It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kaplan to AM 1000
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Douchebag wrote:

Dan Bernstein wrote:
See you today at 1:00.

this bit gets more hilarious every time. :thumleft:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:10 am 

Reared on the Score wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Dan Bernstein wrote:
See you today at 1:00.

this bit gets more hilarious every time. :thumleft:

It's not a bit because we all know it's true.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
leashyourkids wrote:
Where did Kaplan come from? I remember hearing once that he used to write about high school football or something? How did he break onto the scene? Seems like a guy who just showed up at a gig somewhere and people were like "oh, I guess he's fine."

I think he coached and scouted college hoops. Coached at NIU for a while, even. I think he started at 1000, moved to 720, and then once you're there you never leave (until management changes and bankrupts the joint by hiring talk show hosts from Cincinnati and starting ill-conceived sports talk stations).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:21 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Where did Kaplan come from? I remember hearing once that he used to write about high school football or something? How did he break onto the scene? Seems like a guy who just showed up at a gig somewhere and people were like "oh, I guess he's fine."

I think he coached and scouted college hoops. Coached at NIU for a while, even. I think he started at 1000, moved to 720, and then once you're there you never leave (until management changes and bankrupts the joint by hiring talk show hosts from Cincinnati and starting ill-conceived sports talk stations).

I thought it was just high school sports that he perved on for years.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Thanks for making the lay-up, 15-year-old pal!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Someone needs to keep track of how many times he calls someone "Sparky." I can't. I make it to one, and then I PTFB.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Speedway
leashyourkids wrote:

I remember him doing high school basketball recruiting newsletters and then worked that into a radio gig.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Does anyone know who was on with Kap today (Monday)?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Finfer was when I was listening until 1.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I thought it sounded like Finfer, but something seemed a bit different in his voice. Oh well, must have been him. Thought it was a decent listen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

Has it been Finfer most of the time in the 6 shows or whatever they've done?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
Someone needs to keep track of how many times he calls someone "Sparky." I can't. I make it to one, and then I PTFB.

We need a running list off Kapisms.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Not a huge fan of this show. Is Kaplan kind of a dick?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
The show's not bad. Kap is always like that. In a way, he needs Waddle there. Waddle would keep him in check.

Waddle also needs Kap. He's never more alive than when he's going toe-to-toe w/ Kap. That's why the cross talk has been great. It's too bad I won't get a chance to regularly listen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Spaulding wrote:
Not a huge fan of this show. Is Kaplan kind of a dick?

Kap is a good dude. Has put in his time coaching, working his own media "Windy City Round Ball review"...one of the better guys.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:55 pm 

The content seems pretty good, fun sometimes. I feel like he name drops, or has a weird way of telling stories. Like a less important version of Wilbon or something. I have liked cross talk.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:57 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
The content seems pretty good, fun sometimes. I feel like he name drops, or has a weird way of telling stories. Like a less important version of Wilbon or something. I have liked cross talk.

Chicago thing.

Kap wrote:
I was talking to my buddy Mark Grace...

Wilbon wrote:
I was on the golf course w/ my buddy Charles Barkley...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:58 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

His job is to entertain and if he feels like D list celeb stories are the way to go...so be it...first met him when he was printing up the WINDY CITY ROUND BALL REVIEW and would be on with chet as a guest. he was friends with the girl who worked with me, so hung with him a few times. His seats are across the aisle from me at Wrigley, even though he rarely uses them...as he does the games, but his wife is there often...she is the Marketing director at Lou Malanatis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:00 pm 

bigfan wrote:

His job is to entertain and if he feels like D list celeb stories are the way to go...so be it...first met him when he was printing up the WINDY CITY ROUND BALL REVIEW and would be on with chet as a guest. he was friends with the girl who worked with me, so hung with him a few times. His seats are across the aisle from me at Wrigley, even though he rarely uses them...as he does the games, but his wife is there often...she is the Marketing director at Lou Malanatis

So when he uses the long time fan season ticket holder speil etc it's bullshit and he's a goof.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:06 pm 

Almost worked for Kaplan for a summer. he had a basketball camp! Instead I ended up at the YMCA in Northbrook because some girl I met at Barnabys was working there....and well, you can figure out the rest....anyways....should have gone to 2nd interview with Kap!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
he's always been a 'GN guy. on with Swirsk a lot. Bob Sakamoto was Chet's high school go-to guy as I recall.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:13 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
bigfan wrote:

So when he uses the long time fan season ticket holder speil etc it's bullshit and he's a goof.

He goes, but sits in the press box.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:18 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
bigfan wrote:

No, he has tickets....but he does the pre and post studio show with Holly...so?], he gets to go when its a national game...

I understand why someone might think the little bald jewish guy, who drops nicknames on everyone (Sparky, Big Fella, Rockstar) and drive his purple vette around town with the top down might be a jerk, but he isnt.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:41 pm 

besides the nickname thing, kaplan has a nice professional demeanor and doesn't sound smarmy like giangreco. he and finfer sound pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
W_Z wrote:
besides the nickname thing, kaplan has a nice professional demeanor and doesn't sound smarmy like giangreco. he and finfer sound pretty good.

I don't agree with everything Kaplan says, but compared to the alternative he's relatively likable.

Giangreco has been a sportscaster for decades but has never struck me as someone who knows anything about sports. Whenever I hear him on Silvy & Waddle he sounds reactionary and uninformed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Scorehead wrote:
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:

We need a running list off Kapisms.

No Question.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:40 pm 

bigfan wrote:

No, he has tickets....but he does the pre and post studio show with Holly...so?], he gets to go when its a national game...

I understand why someone might think the little bald jewish guy, who drops nicknames on everyone (Sparky, Big Fella, Rockstar) and drive his purple vette around town with the top down might be a jerk, but he isnt.

I'll try to listen but can't promise you anything. I usually take your word but don't know on this one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:24 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:

Giangreco has been a sportscaster for decades but has never struck me as someone who knows anything about sports. Whenever I hear him on Silvy & Waddle he sounds reactionary and uninformed.

His strength is hockey. The other stuff seems kinda passive, especially basketball. Everyone is an "expert" on football.

I think he's kind of entertaining, though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:28 pm 

I like him. I find him entertaining and genuine. I don't think he is smarmy at all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:24 am 

out of all the local sports media people in this town over the past 20+ years, Giangreco is the one who has life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next