It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou Protest
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
badrogue17 wrote:
Used to live right off of Howard and Callan.

Drinkin' Henney at the Ho 'til they closed the place
Now we smokin' bowls at the dead-end on Callan and Case

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:51 am 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Gary Pinkel announced his resignation today. Interesting timing even if it's ostensibly for health reasons.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... th-reasons

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:32 am 

DannyB wrote:
Gary Pinkel announced his resignation today. Interesting timing even if it's ostensibly for health reasons.

He probably lied about his cancer.

What exactly are the MIzzou campers still protesting for??? I don''t get it any more. The got what they originally wanted and then some.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
spanky wrote:
DannyB wrote:

He probably lied about his cancer.

What exactly are the MIzzou campers still protesting for??? I don''t get it any more. The got what they originally wanted and then some.

I've heard a clip on the radio of one of the protesters saying that getting rid of Tim Wolfe was just the first step and that they want "to break down the system."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:31 am 

Mizzou prof. resigns following outrage over his refusal to cancel exam

Dr. Dale Brigham, considered one of the most beloved professors at the University of Missouri, has resigned after refusing to cancel an exam for students who claimed to feel “unsafe.”

“If you don’t feel safe coming to class, then don’t come to class,” Dr. Brigham told his students. “I will be there, and there will be an exam administered in our class,” he continued, imploring his students to stand up to the bullies on campus. “If you give into bullies, they win. The only way bullies are defeated is by standing up to them.”

Dr. Brigham was sharply criticized in the media for requiring his students to attend class and take their exam. Salon ran a story with the headline “White Missouri professor shames black students for heeding violent threats.”The Washington Post featured similar coverage of “a white professor” who “challenged his students to come to class.”

Those upset with Dr. Brigham’s decision to hold class took to Twitter calling for Brigham to be fired and calling him “a failure as a human being.”

There is more to the article that I apparently can't copy and paste without doing screenshots, so just follow the link for the full story: http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6971

UPDATE: According to KOMU, a spokesperson for the University of Missouri said the school will not accept Dr. Brigham's resignation.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Tad Queasy wrote:

Dr. Dale Brigham, considered one of the most beloved professors at the University of Missouri, has resigned after refusing to cancel an exam for students who claimed to feel “unsafe.”

“If you don’t feel safe coming to class, then don’t come to class,” Dr. Brigham told his students. “I will be there, and there will be an exam administered in our class,” he continued, imploring his students to stand up to the bullies on campus. “If you give into bullies, they win. The only way bullies are defeated is by standing up to them.”

Dr. Brigham was sharply criticized in the media for requiring his students to attend class and take their exam. Salon ran a story with the headline “White Missouri professor shames black students for heeding violent threats.”The Washington Post featured similar coverage of “a white professor” who “challenged his students to come to class.”

Those upset with Dr. Brigham’s decision to hold class took to Twitter calling for Brigham to be fired and calling him “a failure as a human being.”

There is more to the article that I apparently can't copy and paste without doing screenshots, so just follow the link for the full story: http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6971

UPDATE: According to KOMU, a spokesperson for the University of Missouri said the school will not accept Dr. Brigham's resignation.

Good for the school not accepting it.

I sound exactly like my parents when I was a yute, but man fuck this generation of dumb motherfucking kids.

Shut up and get your ass to class. If you don't "feel safe", go somewhere else.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Que REM paraphrase. End of the world as we know it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:54 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I sound exactly like my parents when I was a yute, but man fuck this generation of dumb motherfucking kids.

Yes.

This is a fucking mess.

At the heart of it these kids want attention and they are getting it in spades.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
RFDC wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

Yes.

This is a fucking mess.

At the heart of it these kids want attention and they are getting it in spades.

:shock:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:00 am 

yes?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:02 am 

spades.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
In college we paid more attention to Euchre than Spades.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Someone may have posted this but a similar turn of phrase started the whole thing at Ithaca College. We report, you decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-QNeQR3WAg

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:02 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
DannyB wrote:
Someone may have posted this but a similar turn of phrase started the whole thing at Ithaca College. We report, you decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-QNeQR3WAg

That's the whole incident that has precipitated the "no confidence" vote at Ithaca College?

Wow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:12 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:

No joke my first thought when reading this is how did I miss this Onion story?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:13 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

That's the part that kills me. They are giving credence to all the "back in my day" assholes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:20 am 

I would have no problem with the professor for failing the students that didn't show up to take the test.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:25 am 

So, wait now we're talking physical threats? Not just feeling safe to speak your mind?

Well that changes it a little bit, imo

I mean if there are legit threats against minorities I kinda see where they're coming from (but at the end of the day, you cant put your head in the sand)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:29 am 
1000 CLUB

rogers park bryan wrote:
So, wait now we're talking physical threats? Not just feeling safe to speak your mind?

I mean if there are legit threats against minorities I kinda see where they're coming from (but at the end of the day, you cant put your head in the sand)

But the university kept the university open on the day of the scheduled exam.

Brigham was simply acting in accordance with university leadership.

His "challenge" to students seemed odd, though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:30 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

So then the University must of deemed the threats non credible.

I guess Ill go back to my original outrage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Quote:
Dr. Brigham was sharply criticized in the media for requiring his students to attend class and take their exam.

Maybe there needs to be some context to it, but just ..... I mean, just look at that sentence for fucks' sake.
Unless that context is that there were packs of rabid lions patrolling the area or something like that, ... I mean ... ye gods.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Tall Midget wrote:

I don't see it as a challenge. I hate how the media takes the side of the group I think is wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:45 am 

Spaulding wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I don't see it as a challenge. I hate how the media takes the side of the group I think is wrong.

