Post subject: Re: Rod Zimmerman fired
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:58 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
What a great morning.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Feder's Article...

In a stunning management shakeup, the longtime boss of CBS Radio Chicago and his top sales director have been forced out in the wake of revenue declines at the seven-station group they headed, sources confirmed Thursday.

Rod Zimmerman, senior vice president and market manager of CBS Radio Chicago and a 38-year veteran of the company, was ousted along with Mark Day, vice president and director of sales for CBS Radio Chicago.

Scott Herman, chief operating officer of CBS Radio, disclosed the moves Wednesday in a meeting with local department managers. He cited the disappointing financial performance of the Chicago group under Zimmerman and Day, according to several of those present.

Herman told the managers he would introduce Zimmerman’s replacement at an all-staff meeting Thursday morning. No immediate replacement for Day is expected to be named.

Zimmerman did not respond to a request for comment, and Day could not be reached.

In Chicago, CBS Radio includes all-news WBBM AM 780 and WCFS FM 105.9; sports/talk WSCR AM 670; Top 40 WBBM FM 96.3; adult album alternative WXRT FM 93.1; country WUSN FM 99.5; and classic hits WJMK FM 104.3.

Insiders said Zimmerman’s fortunes turned when Andre Fernandez succeeded Dan Mason as president of CBS Radio last April. Until then, Zimmerman had weathered the ups and downs of the business here with remarkable durability.

Zimmerman, 63, who joined CBS Radio in 1978, has been vice president and general manager of WBBM Newsradio since 1998. He was promoted to senior vice president and market manager of CBS Radio Chicago in 2003. Before that, Zimmerman headed CBS Radio stations KMOX in St. Louis and WWJ and WJOI in Detroit, and earlier served as general sales manager of WBBM.

Under his tenure, CBS Radio signed a long-term deals for broadcasts rights to Chicago Cubs baseball and Chicago Bears football.

Except for a two-year detour as an account executive for Tribune Media WGN AM 720, Day has worked for CBS Radio sales here since 1998. He was named general sales manager in 2005 and promoted to vice president and director of sales in 2012.

Sales figures for 2015 are not yet public, but in 2014 revenue was down at six of the seven stations under Zimmerman and Day.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:05 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Terry knew this a couple weeks ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:42 am 

Exactly what I was thinking...Bernstein will have an uncomfortable period of learning the new ass to kiss.

Remember that shameful compliment for firing Mac? That is the person who Bernstein really is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:45 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Remember that shameful compliment for firing Mac? That is the person who Bernstein really is.

I wonder if he'll go on the air to thank someone for firing Rod, that little shit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
The radio business hasn't gone down as fast as newspapers, but I think the trend is there. Too many alternatives, and I am not referring to WKQX.

Edit: Should this guy be nervous?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:04 am 

I have no problem with adding Latino talent as long as he/she is passionate about the core American sports. I suspect a lot of recent immigrants are more interested in soccer....

However, there are probably a lot of passionate Latino baseball guys out there. It would be nice to have someone with the perspective of Venezuela or the Dominican at least during baseball season.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:05 am 

denisdman wrote:
The radio business hasn't gone down as fast as newspapers, but I think the trend is there.

Meh, radio's death has been predicted since the day it was born.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Can't wait till he turns the Score into webio

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
badrogue17 wrote:
Can't wait till he turns the Score into webio

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:23 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
denisdman wrote:
The radio business hasn't gone down as fast as newspapers, but I think the trend is there.

Meh, radio's death has been predicted since the day it was born.

My comment was not an opinion. It is a fact. I am not saying it's dead, but it is declining. I looked at CBS' reported financial results for the radio segment. Unfortunately, they are clouded by election results in 2014. Meaning, they saw revenue decline in 2013 over 2012, but a bump in 2014 due to the election advertising. Revenues are back down in 2015 by 6%. Again not completely comparable (see their disclosure below). But think about it logically. Do you or people you know listen to Spotify, Pandora, or XM? Each one of those folks would have listened to traditional AM/FM radio in the past. The market is smaller.

