It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rod Zimmerman fired
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
In all honesty, the only show I would declare safe is M&H as they are so dominant in the ratings. I don't really listen to them as they bore me, but the ratings are solid and that is what matters to CBS. Everyone else there should be ready for the firing squad.

Last edited by WeeKnee on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
G.O.P. wrote:
Yes!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Play the Guillotine Song now, Bernstein, your protection is GONE!!!

I would laugh if someone called in to ask Bernsie to play the guillotine song. Wonder if the big super bowl trip is off?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
WeeKnee wrote:
In all honesty, the only show I would declare safe is M&H as they are so dominant in the ratings. I don't really listen to them as they bore me, but the ratings are solid and that is what matters to CBS.

I agree with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
did slappy and grimace say anything?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:18 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
G.O.P. wrote:

That guy doesn't even look Hispanic. They should make him wear a sombrero.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
B&B are the only interesting non-vanilla sports show in this market. Sorry for having an unpopular opinion but i for one will be very disappointed when B&B breakup or both are gone if removing Rod is the first domino to fall.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:35 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
bigfan wrote:
He is like the Radio Lovie Smith!

He cuts cuts cuts...no proactive moves

Something like that.

Rod did little to expand CBS beyond radio, to a more diversified media presence and platform.
(Think no one is really reading the ramblings of senor columnist.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:
did slappy and grimace say anything?

heh, they were quick to mention the books last week...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:52 am 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
G.O.P. wrote:

He looks like a Spaniard.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Drag's
G.O.P. wrote:

GIVE THIS MAN A CIGAR!

Andre Fernandez, President CBS RADIO

Andre Fernandez was named President of CBS RADIO in April 2015. In this role, Fernandez oversees the direction and all aspects of the day-to-day management of the division, which includes 117 stations in 26 major markets as well as a growing collection of digital assets.

Fernandez was most recently President and Chief Operating Officer of Journal Communications, a publicly traded diversified media company. Named President in 2012 and Chief Operating Officer in 2014, Fernandez was responsible for operational oversight of Journal’s broadcast and publishing segments, as well as a number of corporate functions. He also served as the company’s Chief Financial Officer from 2008-2014.

Prior to Journal, Fernandez held a variety of financial leadership roles at the General Electric Company. Following GE/NBC’s acquisition of the Telemundo Communications Group in 2001, Fernandez was named Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Telemundo, where he helped steer the company to its best financial performance in history. During his tenure, Fernandez also led the acquisitions of Telemundo-RTI Studios and Tepuy International and helped create the Yahoo!Telemundo digital joint venture. Prior to Telemundo, Fernandez held the positions of Chief Financial Officer and Controller of GE Latin America, based in Mexico City; Chief Financial Officer of GE’s Digital Energy business, based in Atlanta; Assistant Treasurer of GE Corporate Treasury and Chief Financial Officer of GE Capital Information Technology Solutions (ITS), both based in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Before joining General Electric, Fernandez was FP&A and Treasury Manager for the United Technologies Corporation in both the U.S. and Brazil. Fernandez began his career on Wall Street, first as a banking associate with Brown Brothers Harriman in New York and then as Assistant Vice President with Merrill Lynch’s emerging markets group in both New York and London. He is fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese.

Fernandez graduated cum laude from Harvard University with a degree in economics. He currently serves on the board of Froedtert Health, an academic medical center and regional hospital system in southeast Wisconsin, where he is Vice Chairman of the Board, Chairman of the Finance Committee and Member of the Leadership Development and Compensation Committee. Additionally, he is an active alumni interviewer for Harvard University. Fernandez was previously on the board of the Television Bureau of Advertising (TVB) and a member of the Greater Milwaukee Committee (GMC).

How does a guy with that background end up in radio? Not a good sign.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:01 pm 

looks like his career started in Sao Paulo...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
G.O.P. wrote:

:lol:

And then have North bring a piñata down that only black listeners can hit after they hug him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:10 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
G.O.P. wrote:

That was a Mike North reference....come on Roz, you of all people should know that!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
G.O.P. wrote:

He looks like a dickish boss from an 80s movie or sitcom.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lugi's of Hong Kong
Great day for those hoping for the demise of the Score King and his band of clones at WSCR.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Let's not forget about the time Rod walked into KMOX, a turnkey operation of a radio station if ever there was one, and fucked everything up by firing everybody and cutting the ad budget.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
From Feder...

CBS Radio has tapped its market manager from Phoenix to succeed Rod Zimmerman as senior vice president and market manager of the company’s seven-station group here.

Tim Pohlman, who has led the Phoenix market for CBS Radio for six years, was introduced to Chicago staffers Thursday hours after news broke here about the ouster of Zimmerman and Mark Day, vice president and director of sales. No replacement for Day was named.
Tim Pohlman

In announcing the appointment, Scott Herman, chief operating officer of CBS Radio said: “Tim’s successful experience with various CBS Radio stations demonstrates a remarkable ability to consistently deliver positive results for the division, our listeners and our customers. He has a clear understanding of our operational vision and is skilled at implementing winning business strategies. Tim is among the best in the industry, and I look forward to welcoming him to the Chicago cluster.”

Pohlman had been managing partner and CEO of Riviera Broadcast Group, where he oversaw stations in Phoenix and Las Vegas, before he rejoined CBS Radio in Phoenix in December 2009. He previously worked for CBS Radio in Los Angeles, and for stations in Washington, D.C., Charlotte, North Carolina, Atlanta, and Dayton, Ohio. He graduated from the University of Dayton.

