It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Can anyone attempt to tell me the appeal of listening to Holmes read other people's essays or articles live on his show? This guy has it figured out apparently...Have a show, usually 1-3 hours, spend the first 45 talking about his weekend/press box stories or vacation he just got back from, then read an article written by someone about a topic he has deemed worthy - roughly 15 minutes or so of the committed indian garbage, then usually play back an interview from Mully and Hanley that has some "really interesting stuff you need to hear". #AskHerb

Easiest radio job in the world. Zero original content.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:27 pm 

You sayin' "Hater Wednesday" is not original???

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:33 pm 

Minooka Meatball wrote:
You sayin' "Hater Wednesday" is not original???

Amended. One original content. Which usually flies off the rails when LARNCE begins to chastise callers about what is or isnt worthy of HATER WEDNESDAY

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:33 pm 

bigfan wrote:

Thank you. Still humbled.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
Can anyone attempt to tell me the appeal of listening to Holmes read other people's essays or articles live on his show? This guy has it figured out apparently...Have a show, usually 1-3 hours, spend the first 45 talking about his weekend/press box stories or vacation he just got back from, then read an article written by someone about a topic he has deemed worthy - roughly 15 minutes or so of the committed indian garbage, then usually play back an interview from Mully and Hanley that has some "really interesting stuff you need to hear". #AskHerb

He also loves to re-play press conferences where nothing is said and then pretend that there were great revelations made. If he reads these articles really slowly with long pauses, the content is really important.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:03 pm 

BD wrote:
SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:

He also loves to re-play press conferences where nothing is said and then pretend that there were great revelations made. If he reads these articles really slowly with long pauses, the content is really important.

"Now, pay special attention to this next part, its really telling..." Thats his go-to all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
How I rank the balck Chicago radio hosts:

1) Tommy Williams
2) J Hood
3) Dan Bernstein
4) Larry Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:45 pm 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
How I rank the balck Chicago radio hosts:

1) Tommy Williams
2) J Hood
3) Dan Bernstein
4) Larry Holmes

None of them are in most observers top 20. However many the "urban" stations may have, all rank higher. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Loho out in my neck of the woods tonight. I thought about stopping at the Bee Hive in St. Charles tonight..for about 1 second. Went to Mr. Samurai for Sushi instead.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:05 am 

the only time he's nearly listenable is when Peanut Tillman calls in for an extended period of time. "nearly listenable" because more often than not, Larry will either act like a fan boy, or flip the urban switch.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:40 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Scorehead wrote:
Loho out in my neck of the woods tonight. I thought about stopping at the Bee Hive in St. Charles tonight..for about 1 second. Went to Mr. Samurai for Sushi instead.

I was sort of out that way and considered it, but I couldn't have stayed long. Maybe next time, we coordinate? I buy you a shot of vodka, you buy me a shot of bourbon, and we go outside and heckle homeless people?