It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Interesting development. Should help Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. Not that they need more help.

SAN ANTONIO — College men’s basketball players who are not seniors will now be able to try out for N.B.A. teams, receive a draft grade and then decide on returning to college — a stark shift from the past, when players had to declare for the draft before the N.B.A. combine and in doing so renounce future college eligibility.

The rule also moves back a month, to late May from late April, the deadline by which players must commit on not returning to college.

The Division I Council approved the change, which is effective immediately, on Wednesday at the annual N.C.A.A. convention. The men’s basketball oversight committee had recommended it.

“This legislation, with help from the N.B.A., will allow student-athletes the opportunity to make informed decisions on their true status as a draft prospect before forfeiting their collegiate eligibility,” Kansas Coach Bill Self said in an N.C.A.A. statement.

Jim Phillips, Northwestern’s athletic director and the Division I Council chairman, said that the change “was driven completely by what was best for the student-athletes.”

The change arose out of discussions between the N.B.A. and several prominent coaches, including Self, working through the National Association of Basketball Coaches. Many observers noted that it would probably make the jobs of those coaches more difficult, because it would delay their knowing how many roster spots needed to be filled for the following season.

The N.B.A. will now invite only several dozen players to the combine, and afterward, in consultation with teams’ front offices, will communicate prospects’ likely draft positions directly to them and their families. Players will have 10 days from the end of the combine to withdraw from the June draft.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/14/sports/basketball/ncaa-to-let-underclassmen-return-to-college-after-trying-out-for-nba.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-4&action=click&contentCollection=Sports&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:23 pm 

Good move.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:25 pm 

Kind of an unrelated question, but can teams draft a player early while they are still in college and the player continues playing NCAA hoops? I know this is how Larry Bird was drafted, but I wasn't sure if the NBA ever changed the rules to prevent this from happening.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:29 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Kind of an unrelated question, but can teams draft a player early while they are still in college? I know this is how Larry Bird was drafted, but I wasn't sure if the NBA ever changed the rules to prevent this from happening.
They cannot.

Though some people want them to do that and let the kids stay in college while getting a check from the NBA team and/or keeping their rights like they do with Europeans. As you can guess, the NBA is not too enthused about that idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:39 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Kind of an unrelated question, but can teams draft a player early while they are still in college? I know this is how Larry Bird was drafted, but I wasn't sure if the NBA ever changed the rules to prevent this from happening.
They cannot.

Though some people want them to do that and let the kids stay in college while getting a check from the NBA team and/or keeping their rights like they do with Europeans. As you can guess, the NBA is not too enthused about that idea.

It would be a good idea if you could do that and hold the money in trust with an executor to distribute money under very strict guidelines. That won't fly but I think it would be a good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:31 pm 

I think this is a great move.

Dolphins idea would be great as well, but will never happen.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:33 pm 

Agreed.

The NBA has all the power though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:34 pm 

This is really what they do in college football and it makes a lot of sense. Colleges can ask for a draft grade on a player - the player and coach review it and make a decision based on this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:36 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
This is really what they do in college football and it makes a lot of sense. Colleges can ask for a draft grade on a player - the player and coach review it and make a decision based on this.
Well, they could do that in basketball too. AJ Hammons did it.

This allows them to go to the combine and try out for teams. I don't believe that is allowed in football or basketball up until now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:44 pm 

Wouldn't it just be simpler if they did a NCAA combine that players who potentially had a draft grade could attend and get a grade afterwards?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
DannyB wrote:
Interesting development. Should help Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. Not that they need more help.

Maybe. But if this makes it more likely that some of these players return to school, will that hurt recruitment of the "one and done" guys? If you're a highly recruited point guard and the current starter at Duke may come back wouldn't you choose another school?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:06 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Wouldn't it just be simpler if they did a NCAA combine that players who potentially had a draft grade could attend and get a grade afterwards?

That's exactly what future Bears LB Reggie Ragland did. He was gauged as a late 2nd round pick last year and as a possible top 10-15 pick this year. Saban said he made $12-14 million by staying. Seems high but possible.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:07 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Maybe. But if this makes it more likely that some of these players return to school, will that hurt recruitment of the "one and done" guys? If you're a highly recruited point guard and the current starter at Duke may come back wouldn't you choose another school?

Possibly, we'll have to see. He's still not going to end up at Northern Iowa or even Butler though.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:09 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
DannyB wrote:

It's actually mostly been the opposite. The top guys want to go to the schools that have basically set themselves up as NBA training centers that play games. Schools that have tried to sell playing time(like mine) have almost always failed to get them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
They cannot.

Paying them is likely a non-starter, but keeping their rights would make things interesting. I could be persuaded to watch an Iowa State game or two if the Bulls had a prospect there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:29 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
They cannot.

Paying them is likely a non-starter, but keeping their rights would make things interesting. I could be persuaded to watch an Iowa State game or two if the Bulls had a prospect there.

Georges Niang is a grindy 6'8" tweener but he has a very sophisticated post-game and could be a system guy for purely scoring purposes off the bench. Monte Morris is a true junior, old school point guard with a decent shot. He might have a better shot than Niang. That's about it. Both are probably 2nd rounders.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
DannyB wrote:
Georges Niang is a grindy 6'8" tweener but he has a very sophisticated post-game

Sounds like a threat to Connor McKnight.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:02 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Georges Niang is a grindy 6'8" tweener but he has a very sophisticated post-game

Sounds like a threat to Connor McKnight.

Ha. Though probably not to far off if the D-league doesn't work out. For a Cablinasian, he's quite articulate.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
NCAA is the fucking worst.

Dont want to ruin the rep of college hoops, while a kid should ruin his life for TRYING OUT.

Should just be if he doesnt make it, come on back. Just like every other kid in college.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:03 am 

bigfan wrote:
NCAA is the fucking worst.

Dont want to ruin the rep of college hoops, while a kid should ruin his life for TRYING OUT.

Should just be if he doesnt make it, come on back. Just like every other kid in college.
That is what they did.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:04 pm 

The NCAA is also allowing high school baseball players to have an agent negotiate for them with major league clubs before enrolling in college without affecting their NCAA eligibility.

It's mighty nice of them to allow families to have some help while dealing with professional negotiators. Of course draft eligible college players don't have this same opportunity but it's the NCAA we're dealing with. Baby steps with these idiots.