It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kaplan to AM 1000
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Mr. Reason wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
For the life of me, I just don't get the fascination with college football.

1. A few people went to college, so you have a fanbase via that connection.
2. Many of the Schools are in areas without pro football...Bama, LSU (2 hrs from NO), USC, UCLA, TCU...Michigan and Ohio st :lol:

And colleges are experiencing the same football lack of attendance issues the NFL is.

I remain flummoxed.

The Illini lack of attendance is justified.

Illini lack of attendance is justified but foolish. They were a program in the same realm as many others, even in the 80's. Not going to say they were Mich or Ohio St, but they had NFL QBs in George and Eason and other NFL players. They were considered a big time program. Part of being a big time program is big time facilities. The renovations they have done in the past few years are sub par at best and remind me of a certain NFL team spending $500 mill to renovate a stadium and still end up RENTING the smallest stadium in the NFL.

As Bama, Ohio St, LSU, Fla St, Auburn continue to raise the bar between them, schools like Illinois fall further and further behind. Every 10 years, they just make some modifications and it is an upgrade but they cant compete when a kid goes to Bama, UCLA, etc....then they come to Champaign , just not in the same class.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:21 pm 

I agree on the facilities at Illinois. I've always said that it makes no sense what those teams play in. They've been raking in cash for years.

For sake of comparison, look at the renovations/upgrades going on at Mizzou right now. That place is going to be amazing.
Not many years ago, Illinois and Mizzou were comparable programs, both with crappy "big time" facilities, relatively speaking.
The difference between the two stadiums/facilities in another year is going to be gigantic.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:39 am 

Don't get the Kaplan love. He's a white Larry. They are both competent and present shows in a professional manner but are rather insipid, unctuous, and lobotomizing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:05 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
sjboyd0137 wrote:
This is another great reason for me to not listen to AM 1000.

At least Waddle won't be the most insufferable prick on the air at that station anymore.

Due to White Sox baseball I ended up listening to Waddle and Silvy for about 30 minutes or so and heard the
announcement live. What a disjointed schedule. They were pretty proud of themselves for going all local
though. This was the first time I have spent more than 5 minutes listening to this show and it was pretty
bad.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:16 pm 

denisdman wrote:
I also listened to him on the Game.

So you're the one guy?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Zizou wrote:
Don't get the Kaplan love. He's a white Larry. They are both competent and present shows in a professional manner but are rather insipid, unctuous, and lobotomizing.

...yeah but Kaplan played golf with Michael Jordan so your point is invalid!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Douchebag wrote:
denisdman wrote:

So you're the one guy?

2 guys. Looking at the ratings that 87.7 is currently getting, around a 1.8, shows how badly Jimmy DeCastro mismanaged the game. 87.7 has billboards all over the place. North would be proud.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:26 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
denisdman wrote:

So you're the one guy?

2 guys. Looking at the ratings that 87.7 is currently getting, around a 1.8, shows how badly Jimmy DeCastro mismanaged the game. 87.7 has billboards all over the place. North would be proud.

Why aren't people like you and Curious Hair blaming the current 87.7's ratings on being located on a terrible signal that nobody can listen to?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Why would I do that? The signal isn't terrible, and I've consistently noted that the frequency has gotten respectable ratings with every format but sports.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:51 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
denisdman wrote:

So you're the one guy?

Why aren't people like you and Curious Hair blaming the current 87.7's ratings on being located on a terrible signal that nobody can listen to?

87.7 FM is a low power analog limited range station, 3000 watts I believe. How they are pulling a 1.8 rating is a mystery to many.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:53 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
How they are pulling a 1.8 rating is a mystery to many.

It's not a mystery.

The alternative station that was on that frequency was pulling low 2.0's, and the Easy Listening crap put up decent numbers as well.

The "bad frequency" was an excuse thrown around by people like yourself that wanted to find any reason for The Score to lose. But they won, again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:53 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
87.7 FM is a low power analog limited range station, 3000 watts I believe. How they are pulling a 1.8 rating is a mystery to many.

Well, Chicago has always been a solid market for oldies. With 94.7 and 104.3 getting away from a wider range of oldies to focus on the worn-out "classic hits" format, listeners who want that music have gone out and found it, and being an older demographic, didn't find it on the internet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Douchebag wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

It's not a mystery.

The alternative station that was on that frequency was pulling low 2.0's, and the Easy Listening crap put up decent numbers as well.

