It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
With all the idiotic decisions top brass has made at WGN Radio, losing the Cubs this past season has got to sting most of all.

So, Jimmy D... Still think you would have lost money broadcasting Cubs games? Who ya crappin'?!?

You freed up money to make Steve Cochran rich and save Roe Conn's failing career among many other of your friends you invited back to sit at the cool kid's lunch table while driving real talent out the door. (Garry Meier).

Fact is, if you didn't have the Blackhawks, you would be one step away from WIND.

WBBM & The Score better send you a nice glittery, calligraphy embossed Christmas card this year.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:54 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
is it common knowledge that the cubs wanted WGN but WGN said no?

i mean, yeah tradition and all that but i gotta think there's some advantage to being on a sports talk station that's talking about your product all day long for most of the next 5-10/infinity years as long as you're the prohibitive favorites to rule the universe and all.

honestly i wouldn't be surprised if even the blackhawks go in the future cuz they prolly wanna cater to a demographic who is like "oh fuck, sports are on" as opposed to people who tune in for sports and tune out b4 milt rosenburg puts them to sleep and possibly leads to road fatailities.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
People get old everyday.

As long as the elderly exist, WGN will somehow continue to thrive.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Jimmy D...Top Dawg media Exec....not showing is stuff...

Without knowing every move the guy ever made, I believe he was GM of the LOOP during the HEyDay and he ahs parlayed that into many different high paying jobs. I remember when he got AOl Sports to pay him tons of cash as well. I think then WMAQ paid him? Then WGN?

Since 1989 I think his Losses for outnumber his wins....but could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Speedway
WGN are idiots. Anyone with a brain knew the Cubs would get competitive soon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:05 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
is it common knowledge that the cubs wanted WGN but WGN said no?

i mean, yeah tradition and all that but i gotta think there's some advantage to being on a sports talk station that's talking about your product all day long for most of the next 5-10/infinity years as long as you're the prohibitive favorites to rule the universe and all.

honestly i wouldn't be surprised if even the blackhawks go in the future cuz they prolly wanna cater to a demographic who is like "oh fuck, sports are on" as opposed to people who tune in for sports and tune out b4 milt rosenburg puts them to sleep and possibly leads to road fatailities.

The cubs arent on THE SCORE, they are just on the sister station and the Sox are leaving....which normally I would frees the talking heads up to talk freely...but not sure there is much more to chop down....which is still amazing that you had such a terrible relationship with the sports talk station that is your flagship....I mean, how did you fuck that up so bad?

Love that you almost mock the "Sports is on " crowd, as thats the crowd everyone wants. Every team has its core fans, but the goal is to be the talk of mainstream.

Ever seen the vast number of NFL Womens gear commercials on Sunday....I would guess 90% of them cant name 10 players in the NFL, but they spend the money...and in case you havent noticed yet, it helps to have money.

Yes, WGN would be the prefferred station, but they arent getting the home town discount.

The Cubs are in a complete transformation. Not just the players, the demographics, the business, etc. They want a younger crowd. They want WBBM to be the next WGN, partially due to them.

#CHANGE its here.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Aren't the Cubs going to be broadcast on 670 next season?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:17 pm 

Godfella wrote:

Yes, was talking about now...they are making this change....and please dont remind me that Dan Bernstein will be a cheerleader for my team!

trying to stop thinking about

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:18 pm 

bernstein promoting my team....Ugghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:19 pm 

Did they also say they would simulcast on 105.9? Just the games?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:20 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Love that you almost mock the "Sports is on " crowd, as thats the crowd everyone wants. Every team has its core fans, but the goal is to be the talk of mainstream.

not mocking them at all, saying that maybe WGN decided to (literally?) get into bed with the antithesis of your ppl, the people who turn on WGN for "radio for the living dead" (thx terry/KMOX) and go "oh fucking hell sports are on" and they've decided that they cant compete in your #CHANGE marketplace when most of their demographic for a long time has been people circling the drain of life not too different from dante's inferno/divine-comedy/etc.... the rings of hell, you know?

maybe they wanna be thoughtful middle-aged-to-grandparent radio and wanna hold on to that demographic til their radios are pried from charlton heston's cold dead hands? not the best long term strategy per say but hey ride it out if it works, right? i heard a car honk in the distance as i typed that last sentence so i can only assume that god is telling me i'm right on this one =D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:25 pm 

Just dont think they give a shit about anyone voer 50. If they want to come along for the ride...get on...if not....tough shit....welcome to EDM night!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:27 pm 

If you are over 50, you dont buy tons of beers, the shit food, the jerseys, more junk for your kids. You dont bring your GF and her friends, you dont visit the club before the game. You complain about the bathrooms and the loud music.

Its just what it is.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
sinicalypse wrote:

WGN fired Milt Rosenberg about three years ago, a move almost as dumb as walking away from the Cubs.

I have a feeling the Hawks are happy on WGN. Those booming news/talk AM stations have prestige that most sports stations don't: WGN, WTMJ, KMOX, WLW, KDKA, to name a few. The Cardinals moved from KMOX to a team-owned sports talker (mostly because CBS bean-counters wanted to unload baseball, except in New York) and it was a miserable failure because people think KMOX = Cardinals and also KMOX's signal covers half the damn country whereas KTRS barely made it to Alton. It really helps mainstream perception to have the team on a "mainstream" station rather than sports talk, which is still perceived by the masses as kind of a cesspool.

