Poll ended at Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:11 pm
Romney 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Huckabee 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
McCain 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I voted for McCain...I think it's slipping away for Romney, and this loss will be the nail in his presidential coffin. With a Romney loss, that would leave the door wide open for Rudy, who is banking on Iowa and New Hampshire solving nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:52 am 
1000 CLUB

McCain is winning in most polls, and he SHOULD win NH. The only shot Romney would have is that Obama takes nearly all independents, which makes it a true Republican primary since McCain also attracts independents.

Romney, with an expected loss, will stay in the race because he has lots of money to throw around, but he will clearly failed in his strategy of winning Iowa/NH, and then riding that momentum along with his cash reserves to victory in other states. His last stand will be Michigan, but I don't think he'll win there if he can't get NH. He'll stay in until after Feb 5th, but he'd be against the wall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:26 am 
1000 CLUB

BD wrote:
His last stand will be Michigan, but I don't think he'll win there if he can't get NH.

He's from Michigan and his Dad was governor of Michigan. If he can't win that he is officially toast. If he places second tomorrow and wins Michigan he's still alive, but not going to win the nomination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I voted Huckabee cause I heart huckabee.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
In my eyes it's really a 2 man race for the nomination between McCain and Romney.

Giuliani is still up in many key states including Floriday, but I agree - McCain has huge momentum right now. Just saw a combined poll. He's now pulled ahead of Giuliani nationwide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

NSJ wrote:
BD wrote:
His last stand will be Michigan, but I don't think he'll win there if he can't get NH.

He's from Michigan and his Dad was governor of Michigan. If he can't win that he is officially toast. If he places second tomorrow and wins Michigan he's still alive, but not going to win the nomination.

I think NH is his last stand based on his campaign strategy, and if he loses there by a decent/wide margin, he'll probably lose Michigan because he'll slide despite the state being to his advantage with his dad. A loss tomorrow puts his campaign on life support, I think it will cost him the rest of the early primaries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Romney won the Wyoming caucus the other day but I don't think anyone noticed. I thought delegates were delegates. I was watching the debate last night and he never mentioned it. Is Fred Thompson dead? What is Rudy running for? President of 9/11? In my eyes it's really a 2 man race for the nomination between McCain and Romney.

I think Romney was the only candidate to visit there, and it seems to have no impact on the nomination. Even Romney wasn't congratulating himself.

Fred Thompson hasn't campaigned much in NH. He is putting his final stand in South Carolina.

Rudy is a one issue person. If you're voting for him, it's most likely for foreign policy, not his more moderate social stances.

I think we're looking at a person race with Rudy, McCain and Huckabee, with Huckabee the likely VP if he loses for either Rudy or McCain as he brings out the Christian Conservatives, and keeps a lot of the Southern States in order for the Republicans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

NSJ wrote:
Nas wrote:
In my eyes it's really a 2 man race for the nomination between McCain and Romney.

Giuliani is still up in many key states including Floriday, but I agree - McCain has huge momentum right now. Just saw a combined poll. He's now pulled ahead of Giuliani nationwide.

I believe Rudy is still leading in 18 of the 20 states coming up on Feb 5th, and what's happening right now is a best case scenario for Rudy - the early primaries are being split with Huckabee in Iowa, and McCain likely in NH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

No big surprise, McCain takes NH rather easily, and extremely early - only 12% of precincts were reported by it was projected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:13 pm 

As someone who normally considers himself a democrat, I would vote for McCain over anyone else in these elections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Looks like Hillary might pull off a huge upset on the other side. Somebody once said "don't believe the hype".

Long way to go, but this is starting to get interesting.

36% in - 40 to 36 Hillary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
Things are breaking well for Rudy, IMO (these may be rose-colored glasses.) He needs the race to remain as competitive as possible, with Huckabee being his main competition. A Romney win in Michigan with a Huckabee win in South Carolina would break perfectly for him, but he needs to win Florida. If he wins Florida and goes into Super Tuesday strong, he's still the guy to beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

Irish Boy wrote:
Things are breaking well for Rudy, IMO (these may be rose-colored glasses.) He needs the race to remain as competitive as possible, with Huckabee being his main competition. A Romney win in Michigan with a Huckabee win in South Carolina would break perfectly for him, but he needs to win Florida. If he wins Florida and goes into Super Tuesday strong, he's still the guy to beat.

