It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I'd fire her for going public on my company to shame me into a promotion.

@JulieDiCaro: Just to clarify, when I said sports radio is last bastion of the frat boy, I meant the industry, not my station. Just want to be clear.

Of course that's what you meant. You meant every other station that you aren't familiar with - not the one you experience everyday.

:lol:

Terrific.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:26 am 

No Clever Moniker wrote:
This circular aspects of the Julie DiCaro story are very simplistic. It's the same people, talking to the same people, about the same things. Wash, rinse, repeat. Over and over and over. Other than talking about herself and how hard it is for her, what else of significance has she "reported." Shannon Ryan to DiCaro, DiCaro over to Sarah, Sarah to someone else in the coterie, Ryan to that person who then goes back to DiCaro. The coup to the latest story is getting Peggy Koszinski to give a few quotes without allowing her to further expound.

Ironically, by mentioning Peggy they undermine the whole premise of their argument. Peggy is not the most telegenic woman, who has made her mark in the Chicago market for her TV sports coverage. I've met the woman, like her (a lot), and respect what she has to say. In 2000 she moved from radio to TV?
I didn't remember, my how time flies. Does Shannon/Julie talk about the barriers that Peggy faced (like radio personalities commenting on her appearance on a daily basis)? Do they recognize her tenure? Career track? Or professionalism?

The problem for this now clichéd argument of thier's is that they believe that because they are a woman, they should be accepted at point blank. Peggy has covered broad topics with great aplomb. She is respected and accepted. Why? Because she has put in the work! Just like the many, many women in sports that I follow on Twitter, both acknowledged in their field and those who (not unlike Julie) want to break into the field.

Mitch Rosen will always get a pat-on-the-back from Julie's cadre because he hired her. His statement of being open to anyone with passion rings faint when one consider's that the FOTS only gets passionate about things not about sports (his partner repeatedly proclaiming to not watching sports is self-explanatory). Larry Holmes is probably the best example of someone with a modicum of talent and a passion for sports, and yet he isn't well recepted by many on this board. Why? Well why should he be?

Julie is approaching her one year mark in breaking onto the WSCR scene. In that time aside from talking about her Twitter escapades, what else of note would she or could she point to with any sense of accomplishment?

Oh, poor Julie.

again, look at the lifetime resume

2 years and out at every venue for close to 20 years

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This is just dumb. She has no formal training and a very poor resume to be deserving of a spot as a radio host. If she had went to journalism school and worked her way up then maybe. From what I can tell, she one day "decided" she didn't want to be a lawyer and instead wanted to be a sports talk person and she's been handed a bunch of undeserved jobs in radio over many other people both male and female that actually have worked their way towards it.

Add in the fact that her brand seems to be openly and stubbornly antagonistic to pretty much everyone who listens to The Score and she is lucky she even has her job.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
No Clever Moniker wrote:
This circular aspects of the Julie DiCaro story are very simplistic. It's the same people, talking to the same people, about the same things. Wash, rinse, repeat. Over and over and over. Other than talking about herself and how hard it is for her, what else of significance has she "reported." Shannon Ryan to DiCaro, DiCaro over to Sarah, Sarah to someone else in the coterie, Ryan to that person who then goes back to DiCaro. The coup to the latest story is getting Peggy Koszinski to give a few quotes without allowing her to further expound.

Ironically, by mentioning Peggy they undermine the whole premise of their argument. Peggy is not the most telegenic woman, who has made her mark in the Chicago market for her TV sports coverage. I've met the woman, like her (a lot), and respect what she has to say. In 2000 she moved from radio to TV?
I didn't remember, my how time flies. Does Shannon/Julie talk about the barriers that Peggy faced (like radio personalities commenting on her appearance on a daily basis)? Do they recognize her tenure? Career track? Or professionalism?

The problem for this now clichéd argument of thier's is that they believe that because they are a woman, they should be accepted at point blank. Peggy has covered broad topics with great aplomb. She is respected and accepted. Why? Because she has put in the work! Just like the many, many women in sports that I follow on Twitter, both acknowledged in their field and those who (not unlike Julie) want to break into the field.

Mitch Rosen will always get a pat-on-the-back from Julie's cadre because he hired her. His statement of being open to anyone with passion rings faint when one consider's that the FOTS only gets passionate about things not about sports (his partner repeatedly proclaiming to not watching sports is self-explanatory). Larry Holmes is probably the best example of someone with a modicum of talent and a passion for sports, and yet he isn't well recepted by many on this board. Why? Well why should he be?

Julie is approaching her one year mark in breaking onto the WSCR scene. In that time aside from talking about her Twitter escapades, what else of note would she or could she point to with any sense of accomplishment?

