It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Schuster...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
I may be on an island here, but I enjoy Schuster. Sure, he mispronounces simple words, but he's very engaging and actually lets the callers talk. He even has an actual conversation with them. Imagine that, taking calls without being a total asshat.

I especially enjoyed his conversation this afternoon with Rich King. Sad state that a Sunday afternoon/evening show would be more enjoyable than the assembly line of suck that we're subjects to throughout the week.

Post subject: Re: Schuster...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:35 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Schuster is old school Score, when the callers were more important than twitter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

Peoria Matt wrote:
Schuster is old school Score, when the callers were more important than twitter.

And more important than a feeble attempt at making yourself sound intelligent...paging Dr. Berns and clones.

I've always liked Schuster.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Count me in as another guy who came to appreciate the Schumouse as the years went by and the makeup of the Score changed drastically.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:43 pm 

Good point, Mr. Reason.

We should all get together and watch Jeopardy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Count me in as another guy who came to appreciate the Schumouse as the years went by and the makeup of the Score changed drastically.

He just hosts a sports show, a novel concept in the current Score climate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

Peoria Matt wrote:
Good point, Mr. Reason.

We should all get together and watch Jeopardy.

Nah, Jeopardy just makes me try to remember all the things I've forgotten all in the form of a goddamn question.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Was he part of Sports Phone back in the early 80's too? Wow I am getting old....Dave schuster?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
He's got common sense which is entirely lacking in most of the other hosts.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

IMissMyHair wrote:
Was he part of Sports Phone back in the early 80's too? Wow I am getting old....Dave schuster?

Yes, he was along with Fred Huebner and Shorty George. Getting old is better than the alternative.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hatchetman wrote:
He's got common sense which is entirely lacking in most of the other hosts.

I would say common decency.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I dunno about that. He gets all pissy if somebody disagrees with him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hatchetman wrote:
I dunno about that. He gets all pissy if somebody disagrees with him.

I think you have him mixed up with Murph, who I also like.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Mr. Reason wrote:
IMissMyHair wrote:

Yes, he was along with Fred Huebner and Shorty George. Getting old is better than the alternative.

Oh those 976 numbers back then! Good thing the boss was into calling it also!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
He always sounds like hes smarter than everyone else. No wonder Reason likes him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Dickman's
I enjoy evy show that he hosts.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
+1 Schu from me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Much smarmy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:31 pm 

Edward Dickman wrote:
I enjoy evy show that he hosts.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Yeah, he's a good listen. I love how he always messes up the cliches. He said to Rich King about going from TV to radio and back to TV "you've come full cycle". It's "full circle" Schu. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Franky T wrote:
Yeah, he's a good listen. I love how he always messes up the cliches. He said to Rich King about going from TV to radio and back to TV "you've come full cycle". It's "full circle" Schu. :lol:

he gets that one wrong evey time

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:31 pm 

I really would like someone on that station that I would actually look forward to listening to. Or conversely, at least not someone who automatically makes me ptfb.

I rarely listen on weekends after 9am & doubt that I've ever heard him for extended time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

billypootons wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Just keep picking nits. It's obvious you dint listen tonight. Schu is the evey man that the Score needs to combat clones that occupy evey other time slot on the Score.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Mr. Reason wrote:
billypootons wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Just keep picking nits. It's obvious you dint listen tonight. Schu is the evey man that the Score needs to combat clones that occupy evey other time slot on the Score.

i enjoyed the eveyman call from the welder sox fan bitching about how sox fans are not showing up to games... of course he was at work today until 5 so thats why he couldnt go... he was kind enough to admit he'd had a few beers... pretty impressive for only having been off work for an hour. If only the score had all meatball all the time.. it would be glorious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Schuster is fine in small doses, better hosting if he has a co-host. He can also digress into movies and food for a couple of minutes and not sound like a dumbass.

If the Cubs ever win the World Series, the Score could do worse than having Schuster host the coverage that night along with Grote.

He's also somehow still a fan even though he has to cover all these teams. I heard him for 5 minutes tonight, and he was talking about how great hockey Games 7s are. He really sounded like he was considering driving down to St. Louis on his own dime for Game 7 and sit in the press box.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Regular Reader wrote:
I rarely listen on weekends after 9am & doubt that I've ever heard him for extended time.

He rarely, rarely hosts. If he does, it's usually holiday fill-in or the 10pm-midnight rump slot of doom.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

billypootons wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
billypootons wrote:
Franky T wrote:

i enjoyed the eveyman call from the welder sox fan bitching about how sox fans are not showing up to games... of course he was at work today until 5 so thats why he couldnt go... he was kind enough to admit he'd had a few beers... pretty impressive for only having been off work for an hour. If only the score had all meatball all the time.. it would be glorious

Just fans talking to fans...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
billypootons wrote:

That was great. I knew when the goof was saying it that he hadn't gone to a game himself.

Also, the DH calls were great. I loved the Cub fan callers that hate the DH because the Cub pitchers are "great" hitters. I guess they don't watch the Lester games. And there aren't pitchers who are "great" hitters. Arrieta is about a .160 career hitter. Schuster was wrong when he said Zambrano was .200. He's actually .238 and I know that off the top of my head. I've had this conversation many times before. Rick Rhoden was supposed to be "great". He's .238 also. Now, Wes Ferrell was actually pretty good. .280 for a long career. Terry Forster is .400 for his career, limited at-bats though. Walter Johnson was a .235 hitter but he actually hit .430 in 100 at-bats near the end of his career. The best hitting pitcher ever was George Uhle, .289 for his career. Watching pitchers hit pretty much sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Dickman's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
billypootons wrote:

That was great. I knew when the goof was saying it that he hadn't gone to a game himself.

Also, the DH calls were great. I loved the Cub fan callers that hate the DH because the Cub pitchers are "great" hitters. I guess they don't watch the Lester games. And there aren't pitchers who are "great" hitters. Arrieta is about a .160 career hitter. Schuster was wrong when he said Zambrano was .200. He's actually .238 and I know that off the top of my head. I've had this conversation many times before. Rick Rhoden was supposed to be "great". He's .238 also. Now, Wes Ferrell was actually pretty good. .280 for a long career. Terry Forster is .400 for his career, limited at-bats though. Walter Johnson was a .235 hitter but he actually hit .430 in 100 at-bats near the end of his career. The best hitting pitcher ever was George Uhle, .289 for his career. Watching pitchers hit pretty much sucks.

Doesn't fhe DH make the game much less complex?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
he's a pud...early in the year he said the Bulls were Roses team ...a month and a half ago the Bulls could beat the Raptors in a playoff series....both wrong

I'm out.