In Chicago Polman will inherit a blue chip lineup of stations including all-news WBBM AM 780 and WCFS FM 105.9; sports/talk WSCR AM 670; Top 40 WBBM FM 96.3; adult album alternative WXRT FM 93.1; country WUSN FM 99.5; and classic hits WJMK FM 104.3.

He also faces the challenge of revitalizing the sales staff and reversing the revenue declines that reportedly figured in the ousters of Zimmerman and Day.

Here is the text of Zimmerman’s parting message to staff:

By now you have heard I am stepping aside from my role as Market Manager of CBS Radio Chicago. I am not sure what the future holds, but I do know, it’s time to hit the pause button and “smell the roses.” I’m also not sure if the “R” word is correct, I will just have to assess over the next few months. At some point you need to refresh, and after 38 wonderful years at CBS Radio, that time for me is now. Scott Herman and I have been discussing this decision and we felt the timing was right to do this at the beginning of the new year. I am grateful to Scott and everyone at CBS Corporate who over the years have supported me and provided a great environment to work and grow.

I have had the privilege of being the Market Manager here in Chicago for the past 15 years. We’ve had many great accomplishments and really wonderful years. The people working for CBS Radio Chicago are the best in the business and for that I am most proud. I will be watching with great enthusiasm your continued success and growth. Thank you to everyone for your hard work, commitment, passion, and most of all, your friendship over the years.

I’ll be around the office the next couple days cleaning up a few things, so please stop by and say “see you later.”

Rod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

spmack wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
G.O.P. wrote:

That was a Mike North reference....come on Roz, you of all people should know that!!!!!

Just because we worked in the same building, doesn't mean that I actually paid attention.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:46 pm 

Quote:
I guess to become market manager you can't have a full head of hair.

Quote:
I don't think being bald was the reason why Rod Zimmerman was forced out in his roles as V.P. & General Manager of WBBM Newsradio 780 AM/105.9 FM & CBS Radio's local Market Manager. Rod must have done well enough in the eyes (no pun intended) of CBS to earn that title starting in 2003. I know that Zimmerman was one of the power players behind the scenes pertaining to the Bears' long term radio deal with WBBM & the Cubs leaving their longtime home at 720 AM WGN Radio to join the CBS family just last year at both Newsradio 780 AM & starting this season at WSCR 670 AM The SCORE.

I think there will be some on-air staff at the 7 CBS Radio outlets that will also be cut in the coming weeks & months. These budget cuts are far from complete at the broadcast giant.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think being bald was the reason why Rod Zimmerman was forced out

Nobody ever said that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:49 pm 

likely wanted Rod to handle the Cubs deal and THEN give him the ax. gotta love corporate america.

I predict this will not go well for Speigel and Goff

good dolphin wrote:
Goff is fine.

Part time Spiegel may not be.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:50 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

CBS declines his option, signs him at a lower salary to be the "with Jason Goff" of The Dan Bernstein Show with Julie DiCaro and Jason Goff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Curious Hair wrote:

Quote:
I don't think being bald was the reason why Rod Zimmerman was forced out in his roles as V.P. & General Manager of WBBM Newsradio 780 AM/105.9 FM & CBS Radio's local Market Manager. Rod must have done well enough in the eyes (no pun intended) of CBS to earn that title starting in 2003. I know that Zimmerman was one of the power players behind the scenes pertaining to the Bears' long term radio deal with WBBM & the Cubs leaving their longtime home at 720 AM WGN Radio to join the CBS family just last year at both Newsradio 780 AM & starting this season at WSCR 670 AM The SCORE.

I think there will be some on-air staff at the 7 CBS Radio outlets that will also be cut in the coming weeks & months. These budget cuts are far from complete at the broadcast giant.

Not hard to figure out who posted this without even going over there to check :lol: :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Goff is fine.

Talent pricing continues to fall. Everyone is looking at a flat salary, or worse, going forward.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Quote:

Not hard to figure out who posted this without even going over there to check :lol: :roll: :lol:

BITE!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
The station that really needs help is WBBM/105.9. I know they are ratings king but the amount of on air fuck ups has risen dramatically.

Just in the past couple days I've heard numerous 45 second blocks of dead air, "And in sports, the DOW was down ### and NASDAQ down ####", "moving well on the Dan Ryan, 45 minutes out to 95th", "WBBM news time: 13:51", and countless times hosts doing news reads over ads and correspondent segments. I know 24 hour news radio is tough, but they average a fuck up about every 30 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:30 pm 

America wrote:
The station that really needs help is WBBM/105.9. I know they are ratings king but the amount of on air fuck ups has risen dramatically.

Just in the past couple days I've heard numerous 45 second blocks of dead air, "And in sports, the DOW was down ### and NASDAQ down ####", "moving well on the Dan Ryan, 45 minutes out to 95th", "WBBM news time: 13:51", and countless times hosts doing news reads over ads and correspondent segments. I know 24 hour news radio is tough, but they average a fuck up about every 30 minutes.

George Ofman is contagious.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
This is a great move! Longgg overdue.

Mitch is gone next, and then the purge begins. This station could be listenable again in a year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:52 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Goff is fine.

I agree with that, too.

Remember, Spiegs isn't a Mitch Rosen guy. Mac had to fight to get him in.

Rosen was the one who helped Goff get back into CBS good graces, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next