"Local Broadcasting (CBS Television Stations and CBS Radio)
Local Broadcasting revenues of $638 million for the third quarter of 2015 decreased 6% from $680 million in the same prior-year period. CBS Television Stations revenues declined 7% from a year ago, as a result of the benefit to 2014 from the midterm elections and the broadcast of fewer sporting events on CBS in 2015. Growth in affiliate fees partially offset the decline. CBS Radio revenues decreased 6%, reflecting several noncomparable items, including fewer stations and lower political revenues, as well as continued softness in the radio advertising marketplace.
Local Broadcasting operating income for the third quarter of 2015 was down 9% to $174 million from $192 million for the same prior-year period, primarily because of the revenue decline, which was partially offset by the recent cost-cutting measures the Company put in place. "

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:25 am 

Of course it's declining. Everything is declining; the pie has been split up into too many pieces. But I trust that savvy executives know that radio can still distinguish itself not only by being free but by offering proprietary content that the other services can't/won't offer. If they've fired one of radio's most notorious cost-cutters just to bring in an even bigger cost-cutter, then man, I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Of course it's declining. Everything is declining; the pie has been split up into too many pieces. But I trust that savvy executives know that radio can still distinguish itself not only by being free but by offering proprietary content that the other services can't/won't offer. If they've fired one of radio's most notorious cost-cutters just to bring in an even bigger cost-cutter, then man, I don't know.

I eagerly await the day when Eric and Kathy are shown the door.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:27 am 

Quiet, middle manager, I don't have time to get fired. I've gotta get to traffic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I guess "worst-case" is they cut way back on local programming and go to the national broadcast. but really, the local programming is so poor, it's not that great a loss. WSCR is pretty much dead to me. Pie in the sky dream is a third option emerging headed up by someone that has a clue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:32 am 

Just keep an eye (no pun intended) on WFAN. As they go, so will go the Score. If they go national to any appreciable degree, you can be assured the Score will do the same.

With the Cubs on the Score, I wouldn't expect them to devalue the station with satellite programming (give or take weekend overnights).

Last edited by Curious Hair on Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:32 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking...Bernstein will have an uncomfortable period of learning the new ass to kiss.

We need a refresher on this

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:36 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

We need a refresher on this

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=88700&start=150

Read a few pages starting here. Somewhere in there was when Dan thanked Zimmerman for getting rid of Mac to bring in Mannelly.

EDIT:
Curious Hair wrote:
"You need to realize how lucky you are to work for a company that only cares about making money for shareholders." Monetize every long snapper.

Wonder if Rod realizes today.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:42 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

EDIT:
Curious Hair wrote:
"You need to realize how lucky you are to work for a company that only cares about making money for shareholders." Monetize every long snapper.

Wonder if Rod realizes today.

Come on! You couldn't even parody this guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:52 am 

Any changes to WFAN may be a prelude to changes at WSCR. But a good management team will look at each property's individual profit and loss statement. If WFAN has acceptable margins, they would leave it alone. It is pretty easy to tie revenues and expenses to each station since they have direct programming costs (hosts) and direct revenues (advertisers). You plot out each property from top to bottom by total revenues, operating margins, and net income. You start at the bottom and work your way up. What we don't know is where WSCR is on that hierarchy.

Most corporations worry about poorly performing units and leave the good ones alone. They can't micromanage from the top down, so they focus on the weaklings.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Without Googling, I ask a sincere question...

Does WFAN carry anything big? Mets, Yanks, Jets, Giants, Rangers, Islanders..?

I ask because this Cubs thing on WSCR is the biggest "get" for The Score in a while.

You have to think that it may dictate some of the programming here?

Last edited by Godfella on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:09 am 

Godfella wrote:
Without Googling, I as a sincere question...

Oh, just the New York Yankees. They were the Mets' station for years and years before that. I think they have the Nets and/or Devils in the winter. Also, Francesa is a huge deal in New York for reasons no one can understand.

The Islanders are on Hofstra's non-commercial station, even with the move to Brooklyn. It's really quite sad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:12 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Godfella wrote:
Without Googling, I as a sincere question...

Oh, just the New York Yankees. They were the Mets' station for years and years before that. I think they have the Nets and/or Devils in the winter. Also, Francesa is a huge deal in New York for reasons no one can understand.

The Islanders are on Hofstra's non-commercial station, even with the move to Brooklyn. It's really quite sad.

WFAN is also mentioned in every movie or tv show that even relates in sports.

Benny Fazio: How you doing Mr. Leotardo?
Phil Leotardo: I'm sitting there listening to WFAN and I go, isn't it that the kid who used to drive for Tony?
Benny Fazio: I'm on my way to the hospital.
Phil Leotardo: Well that's up to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:04 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I think this could be the end of Larry. His time slot is one that is primed for syndication.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:06 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
WeeKnee wrote:
I think this could be the end of Larry. His time slot is one that is primed for syndication.

I think it's high-time Laurence was syndicated from coast to coast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
WeeKnee wrote:

I think it's high-time Laurence was syndicated from coast to coast.

We've gotta get you some help with this Laurence thing ....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Beggars
I will listen to MH since it's local but unless I'm up for Les the rest of the day is unlistenable and I've switched to AM1000.

Schuster is good when he get's a shift but that's it.

Bernstein & LOHO are beyond brutal.