It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tip of the Kap
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Reared on the Score wrote:
Kap has some abominable opinions, but in these Cubdom times we live in I could understand tuning in to him versus Giggles and Jiggles.

He's a HUGE fan of Bob Knight, isn't he? When he and Waddle were on SportsCentral on WGN years ago I think I remember Kaplan being over-the-top with his praise of Knight but railing on other players/coaches who he thought were "bad guys."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
leashyourkids wrote:
Is Kap sort of an ass kisser? Yes. Is he a meatball homer? Yes... but he actually discusses sports, knows how to conduct an interview, and can facilitate a conversation (on Comcast, at least). He's fine by me. It's amazing how low the bar has been set, but it is what it is.

I feel like the whole notion of "smart" sports radio has run its course and ultimately failed. If there was a meatball jock sniffer with just a touch of Tarantionoesque meta-circular-self-reference I would listen. It's only sports.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
Ditka said that the blown call in the Lions-Seahawks game is a "tragedy."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
WindyCityBreeze wrote:
Ditka said that the blown call in the Lions-Seahawks game is a "tragedy."

Da Coach wrote:
He's a whacko.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lugi's of Hong Kong
I agree with most of the thoughts already mentioned.

This is more of a negative statement about the ugly transformation Chicago sports radio has taken under the horrible rule of Dan "the Score King" Bernstein.

It's bad enough that the minions at WSCR are scared to death of him and feel the need to use a Bernstein filter on everything they say and do but what makes it worse is the fact that his competition doesn't jump all over that and promote the fact they aren't that way. I would recommend direct attacks by name on that horrible little jerk ala Howard Stern or old school Steve and Gary.

Having said all that I put Kap near the top of the list with (never thought I would say this) Silvy for being decent humans who can love their teams, use the term "we" when describing them and not turn every topic into a theoretical liberal social justice warrior phony bit.

Note: The term theoretical liberal is not a shot at being a liberal. It's a person whom has views like Bernstein expresses but lives their life in a much different manner.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:16 am 

8675309 wrote:

This is more of a negative statement about the ugly transformation Chicago sports radio has taken under the horrible rule of Dan "the Score King" Bernstein.

It's bad enough that the minions at WSCR are scared to death of him and feel the need to use a Bernstein filter on everything they say and do but what makes it worse is the fact that his competition doesn't jump all over that and promote the fact they aren't that way. I would recommend direct attacks by name on that horrible little jerk ala Howard Stern or old school Steve and Gary.

Having said all that I put Kap near the top of the list with (never thought I would say this) Silvy for being decent humans who can love their teams, use the term "we" when describing them and not turn every topic into a theoretical liberal social justice warrior phony bit.

Note: The term theoretical liberal is not a shot at being a liberal. It's a person whom has views like Bernstein expresses but lives their life in a much different manner.

87.1 was a lost opportunity to change the complexion of sports radio in this town. ESPN doesn't have the will to really compete with local sports radio. So here we sit and will continue to sit for the better part of the next 20 years (or until we can get some local sports radio podcast other than Spada).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:16 am 

8675309 wrote:

The commercials for 87.7 The Game said "We don't yell and scream..." or something like that but didn't mention WSCR or Bernstein by name. It was a prominent part of the commercial though, and I agree that they should have played that up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I got used to Kap from the nightly Comcast Sports show at 5:30. He literally just talks sports and runs down the issues with each team. I always liked Mac because he would drift away from sports and talk about other guy issues like food or music, but I don't need a radio sports guy crusading for social issues. That's where I get upset when Penn State becomes a topic for months on end. The concussion stuff was also hard to take.