As for the Hawks, WGN promotes the hell out of the team, the signal coverage is second to none, and they draw an audience to evenings that wouldn't be there otherwise. Where would they go? 1000, where no one in the exurbs of Kane County can hear the games? The Score, the one media outlet that's been shitting all over the team every step of the way? I would imagine that both parties want to keep the partnership going. Of course, it's possible that 720 gets sold and flipped to all-sports.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
bigfan wrote:
Godfella wrote:

Yes, was talking about now...they are making this change....and please dont remind me that Dan Bernstein will be a cheerleader for my team!

trying to stop thinking about

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
He already is.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:34 pm 

When others talked about a Score revival, I have said someone will be wrapping themselves in Cubbie Blue ratings.

As long as he doesnt get tickets close to me, I am fine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:36 pm 

bigfan wrote:
welcome to EDM night!

you know biggie i remember being at some "rave in name only" (back when they were $25-35 rotating club nights between the harvey and dolton expo centers) in the late 90s and at one of them i had dropped some decent acid and i was bored shitless by the kind of music that would later be called EDM... i was sitting on the floor wishing they played something that made me wanna move but alas they didnt as far as i could tell so there i sat in drug-heightened existentialism just kind of..... there, you know?

so eventually had to piss or something and what do i hear coming out from around the corner but something off of squarepusher's burningn'n tree. and then after the song i wanna hear what the dj does next, but it's just the actual 2x12" playing in order as someone left it n in one of the side rooms

yeah, thats where i realized bastards like me might have a little place in the world, even if its the third room at a drugged out rave with a grand total of 3-7 people in there rinsing off the filth of the future-EDM in our quasi-elitist craptitude. and maybe that's what WGN is doing here.... dropping acid at the rave of life and deciding to sit on the floor?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:38 pm 

WGN is doing a ground-up fentanyl lollipop they found in the dumpster behind WLS.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:45 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
WGN is doing a ground-up fentanyl lollipop they found in the dumpster behind WLS.

fentanyl? oh man i remember that shit when it made the rounds at garfield park or one of those west/south-side parks when it was getting added to the heroin being sold around there and since that shit dont fuck around ppl were going home to the suburbs and dying after shooting it up. that might or might not have set up the one time i had to grab shit in front of a channel 5 news van that i love to tell people had carol marin in it.

but yeah that fentanyl bugaboo led to one of the funnier remarks in my life in "the life" --- "overdose blows? WHERE?!?!?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:47 pm 

Funny how its the biggest promotion the White Sox do and the Cubs dont even entertain the thought....they know its like a candy bar on the ground pulling ants from everywhere.

Sini, if you get to a bleacher game, you will see the NEW Cub Club thing.

Not even joking, that I expect bottle service in some areas next year!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:53 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Funny how its the biggest promotion the White Sox do and the Cubs dont even entertain the thought....they know its like a candy bar on the ground pulling ants from everywhere.

Sini, if you get to a bleacher game, you will see the NEW Cub Club thing.

Not even joking, that I expect bottle service in some areas next year!

only time i've sat in the wrigley bleachers was this one daygame where the night b4 i had dropped my cellphone in a cab downtown so i called it the next day and the cabbie answered and said come on out and get it. there was a cubs/brewers game at wrigley so knowing i was going to be on the redline during get-to-the-ballpark-time i expos'd up in a expos hat/jersey just to get the flak from dumbass cubs fans and talk shit to them (tho the most fun you can have with that is when the natinals come to town and you hang arouind wrigleyville in expos gear heckling nats fans re: ZOMBIE BASEBALL!!!!) and as i was doing my thing some brewers fans took a liking to me and were like "where are you sitting?" and i explained the cellphone shit, so they tossed me their extra bleacher ticket and said find them and beer is on them.

i didnt find them, but i got to take the cabbie from downtown to wrigley and tip him $20 for giving me my phone back, and then i got to sit in the bleachers for free. otherwise i'd never spend $$$ to sit in the bleachers cuz quite frankly it's stupid and a waste.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:56 pm 

In my experiences, Brewers fans are either really cool, down-to-earth people or everything you hate about Naperville scum but worse.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
bigfan wrote:
bernstein promoting my team....Ugghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

He's your guy now!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:59 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Matches Malone wrote:
People get old everyday.

Damn straight!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:01 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
bigfan wrote:

He's your guy now!

I thought we split the BP cup 3-3 this year? So he stays your guy!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
bigfan wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
bigfan wrote:

He's your guy now!

I thought we split the BP cup 3-3 this year? So he stays your guy!

Dammit...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:36 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
People get old everyday.

I'm always surprised when a friend tells me he listens to GN. I've listened and the station feels old even when a young person is hosting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:44 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
In my experiences, Brewers fans are either really cool, down-to-earth people or everything you hate about Naperville scum but worse.

shots fired at leash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
good dolphin wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

shots fired at leash

It's not even worth responding to.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:07 pm 

I didn't think Leash was a Brewers fan nor Naperville scum. I like him a lot.

It's the Brookfield/West Allis/Wauwatosa bloc that produces all the horrible chads, I believe.