PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:21 pm 

Bagels wrote:
https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/698175350854021120

surprise, tracklist changes

No More Parties in LA is on it now

Nice. Its gonna be great

Post subject: Re: The Hip Hop Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:33 pm 

After listening to most of it, it's good.

Great beats, pretty good verses (from Kanye and Guests)

Nothing real groundbreaking but a good album.

I love Kanye is pretty funny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:47 pm 

All good to great reviews with the exception of Greg Kot in the Trib

The Life of Pablo received acclaim from music critics. Rolling Stone's Rob Sheffield dubbed it both a mess and masterpiece: "This is a messy album that feels like it was made that way on purpose [...] West just drops broken pieces of his psyche all over the album and challenges you to fit them together."[61] The A.V. Club's Corbin Reiff opined that "it feels far different from any of the tightly constructed, singular works of West’s past," asserting instead that "as a beautiful, messy, mixed-up collection of 18 songs, it's a brilliant document."[62] Writing for The New York Times, Jon Caramanica stated, "West [...] has perfected the art of aesthetic and intellectual bricolage, shape-shifting in real time and counting on listeners to keep up," concluding that "this is Tumblr-as-album, the piecing together of divergent fragments to make a cohesive whole."[63] In a positive review, Jayson Greene of Pitchfork Media wrote that "a madcap sense of humor animates all [West's] best work, and The Life of Pablo has a freewheeling energy that is infectious and unique to his discography," finding that "somehow, it comes off as both his most labored-over and unfinished album, full of asterisks and corrections and footnotes."[60]

Ray Rahman of Entertainment Weekly deemed it "an ambitious album that finds the rapper struggling to compact his many identities into one weird, uncomfortable, glorious whole [...] Like the man himself, the album is emotional, explosive, unpredictable, and undeniably thrilling."[57] In a mixed review for The Guardian, Alexis Petridis described the album as "at turns, rambling, chaotic, deeply underwhelming, impressively audacious, and completely infuriating," suggesting that "[i]t appears to have had ideas thrown at it until it feels messy and incoherent" despite concluding that "when The Life of Pablo is good, it's very good indeed."[58] The Daily Telegraph's Neil McCormick wrote, "The Life of Pablo is certainly rich in musical scope, chock a block with inspired ideas," but also felt the work to be "so self-involved it crosses over into self-delusion, marked by such a tangible absence of perspective and objectivity it is as if [West] has actually lost sight of the elemental basics of his art."[56] Writing for the Chicago Tribune, Greg Kot felt that "The Life of Pablo sounds like a work in progress rather than a finished album

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:49 pm 

This came out last year but I'd kind of written off Lupe. First song is an insane 8 minute scorcher . I'm halfway thru. This album is great.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:17 am 

New Kendrick album...Giddy up

UNTITLED UNMASTERED REVIEW: KENDRICK LAMAR IS A GENIUS
Kendrick Lamar has surprise-dropped his new album overnight, and it's just extraordinary.

STORY BY
AILIS BRENNAN
Friday 4 March 2016
There are few superlatives that do not fit right with Kendrick Lamar. To Pimp A Butterfly is arguably one of the most original albums of the decade, a remarkably refreshing voice, discovered through an exercise in collage-like ingenuity. Kendrick’s performance at the 2016 Grammy Awards was groundbreaking, and overnight we have been treated to the release of Untitled Unmastered, another extraordinary addition to Kendrick Lamar’s repertoire.

Listen to Kendrick Lamar's Untitled Unmastered on Apple Music and Spotify
The track listing is an understated list of numbers, from "01" to "08". From "01", it is clear we're to expect as much exquisite layering of sounds as we got with To Pimp A Butterfly. A Barry White-style monologue of sweet nothings hints at the surprises to come as he compares the narrator’s sweetheart to a “little lamb”, before the track opens up into a renaissance of Nineties Compton, lyrics charged with biblical allegories and provocations of faith.

