had at least been out there a couple times so he was able to warn me about some unseen dangers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 26  Next