The media is largely liberal. Ill bet FoxNews would be more in line with your thinking (that's not the insult it may appear to be)

But if you dont like what's on CNN, switch to Fox for the other side (for the most part)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:19 am 
1000 CLUB

Spaulding wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I'm not sure how one could see it in other terms. He also trivialized threats of violence by characterizing them as "bullying."

Nevertheless, the guy seems to be a good teacher and is extremely popular with his students. I don't think his comments deserve punishment, but I would advise him to be more careful about the way he phrases his emails in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:22 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I'm not sure how one could see it in other terms. He also trivialized threats of violence by characterizing them as "bullying."

Nevertheless, the guy seems to be a good teacher and is extremely popular with his students. I don't think his comments deserve punishment, but I would advise him to be more careful about the way he phrases his emails in the future.

Agreed Midget

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
yeah as a people a country and a species we gotta get over these ~160 dead people in paris and remember that there are people in our own backyard (#MIZZOU) who have to deal with poop schwastikas and the KKK and all kinds of #REALPROBLEMS that matter a whole lot more than 160+ dead people in europe!

yeah i linked to a page with some of the deleted tweets from friday night when the whole "FORGET PARIS WHAT ABOUT US AT #MIZZOU?" thing blew up, but 'twas real and it was a poignant reminder that we can't forget about the worse-than-terrorism problems that plague us here in the homeland: THAT WAS A SCHWASTIKA MADE OUT OF POOP YOU KNOW. RACIST PEOPLE ARE OUT THERE! KKK! A SCHWASTIKA MADE OUT OF POOP PEOPLE, THIS ISN'T DEFCON 2 OR 3!

so what's going on with good ol mizzou nowadays? i know there might or might not have been a KKK statement/threat that got 'em rattled, but didnt the president guy who they demanded step down actually step down? what else is mizzou supposed to do? is this a case of "hey since we got the president to step down so quickly what else can we get out of them while we're still here?"

scary precedent IMO, tho i'm prolly mixing up the mizzou president with the yale guy cuz i think it was the yale guy who basically said "shouldn't we be adults who know that white ppl dressing up in blackface is wrong?" and people wanted him fired for only being 90-95% on message.... crazy times we live in!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:20 pm 

Hussra wrote:

I hope someone at Yale goes as "Soopermexican" for Halloween next year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
spmack wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the only real "bad" parts of Rogers Park is in two places...the square two block area on Howard between Paulina to Ashland and the Jonquil/Juneway Terraces....and the other being right around the Morse Red Line stop.

It's hard for me to say because I spent so much time there growing up, but I'd say nothing on any part of Howard is too good. Guys get shot near Devon and Western all the time. Morse is a lot better than it once was, but still not the safest spot in the City. That area of Chicago north of Howard, what we used to just call "Juneway" is as bad as ever, I think.

This guy is from Birchwood and Damen. I don't take him seriously, but he's fun to follow:

https://twitter.com/OsoFuturistic?lang=en

Speaking of that area, this happened over the weekend.

Quote:
CHICAGO — After a 25-year-old man died after a daytime shooting in Willye B. White Park in Rogers Park on Saturday, one neighbor said that while parts of the area feel safer, gang shootings seem more and more brazen.

Around 12:30 p.m., Eric Jordan, of the 4600 block of North Racine Avenue, was walking in the 1600 block of West Howard Street when someone walked up and shot him in his chest, according to county records and Officer Janel Sedevic, a Chicago Police spokeswoman.

The man was taken to St. Francis Hospital in critical condition, Sedevic said. He was later pronounced dead.

Donna Conroy, a nearby resident known to neighbors as "the cleaning lady," said she was sweeping garbage at the park's playground when she heard "six or seven" loud bangs. She then saw a woman in the park scream at her two young children to get down, huddling themselves from the gunfire.

"It was very frightening," said Conroy, who added that she'd never witnessed a shooting before. "There are kids out here all the time, and if there are shootings going on here, they're vulnerable."

Near Jordan's home Uptown Sunday morning, Patrick, who declined to give his last name, said he and Jordan grew up together near Clarendon Avenue and Sunnyside Avenue, often playing basketball together at Clarendon Park.

"He was always really friendly, never said a bad word to anyone," Patrick said.

Patrick said Jordan, known to friends and neighbors as "E.J.," attended high school in the area before dropping out and falling in with a gang.

White Park, where Jordan was shot, is next to Gale Elementary School. A similar daytime shooting in the same area, which Gale's principal called "traumatizing," caused Gale to cancel recess in June due to fear of safety for students. After an outcry, recess was reinstated and Gale beefed up security.

This time, community leaders called for an escalated effort to prevent further gun violence in the area.

"In addition to renewing our call upon our law enforcement officials to endeavor to reduce the escalating crime rate within our community, we encourage all citizens and businesses to accept the basic responsibility of being watchdogs within Rogers Park," wrote Rogers Park Chamber of Commerce President Bill Morton in a statement. "We are not advocating vigilante-ism, but we do advocate the power of every set of eyes within our community to observe and to report suspicious persons and activities to our police."

At the time of the shooting, a city-sponsored community resource expo was scheduled to be held in Willye B. White Park.

The park's second shooting since June, Conroy said, was evidence that Rogers Park is "going in two directions" as a neighborhood.

"On one hand, most of the neighborhood feels safer ... like there's less tension when you walk around," said Conroy, who's lived in the 7700 block of North Juneway Terrace since 1998. "But in these spots where gangs hang out, it seems like they're more willing to shoot than they used to be."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next