All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Did you have the day off work?
Yes 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
No 74%  74%  [ 26 ]
Total votes : 35
 Post subject: MLK Day
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Hello all. Listening to the Mike North Morning Show got me thinking: how many people got the day off work today? So, here we go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I had the day off. The account I worked on previously did not have the day off. If I were still working on that account I would've scheduled a day off today as I vowed last year never to work on MLK day again.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Oven Grinders
It's a great holiday to celebrate the King.

However, "black history month" is just dumb. I'm sure I'll get buried for this, whatever. If I remember correctly us crackers have apologized with reparations. Not to mention it was a white North that bleed more blood then any other war for African American freedom to begin with.

Is there some reason black history needs a whole freakin' month?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

http://youtube.com/watch?v=huKSm0tAvhs&feature=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Thug wrote:
Is there some reason black history needs a whole freakin' month?

Is there some reason why that offends you?

By the way Thug, who were Garret A. Morgan and A. Philip Randolph? If you can't answer that question without a Google search, maybe Black History Month is still necessary.

Black History Month has nothing to do with "whitey apologizing for slavery" or any ignorant bullshit like that. It's about acknowledging true contributions to this country that would probably go unnoticed if not for the month of celebration.

Idiot.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
To tell you the truth, I think all these "themed months"-- be it for black history, asian heritage, jewish, catholic...whatever-- are quite lame.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:23 pm 

Thug wrote:
However, "black history month" is just dumb. I'm sure I'll get buried for this, whatever. If I remember correctly us crackers have apologized with reparations. Not to mention it was a white North that bleed more blood then any other war for African American freedom to begin with.

Thug, like Kid I too wonder what about Black history month really offends you? It is as non-threatening as Asian American/Hispanic/Women's History month, day, week. I couldn't begin to tell you when the other 'special months' are, however if it requires schoolkids, or even some 'adults' to consider the contributions of others not likely to be represented in school textbooks, it is fine by me. Or using your logic, should I be offended on St. Patrick's Day, Cinco de Mayo, or during Oktoberfest?

The seeming venom I don't get here...

As to your 'reparations' comment, I still have several relatives 90+ yrs. old who don't recall their (or their parent's/grandparent's) receipt of those 'windfall' payments. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:30 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
To tell you the truth, I think all these "themed months"-- be it for black history, asian heritage, jewish, catholic...whatever-- are quite lame.

Same question Frank, why are they lame to you? The greatness of this country is only realized when all of its contributors and their contributions are recognized and where appropriate, lauded(or at least that's what the textbooks purport to teach :? ). The 'angry white man' sentiment, or here the belittlement of anything stemming from a group to which you don't belong are things I don't get.

This diversity is ostensibly one of the primary things that makes this country (and city) allegedly 'great' but you and Thug are falling into "Mike North - Rant against everything different" themes, for no apparent or logical reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:35 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
I could do without the themed months myself, although I don't see anything particularly invidious about them. I don't particularly like the fact that St. Patrick's Day and Cinco de Mayo have turned into National Irish Day and National Hispanic (or Mexican, to be more specific) Day either, but those are at least holidays borne of history. State or organization created "let's celebrate X" months don't really do much for me. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over them either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Same question Frank, why are they lame to you? The greatness of this country is only realized when all of its contributors and their contributions are recognized and where appropriate, lauded(or at least that's what the textbooks purport to teach :? ).

I agree, but shouldnt we be able to collectively recognize everybody's contributions without having to have seperate months for each nationality? Doesnt it just re-enforce racist thinking by saying "a great black inventor" instead of saying "A great inventor".

I am in no way offended by black history month, and unfortunately it probably is necessary given the overall lack of educational quality in this country, at least at the grade school levels, to make sure we recognize black people that did great things that effect our lives today, I just think that ideally, we would not have to have seperate months and could just focus on the contributions of the entire population without having to seperate and qualify these said contributions and contributors.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:09 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
I agree, but shouldnt we be able to collectively recognize everybody's contributions without having to have seperate months for each nationality? Doesnt it just re-enforce racist thinking by saying "a great black inventor" instead of saying "A great inventor".

I am in no way offended by black history month, and unfortunately it probably is necessary given the overall lack of educational quality in this country, at least at the grade school levels, to make sure we recognize black people that did great things that effect our lives today, I just think that ideally, we would not have to have seperate months and could just focus on the contributions of the entire population without having to seperate and qualify these said contributions and contributors.

Once again Favre Fan, we agree :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:15 pm 

FWIW, Morgan Freeman has always come across as very intelligent in the interviews I have seen him in, and here is his take

NEW YORK - Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is "ridiculous."

