It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Dave Miska @thedavemiska
Tune in to @670TheScore now! @LaurenceWHolmes has a special show on the making of an NFL QB... They worked hard on this and it's riveting.

------------------------------------------

Is this another 'Award winning" show?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:
Dave Miska @thedavemiska
Tune in to @670TheScore now! @LaurenceWHolmes has a special show on the making of an NFL QB... They worked hard on this and it's riveting.

LOL it must be for Comedy Central. Leery is too dumb to work hard for anything other than an EEOC show.

He's a dumbfuck and I am sure this clown show will prove it.

------------------------------------------

Is this another 'Award winning" show?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
I heard him pimping this over and over. Was it all it was cracked up to be and more? Though I'm not in the target audience. I don't give a shit about the Bears QB. Hell, I don't give two shits about the NFL from January-September anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:23 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
B&B pimped this last night because Larry was in the studio with his crew on a day off. Working on a special project.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:00 pm 

Has the score started the "Bears only" mock draft yet?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

Yeah. I heard Larry pimping it during tranny. Then I turned on the TV for the Trump and OJ bullshit.

So Larry is gonna figure out how to scout a good QB. When the answer is "Nobody knows". More top 10 1st round QBs are busts than are good. And this will always be the case. So, no matter how much research or interviews Larry does, the answer is now and will always be "Nobody really knows".

I did laugh when Larry said he intervied Zack and Hub for this "How to scout a QB" special. Cuz lord knows Zack and Hub are experts on this. :lol:

But Leary did say to Bernstein that he and his staff worked veary, veary, veary hard on this and he was really, really, really excited. That's when I clicked it off and turned on the TV.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Good for Laurence trying to do special features. Always thought the Score should try doing longform interviews in the late hours, like an Extension 720 for sports. Wouldn't be enough guests to do it more than once a week, though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
A prepared host on SCR? Get the fuck out of here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:53 pm 

A prepared Score host is usually like a prepared piano: full of crap, making odd noises.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:05 am 
1000 CLUB

True. They prepared for something. But only because of the Illinois game yesterday where none of them had to do a show. Probably convinced Mitch to pay them for the prep time since there was no show.

Still, either way, they tried something. Just the wrong subject as I said earlier. The answer is "nobody knows".

I for one would like Larry to do 2 hours on "Race in sports radio, the hidden truth of it." :shock:

Something cool like that. He can interview Goff and North to get both perspectives.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:36 am 

If Mitch isn't too busy chiseling Norm Winer's face into the middle of an odd-numbered Mount Rushmore, maybe he should have an initiative to do special programming in evenings that aren't preempted by play-by-play. Of course, those will be few and far between once the Cubs are back in season, but that's all the more reason to devote what few hours are left to anything more thought-provoking than open phone lines for a Bernstein clone muttering about what a gross imposition it is to have to go on the fucking radio. The Score wants to be the "smart station" but isn't willing to put in the effort to be that. Maybe this could be that. I'll mock Sir for lots of things, but not the fact that he cares about radio and tries hard at it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:49 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
There are apparently seven (?!?) -- I really hope I misheard that -- parts to this. I heard Laurence selling it pretty hard and then heard a few minutes of it before turning it off. A woman who is part of his show, whose name I do not know, did the introductions for each guest/expert who participated. She read the introductions in the stiff, awkward manner in which athletes with no broadcast training or experience behind a microphone often read commercial copy. IIRC Wannstedt was first, and I changed the station while he was talking to see what else was on. When I flipped back to 'SCR she was introducing Zach Zaidman who gave us the ground-breaking insight that it's really important for an NFL quarterback to be able to read defenses and make good decisions.

As I've said in the past, I give Laurence credit for trying to be prepared and for putting effort into things when it's apparent that other shows on the station do not. However, I think the results are usually bad and Laurence selling these things as though they're the most important things you're ever going to hear in your life doesn't help.