Photography by Getty Images
It is in "02" that we catch the first rallying cries of “Pimp Pimp Hooray!” that repeatedly punctuate the album, an epithet for the political cynicism that haunts any celebration of black culture.

MORE MUSIC

Jake Bugg gets gritty in 'Gimme The Love' music video

MUSIC Jake Bugg gets gritty in 'Gimme The Love' music video

Fantastic images from the early days of The Rolling Stones

CULTURE Fantastic images from the early days of The Rolling Stones

Never-before-seen photos of David Bowie on auction in Miami

ART Never-before-seen photos of David Bowie on auction in Miami

Kendrick Lamar steals the Grammys 2016 with unbelievable performance

CULTURE Kendrick Lamar steals the Grammys 2016 with unbelievable performance

The album takes us through countless musical ideas, each weaved into a tapestry of black music since the Twenties. On "04" you'll hear a flamenco guitar under a booming, echoing voice, amplified to the point of distortion. On "03", there's a politically charged homage to soft funk, clattered by the punchy hook: “I shall enjoy the fruits of my labour if I get freed today.” We drown in "05"’s funk-laden as Kendrick contemplates his distance from the church in a blistering, wrenching, breathless verse. "06" is a Cuban-infused spinning top, and "07" is a three-movement memory of his Compton origins. In "08", we can’t help but dance until Kendrick reminds us in its penultimate movement, “Bitch I made my moves with shackled feet.”

What makes Kendrick’s process so special is his mastery of sound and his ability to use any musical reference to achieve his aims. Anything goes, so long as you know where, and how, and why.

Kendrick reclaims jazz from its intellectualised pedestal and repurposes it with reference to its origins: an expression of black culture in a transformative period for black history. Kendrick Lamar is the most coherent voice representing the contemporary state of black America, and this is his loudest speech.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:23 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
link, for your pleasure

https://www.sendspace.com/file/rhp84y

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:50 am 

Profoundly Wack College Students Get Action Bronson Disinvited From Campus Concert

Action Bronson, a weed-smoking teddy bear who also enjoys rhyming and food, has been disinvited from a planned concert at Trinity College, after students got more than 1,000 signatures on an online petition asking for him to be removed. The petition says that inviting him “is an endorsement of violence, specifically against women and minorities(??)” and that “Allowing Action Bronson to perform at Spring Weekend would create a psychologically harmful and drastically unsafe space for women, LGBTQIA+ students, and survivors of sexual assault.” It also hilariously calls him a “bodybuilder” (he used to powerlift but now could best be described as “short and fat”) and warns that “It only takes one person to drunkenly (or soberly) upset Action Bronson by getting on stage, or in his way, for him to violently assault someone. The available evidence suggests men specifically are targeted by Action Bronson, meaning no one is given a safe space at a Bronson concert.”

Damn.

Last night, the school officially disinvited him, saying that “The very act of bringing him to this campus runs counter to the College’s obligation to protect the emotional and physical safety of its students.” Just weeks ago, George Washington University disinvited Action Bronson from performing there for similar reasons.

We are all thankful that the risk of Action Bronson coming to Trinity’s campus, spewing hateful rhetoric and violently assaulting both the men and women of the student body has been averted. But the dangers posed by rappers are ever-present. In the future, the university powers-that-be should consult this list when seeking out appropriate—and safe—campus acts.

Hamilton NolanHamilton@Gawker.com@hamiltonnolan
Senior Writer, Gawker.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
during my siesta from the board i happened to encounter the best new rap song i've heard in the last few years..... and it's from a hamburger helper mixtape! i shit you not guys this track is legit fire because that metaphor isn't just golden, it's some hybrid of adamantium + unobtanium topped off with a little bacteria from katy perry's vagina just so it could say it has that in there too.

Hamburger Helper - Feed The Streets (prod. DEQUEXATRON X000 Bobby Raps & DJ Tiiiiiiiiiip)

don't sleep cuz this track is 2mins of pure fist-in-the-air FUCK YEAH!!! i always lose it when dude kicks back like KEEP THAT HEAT ON ME...... =]