Oh, poor Julie.

:salut:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Ive caught Beadle and Fagan a few times..it's a good show..better than anything on the score. Julie has No talent, So Mitch will probably give her a show very soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's

@JulieDiCaro: Just to clarify, when I said sports radio is last bastion of the frat boy, I meant the industry, not my station. Just want to be clear.

Of course that's what you meant. You meant every other station that you aren't familiar with - not the one you experience everyday.

:lol: :lol:

I hope someone points that out to her. What a buffoon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Tad Queasy wrote:

:lol: :lol:

I hope someone points that out to her. What a buffoon.

I bet the Score "frat" boys didn't take kindly to that article. Most companies have a media comment policy where you are not supposed to talk to the press without prior approval. I wonder if the Score had an issue with her putting out quotes about the station and the industry. Probably not since they give her free reign on Twitter. It's her job.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
I didn't know that there were any Jewish fraternities. Thought the whole tribe was one big frat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
I didn't know that there were any Jewish fraternities. Thought the whole tribe was one big frat.

Sammies?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:14 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
pittmike wrote:
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

Sammies?

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:17 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
pittmike wrote:
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

Sammies?

Yes.

ZBT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
good dolphin wrote:
"15 years as a criminal and family court lawyer"

Reporting isn't just accepting every statement uttered in an interview as objectively true. Her own public resume indicates about half that number of years were spent as a lawyer. A very little bit of digging is likely to reveal even less substantive experience. It's also important to note that her very shallow experience in criminal law was all spent on the side of defense....but she is an expert.

Furthermore, didn't Shannon Ryan co-host with Julie DiCaro once or twice? If she did and my memory isn't betraying me, shouldn't she have disclosed this lest anyone think "oh, this is just Julie DiCaro getting a co-worker to write about her in the Daily Tronc"?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
From the fluff piece on Julie:

Quote:
She receives derogatory tweets on a daily basis, as many as 30 per day,

:shock: 30? As in 15 doubled? One more than 29? Look at Colin Cowherd or Jason Whitlock's mentions, for the love of God. Look at the comments section of PewDiePie videos.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
billypootons wrote:
slow news day... really slow

Quote:
"I'm a radio geek," Score host Laurence Holmes said. "I like sound. I think she has a really terrific sound. She's multilayered. She has a lot of different facets to her. ... I don't like that (radio is mostly) a boys club."
From the guy who always sounds creepy when women broadcasters join his show.

I can't stand her because she comes off as a retard on twitter... and she has terrible sports thoughts... the one time i heard her on a weekend - her bulls thought was they need to be relevant until baseball starts, thanks Julie cant wait for you to get a full time gig.

Man, FUCK Laurence Holmes. With the possible exception of Bernstein, no one on that station has objectified women more than that creepy little perv.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:25 am 

billypootons wrote:

Quote:
"I'm a radio geek," Score host Laurence Holmes said. "I like sound. I think she has a really terrific sound. She's multilayered. She has a lot of different facets to her. ... I don't like that (radio is mostly) a boys club."

I bet Leery takes off his wedding ring to talk to girls on the radio.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:36 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Curious Hair wrote:
billypootons wrote:

Quote:

I bet Leery takes off his wedding ring to talk to girls on the radio.

Even callers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Then there's this eunuch

James Neveau (@JamesNeveau)
6/21/16, 9:26 AM
Hmm. Let's see. @JulieDiCaro is amazing. @RegressedPDO blows my mind. @SarahSpain's work is always powerful. twitter.com/MissStaceyMay/…

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:44 am 

Leery probably goes on Twitter and says "check out these awesome gals you should really, really be following" but it's all just random girls posting emojis about Game of Thrones or something because he's trying to tacitly quid-pro-quo them into sending semi-nudes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
badrogue17 wrote:
Then there's this eunuch

James Neveau (@JamesNeveau)
6/21/16, 9:26 AM
Hmm. Let's see. @JulieDiCaro is amazing. @RegressedPDO blows my mind. @SarahSpain's work is always powerful. twitter.com/MissStaceyMay/…

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Just finished a book on the Byzantine Empire. I can't believe eunuchs were a thing back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
I've listened to Spain's weekend show a few times. It's fine. I PTFB when they do their Bachelor power rankings.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I think Julie being terrible job is a bigger board unifier than anything else. I can't think of another topic that is pretty much unanimously agreed upon here.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
FavreFan wrote:
I think Julie being terrible job is a bigger board unifier than anything else. I can't think of another topic that is pretty much unanimously agreed upon here.

No shit. I love how that is always conveniently left out. They never want to come to that realization. It's just that she's being treated soooooooooooooo unfairly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:18 am 

She's actually not bad at talking extemporaneously, she just can't read copy and her makeshift investigative journalism is shit. I don't know whether that qualifies her to have a show.

