It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:11 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
i had whitesox pregame on in the background and i think it was in a commercial then all of a sudden BLAM! no nothing and just little fizzles of static here and there, but it's been something like 4-5mins of dead air from the score over the air.

is anyone else (not) getting this? i'm trying to load up tunein / web-feed to see if anything comes up, but since it's now officially white sox baseball i'm not expecting anything... yeah CBS sports radio.

so did the score transmitter atop some skyscraper get hit by lightning and knocked off the air? you figure if this was a problem with getting the feed from cleveland they'd at least be running commercials ad nauseum, but this is total silence for now over 5+ mins.... hrmmmm.

wheres beardown when you need him?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
AM signals travel along the Earth's surface, not by line of sight, so they wouldn't be on skyscrapers. I think the big AM stations in town have their sticks in the western burbs. WGN's is right off the Eisenhower around Wood Dale or Itasca.

But I'm in an airport so to answer your question I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:30 pm 

welp it's back.... so all in all it was ~15-20mins of dead air. i guess in the big picture it's a cosmic nothing so this thread will just trickle down to page 2 and then the infinite abyss of the land of the restored search function..... but hey i figured maybe other ppl had the score on in the bg and i didnt know if it was a score issue or a sini issue..... i guess whatever it was got fixed pretty quick, cuz while i remember the signal going out for a minute or two a few times over the years (or terry magically disappearing for 30-60mins during bigtime thunderstorms) in all my years of listening to the score i've never heard ~15-20mins of dead air like i just did.

PAGING CURIOUS HAIR..... was this probably lightning striking their main antenna or something? what can cause a bigtime 50kw station to "broadcast" 15-20mins of dead air like this? i wish it was during the normal programming day so i could have seen if they were still putting something out on the web (as they surely would have addressed whatever issue/s they were having) but alas it was officially whitesox baseball when it went out, so the tunein/web feed was on national CBS sports radio so that was pumping out just fine as i listned to some guy in san antonio do his thing.... c'est la vie!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:31 pm 

lol in the midst of writing a post where i shined the CHsignal go figure that CH actually showed up..... i figured this thread/topic would be right up your alley! c'est la vie.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
it went out for a few minutes earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Curious Hair wrote:
AM signals travel along the Earth's surface, not by line of sight, so they wouldn't be on skyscrapers. I think the big AM stations in town have their sticks in the western burbs. WGN's is right off the Eisenhower around Wood Dale or Itasca.

Its on Army Trail Road in either Addison or Glendale Heights, I believe. Possibly Bloomingdale.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:33 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
what can cause a bigtime 50kw station to "broadcast" 15-20mins of dead air like this?

Lightning strike, satellite malfunction, WSCR employees

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:39 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

yeah IIRC WGN has a big antenna right along route 53 between biesterfield and golf. it's right there on martingale rd (running parallel/alongside that stretch of 53) when you head from biesterfield back towards schaumburg rd. i always thought there was another big antenna somewhere in the industrial park area, but maybe it was that WGN transmitter on martingale that i was thinking of.

i know that when you drive right by that giant antenna/transmitter/whatever you'll get some bleedover of WGN onto nearby frequencies, sometimes even as low as 670 (tho only when you're right next to the thing and the signal is overpowering) and it was one of those WHOA COOL! things you messed with when you were a kid..... but file this under random meaningless trivia of the hour.

so uhhh yeah wherever the score's main transmitter is i'm assuming it got struck by lightning or something having to do with severe thunderstorms blasting throught the area (IIRC, about an hour ago i saw tornado warnings on the news as there were tornado-spouting-storms tearing through heading E/NE up into the city from the south/southwest so maybe the score's transmitter is due south and somewhere in the S/SW burbs? it'd make sense cuz while the storms looked like they were on a trajectory to hit downtown chi eventually (and we eventually got a min or two of pretty hard rain up here in the skokie/evanston corridor) i'm thinking the brunt of the heavy shit was S/SW of here and if we have a string of storms KNOWN to be creating tornados, there's little doubt it was powerful enough to fuck some shit up if it came across 670's main transmitter. and it had to be something pretty !!!! to give us 15-20mins of dead air, cuz i've never heard that b4 in all my years of listening to the score!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:41 pm 

again i stress that i THINK the big antenna/transmitter on martingale rd is WGN.... maybe it's 780 WBBM? but it's one of those two for sure as i remember the bleedover stuff being in the 700range. maybe this is why god invented google

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:48 pm 

WGN and WBBM are only a couple miles apart, it turns out. 720 is off Martingale, then 780 is closer to Devon about a mile south. Most FM stations are on the Sears or Hancock.

