It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:58 pm 

a retard wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Are there any unwritten rules or etiquette that i need to know about before running my first 5K? I don't want to screw anything up.

1) Unless you plan on winning the race don't start in front and don't run shirtless.

2) Wear your bib so it is visible.

3) Thank the volunteers.

What 5k? Good luck and have fun!!

THanks. Just a local one down here in Missouri. It is a fund raiser to purchase christmas presents for kids in tough situations.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:58 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
RFDC wrote:
a retard wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Are there any unwritten rules or etiquette that i need to know about before running my first 5K? I don't want to screw anything up.

1) Unless you plan on winning the race don't start in front and don't run shirtless.

2) Wear your bib so it is visible.

3) Thank the volunteers.

What 5k? Good luck and have fun!!

THanks. Just a local one down here in Missouri. It is a fund raiser to purchase christmas presents for kids in tough situations.

Hope for decent weather and have a good time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:17 am 

I went out for a 5K jog yesterday. I have been doing most of my work inside on a treadmill the last few weeks. BIG MISTAKE.
I know that the treadmill is easier but I found out how much easier yesterday. The course I run is flat with a stretch that is all
downhill, some of it pretty steep. The last half of the run is all a gradual climb with one hill that is a few hundred yards at a
pretty good incline. Anyway. I had pretty low expectations and was shooting to break 33 minutes as I hadn't done that distance
outside in a long time. I set a pretty good pace until I hit the last mile stretch uphill and I felt like I was running in place. I wanted
to quit so badly but I just kept the old legs moving forward. Ended up finishing in 28 minutes and I was pretty surprised. I was
happy with my time but was pretty tired out as I had pushed pretty hard. I have no clue how I am going to do that 10K in a
week and a half. That course is almost completely flat so I have that going for me. Even on the treadmill I run at no less than a
1.0 incline. Anyway I think I will do the same loop after work tonight and maybe take a lesser pace and just work on keeping a
good pace the entire jog. I picked up some new headphones this weekend and that has been great to help me focus on something
other than my heavy breathing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
good running everyone, i hope your race went/goes well RFDC. this is a great time of year for racing, the weather is excellent. i ran my first half marathon last weekend up in Galena, and it was hilly and tough. i had been doing a lot of hill work leading up to it, but that is a relative term because there are no hills around me that could prepare me for the hills in that race. i made it though in 2:07:30. i really want to race another soon, maybe something a little less ridiculous, i am pretty sure i could get close to 2:00:00 on a more typical course. the race schedule for anything other than holiday 5ks is starting to thin out a bit, but there are is a winter half marathon in chicago I'm considering. otherwise i am going to train hard this winter to be ready for the early spring races.

t-bone, good job on that 5k run, 28 minutes is not bad. if you can run a 5k in 28 you will be able to finish a 10k, just remember to start slow and get into a comfortable easy pace. i just ran a 10k a month or so again, went out way to fast, and it was a suffer-fest for the last 1.5 miles. 10k is a great distance, you will feel great at the end.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:40 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
t-bone, good job on that 5k run, 28 minutes is not bad. if you can run a 5k in 28 you will be able to finish a 10k, just remember to start slow and get into a comfortable easy pace. i just ran a 10k a month or so again, went out way to fast, and it was a suffer-fest for the last 1.5 miles. 10k is a great distance, you will feel great at the end.

Thanks mofo, I will try to do that tonight after work. Just pace it out a little better so I can feel stronger that last third that is all uphill. I never felt like I got into that
runners high mode where it is "easy running". I think I will be able to find that place on the flat course next week. At 250 lbs I was happy breaking 30 minutes after
such a long layoff.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:08 am 

28 minutes at 250 is pretty impressive. I'm 6'3" and 195 (started at 230+) and whenever i go to a race i look around and see all these 5'7" 140-150 pound guys and realize there is no way i will ever compete with them. this last HM i ran i felt very self-concious about my size, i felt like i was towering over all these incredibly lean fit guys. my wife noticed and was laughing about it. as it turns out i finished in the top half of the field. i have no plans or desire to lose 20-30 more pounds, so i just worry about improving my time and doing the best i can. i do imagine sometimes how fast i could run if i was 150 with all the running i do...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
28 minutes at 250 is pretty impressive. I'm 6'3" and 195 (started at 230+) and whenever i go to a race i look around and see all these 5'7" 140-150 pound guys and realize there is no way i will ever compete with them. this last HM i ran i felt very self-concious about my size, i felt like i was towering over all these incredibly lean fit guys. my wife noticed and was laughing about it. as it turns out i finished in the top half of the field. i have no plans or desire to lose 20-30 more pounds, so i just worry about improving my time and doing the best i can. i do imagine sometimes how fast i could run if i was 150 with all the running i do...