I want to enjoy listening to the radio and not be tortured by hosts that hate the callers, listeners, and athletes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Tad Queasy wrote:
8675309 wrote:

The commercials for 87.7 The Game said "We don't yell and scream..." or something like that but didn't mention WSCR or Bernstein by name. It was a prominent part of the commercial though, and I agree that they should have played that up.
Would love that scenario to play out. Someone with enough chutzpah to get on the air and call him out by name saying what a piece of garbage he is and how he's going to destroy his career by stealing his listeners. It'd be awesome to hear.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:26 am 

If I recall on Kap's first day, they had a transition segment where they did call out the Score. I posted it here. They basically said the guys at ESPN 1000 are all on the same team and like working with one another unlike the other station in town.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
denisdman wrote:
If I recall on Kap's first day, they had a transition segment where they did call out the Score. I posted it here. They basically said the guys at ESPN 1000 are all on the same team and like working with one another unlike the other station in town.

I loved that.

Even though I'm a die-hard Sox fan, Kap drives a good show. He's willing to talk about any team and is passionate about what he's talking about. He's good for thinking up some decent talking points, in my opinion. He has definitely grown on me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Kap predicted the New Orleans upset last night.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:20 am 

It was a small home dog in a prime time game

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:21 am 

good dolphin wrote:

Don't let Mike Vick near that one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:22 am 

good dolphin wrote:

Okay. But every other host and 'expert' I heard on the radio yesterday picked Atlanta.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
good dolphin wrote:
8675309 wrote:

87.1 was a lost opportunity to change the complexion of sports radio in this town. ESPN doesn't have the will to really compete with local sports radio. So here we sit and will continue to sit for the better part of the next 20 years (or until we can get some local sports radio podcast other than Spada).

This. I still can't believe how badly Jimmy De Castro screwed this up. Its too bad.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Just heard Elmhurst Steve on Kap. He basically said everything is fine in the world of the coob. Next year..yada,yada.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:37 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
Just heard Elmhurst Steve on Kap. He basically said everything is fine in the world of the coob. Next year..yada,yada.

Did he say they need more whites on the team?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:02 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
redskingreg wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

Did he say they need more whites on the team?

Also MLB could use more blacks also. When I was growing up baseball had a lot of great African-American players. Not so much anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:24 pm 

I hate the title of this thread. Reminds me of neckbeards, SJWs, and white knights.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Zizou wrote:
I hate the title of this thread. Reminds me of neckbeards, SJWs, and white knights.

m'zizou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
They really need to adios the live remote at Ditkas. Does anyone fucking care what he has to say about anything anymore? It's brutal.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
A segment would be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:58 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
They really need to adios the live remote at Ditkas. Does anyone fucking care what he has to say about anything anymore? It's brutal.

Why is it necessary for Kaplan, Carmen, and Jurko to all be there when it is called “The Mike Ditka Show”?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
The guy who sat in with Kap on Tuesday was an absolute moron. Can't remember his name, but he had some stupid nickname. The guy brought nothing to the table. I made it about 5 minutes before I PTFB. Unlistenable. Kudos, ESPN.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I think you're referring to "Barstool Big Cat". I had to look that up, myself. Works for Barstool Sports, whatever the fuck that is. Yes, the guy was a moron.

Maybe it's time to drop the "& Co." from the title if this is what they have to choose from already at this early stage.

FWIW, I still can't stand Kap, but I would rather listen to his smarmy ass than the shitshow on 670.

EDIT: Corrected the name. Thanks, spany.

Last edited by Minooka Meatball on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:18 pm 

"Big Cat".

He's funny in writing, IMO, but I agree not funny when speaking. Not nearly as funny as he thinks he is anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:04 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:

He has been stealing for at least a decade, probably more. Have you ever heard him as a guest on an ESPN show? He says nothing. I don't know if there's a better example of "right place at the right time" than Ditkith.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:52 pm 

Kap had a nice interview with “Chico” Rivera today. They should either assign a regular co-host for Kap, or let Kap host the show solo as he did today. Regardless, the show would be better in my opinion if they ditched the rotating co-host concept.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
IIRC, J. Hood is 'the company' on Wednesday