It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
This is pretty much as good as it will ever get as far as the selection of shows for Chicago listeners. You have B&B maybe for a couple more years, then Terry retires. No one in the pipeline who could ever replace him. If you get tired of listening to Dan pontificate, you can turn on Dahl's show during the same time slot, whom I'm finding more entertaining these days. And the big surprise is that Hot Dog King North has his own Bears post-game show on 97.1 FM. He hasn't missed a beat since he teamed with Big Doug back in the day. For straight Bears talk there's none better.

Danny Mac on the drive - big disappointment. No one cares about dates in rock history, and that seems to be the only thing he does. And no one cares about streaks, winning or losing, by teams either. Teams have them all the time.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
More like Götter-dumb-erung.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:47 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
More like Götter-dumb-erung.

Well, at least you used the "umlaut" correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
they ought to put a bullet in it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I thought this was gonna be a fun post. Which Chicago talk personality is Edward and which is Jacob? We all know Julie DiCaro is the sassy Anna Kendrick role.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:36 pm 

I don't know why people aren't talking about North being back. Isn't this what we've been asking for forever?

But he needs a partner to talk to, even though he's the one that does most of the talking. It would make the show more entertaining. Can't they find a former Bear to be on with him? What about Urlacher or O.B.?

North and O.B. would be great.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Dignified Rube wrote:
I don't know why people aren't talking about North being back. Isn't this what we've been asking for forever?

You and Scorehead?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:47 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

You and Scorehead?

No, all the Score old-timers. Many still don't know he's back on the air, at least, that's what the callers have been saying.

There would be no CSFMB without North.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
I started listening from the first day. I'm a Score old-timer.

I knew he was back.

I wasn't clamoring for his return.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Reared on the Score wrote:
We all know Julie DiCaro is the sassy Anna Kendrick role.

Yeah, if Anna Kendrick was a cow! Amirite!?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Boers gone early next year. So???? Twilight. Hardly. With Cubs coming on board ratings go up up up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:21 pm 

North is back doing what?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:23 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
I started listening from the first day. I'm a Score old-timer.

I knew he was back.

I wasn't clamoring for his return.

What's refreshing about North and has always been true of him is that he tells it like it is. When I was listening three weeks ago after the Vikings game he said something revealing, that the Chicago sports teams try to destroy anyone in the media critical of them. This wasn't always the case, but it's true now. And look how sports coverage has suffered as a result. We get Mark Giangreco and Jim Rose as the TV guys for ABC and NBC and Z.Z. as the Bears beat reporter on the Score.

And North doesn't try to inject any political views into his commentary, where it doesn't belong any way. If Bernstein just stuck with sports he would be an Ace, but he undermines himself continually having to inject his liberal views all the time, even while his partner, Boers, is a closet conservative.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:24 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

Bears post-game show on 97.1 FM for two or three hours.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:29 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Bears post-game show on 97.1 FM for two or three hours.

Oh, that. I forgot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
What made the Score great was the edge it brought. Mac was probably the closest thing to on air at the time. nobody sucked it up for 10 years and hoped for a chance...then came out vanilla, just for fear of losing a chance at a job.

That 88.7? fm thing ...wow...what a fuck up!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:33 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
bigfan wrote:
That 88.7? fm thing ...wow...what a fuck up!

Blown opportunity.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Dignified Rube wrote:

But he needs a partner to talk to, even though he's the one that does most of the talking. It would make the show more entertaining. Can't they find a former Bear to be on with him? What about Urlacher or O.B.?

North and O.B. would be great.

Yup. Rod wanted to bring North back too. North and OB would been a great post game show.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Dignified Rube wrote:
This is pretty much as good as it will ever get as far as the selection of shows for Chicago listeners. You have B&B maybe for a couple more years, then Terry retires. No one in the pipeline who could ever replace him.

It was as good as it gets, several years ago. We've been on a slide ever since. Since when? Since North went solo, causing the breakup of Heavy Fuel Crew & arguably, the Monsters. Although early Boers & Bernstein in the midday slot was good times. What can I say; things get stale after a few years...

North has his fans ( you appear to be one ) but I honestly don't know who else has been clamoring for his return. His Morning Show might have been the epitome of bad radio.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Beebo wrote:
His Morning Show might have been the epitome of bad radio.

A Beebo appearance! True Bored royalty.

I conçur. From what little I have heard from his FSR show, BAD thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
North's ship has left the pier years ago. It's a shame, because a lot of people gave him a number of opportunities. It's a shame none of those worked out.

I'm here almost every day. But I don't always join in the conversations. What can I say; I don't always have opinions worth sharing with the class...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:15 am 

Dignified Rube wrote:
....You have B&B maybe for a couple more years, then Terry retires.

Couple more months

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
North went big time when it became the Mike North show....and EVERYTHING he has tried since is ^The Mike North^...and none of it has worked.

I know North only has a GED but ....do we see the issue yet?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:34 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
bigfan wrote:
North went big time when it became the Mike North show....and EVERYTHING he has tried since is ^The Mike North^...and none of it has worked.

The issue with Mike is that he started to believe his own bullshit. Many people with diplomas and degrees do the same thing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
bigfan wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
scorehead # 84 wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Couple more months

Breaking news?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:07 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
spmack wrote:
scorehead # 84 wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Couple more months

Breaking news?