I've seen a few races that have a Clydesdale division for runners 200+. Could be a good excuse to pack on some holiday weight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Someone referred me to this website that has a bunch of training plans for almost any race. Might be of use to somebody:

http://www.halhigdon.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:05 pm 

who's gonna go in the rain?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
TurdFerguson wrote:

I've seen a few races that have a Clydesdale division for runners 200+. Could be a good excuse to pack on some holiday weight.

In the late 90s--early 2000s I was a fixture on the Clydesdale circuit. I was usually between 215-225 and had a 5K PR of about 22:40. If you started running at 230 you should improve shockingly fast. People pay for parachutes & shit to mimic what you achieved by eating & drinking too much. The guys who dominate are usually like 6'3" or 6"4.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:39 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
who's gonna go in the rain?

i'll probably go out tonight, running in the rain is refreshing as long as it isn't a total deluge. throw on a baseball cap to keep the water out of the eyes and you are good to go. hell, after a run I'm usually soaking wet anyway, at least the rain keeps you cool.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:35 pm 

I went 5 in the drizzle. I REALLY do not like soaking wet feet so spent the whole time avoiding puddles.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:03 pm 

Are u guys running or just doing the motions which isnt much more than speed walking? Cause 2 miles running for me is near death... I feel great after tho

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:27 pm 

I did 5 miles at a 9:30 pace which isn't amazing. Give it a try.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:42 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
I went 5 in the drizzle. I REALLY do not like soaking wet feet so spent the whole time avoiding puddles.

Thoughts and prayers for your chafed nipples.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Send tape.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:02 pm 

when I used to run a little bit, I would put band-aids on my nipples. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Hatchetman wrote:

Only if you are running less than 2 miles. Otherwise the bandaids fall off. This is what you need. Just remember to glide up as well as down.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:54 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

Me too. Even still my running shirts had small blood stains there. It was kind of weird.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:09 pm 

problem solved. these things work like a charm and never fall off no matter how long you run or sweaty you get.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:07 am 

Do they come in XXL?

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:56 am 

I did an extremely poor job of training for my 10k tomorrow. I don't expect great results. I only ran 3 miles twice in the past month
and have generally stunk in my preparation. Maybe I will surprise myself but I don't expect much. My goal to bust an hour is a pipedream
at this point. My real goal is to finish without stopping along the way. If I am over 1:06 I will be disappointed in myself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:20 pm 

Done a couple practice 5Ks in the last week. Finished in the 37-38 mins range. Not what I was hoping for, but could be worse.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:25 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Done a couple practice 5Ks in the last week. Finished in the 37-38 mins range. Not what I was hoping for, but could be worse.

Very nice! In the handful of races I have done over the years, I usually run a little quicker on race day. Not sure if that is an adrenaline thing or what.
You'll do great and sounds like it is for a good cause.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:28 pm 

one of my "buddies" has enlisted me and another guy to join his morning running club (3 of us). only problem is this other guy just ran an Ironman in the summer and got in the top 10% of times. Should be inneresting....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:43 pm 

Not much running lately, but I did swim 40 laps today, which I hadn't pushed myself to do in a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:10 pm 

It has been multi-element running this week. Saturday 12 miles in a blizzard. Sunday 8 in the frozen tundra winter wonderland (it really was gorgeous), then more seasonal temps the past few days. Tomorrow perhaps wind and rain. But all are still preferable to the treadmill.

Good luck to everyone running turkey trots tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:12 pm 

I would rather put on 25 pounds over a winter than go on a treadmill. It is the worst exercise.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:13 pm 

a retard wrote:
It has been multi-element running this week. Saturday 12 miles in a blizzard. Sunday 8 in the frozen tundra winter wonderland (it really was gorgeous), then more seasonal temps the past few days. !

jeez, how can you get yourself to go out in the rain/snow? I HATE wet feet. Any way to prevent that?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:48 am 

I too am not a fan of wet feet. Too blistery and coldey. I run in the street and try to avoid stepping in puddles and snow banks even if it means stopping to let oncoming traffic past. Also wear socks for running (they wick) and after the run pull the insoles out of the shoes so everything dries thoroughly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 22  Next