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST). "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10482634/

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

Kid Cairo wrote:
who were Garret A. Morgan and A. Philip Randolph?

morgan invented a crude gas mask

just because he may not know is not a knock on black history month, its a knock on lack of education. i had never heard of mr randolph until my second year of college when we started talking about black labor movements and such. most people in chicago should know about him simply because of its direct relation to Pullman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:18 pm 

And to think Nas is killing him (Morgan Freeman) off in the Dead Pool :P

Last edited by Regular Reader on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
Irish Boy wrote:
I could do without the themed months myself, although I don't see anything particularly invidious about them. I don't particularly like the fact that St. Patrick's Day and Cinco de Mayo have turned into National Irish Day and National Hispanic (or Mexican, to be more specific) Day either, but those are at least holidays borne of history. State or organization created "let's celebrate X" months don't really do much for me. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over them either.

Are you suggesting that St Patrick's Day is not instituted by an organization?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:24 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I had never heard of mr randolph until my second year of college when we started talking about black labor movements and such. most people in chicago should know about him simply because of its direct relation to Pullman.

Unfortunately, most people in Chicago don't know anything at all about labor or labor leaders except as it may affect their job in the near future. Certainly not historic labor struggles. BTW, Garrett Morgan held patents for items all across the spectrum, sort of along the lines of a less proficient Thomas Edison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:32 pm 

Coach Crapowski wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

Are you suggesting that St Patrick's Day is not instituted by an organization?

You know what I mean, smartass. :lol: Once a few centuries go by, you get grandfathered in. But like I said, even being Irish, I don't "celebrate" St. Patrick's Day. And even in the case of St. Patrick's Day (wikipedia has just taught me), it was more a localized celebration than an international Catholic celebration at first. There's something more organic about that. But still, I don't like it- I don't like the parades, I don't like the fake Irishness, I don't like the "drinking until your Irish", I don't like the fake brogue. I wouldn't like Cinco de Mayo if I was Mexican, and I don't like nationality-themed weeks or months either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:35 pm 

Quote:
You can't treat the working man this way. One day, we'll form a union and get the fair and equitable treatment we deserve! Then we'll go too far, and get corrupt and shiftless, and the Japanese will eat us alive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 pm 

Martin Luther King Jr was black?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:37 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
Quote:
You can't treat the working man this way. One day, we'll form a union and get the fair and equitable treatment we deserve! Then we'll go too far, and get corrupt and shiftless, and the Japanese will eat us alive!

IB, your old movie references are showing. Shouldn't that now be Chinese/Mexican/Indian??? :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:39 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

And next you'll be trying to tell us that a 'Boilermaker' is something other than a working man :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:42 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
And to think Nas is killing him (Morgan Freeman) off in the Dead Pool :P

:shock: That would suck, hes among my two or three favorite actors.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:44 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

And next you'll be trying to tell us that a 'Boilermaker' is something other than a working man :lol:

It's also a bad tasting but effective drink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:02 pm 

Well, what's dumber? Having Black History Month, to have to remind people that blacks have contributed to this country as well? Or Valentine's Day, a day to remind people that they love each other?

Unfortunately humankind is built around dates, and everything has to be sectioned off, otherwise it's forgotten.

I think it's a shame that it's only a month that you'll hear the names of George Edward Alcorn or Andrew Jackson Beard. And while a lot of the names are obscure, and most inventors are, there's no need to only mention them in the month of February in science class--they should be mentioned with all the other inventors.

But I don't know that it'll ever change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
We were given the shortest fucking month on the calender to learn about our ancestors.

I knew somebody was gonna bring this up. Look on the bright side, Nas. '08 is a leap year so you get a whole extra day of February this time round! Apparently its illegal to study Black History in any month other than February. :roll:

Morgan Freeman is onto something.

Whats actually kind of pathetic is that Dr. King gets a holiday, and Emmet Till's birthday barely gets a mention. Now, I don't mean this to belittle anything that King accomplished, but the real start of this movement was Till's brutal death. I also think LBJ is overlooked in the Civil Rights movement.

But yeah...this thread could get ugly so I'm getting out now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:32 pm 

Good God, I should have known this was going to happen...all because I was curious who else had to work today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

I find it very ironic, Nas, though that you are calling anybody an idiot. Maybe not everybody agrees with the sentiments in this thread, but you have been the first (and so far only) one to resort to petty name calling to get your point across.

Nas, people in general, are stupid. Watch Jay Leno when he does his "jaywalking" skit. He asks very simple questions (sometimes about history) and you see all sorts of colors, genders, religions, etc get these 2nd grade history questions wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:36 pm 

Home5licE wrote:
Good God, I should have known this was going to happen...all because I was curious who else had to work today.

At least you didn't ask if anyone was driving to Wisconsin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:38 pm 

Quote:
I'm not name calling

Quote:
You sir are a complete fucking idiot

Hey buddy, who you crappin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

so my opinions differ and im a fucking idiot.

ok then.