Not really. Terry has hinted at it many times. I think he retires the end of Dec or Jan. I hope like hell that Mitch doesnt let Berns choose his next co-host.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:34 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Dignified Rube wrote:
You have B&B maybe for a couple more years, then Terry retires.

wait....what? terry has been retired for at least 4-5 years dude, maybe even longer. he just kind of shows up 3 days a week to collect a rather nice check for rubberstamping everything that dan says.... but yeah, other than this technicality terry has been retired for awhile dude. b&b peaked a LONG time ago and we're well into the nadir phase of it.... when terry goes it's going to be as much as a formality as him showing up nowadays, which is sad and all.... but really how often do you have one of those vintage terry moments where you genuinely laugh at some funny shit and go "this guy's my sports radio hero!" ??? maybe once every month or every few weeks? you just get a lot of stammering and half-baked thoughts that are often 1/2 to 2/3 completed before uhhhs and stammerings and circuitous talking which loops back around to what he had originally started to say, which often time ends up being nothing.

that said, for the $$$ he's making you best damn believe i'd be showing up 3 days a week and rubberstamping everything the S.J.W. (SPORTS justice warrior! =) aka FOTS says.... i mean you can't begrudge terry for taking the path of least resistance when he's got such a nice cushy check..... i bet you if he had a bunch more $$$ or the money wasn't THAT good he might have retired years ago, but hey things worked out the way they did and you're not gonna derail that gravy train til you're set and a half.

ALSO, you mention mike north on the drive.... and i confess for the first 5-6 weeks i made it a point to put on NORT, but i always mentally tuned out within ~45mins reiterating my talking point that he needs a cohost badly, specifically some sort of ex-bear with at least a modicum of personality. then after those 5-6 weeks my dad told me that OB is on WGN with hampton for postgames, and when i put on 720 i heard the dulcet tones of OB's voice accompanied by hampton, who goes out there with STRONG TAKES (just like the average dignirube posts, eh?) and backs them up with DA FIRE AND DA PASHIN [for example, he's the show's "cutler guy" out of him/OB/kozlowski]

and hey, to give you an idea... as i was leaving soldier field after the bears/broncos game i put 720 on right away and i got DA FIRE AND DA PASHIN from those 3 guys who were going OFF on the team, and then when fox did his typically smug/smarmy pressure downplaying everything and coming off egotistical kozlowski snapped and called him a jerkoff and hamp cosigned it and OB was ranting and raving in a way that brought me back to the days of OB and doug..... so having listened it for the 2nd half of this season so far, i can tell you that OG+hamp+koz on WGN/720 seriously TRIES to be OB and doug, and hey now that the bear is back in his cage (thank you SHAKE THAT) and he's focusing on just the bears game he watched over the last few hours, hampton is actually good and he works with the format. OB is OB and he does OB and he's chill.... and kozlowski seems to be alright cuz i dont get that kiss the ring yuppie father of the year vibe that i get off of kaplan and waddle and other 720 guys (but maybe since this is postgame and not a regular show i dont get a chance to get that)

so yeah TLDR = WGN/720 has the best postgame show in the post-[doug-n-OB] era..... obviously it'll never be the same thing again, but WGN actively tries to do the same show literally with OB and hampton and koz will have DA FIRE AND DA PASHIN and they'll yell and scream and i've never heard anyone str8up call the coach a jagoff, but hey you know sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade, right?

only other thing that sucks is at the top of the hour and even @ 30 WGN updates are freaking huge and long and no BS 8-10mins.

oh yah last time OB+hamp+koz started and right away they all shat on shea mclellin really quickly and concisely ("what a hell of a job by the defense doing what they did with 10 men on the field, and i'm talking about #50 here") and i was like HALLELULIAH.... PREACH GUYS!!!! cuz they said what i was thinking..... then later i get in an internet argument with a kid who told me to go listen to 670/1000 and listen to ex playrs who know what they talk about cuz shea has been GREAT lately and he's developing into the role nicely and if i say that shea (still) sucks then i clearly don't watch the games and my postgame show is bullshit.

i had to LOL at a ~14-24 year old kid telling ME to go listen to the score or ESPN 1000 postgame.... lol. does ESPN1000 still trot out howard griffith?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:41 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
spmack wrote:
scorehead # 84 wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Couple more months

Breaking news?

to do it without the TLDR, terry has been retired for at least 5 years. maybe as much as like 6-7..... he's not been the radio hero that he was in the first half of the 00s for quite some time.

yeah you get occasional glimmers and flashes of vintage/proper/trying terry, but basically he's there to take the path of least resistance and rubberstamp everything dan says to collect a huge paycheck FOR A JOB HE CAN DO AT HOME ~2 DAYS A WEEK!

hell man, if you told me that terry became a giant pothead over the last 5 years (danny mack knew a guy! ;) and he was getting blazed right b4 showtime and/or on breaks, man, i uh.... you know, in point of fact.... really what i'm saying is, you know uhhhh..... it wouldnt' surprise me at all. not at all. yep. my guy is saying that too.

tho since radio is a medium of familiarity/habit/ritual just losing that ~15yrs of daily presence of a voice on in the fore/back-ground for up to ~3-4hrs/day will be a considerable loss, cuz i'm comfortable and cozy with b&b.... but yeah dude/s, terry has been "retired" for a really long time now.... it's no longer his show..... but he's on that show.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:02 am 

Scorehead wrote:
spmack wrote:
scorehead # 84 wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Couple more months

Breaking news?

Not really. Terry has hinted at it many times. I think he retires the end of Dec or Jan. I hope like hell that Mitch doesnt let Berns choose his next co-host.

Will it be "comfort" or "conflict" that will make the the show (him) more relevant? Is he willing to step out for the sake of a better show or figure it's now his time, and his alone?

Stumble here and more will leave never to return.