The "bad frequency" was an excuse thrown around by people like yourself that wanted to find any reason for The Score to lose. But they won, again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:59 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

It's not a mystery.

I didnt think the 87.7 frequency ever approached the 2.0 ratings mark...and I liked the Game and the lineup alot and wanted to see a 3rd sports station succeed since I dont like what The Score has become. Not fan of asshole radio.
I'm certainly not alone with that opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:07 pm 

http://web.archive.org/web/201310040900 ... exe/arb005
87.7 hit 2.0 in July and August of 2013, 1.9 in June and September. It was the lone success of Merlin Media while they ran the Loop and WKQX's original frequency right into the ground.

By the way, wattage isn't the be-all-end-all of FM coverage. You'll find that lots of FM stations in Chicago broadcast at low wattage from the Sears and Hancock, generally around 6,000. 106.7, my family's old station, broadcasts at 50,000 watts, but from such a low stick (about 400 feet, you can see it around Dundee and Hintz Rds), that signal doesn't carry too far beyond the northwest side, practically speaking. From a line of sight at ~1,500 feet downtown, it's a different story. 87.7 broadcasts from the top of the Hancock. 3,000 watts from 1,400 feet is respectable.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:08 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
Not fan of asshole radio.
I'm certainly not alone with that opinion.

People seem to like it over bad radio.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:16 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
http://web.archive.org/web/20131004090022/http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb005
87.7 hit 2.0 in July and August of 2013, 1.9 in June and September. It was the lone success of Merlin Media while they ran the Loop and WKQX's original frequency right into the ground.

By the way, wattage isn't the be-all-end-all of FM coverage. You'll find that lots of FM stations in Chicago broadcast at low wattage from the Sears and Hancock, generally around 6,000. 106.7, my family's old station, broadcasts at 50,000 watts, but from such a low stick (about 400 feet, you can see it around Dundee and Hintz Rds), that signal doesn't carry too far beyond the northwest side, practically speaking. From a line of sight at ~1,500 feet downtown, it's a different story. 87.7 broadcasts from the top of the Hancock. 3,000 watts from 1,400 feet is respectable.

Good stuff. You know who has a horseshit signal? AM1000. I drive a ton of miles in the midwest and WMVP is the first Chicago AM station I lose regardless of direction.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I was at about rt 59 and 126 yesterday and ESPN was getting a little fuzzy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:19 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
I was at about rt 59 and 126 yesterday and ESPN was getting a little fuzzy.

Yes, it's terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:20 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
You know who has a horseshit signal? AM1000. I drive a ton of miles in the midwest and WMVP is the first Chicago AM station I lose regardless of direction.

Sounds like an improvement compared to the normal content.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
it's only recently with the advent of Tune In, et al that I've ever been able to listen to the station. The signal is non existent out here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:22 pm 

Yeah, their signal drops off roughly west of Elgin. Pretty horseshit for a clear channel. There's a 1000 in Seattle they have to protect, but you'd think they could do better than this.

670 and 720 have the best AM signals in town.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, their signal drops off roughly west of Elgin. Pretty horseshit for a clear channel. There's a 1000 in Seattle they have to protect, but you'd think they could do better than this.

Which is unfortunate. Not much worth listening to.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:31 pm 

AM radio will be dead soon, if it's any consolation. I think we've hit the point where the negatives of the medium outweigh the positives. Even people who still listen to FM don't touch AM.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Curious Hair wrote:

BBM extends all the way to Cleveland, and up to Madison at least.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:34 pm 

I have heard 670 & 720 5 hours away in any direction in the evening.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I can catch 670 in Muskegon during daylight hours when we are visiting my in-laws.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
sjboyd0137 wrote:
I can catch 670 in Muskegon during daylight hours when we are visiting my in-laws.

Can you catch King of Queens up there on METV?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Mr. Reason wrote:
Yes it is. That means I don't have to listen to the Tubby and Giggles chucklefest after Mully and Handley end. ESPN for the win.

How do you not consider Mully and Hanley the original chucklefest? Mully laughs at every goddamn thing anyone says and follows it up with his infamous spit inhale. Hanley is a cheap carbon copy of Boers right down to the lame innuendos he makes.

Just curious, as you are a man of Reason.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
jimmypasta wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Can you catch King of Queens up there on METV?

No.

Nor would I. That show was terrible. And Kevin James fucks sheep.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next