While we're playing antenna trivia, the transmitter shack for 1000 still says WCFL on it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Hopefully whatever happened cured the shitty sound quality that station has had the last couple of days. Sounded like the old school AM radio that wasn't quite dialed in on the station you were listening to.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:32 pm 

yeap, here's someone who uploaded a youtube video of them pulling over and recording footage of the transmitter's sign "right along 290/53 on the frontage rd" ---- presumably to help the terrorists/chinese/russians/koreans/whoever win if they invade america and want to take out our ability to communicate with 50kw radio stations welp now they know where to go thanks to this handy video on youtube!

i remember one time i was waiting for the purple line and i took a picture of the train pulling into davis station.... the conductor freaked out and made me SWEAR that i was deleting the picture because you can't take pictures of L trains like that due to safety/terrorism concerns. here i thought i was taking a super-stereotypical chicago picture (how many times have you seen a chicago L train as a veritable symbol of chicago as a page background or something?) and instead i was evidently hearkening threats to public-trans security by offering up the possibility that i was in league with terrorists taking pictures of pubtrans infastructure so i could pass it off to my jihadist buddies and now they know where/how to attack to cripple chicago public transportation.

suffice to say, i kept the picture like the badass little wannabe-punkrocker/anarchist aka anti-authoritarian malcontent that i am!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:36 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
WGN and WBBM are only a couple miles apart, it turns out. 720 is off Martingale, then 780 is closer to Devon about a mile south. Most FM stations are on the Sears or Hancock.

While we're playing antenna trivia, the transmitter shack for 1000 still says WCFL on it.

aha! that's right there IS another one on devon and that one is WBBM/780.... see i knew there was one right around the industrial park and i remember WBBM bleedovers too now that i think about it, and it'd make sense that there's one right there along devon..... i wanna say it too is right by 53/290 and it's nestled right in there on the east side of devon right by those commercial/industrial buildings across from the residential sub-division? or wait... it's right after you go over the highway and across from the strip mall where they've got that one sportsbar (realtime sports?) and the billiards place and the banks.... then there's another strip mall across the little access st with dunkin donuts and a cpl other places, and that side-street is like a near-C shape that goes from devon to rohlwing, with all of the charlela-lane apartments back there (you know, the apartments famous for being the place where chris farley supposedly got his coke on the night he died and all of that)

but yeah that makes sense.... see i vaguely remembred all of this stuff but i hadnt had a reason to specifically recall any of this info until now, but i'm 90%+ sure that the transmitter is right there in the open area between devon/53/rohlwing rd. i hope there aren't any terrorists reading this post!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:40 pm 

Elk Grove Village might be the most placeless place in Illinois. I don't know where anything is in relation to anything. It just goes, it just is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:07 pm 
BBM is the one off Devon by Real Time Sports. GN is the one just past Schaumburg Road on Rohwling. SCR is at Army Trail just east of Bloomingdale Road. That's technically Glendale Heights in that stretch. When I lived over there I used to tell how shitty the weather was by how bad the 670 signal got.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:38 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Elk Grove Village might be the most placeless place in Illinois. I don't know where anything is in relation to anything. It just goes, it just is.

welp, from growing up there and spending my formative years there i can tell you how i always saw it:

first of all, the big divider was 53. anything on the schaumburg side of 53 was "elk grove in name only" because when you grew up nestled in the veritable armpit of THE INDUSTRIAL PARK (aka the reason that the CENTEX corp, the people who brought you dallas/fort-worth, created the town.... you know, so you could have all this industrial stuff right there and then there's a little modern-for-the-50s/60s suburb right there where ppl who worked in the industrial park could get an affordably-priced entry into the american dream)

AHEM. basically i'd say "traditional elk grove" is bordered by...

