It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou Protest
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
billypootons wrote:
is there a website or article that specifically lists the things this president did that were wrong? from what i've read it just seems like the white townies are still racist and probably much of the white student body is too... how is that different than any other midwest school that is mostly white?

From what I gather, he didn't actually do anything(right or wrong). That's the problem (supposedly).

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Regular Reader wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Did the fecal swastika really happen? I must admit that I was skeptical of that one. I can see a swastika and I can see non-specific fecal matter, but I can't see a swastika comprised of fecal matter.

I can't confirm it second hand fwiw, but it certainly was actively talked about on campus & reported in the media. But it seemed plausible given that many Jewish kids & faculty had joined in the protests.

I see. It looks like the Student Body President is also gay, or trans? The situation is fluid.

https://www.facebook.com/payton.head/po ... 3585252620

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I'm still trying to figure out what the President did wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
http://deadspin.com/whats-going-on-at-t ... 1741447807

Does a decent job at describing the events. This whole thing reminds me of naggers south park episode where the only way Randy Marsh could atone was by kissing Jesse Jackson Jr bare ass cheeks. It does seem like the universitys response was underwhelming so I see the concern.

Last edited by billypootons on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:54 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
I don't understand how a University President is responsible for, or what he is supposed to do...

In what way is it incumbent upon the University to address that? Was there a connection between that incident and the University? In what way were students "left stranded, forced to face an increase in tension and inequality with no systemic support"? I did not see an explanation of what they thought the University was supposed to do.

No one ever said the former President was responsible for those acts. Just like the President of Loyola is not responsible for the recent attacks that have taken place on or around that campus. One difference is that the Loyola president wasn't dismissive of his/her(?) students concerns and arrogant in his/her lack of response.

As I mentioned above, the former Mizzou pres gave his reading of the tenor & new direction down there earlier this year despite what many shareholders felt was appropriate. Exhibiting his aloofness, arrogance and inability to read the flavor of his own campus is one thing he was NOT supposed to do. It is incumbent upon the University to attempt to provide the safest campus environment...or at least not take active steps to alienate certain groups of students. Many down there feel that his "hands off" approach precisely helped to embolden those who created the escalating issues.

I'd posit that if nothing else the fact that students' feelings were supported by many of the faculty (& faculty heads) is telling though. No?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:55 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:

It's not difficult to figure out at all. Whether you agree or not is obviously a different matter.

According to the protestors, the President stood by idly while a bunch of different scenarios like the one the student President talked about were happening. He was not proactive at all about changing the supposedly racist atmosphere around the University. It's really that simple. There's nothing more to figure out.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Hockey Gay wrote:

Me too. At least it should be a little more clear when what he did cost him his job.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

It's not difficult to figure out at all. Whether you agree or not is obviously a different matter.

According to the protestors, the President stood by idly while a bunch of different scenarios like the one the student President talked about were happening. He was not proactive at all about changing the supposedly racist atmosphere around the University. It's really that simple. There's nothing more to figure out.

Meh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:01 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

Me too. At least it should be a little more clear when what he did cost him his job.
A portion of the student body brought strong and plausible concerns to him and his response was basically "Ok. We'll do something small in April" and then nothing else.

He handled this horribly and got what was coming to him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:03 pm 

FWIW, I actually like the area around there quite a bit(there really isn't much else besides the schools). I wasn't prepared to have that reaction & didn't trust it until I went on successive visits down there. This may shock some (as it did most who know me), but if there were more "there" there, I'd actually consider living there.

I even tend to believe that most of the issues arose from students, NOT the locals. The small amounts of time I've spent around there (& the interactions I had with local residents) really impressed me with their openness and friendliness.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:05 pm 

Interestingly, he was one of these guys who was brought in to "run it like a business." He had never worked in education prior to becoming University President. In fact, he worked in the fascinating and culturally significant world of software sales. I believe the U of Iowa just hired someone similar. (Edit: the Yes Men strike again http://www.slate.com/articles/life/educ ... d_his.html)

"Smiles with Nostrils"

Last edited by DannyB on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
this is a well done, click-y timeline.

http://www.themaneater.com/special-sect ... fall-2015/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:12 pm 

DannyB wrote:
Interestingly, he was one of these guys who was brought in to "run it like a business." He had never worked in education prior to becoming University President. In fact, he worked in the fascinating and culturally significant world of software sales. I believe the U of Iowa just hired someone similar.

That isn't a surprise at all. That was exactly the impression I got from events I attended there. I hope the Iowa president learns from this experience. The kids I know that are there now really like it a lot. I looked into Iowa with my son & really liked the campus and atmosphere there as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:12 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

A portion of the student body brought strong and plausible concerns to him and his response was basically "Ok. We'll do something small in April" and then nothing else.

