It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
I was listening to Hanley and Haugh this morning since that braying ass Mulligan was not on today. At the end of the show Hanley said goodbye to Jordan Bernfield who, I think, is leaving to do play-by-play for Big 10 basketball. Not sure if he's working for the Big Ten Network or a school, though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Jordan is too classy of a guy to be stuck at The Score.

I was surprised when he went there in the first place but it seemed at the time WGN was trimming a lot of salaries so he may have seen the writing on the wall or didn't have a choice?

Anyway - Good for him.

Seems like a good guy not cut out to wallow in that trash can. Much like Snapper.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
What I'll remember most is when he did a solo show and acted like a douche to everyone and when he did some interview saying that being Jewish made him work hard at doing sports talk.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Good for him. The young talent at the station should be using it as a springboard to bigger and better things. No reason to stick around at 670 if you want to
do play by play or color work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:04 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
What I'll remember most is when he did a solo show and acted like a douche to everyone and when he did some interview saying that being Jewish made him work hard at doing sports talk.

:lol: I never heard that before. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:34 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I thought he was already doing B10 games last year while he was still at The Score? I seem to remember watching him. Maybe that was ESPN3.

Is he just doing more of them?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:34 am 

Godfella wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah, some waiting-room magazine did an interview with Les, Senor, Jordan Bernfield, and I forgot the other guy, and it was about being Jewish in sports radio (this sounds more like the setup to a joke than anything). Senor said something about how being Jewish makes him approach things more intelligently than gentiles do because of course he would. Jordan Bernfield said it made him get good grades in school and work hard at everything. I forgot what he said but Grobber, of all people, was the one who approached this whole weird deal the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Godfella wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah, some waiting-room magazine did an interview with Les, Senor, Jordan Bernfield, and I forgot the other guy, and it was about being Jewish in sports radio (this sounds more like the setup to a joke than anything). Senor said something about how being Jewish makes him approach things more intelligently than gentiles do because of course he would. Jordan Bernfield said it made him get good grades in school and work hard at everything. I forgot what he said but Grobber, of all people, was the one who approached this whole weird deal the best.

#morethannebbish

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:43 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Godfella wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

No Spiegel, huh?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:
Godfella wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

That should be fireable if true.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:47 am 

Here it is, and as usual when recalling stuff from years ago, I got details wrong:
http://www.robertfeder.com/2013/11/04/j ... spotlight/

Quote:
Jordan Bernfield of WGN AM 720: “I think often the Jewish values of striving to be the best, striving to be successful are values that coincide with trying to work in a business as competitive as this. It’s because in many Jewish families success is valued, and there are so many Jews who strive to be at the top of a competitive field.”

Dan Bernstein of WSCR AM 670: “Like it does in many walks of life, [my Jewish upbringing] brings with it a certain analytical way of seeing the world, finding the gray areas, asking questions upon questions, always with the lively intellectual dissatisfaction and mordant humor. No question it helps in finding what is funny amid what may not appear to be.”

David Kaplan of WGN AM 720 and Comcast SportsNet Chicago: “I try not to wear my religion on my sleeve, although I’ve never hidden the fact that I’m Jewish. All my listeners know. I always wish my listeners happy new year [at the Jewish New Year] and happy Passover, and I do the same thing for those who aren’t Jewish. I try to treat everybody the right way.”

David Schuster of WSCR AM 670: Being Jewish doesn’t make much difference in his career but creates “a comfortable feeling” with many team owners and executives who also are Jewish, he said. “I feel a special kinship to them, but I won’t play that up [on the air] at all.”

Les Grobstein of WSCR AM 670: “We all got big mouths.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Schusters comment sounds like Bernstein too.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:53 am 

:lol: @ Grobber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:57 am 

David Schuster wrote:
I feel a special kinship to them, but I won’t play that up [on the air] at all.

Senor Columnist wrote:
I. WILL.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Quote:
Dan Bernstein of WSCR AM 670: “Like it does in many walks of life, [my Jewish upbringing] brings with it a certain analytical way of seeing the world, finding the gray areas, asking questions upon questions, always with the lively intellectual dissatisfaction and mordant humor. No question it helps in finding what is funny amid what may not appear to be.”

Honestly, what about the Jewish faith or its culture have to do with being analytical? "Analytical", "asking questions upon questions" and "intellectual dissatisfaction" do not sound like the pillars of a dogmatic monotheistic faith such as Judaism.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:48 am 

Godfella wrote:
:lol: @ Grobber

+1 :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I love this use of "mordant" by Bernstein. He just has to "Bernstein" all over himself. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:56 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
spmack wrote:
I love this use of "mordant" by Bernstein. He just has to "Bernstein" all over himself. :lol: :lol:

He'd just listened to Led Zeppelin II.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:21 pm 

spmack wrote:

Somewhere in the complete interview has to include the Bernstein favorite; "rudimentary".

If not, I will be disappointed in Senor...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:22 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Quote:

Honestly, what about the Jewish faith or its culture have to do with being analytical? "Analytical", "asking questions upon questions" and "intellectual dissatisfaction" do not sound like the pillars of a dogmatic monotheistic faith such as Judaism.

Call in and read that quote word for word about Jewish people and you will be shouted down as an anti semite