It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

At least for this Cubs run.

I know he's a weirdo, an alleged racist (By B&B & Larry) and people hate him, but I don't think there is a bigger Cub fan than him. Just feels like he should get a run with Kap for the World Series push.

Murph has some dumb ideas but he also knows baseball well.

It would only be for 2 or 3 weeks. Not enough time for Kaplan to hate him.

If not, maybe Murph doing Cubs postgame for ESPN 1000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Murph is done.

this is a complete Cubs organization transition.

They dont want Murph around.

Nobody wants to hear him complain about not doing it the right way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Murph is on once in a while during the day on weekends. Not bad. Better than the Rosenbloom self proclaimed "suck fest". Idiot talks all show about how it sucks. He's right. PTFB.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:47 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
bigfan wrote:
Murph is done.

I do! :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:39 pm 

I predict (saying it like I mean it) that Murph, in his darkest heart of hearts, would secretly rather have them lose just so he can perpetuate his 1969-bleacher-bum-blowing-his-bugle nostalgia.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:26 am 

pizza_Place: Speedway
Zizou wrote:
I predict (saying it like I mean it) that Murph, in his darkest heart of hearts, would secretly rather have them lose just so he can perpetuate his 1969-bleacher-bum-blowing-his-bugle nostalgia.

That burns my butt if he feels that way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:14 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Murph is done.

I do! :D

Listen to his podcast, it hasnt changed in 4 years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Zizou wrote:

Agreed...and until they actually win the WS, he can tap into that frustration with a segment of fans. When and if they do win it all, he is done.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:38 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Zizou wrote:

Agreed...and until they actually win the WS, he can tap into that frustration with a segment of fans. When and if they do win it all, he is done.

he will continue to have that same segment of fans that will feel pushed out....its part of the process.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Zizou wrote:

I don't think he realizes that about himself but I agree with you that it is true...if they do win it all, it would change him completely as a sports radio host.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

Murph is one of those guys where he's not just a fan, but the Cubs are his life. One of those types.

He's got no kids. I don't think he got married until he was like 40 or so. So until then, the Cubs were totally his life.

I think you guys are right. There are a lot of the older Cubs fans that would actually like it better if the Cubs never won. They won't admit it. It sounds weird, but they all have this bond over being fans of this team with this amazing streak of not winning. It's kind of like their identity. Once that ends, so does their identity. Murph is probably one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Beardown wrote:
Murph is one of those guys where he's not just a fan, but the Cubs are his life. One of those types.

He's got no kids. I don't think he got married until he was like 40 or so. So until then, the Cubs were totally his life.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:57 am 

You look at those guys shagging BP home run balls and other old Bleacher Bums like The Bleacher Preacher and there is not a chance any of those guys were getting laid. The probably considered Murph a sellout when he got a girlfriend.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
His show on 670 was soooo bad, you had to listen.

Miss a little miss a lot...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Zizou wrote:

post of the year. that's why he shit's on the 84 cubs. because jim frey went w/ the 'I DONT NEED TO HEAR ABOUT 1969' when they won the division. that probably pissed him off so much that he has utter distaste for that team. At least that team won something!

too bad the cubs didnt make it to the WS or win it. then those bums from 69 would need to get a real job instead of living off being losers for the last 46 years!

For guys like murph, it's that 69 team or nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Cashman wrote:

His show wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it sometimes. A Murph and Kap pairing would amuse me, though.

"I don't really...have time...to eat lunch."
"You need some lunch, sunshine? Got a Smith & Wollensky gift certificate for ya RIGHT HERE, PAL! Compliments of the Kap!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
You guys sound like Berns with his made up narrative that Cubs fans dont want the Cubs to win the World Series. Of course a big Cub fan like Murph wants them to win the WS. It is silly to think otherwise.

Also, Murphs show was the highest rated show on The Score when Mitch fired him. Dumb guy that Mitch.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:27 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Cashman wrote:

His show wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it sometimes. A Murph and Kap pairing would amuse me, though.

"I don't really...have time...to eat lunch."
"You need some lunch, sunshine? Got a Smith & Wollensky gift certificate for ya RIGHT HERE, PAL! Compliments of the Kap!"

even though I crap on him I have to admit his show was entertaining. I go back a long way listening to him, starting in the 90s w/ FAN TALK on WLS.

His shtick gets old though if he's on the air consistently. But when you get some time off from listening to him and then hear him after a few years something just works.

