It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:15 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
It's funny to see her Twitter army congratulate her on doing such angreat job of just reporting the facts in this case.

Like funny Ha-Ha?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:43 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
She had done some professional blogging for a while, so it wasn't as if she popped up out of nowhere. Also, I thought her initial piece on Kane was very good. Of course, it immediately established her as partisan to anyone with the reasoning abilities of a third-grader, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't have written it or shouldn't have talked about the case, just that she miscast herself as a journalist and shouldn't have rolled in the muck with anonymous trolls.

Yeah, it was a fine opinion piece, but then she wanted to be the lead reporter providing all the breaking news on the story and each time there was a new development she clearly slanted it in a way that was biased against Kane. She came very close to accusing Kane (or his people, if you really think there's any difference) of tampering with the evidence.

Her initial revelation and job history identified her as an advocate rather than a reporter. It is fine and helpful if an advocate wants to provide perspective on facts uncovered by others. The credibility of the facts are called into question when uncovered by an advocate. We have entire "news stations" whose credibility is dubious because of their stated bias.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Curious Hair wrote:
She had done some professional blogging for a while, so it wasn't as if she popped up out of nowhere. Also, I thought her initial piece on Kane was very good. Of course, it immediately established her as partisan to anyone with the reasoning abilities of a third-grader, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't have written it or shouldn't have talked about the case, just that she miscast herself as a journalist and shouldn't have rolled in the muck with anonymous trolls.

Meh. At least on the Score website pieces, I didn't find anything original or even remotely interesting. They are basically summations of the applicable conventional wisdom. Even the women are being victimized by the mere existence of sports pieces--about half of them--are boring and unoriginal. Which means that she'll fit right in. Writing is tough these days anyways.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
DannyB wrote:
Writing is tough these days anyways.

Not if you fall in line. We're in a golden age of demanding the Washington Redskins change their name. Apparently there's always a market for that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:27 pm 

Yeah that's kind of what I mean. The media echo chamber is so expansive that everything that could possibly be said about an issue is said by noon the day after it arises. There is more pre & post for a late September Sox game than there was for Super Bowl XI.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
W_Z wrote:

going back to what JORR said perfectly earlier, some of these women want it both ways. they want to be seen as these strong "womyn", and then at the same time, they want to be able to cower in the corner like a fragile little lamb when they feel threatened. i remember jemele being on M&M with, i believe michael smith, filling in...and i normally like jemele and her opinions. but they were talking about dating, and she literally said something to the effect of: "guys, just because we want to be seen as equals and treated as such, that doesn't mean we don't like it when you pick up the check and open doors for us and pull out the chair for us. chivalry isn't dead." how is that...being equal? i mean if you want to be doted upon, fine. but that's usually why guys don't think of them as "equal", because they're doting on you. i think she had said she's picked up a check before, but also said that can be a dealbreaker. could you confuse guys a little more?

It's more difficult than you think. Men and women are different but both have value. Most people judge you individually when it comes down to it. It is hard to navigate a male dominated place, I don't know if any of you have tried to find your way in a female dominated place. Some can do it. Some bumble through, some get the attention of the ladies, some don't do well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:42 pm 

I took a Women's Studies class in college. Got an A. It was cathartic.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:50 pm 

What would that class be about?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:58 pm 

It was a literature class with a focus on women's diaries and travel narratives, as I recall. But mostly it was group therapy. Lots of self-revelation.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Were any of the travel narratives about spring break in Cancun?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:17 pm 

Mustache Rides Aren't Free: The Plastic Yard Go-Glass as Metaphor for the Female Form. It was a feminist study of Spring Break Rape Culture.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I was in Richmond Virginia for a re-org meeting & one of our Product Managers, who is a big Sabres & Kane fan says "Did you hear about the female Chicago reporter who received death threats on Twitter?" So I had to explain it to him.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Scorehead on Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:43 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Scorehead wrote:
I was in Richmond Virginia for a re-org meeting & one of our Product Managers, who is a big Sabres & Kane fan says "Did you hear about the female reporter who received death threats on Twitter?"

i hope you at least mentioned that the threat/s seemingly came at a time when she was retweeting the best hate she got, so she was essentially encouraging her haters to step their game up so their awful awful words could get "signal boosted" by her.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:43 pm 

Really? That's embarrassing. What did you say?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
sinicalypse wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
I was in Richmond Virginia for a re-org meeting & one of our Product Managers, who is a big Sabres & Kane fan says "Did you hear about the female reporter who received death threats on Twitter?"

i hope you at least mentioned that the threat/s seemingly came at a time when she was retweeting the best hate she got, so she was essentially encouraging her haters to step their game up so their awful awful words could get "signal boosted" by her.

Sure. Thats exactly what I said. Word for word.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:25 am 

Spaulding wrote:
It's more difficult than you think. Men and women are different but both have value. Most people judge you individually when it comes down to it. It is hard to navigate a male dominated place, I don't know if any of you have tried to find your way in a female dominated place. Some can do it. Some bumble through, some get the attention of the ladies, some don't do well.

i grew up in a household with 2 sisters. and i worked in an office that was predominantly women for years. my precise issue with what jamele was doing was talking out of both sides of her mouth, which doesn't help anybody. guys have enough problems trying to figure women out; when advice given is confusing, it just makes things harder for them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:39 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
W_Z wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

i grew up in a household with 2 sisters. and i worked in an office that was predominantly women for years. my precise issue with what jamele was doing was talking out of both sides of her mouth, which doesn't help anybody. guys have enough problems trying to figure women out; when advice given is confusing, it just makes things harder for them.