He handled this horribly and got what was coming to him.

I am not arguing that he didn't. For me this story this all popped up quickly and flashed hot and the guy is gone. I would have guess this would have followed some sort of long DOJ type action.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:14 pm 

If you are looking for a smoking gun along the lines of a video clip with the President saying the N word, that's not what happened here. It's simply that he allowed a racist atmosphere to exist, and did not do anything to stop it. There is nothing more to this story, and there is nothing more to figure out. It should not be confusing.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:15 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
If you are looking for a smoking gun along the lines of a video clip with the President saying the N word, that's not what happened here. It's simply that he allowed a racist atmosphere to exist, and did do anything to stop it. There is nothing more to this story, and there is nothing more to figure out. It should not be confusing.
Yup.

He messed up and the students, faculty, alumni, and legislature were against him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:18 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
If you are looking for a smoking gun along the lines of a video clip with the President saying the N word, that's not what happened here. It's simply that he allowed a racist atmosphere to exist, and did do anything to stop it. There is nothing more to this story, and there is nothing more to figure out. It should not be confusing.
Yup.

He messed up and the students, faculty, alumni, and legislature were against him.

That is good then. Swift justice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Regular Reader wrote:
As I mentioned above, the former Mizzou pres gave his reading of the tenor & new direction down there earlier this year despite what many shareholders felt was appropriate. Exhibiting his aloofness, arrogance and inability to read the flavor of his own campus is one thing he was NOT supposed to do. It is incumbent upon the University to attempt to provide the safest campus environment...or at least not take active steps to alienate certain groups of students. Many down there feel that his "hands off" approach precisely helped to embolden those who created the escalating issues.

I'd posit that if nothing else the fact that students' feelings were supported by many of the faculty (& faculty heads) is telling though. No?

Normally I would agree and say that is very telling, but in the thread about Yale it said there were faculty as well as students who were "offended" by the responses from the woman involved and her husband to students concerns about Halloween costumes.

It sounds like there have been other incidents on campus directed at various groups:
http://deadspin.com/whats-going-on-at-t ... 1741447807

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:30 pm 

Reared on the Score wrote:
this is a well done, click-y timeline.

http://www.themaneater.com/special-sect ... fall-2015/

Much of that is Onion-worthy. The English department is on the verge of taking up arms. If you mess with the international students' health care subsidy, you'll have the theater department to contend with.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:48 pm 

I got oral sex after a date at Gibson's from a girl named Payton Head

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:35 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
This guy don't step down if the football team doesn't participate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
312player wrote:
This guy don't step down if the football team doesn't participate.

So, they got a fired for not doing..........something.........

Now what?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:24 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
If you are looking for a smoking gun along the lines of a video clip with the President saying the N word, that's not what happened here. It's simply that he allowed a racist atmosphere to exist, and did not do anything to stop it. There is nothing more to this story, and there is nothing more to figure out. It should not be confusing.

Well, one of several incidents noted was a single drunken white student falling off of a stage while using a racial slur. The campus police apparently identified the kid and appear to be in the process of expelling him (!). I am generally a supporter of the whole notion of change the language change the culture but there is an overload of absurdity in this story. Though I suppose all will end well when the next President prohibits all racially insensitive thoughts on the part of all 35,000 students at the school.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:43 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangelas
Quote:
Well, one of several incidents noted was a single drunken white student falling off of a stage while using a racial slur.

I would love to have witnessed this. Never seen a racial slur emanated from the mouth of one rushing towards the earth (at least, not from the perspective of an observer).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:38 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
So this guy got pushed out for not curing Missouri of racism?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:38 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
leashyourkids wrote:

It looks that way. Problem solved!

I think it was the poop swastika in the bathroom stall that pushed this thing over the edge.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:50 am 

leashyourkids wrote:

He never felt their pain and made proclamations he had no ability to successfully fulfill.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:58 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
More like not caring about it at all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:59 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Regular Reader wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Interestingly, he was one of these guys who was brought in to "run it like a business." He had never worked in education prior to becoming University President. In fact, he worked in the fascinating and culturally significant world of software sales. I believe the U of Iowa just hired someone similar.

That isn't a surprise at all. That was exactly the impression I got from events I attended there. I hope the Iowa president learns from this experience. The kids I know that are there now really like it a lot. I looked into Iowa with my son & really liked the campus and atmosphere there as well.

Has anyone seen the 30 for 30 about Bill McCartney, the old Colorado coach yet? There was a statistic in there that I found hard to believe. At the time McCartney was coach there were 23,000 students at the University of Colorado and only 400 of them (including the guys on the football team) were black.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:00 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I haven't read a lot about this story yet but from what I have heard and read this forced resignation doesn't feel right.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next