Incidentally, before the return of the prodigal Goff, the only on-air personality at the Score who was a visible minority was Leery (insert joke here). If there's any demographic listener/host mismatch to write about, it's that a sports radio station in Chicago has such a dearth of black and Hispanic hosts. The article itself even to-be-sures this somewhere in there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Who are these women not listening to sports talk radio because men are hosting shows? And if there is such a large number of women who would otherwise be listeners of The Score but for the number of penises in the daily lineup, is it not unreasonable to think that a similar number of men would go to another station or outlet if more women were driving shows?

What Julie and her ilk really want is a station to adhere itself to their "untapped" demographic (I'm skeptical of the notion that a random sampling of females would be just as likely to regularly listen to hours of sports talk as a similar sampling of males), at the cost of an established one. It could be that there is a bit of a market inefficiency as far as the female demo goes, but to act as though attempting to capture it won't drive male listeners away is disingenuous, as is lambasting men who do so (but not the women that won't listen to men talk sports and take calls).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Fasano's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Who are these women not listening to sports talk radio because men are hosting shows? And if there is such a large number of women who would otherwise be listeners of The Score but for the number of penises in the daily lineup, is it not unreasonable to think that a similar number of men would go to another station or outlet if more women were driving shows?

What Julie and her ilk really want is a station to adhere itself to their "untapped" demographic (I'm skeptical of the notion that a random sampling of females would be just as likely to regularly listen to hours of sports talk as a similar sampling of males), at the cost of an established one. It could be that there is a bit of a market inefficiency as far as the female demo goes, but to act as though attempting to capture it won't drive male listeners away is disingenuous, as is lambasting men who do so (but not the women that won't listen to men talk sports and take calls).

Exactly the point. How well does Women's Sports do on ESPN? The WNBA is being held up by the NBA otherwise that would fail. Sorry but guys drive the sports market and heaven forbid guys want to talk to guys about sports. We are all terrible and sexist.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
"15 years as a criminal and family court lawyer"

Reporting isn't just accepting every statement uttered in an interview as objectively true. Her own public resume indicates about half that number of years were spent as a lawyer. A very little bit of digging is likely to reveal even less substantive experience. It's also important to note that her very shallow experience in criminal law was all spent on the side of defense....but she is an expert.

Furthermore, didn't Shannon Ryan co-host with Julie DiCaro once or twice? If she did and my memory isn't betraying me, shouldn't she have disclosed this lest anyone think "oh, this is just Julie DiCaro getting a co-worker to write about her in the Daily Tronc"?

The Tribune has already demonstrated it's perfectly fine with them to not disclose such things. It's the Greenstein precedent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
FavreFan wrote:

:lol: Even her biggest supporter BRick finally caved in. I love it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:05 pm 

I'm on vacation, visiting my daughter in NYC. I asked her friends about their views on feminism and social media. They got a laugh about Julie's Twitter problems and then wondered why she would provoke the trolls. When I got into what brought this about and why (Patrick Kane) they all stated that if she was wrong in the reporting then she's going to get what comes. My daughter, and one friend's fiancée (an attorney) questioned her credentials as an attorney.

Collectively they view this brand of neo-feminism as being detrimental to women in general and a contradiction. If you want to be a strong woman, then the first pre-requisite is to be strong. You can be a woman, a feminist, and still not let everything boil down to an either-or in regards to sensitivity to men or an excuse hindering success/achievement. While her minority friends are successful women in their fields, they see racism and patriarchy to be equal evils to their ascending in their chosen careers. The former is insidious (because it comes in myriad forms) while the latter is too often just one person who is not only easy to identify but to also overcome.

Fortunately she works in one of the few of careers where sex, race, creed, color, orientation, or anything else can't get in front of the jobs they do. Those few still above her who hold to older views of societal interaction are a breed dying far to fast to replace.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This is just dumb. She has no formal training and a very poor resume to be deserving of a spot as a radio host. If she had went to journalism school and worked her way up then maybe. From what I can tell, she one day "decided" she didn't want to be a lawyer and instead wanted to be a sports talk person and she's been handed a bunch of undeserved jobs in radio over many other people both male and female that actually have worked their way towards it.

Add in the fact that her brand seems to be openly and stubbornly antagonistic to pretty much everyone who listens to The Score and she is lucky she even has her job.

Mike Florio decided he didn't want to be a lawyer and instead wanted to be a sports talk person. He went out, made a bunch of contacts, and busted his ass writing his blog for years before being able to quit the law and do what he wanted.

Contrast that to the way Julie is going about trying to get a hosting gig.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next