A lot of this stuff is really just a rallying cry to join a "team". I have friends that say shit like, "Women do x". Maybe some do, Maybe even most do. I ran a successful business based on what women were likely to do and how their men were likely to react to it. But everyone is an individual. I don't see myself at war with women. In fact, I think the whole concept of some kind of battle between the sexes is ridiculous. And I don't like to be dismissed with, "Well, that's because you're a man".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Read the RAPE article last night and I am sorry, thats a weird thing to do. I dont think that served any purpose other than promoting her name as someone who was raped.

Its like Julie has used being a rape victim as her springboard at this point, which I find really ugly.

Doesnt matter where it was, who it was with, who she on vacation with etc! She really lost a focus on it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:00 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

A lot of this stuff is really just a rallying cry to join a "team". I have friends that say shit like, "Women do x". Maybe some do, Maybe even most do. I ran a successful business based on what women were likely to do and how their men were likely to react to it. But everyone is an individual. I don't see myself at war with women. In fact, I think the whole concept of some kind of battle between the sexes is ridiculous. And I don't like to be dismissed with, "Well, that's because you're a man".

just in general i'm tired of everything being whittled down to a buzz word like "mansplaining" or something like that, too. it's the same thing, really. i'd like to think people aren't that simple, it's just the easy way out. the only advice i'd give either a man or a woman is to listen to each other. and while that sounds "simple", it certainly eludes a lot of the human population.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:05 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
DannyB wrote:

Took Wine Tasting, got an A, still dont know shit about WINE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:28 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
bigfan wrote:
DannyB wrote:

:lol: There does seem to be a bit of an "Emperor's New Clothes" vibe when most people talk about wine. You just have to drink what you like. If that's Cameron Hughes, so be it.

A friend of mine is the wine maker for a small boutique vintner in California. This guy knows more about wine and the technical aspects of making it than anyone I've ever met. I was out at his place a couple weeks ago. You should have heard the conversation between him and the sommelier when we went out to dinner. It was like listening to two doctors discuss brain surgery. We ended up drinking a bottle of 1985 Groth. Fucking awesome. My friend didn't think it was at its peak yet.

The guy that owns the winery where my friend works is just a guy like me who enjoys drinking it. The cork in their wine says "Trust Your Palate". He told us a story about when my friend first started making his wine. My friend had gone through his process over months, tasting various combinations from different barrels, different percentages of what he calls "filler grapes" added to the Cab, and he narrowed it down to four samples. He had the owner and his wife come into the tasting room to try the samples. They both liked Sample #3. So my friend says, "Well, this is your winery and your name is going on the bottle. If you think #3 is the one, that's the wine we're gonna make." The next year he goes through the same process, brings the owners back into the tasting room. They both like Sample #2. My friend says, "That's an excellent choice, but the wine we are going to make is Sample #4." The owner looks at him and says, "Wait a minute, last year you brought me down here, I made my selection, and you told me it was up to me, and that we were gonna make the wine I picked." My friend smiled and said, "No, last year you just happened to pick the wine I was gonna make."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:33 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:35 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
bigfan wrote:
DannyB wrote:

:lol: There does seem to be a bit of an "Emperor's New Clothes" vibe when most people talk about wine. You just have to drink what you like. If that's Cameron Hughes, so be it.

A friend of mine is the wine maker for a small boutique vintner in California. This guy knows more about wine and the technical aspects of making it than anyone I've ever met. I was out at his place a couple weeks ago. You should have heard the conversation between him and the sommelier when we went out to dinner. It was like listening to two doctors discuss brain surgery. We ended up drinking a bottle of 1985 Groth. Fucking awesome. My friend didn't think it was at its peak yet.

The guy that owns the winery where my friend works is just a guy like me who enjoys drinking it. The cork in their wine says "Trust Your Palate". He told us a story about when my friend first started making his wine. My friend had gone through his process over months, tasting various combinations from different barrels, different percentages of what he calls "filler grapes" added to the Cab, and he narrowed it down to four samples. He had the owner and his wife come into the tasting room to try the samples. They both liked Sample #3. So my friend says, "Well, this is your winery and your name is going on the bottle. If you think #3 is the one, that's the wine we're gonna make." The next year he goes through the same process, brings the owners back into the tasting room. They both like Sample #2. My friend says, "That's an excellent choice, but the wine we are going to make is Sample #4." The owner looks at him and says, "Wait a minute, last year you brought me down here, I made my selection, and you told me it was up to me, and that we were gonna make the wine I picked." My friend smiled and said, "No, last year you just happened to pick the wine I was gonna make."

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:46 am 

bigfan wrote:
DannyB wrote:

even after all these years of getting pm on this board?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:49 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
bigfan wrote:
DannyB wrote:

:lol: There does seem to be a bit of an "Emperor's New Clothes" vibe when most people talk about wine. You just have to drink what you like. If that's Cameron Hughes, so be it. ."

The same thing has happened to just about every food product. We have donut snobs, for fucks sake.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6