Based on what I heard, the production values sounded like something from a H.S. or community college project (kind of like the open to his show) and the information given probably isn't anything that someone who follows the NFL doesn't already know.

After hearing the portion I did, Miska saying "They worked hard on this and it's riveting." does come across as sarcastic.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:56 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
A prepared Score host is usually like a prepared piano: full of crap, making odd noises.

Let's define a "prepared host" v "The guy who thinks he is making news" in this case. I could only imagine the first 15 minutes of "HIS" show when he tried to stress the importance and seriousness of this show. LOL.....

Here is a suggestion. ENTERTAIN ME CLOWN!

Would rather hear 1 hour of Mac doing sports jeoprady than a Leary "Special Report"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
bigfan wrote:
I could only imagine the first 15 minutes of "HIS" show when he tried to stress the importance and seriousness of this show. LOL.....

I'll take the over.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:39 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
bigfan wrote:
I could only imagine the first 15 minutes of "HIS" show when he tried to stress the importance and seriousness of this show. LOL.....

I'll take the over.

It was something that I noticed when I did listen to B&B, then tranny and I felt like it was 6:45 PM when leary would stop talking and say ...OK, we will be right back and start the show? and I figured he spent 25 minutes...."not starting the show???""

As I listen to the Score right now....and I hear National CBS radio....cant imagine that they have such a lack of personality that no air time is considered for anyone?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:40 pm 

More like a lack of money.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:52 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
More like a lack of money.

You still need an engineer in house, even while this feed is going on.

How much more do you think a producer and Joe O costs for 5 hours? $600?

Think its laziness, lack of people. Some going out to Arizona right now....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:52 pm 

....and maybe the National is just better?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:59 pm 

bigfan wrote:
How much more do you think a producer and Joe O costs for 5 hours? $600?

$600 more than the bird. Plus, NYC bean-counters are surely swift to tell affiliates they didn't start the network for people to not carry it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
bigfan wrote:
As I listen to the Score right now....and I hear National CBS radio....cant imagine that they have such a lack of personality that no air time is considered for anyone?

Yeah, you'd think that in a market like Chicago, you'd want to use weekends to field-test fresh talent and pairings, like a wrestling promotion uses house shows and dark matches to test out storylines.

Did Mitch get rebuked by Network brass for the Julie DiCaro Experiment last month, and is now timid to run with anything other than tried-and-true weekly-ish shows like Hit And Run over National CBS stuff?

And that national stuff, boy is the epitome of vanilla tofu sports radio. Bleh.

C'mon Mitch, find some local talent and give 'em a couple hundred each, they'll fill 5 hours of Saturday air time for you, easy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:41 pm 

I'd like to think they'll go live/local once Cubs season starts and there's an interest in keeping people listening, which some WFAN flunky ill-equipped for a national show won't do. But if CBS is indeed getting the For Sale sign out, I can see them being ruthless in cutting costs. They're now running a music station without a program director and no one seems to think this is a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tad Queasy wrote:
There are apparently seven (?!?) -- I really hope I misheard that -- parts to this.

Parts 1-4 are on the podcasts page.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/670-t ... nterviews/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:18 pm 

Reared on the Score wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
There are apparently seven (?!?) -- I really hope I misheard that -- parts to this.

Parts 1-4 are on the podcasts page.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/670-t ... nterviews/

VERY IMPORTANT

Radio HOF stuff happening...

Now we know why they cant afford Weekend staff....the money was spent on this special!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
I'd like to think they'll go live/local once Cubs season starts and there's an interest in keeping people listening, which some WFAN flunky ill-equipped for a national show won't do. But if CBS is indeed getting the For Sale sign out, I can see them being ruthless in cutting costs. They're now running a music station without a program director and no one seems to think this is a problem.

I caught "Moose and Molly"? this morning before 8:00.

They had an interview with the guy below. Some of the best NBA talk on that station in the last decade.