It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
MRI scheduled for Thursday.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Chus wrote:

With all the MRI suggestions on the board, it's nice to see someone taking action.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:04 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Chus wrote:

With all the MRI suggestions on the board, it's nice to see someone taking action.

:lol:

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Game firmly in the shitter. Gone from hitting 60-70% of fairways to 20% in a week. Putts over 36 every round.

Have gone from a consistent par-bogey golfer to a bogey-par golfer.

So frustrated and upset that I didn't even play yesterday. Had no desire.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Beautiful weather both mornings. Shot 78-77. Yesterday I tried to hit the driver for the first time in two weeks.
Only swung it twice but hit it ok with the new adjusted 3/4 swing. Played very solid yesterday but finished +4
the last four holes to stumble home with two water balls on two separate holes. Bone must be healing quickly.
Feeling confident I will be back to full swing by July 4th, maybe even next weekend. I took a decent divot on
#17 tee yesterday on accident and was thankful to see that the thumb was still intact.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
T-Bone wrote:
Beautiful weather both mornings. Shot 78-77. Yesterday I tried to hit the driver for the first time in two weeks.
Only swung it twice but hit it ok with the new adjusted 3/4 swing. Played very solid yesterday but finished +4
the last four holes to stumble home with two water balls on two separate holes. Bone must be healing quickly.
Feeling confident I will be back to full swing by July 4th, maybe even next weekend. I took a decent divot on
#17 tee yesterday on accident and was thankful to see that the thumb was still intact.

I'm guessing the "accidental divot" was one of the water balls? :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:05 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I'm guessing the "accidental divot" was one of the water balls? :P

Both water balls were tee shots with the driver. Took the divot with an 8 iron on a par 3 that had green which is very narrow and shallow.
Wasn't even thinking about it, just knew I needed a higher ball flight. Got lucky.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:11 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
95 at Ravisloe on Friday. Took my Dad for Fathers Day, the course and greens were in excellent shape. I love playing twilight, the sunset always makes the course look great. Got to play 4 extra holes as well as there was virtually nobody out there as we concluded our round. I parred 2 and bogeyed 2 of the extras. I am hitting my irons further than ever, which I am not used to and thus is costing me strokes as I'm hitting them too far sometimes. Carried a 7iron almost 160 yards out of the rough (could have had a flier) into OB behind a green, on a par 3 that was 175 to the pin, I carried the green which means I hit a 5iron close to 200 yards. Yet on another par 3 that was about 180 to the middle, I hit a 4iron and was short of the green.

Did not drive it very well on the back as I put 3 balls OB left with the driver, which is very odd for me. Usually my miss with that club is a slice. I putted very well though. Only one three putt, and SEVEN one putts, but unfortunately none were for birdie and four of them were for a 6! Stupid game. For the second week in a row, lost balls really hurt my score.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:43 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Finally feel like the lessons are taking hold. Walked a quick nine last evening after work and shot a 47. Would have been much better if the greens weren't so weird. They weren't soaked by any means and didn't look strange but they were the slowest I ever played. I could have shot the ball out of a gun and it would roll 5 feet max.

One 300 yard drive (no idea where that came from) and two bogeys on very long par 5's (550 and 590) made me happy. Also impressed with improved iron play. I consistently hit them straight and on approaches I was 5-10 yards past the green. Need to go to what normal should be and step back an iron number or two.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:08 am 

pittmike wrote:
Finally feel like the lessons are taking hold. Walked a quick nine last evening after work and shot a 47. Would have been much better if the greens weren't so weird. They weren't soaked by any means and didn't look strange but they were the slowest I ever played. I could have shot the ball out of a gun and it would roll 5 feet max.

One 300 yard drive (no idea where that came from) and two bogeys on very long par 5's (550 and 590) made me happy. Also impressed with improved iron play. I consistently hit them straight and on approaches I was 5-10 yards past the green. Need to go to what normal should be and step back an iron number or two.

Sounds like great progress

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I'm finally getting out for the first time tomorrow. Its an outing so my terrible rusty play will be alleviated by the fact that we dont need to use any of my shots hahaha.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:30 am 

pittmike wrote:

I'm gonna guess your imagination? :lol:

Or had to be severely downhill and down wind cause I doubt you (or 99% of the people who golf) could get it anywhere close to 300. I think I've only seen a couple 300 yard drives from amateurs in my life and those guys were low single digit handicaps. Heck, those guys might not have even hit it 300. Tbone, talking about your scramble buddies, do they get it out 300+?

Great to hear the lessons are helping! 47 is good, means you aren't far away from the 80s.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:48 am 

shakes wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I think I've only seen a couple 300 yard drives from amateurs in my life and those guys were low single digit handicaps. Heck, those guys might not have even hit it 300. Tbone, talking about your scramble buddies, do they get it out 300+?

I don't play with those guys any longer but occasionally there would be a 300+ drive. So many factors to take into account including how hard the ground is. Anyone who
can hit the ball 250 yards could theoretically hit it 300 if conditions are just right.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:56 am 

T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I think I've only seen a couple 300 yard drives from amateurs in my life and those guys were low single digit handicaps. Heck, those guys might not have even hit it 300. Tbone, talking about your scramble buddies, do they get it out 300+?

