It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

orioleboy wrote:
"Out of Step Charlie" who was completely wrong about the Cubs rebuilding plan now declares that the Cubs will not sign a big ticket free agent pitcher even though just about everyone in baseball says that they will. He says the Cubs dont have the money to make a deal as they are still paying off previous debts. Murph has turned in to the "you kids get off my lawn!" baseball grump.

He's still a moron.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:44 am 

orioleboy wrote:
"Out of Step Charlie" who was completely wrong about the Cubs rebuilding plan now declares that the Cubs will not sign a big ticket free agent pitcher even though just about everyone in baseball says that they will. He says the Cubs dont have the money to make a deal as they are still paying off previous debts. Murph has turned in to the "you kids get off my lawn!" baseball grump.

He's not wrong if his opinion that it is not acceptable to plan to tank three seasons irrespective of the end

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
good dolphin wrote:
orioleboy wrote:

He's not wrong if his opinion that it is not acceptable to plan to tank three seasons irrespective of the end

That's my opinion. 3 blown seasons for Kris Bryant? You can keep Bryant and I'll take my chances by trying to win 2012-2014.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Jimmy Pasta doesn't know Kyle Schwarber.

Also, you can't be trying to be good and trade Shark and Hams for Russell.

But I do think Rickets will continue to hamstring the Cubs spending.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:17 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
orioleboy wrote:

That's my opinion. 3 blown seasons for Kris Bryant? You can keep Bryant and I'll take my chances by trying to win 2012-2014.

Didnt they try that for like...100 years?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:21 am 

City of Fools wrote:

The official Anti-Epstein stance is that they could have gotten Schwarber later in the draft (maybe) and didnt need to tank.

For the Samardzija thing they would argue that he wanted to KEEP Samardzija and lucked out that he didnt take the deal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:50 am 

City of Fools wrote:

Schwarber was universally thought to be a guy that would be there later in the draft. Schwarber himself thought this by signing "under slot".

The Shark trade most certainly could have been made if a season wasn't going as well as proposed. It wouldn't have to be made if a season were going well. Either way, you would have had a trade or a playoff run.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:53 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
orioleboy wrote:

Didnt they try that for like...100 years?

So, your trust of Epstein only runs as deep as him drafting in the top 10?

You have a good front office. Shouldn't they be have been able to find players to make them good on both the MLB level and then 10 or so slots lower in the draft?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:07 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

So, your trust of Epstein only runs as deep as him drafting in the top 10?

You have a good front office. Shouldn't they be have been able to find players to make them good on both the MLB level and then 10 or so slots lower in the draft?

I think at some point you have to stop signing 30 year old free agents and try to build from within. When Pasta says he would have liked to compete those years it seems like he wanted to keep doing what Hendry was doing. (band-aids on bullet wounds)

And I like Hendry overall but the window was closed and it was time to rebuild

I dont fully endorse how they did it (dont think they had to completely TANK) but rebuildng the minor leagues was necessary