Ive told this story a bilzillion times about murph here throughout the years but here goes :

I was like 18 when he was on WLS and he was going to be at a mall for a live show. That WLS show he had was so fresh and entertaining. FANS TALKING TO FANS! Remember back then it was Chet Coppock and nothing else, maybe Bears post game radio. Nobody took calls from the fans back in the day. it was Coppock having guests on and blathering away for 3 hours.

Then Murph came on with Fan Talk which I think was like one night a week (Sundays?). It was the precursor to the Score since he actually took calls from fans. Me being a young and a big sports fan, and big cubs fan, loved it from the start. Guy was different than anything I had heard from sports radio at that time in Chicago.

Long story short, he was doing a live show and a meet/greet in Lincolnwood. I drove out from Lombard all the way to Lincolnwood to catch his show. 18 year old me was so excited!

I finally get there, meet the guy, and he was a total a-hole. He must have had something against young people back then. He was surrounded by people who looked like WW2 vets and shooting the breeze w/ them. When he met eyes w/ me, he had this pissed off look on his face. Like why the F was I there. I went to shake his hands and he just walked away like he had to do something.

I was like WTF before WTF was in fashion :)

Even after that, I still enjoyed his show and somewhat enjoyed it when he made the switch to The Score.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:40 pm 

Murph put in more show preperation than any of the goofs currently on 670. It was a good show and I would love to hear him back on 670 with the Cubs moving there...but that will not ever happen.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I kind of feel bad for the guy......seriously....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Give Murph Larry's show. I'd listen. And it would be awesome if Murph took his time slot with all the shit Larry has talked about him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:02 pm 

i listed to larry's show a few weeks ago. first time - and it was terrible.

what did larry have to say about murph? I know a lot of Murph's ex producers use to post on these forums and described Murph as a pretty terrible person.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Scorehead wrote:
Murph put in more show preperation than any of the goofs currently on 670. It was a good show and I would love to hear him back on 670 with the Cubs moving there...but that will not ever happen.

Don't confuse activity with accomplishment...

Murph prepared...true. Still, the guy was a jerk...it showed. He couldn't get over 1969...it showed. He was an awful listen and I do not miss him one bit.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:39 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

Murph prepared...true. Still, the guy was a jerk...it showed. He couldn't get over 1969...it showed. He was an awful listen and I do not miss him one bit.

Many listeners disagreed with you. Murphs show was the most listened to show on WSCR.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:46 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

but you are not the arbiter of what should be on the air. The guy got ratings.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:09 pm 

The academics (Derrida et al) have a name for it that escapes me, but to both understand and appreciate Murph, you had to be in your teens between 1967 and 1970. You have had to have shared the same experiences and been in the same frame of mind -- otherwise his shows make little sense.

I didn't grow up in Chicago, but I still remember the '69 Cubs season with almost photo recall. The failure of the '69 Cubs haunts me almost as much as my numerous personal and professional failures. I simply have never been able to explain why.

Murph's "shtick" was standard sports talk circa 1970 -- self-deprecating humor infused with a lot of statistics and trivia. There is an echo of that in shows such as Mike & Mike but Bernsie takes the complete opposite approach: self-importance and arrogance which is more of akin to AM shock jock radio of the 1980s and 1990s.

Just as I don't have the experiences to understand Bernsie, being a teen the late 1960s is almost a pre-requisite to enjoying/understanding Murph.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:58 pm 

murph got ratings but that was because he had a loyal following of those 69 era fans. I wasn't around in 69 but murph's first say 7 years were solid. when the stupid feud's between other score personalities happened, then he really got grumpy and took it out on everyone else, mainly the listeners.

also that fued between bores/mcneil/bernsie was pretty stupid. those 3 guys were like nerds picking on the ultra nerd. it was unnecessary and really made murph crawl into his hole. by then it was me vs the world for murph and that didn't make for enjoyable radio.

even after saying all that, i wouldn't mind listening to the guy on the radio from time to time. as long as he sticks to sports it's fine w/ me. i know he will treat any producer he has like shit but that's what you get working for murph.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:01 pm 

"Out of Step Charlie" who was completely wrong about the Cubs rebuilding plan now declares that the Cubs will not sign a big ticket free agent pitcher even though just about everyone in baseball says that they will. He says the Cubs dont have the money to make a deal as they are still paying off previous debts. Murph has turned in to the "you kids get off my lawn!" baseball grump.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
orioleboy wrote:
"Murph has turned in to the "you kids get off my lawn!" baseball grump.

Excellent. I love baseball grumps.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Murph would be better than Leery. But Bernstein would never allow it.