I don't play with those guys any longer but occasionally there would be a 300+ drive. So many factors to take into account including how hard the ground is. Anyone who
can hit the ball 250 yards could theoretically hit it 300 if conditions are just right.

yea I had one at Schaumburg that rolled out to 320 a couple years. Huge wind at my back, hit a draw and the ball landed perfectly on down slope and rolled out on hard fairway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I'm with shakes in that MANY claims re: 300 yd. drives are dubious at best. It's simple physics and it takes a very high swing speed. Using hole yardage and subtracting distance remaining to green is not a proper way to determine drive distance. I've seen T-Bone go 300+ before and more than a few young bucks that lack a spinal column with ridculously wide takeaways that go 300+ routinely.

-Hank Kingsley

Last edited by Furious Styles on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:38 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Oh I am sure there was a miraculous divine intervention on the conditions. Roll too that I could not see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:14 pm 

I was thinking about this the other day and when I started really getting into golf in the late 80s the long drivers were hitting it 280-285.
John Daly lead the PGA Tour in Driving Distance 1991-93 and 1995-98 and only averaged over 300 one of those years. When he exploded
onto the scene and everyone thought he was crazy long he was averaging 290 yards. Now the top guys are averaging over 310 a drive.
When I watched the US Open guys were CARRYING it 300 yards on certain tees. Incredible.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:59 pm 

shakes wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Or had to be severely downhill and down wind cause I doubt you (or 99% of the people who golf) could get it anywhere close to 300. I think I've only seen a couple 300 yard drives from amateurs in my life and those guys were low single digit handicaps. Heck, those guys might not have even hit it 300. Tbone, talking about your scramble buddies, do they get it out 300+?

I have hit quite a few 300 yd drives.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
is it time to upgrade the clubs?

i've been swinging ping eye2's...the same clubs the last 16 years. my woods are callaway ft3's. outfitted with xflex prolite shafts. 1,3,5.

does it really matter?

i golf about 5-10 rounds a year. as of the last 7 rounds, my handicap is a 17.

i hit them fine i guess but just not far. i drive 280-300 but hit my 8 iron 135 and 4 iron 190. i feel like i should hit them farther.

i was 6'0" 16 years ago and remain that height.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:01 pm 

hnd wrote:

i've been swinging ping eye2's...the same clubs the last 16 years. my woods are callaway ft3's. outfitted with xflex prolite shafts. 1,3,5.

does it really matter?

i hit them fine i guess but just not far. i drive 280-300 but hit my 8 iron 135 and 4 iron 190. i feel like i should hit them farther.

I always felt when I used Ping Eye2's that whatever method they used for correction to straighten out shots sapped the hell out of distance. They always felt dead to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:12 pm 

Chus wrote:
shakes wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I'm sure you think you have.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:19 pm 

hnd wrote:

does it really matter?

yep, definitely time for some new sticks..just don't go crazy since you only play 5-10 rounds per year.

Also, as the resident driving distance policeman of this thread I feel obligated to mention that there's no way you drive the ball 280-300 yards. I'd bet Scorehead's money on that. A 17 index who hits his 8 iron 135 isn't driving the ball the same distance as Jordan Spieth.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:18 pm 

hnd wrote:

does it really matter?

There is a bit of a market for the old Ping Eye 2's. Put them on ebay and I'll bet you'd get a few bucks for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:26 pm 

Back-to-back DeKalb Chamber of Commerce play day champions. Not like it's great accomplishment, but it is always nice to win!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Played Villa Olivia today (for free!). Went 62-46, putting was an fucking atrocity. Drives were pretty decent for me: 300-330 in general depending on wind.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Walked 9 holes at Carriage Greens today after work. Grabbed a sweet $14 deal on Golf Now for 18 holes, but the course was packed so I bolted at the turn.

First round in about a month and first since moving. Shot a solid 41 with a birdie and a short bogey train that was infuriating. Recent storms made the course soft and receptive, but fairways hadn't been mowed in days.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:51 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
This 300 yard drive thing is getting carried away. Ive probably had a small handful of them in my golf career, but 330? There sre pros that cat even reach that on thier best day.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:54 am 

shakes wrote:
Chus wrote:
shakes wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I'm sure you think you have.

I absolutely have. I don't average 300, but I have hit some that went that long. You can track your drive if the cart has GPS. Surely, you know this.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

Listen up kids,

I've been around many good amateur players in my day and I can count the number who have averaged greater than 275 off the tee on one hand. Take into account course conditions and fairway grass length... you're not going to see many 300 yard drives in this area. Odds are someone who tells you they can routinely get it out there over 300 actually cannot.

There are currently 23 PGA Tour pros who average over 300 yards off the tee. These are guys who work with swing coaches and physical trainers every day to optimize launch conditions and equipment specifications to achieve those numbers. Plus, they play on fairways that are similar in length to the greens at your local municipal course. Most carry the ball 270-280 and get at least 30 additional yards of roll.

I've played golf for over 20 years and have been privileged to work with some of the best instructors in the state. I'm hitting the ball further with my driver now than ever before, and I can only carry it 250. Throw in a soft fairway and long grass length and I'm lucky if I get 10 yards of additional roll. There are readers in this thread who can attest to the above.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

Chus wrote:
I absolutely have. I don't average 300, but I have hit some that went that long.

I've seen it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next