I still agree with this, but like the Hillary campaign, we're seeing a lot of the political strategists dogging Rudy.

Rudy HAS to get Florida, so if I'm him, I'm campaigning every second down there with Huckabee hanging around in this race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Irish Boy wrote:
Things are breaking well for Rudy, IMO (these may be rose-colored glasses.)

:shock:

Is Rudy your preffered candidate? I never pictured you as a Rudy guy

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:45 pm 

I've been a Rudy guy from the beginning, but I'm not dogmatic about it, and I have no issues with McCain. I might hold my breath for Romney or Clinton, and I won't vote for Huckabee, Obama, or Edwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:55 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
I've been a Rudy guy from the beginning, but I'm not dogmatic about it, and I have no issues with McCain. I might hold my breath for Romney or Clinton, and I won't vote for Huckabee, Obama, or Edwards.

What is your reasoning for liking Rudy? I personally am more conservative than liberal, but this year I prefer Obama. I dont know alot of people who are in favor of Rudy, and certainly none that are strongly in favor of him. Seems like you can go off on a several paragraph tangent on a variety of things, so i would be interested to hear why you think he would be the best next President of the United States.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:03 pm 

Reader's digest version:

New York City was considered a lost cause or ungovernable by many before Guiliani took over. The drop in crime and the improvement of the city was an accomplishment unlike anything any other candidate can claim. New York City is practically a small country itself, and the 8 years he spent in charge were some of the best the city has ever seen. That may not all be because of him, but it certainly weighs in his favor.

I'm socially liberal, so the pro-gay marraige/pro-choice stuff doesn't bother me in the slightest. At the same time, I know that he has certain political convictions (not all of which I agree with), which will at the very least assure me that he will not merely be a bellweather (there's something honorable about running in the GOP and refusing to change your very unpopular opinions, unlike Romney). He's basically conservative where I'm conservative, and liberal where I'm liberal, and I know he believes in something (what do you think that Hillary or Edwards, for example, really believe about, say, the Iraq war. I mean really believe, not just posturing and poll-checking and whatnot. I haven't the slightest idea, and that bothers me.)

The only area where McCain loses me is the campaign finance stuff, but I'd be more than happy, because once again he's willing to tell the GOP voters who disagree with him that, well, this is what you get, whether on the war or immigration or whatnot. There's something quite honorable about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:13 pm 

I was expecting more than the Readers Digest version :wink:

I agree with alot of what you have to say, and from NYC to go from horrible conditions to one of the safest large cities in the country is incredible, but Im not sure if I would catgorize NYC as like a small country, and I also see him somewhat as a smarter version of Bush, which is definitely not what we need more of.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:54 am 

Nas wrote:
Romney won the Wyoming caucus the other day but I don't think anyone noticed. I thought delegates were delegates. I was watching the debate last night and he never mentioned it. Is Fred Thompson dead? What is Rudy running for? President of 9/11? In my eyes it's really a 2 man race for the nomination between McCain and Romney.

Why didn't anyone care about Wyoming? I believe they have more delegates anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:27 am 

Irish Boy wrote:
Reader's digest version:

New York City was considered a lost cause or ungovernable by many before Guiliani took over. The drop in crime and the improvement of the city was an accomplishment unlike anything any other candidate can claim. New York City is practically a small country itself, and the 8 years he spent in charge were some of the best the city has ever seen. That may not all be because of him, but it certainly weighs in his favor.

I'm socially liberal, so the pro-gay marraige/pro-choice stuff doesn't bother me in the slightest. At the same time, I know that he has certain political convictions (not all of which I agree with), which will at the very least assure me that he will not merely be a bellweather (there's something honorable about running in the GOP and refusing to change your very unpopular opinions, unlike Romney). He's basically conservative where I'm conservative, and liberal where I'm liberal, and I know he believes in something (what do you think that Hillary or Edwards, for example, really believe about, say, the Iraq war. I mean really believe, not just posturing and poll-checking and whatnot. I haven't the slightest idea, and that bothers me.)

The only area where McCain loses me is the campaign finance stuff, but I'd be more than happy, because once again he's willing to tell the GOP voters who disagree with him that, well, this is what you get, whether on the war or immigration or whatnot. There's something quite honorable about that.

As a socially liberal person and an aspiring attorney I would think you would be troubled by the very real possibility of trampling on civil rights that a giuliani presidency is likely to continue from the current administration.