--------------------------53--------------------------
devon higgins
----------------elmhurst rd--------------------------

and i think that counts most of the industrial park over towards elmhurst rd, cuz for residential areas it pretty much ends around tonne or lively (cuz tonne ends at landmeier and then over by oakton residential stuff goes back towards lively, but by the time you get to lively it's all commercial stuff until you get to either busse/higgins, altho on the uhhh... south? side of higgins it technically goes back to elmhurst road. yeah.

that area there had 4 elementary schools that fed 1 junior high that fed elk grove high school, along with some imports/excess from des plaines (no dobut deemed unfit for maine east) that was bordered by like marshall from golf to oakton heading back towards elk grove -- you know, inuch the same way elk grove (in name only) kids on the schaumburg side of 53 would end up going to conant high schookl to become proto-schaumburgians, and our #1 rival over @ elk grove high school. by and large i think they kicked our asses at most everything cuz they dont call schaumburg "the mecca" for nothing. prolly a higher average property value and thus a higher class of ppl compared to our modest 50s/60s suburbia v1.0 centex corp dream homes, as i think a lot of other-side-of-53 elk grove was built up in the 70s/80s/90s.... i mean it always felt "newer" on the other side of 53 like those residential sub-districts were all built up in at least the 80s or something cuz it felt "new" and suburbs v2.0 or v2.5 by the time i'd discover it in the 90s. plus that side of 53 got the wal-mart and a lot of new stuff getting built up cuz there was just more space over there.

but yeah, basically the other side of 53 is wannabe-schaumburg IMO.

in terms of elk grove landmarks, arlington heights rd and biestrfield is basically the center of elk grove. "downtown" elk grove if you will.... and i'd say that arlington heights rd and biesterfield are like a perpendicular cross right through the heart of elk grove with their intersection being the center. that's where you've got your main supermarket, movie theatres, mcdonalds and burger king (for a long time anyways) and eventually library/pavilion (gym/civic center/etc) and the kids' theme park is there and erc. on the other end going up biesterfield i think once you cross meachem you're out of elk grove technically (altho there's that free playground/waterpark hybrid just across meachem that i think is an elk grove joint?), and from arl hts road once you cross devon you're out of elk grove, and then the other direction once you cross higgins you're out of elk grove (unless the industrial area between higgins/90 is elk grove, cuz i know the other side of 90 is definitely arlington heights)

so yeah i'd say that arl hts and biesterfield is the center of the elk grove universe.... and then the bowling alley @ arl hts rd / higgins is the only real landmark unless you wanna start pointing out stuff right along other borders like the motel 6 @ oakton/higgins and busse? or real time sports @ devon / rohlwing? or uhhhhh i guess pete's-a-pie/FATT MUSTARD(nee cuz's cafe) @ tonne/devon?

but yeah pretty much it's just downtown elk grove and the bowling alley. if you're on the schaumburg side of 53 going down biesterfield or nerge from meachem it feels more like schaumburg since it's all suburbs v2.0 (late70s/80s/90s developments) to our traditional elk grove suburbs v1.0 (50s/60s aka "sprang up with the interstates/highways/industrial-park) so i cant say there's any elk grove landmarks over there, unless you wanna count that one free playground/waterpark hybrid as an elk grove landmark.

and given all the banality i just typed out in an attempt to educate you about the layout of elk grove village (THE exceptional community!) and its "landmarks" ----- yeah, shit, that free playground/waterpark hybrid might as well be one, eh?

welp this certainly isn't my first pointless post here and lamentably i doubt it'll be my last so c'est la fucking vie, no?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Telegram Sam wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Its on Army Trail Road in either Addison or Glendale Heights, I believe. Possibly Bloomingdale.

Just east of the Starbucks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Just west of that industrial building!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:01 am 

I think I read something about that parcel of land by the WGN transmitter being an option for relocating the Cubs when the Tribune owned the team. That may not have been a reliable source. It also would have been a terrible ballpark location.