It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Curious Hair will have to chime in as I don't listen to WGN, but I'm just amazed at the major lickage by Larz.

Quote:
WGN Radio Releases Commercial Manager Jason Skaggs

Published on Saturday, 10 December 2016 16:00
Jason Skaggs, one of the most highly-respected radio commercial creators in the business, was released by WGN-AM on Friday. His surprise exit was due to a new round of budget cutbacks happening again at WGN Radio. Skaggs had been with the station for nearly seven years.

WGN-AM hired Skaggs in March 2010 to be the station's Commercial Services Manager, overseeing commercial production for direct clients, along with writing and creating copy for live commercials.

During his time at WGN-AM, Skaggs's commercial work for the station has received numerous national awards, including multiple Radio Mercury Awards, the Radio Advertising Bureau's competition exclusively devoted to rewarding the development of effective and creative radio commercials. Skaggs has also been honored by the National Associations of Broadcasters at the annual Radio Show. In the last few years, Skaggs has been honored numerous times by the Illinois Broadcasters Association with Silver Dome Awards for his work in creating original commercials for WGN-AM.

Despite his track record of excellence and in making WGN Radio's commercials sound so entertaining, Tribune Broadcasting felt the need to cut that corner from the budget, eliminating Skaggs' position.

Said Skaggs on Facebook Friday: "6 years 8 months and 21 days. Today was my last day at WGN. Honored to have been a part of it. Turning the page to my next chapter."

Before coming to work in Chicago in 2010, Skaggs was the Corporate Creative Director for Cumulus Media's Sound Solutions in Atlanta, where he managed spot requests for 384 radio stations in 68 markets. His work for Cumulus had won him a few Mercury Awards, which helped him get the attention of WGN Radio management in early 2010.

A radio ad wiz with well over 20 years of experience, Skaggs also spent over nine years working in Missouri for the Zimmer Radio & Marketing Group.

Skaggs has been called a "one-man show and specialty talent" because of his ability to also create music for commercials, if need be. He is a drummer at heart, but also sings, plays electric and acoustic guitars, bass guitar, harmonica, and piano. Many of the commercials heard on WGN-AM in the last few years featured original music and production created by Skaggs in his home studio This immensely pleased WGN-AM's advertisers, especially the smaller organizations that do not have resources for this level of skilled production quality.

One would think that WGN-AM's loss will soon be another radio or advertising company's huge gain.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Heads rolls as they should when the station lost the Cubs' rights at the worst possible moment. #Bernsteinwins

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
spmack wrote:
Curious Hair will have to chime in as I don't listen to WGN, but I'm just amazed at the major lickage by Larz.

As someone who has written copy for radio stations because sales reps and production managers aren't necessarily good at it and quite often bad at it, it sucks to see the position eliminated for someone else who got to do it, even though being the guy who writes in-house radio copy is like being the little old man who shovels elephant shit at the circus so he can be in show business. I don't listen to 'GN either when the Hawks aren't on, but he must be good enough to have gotten there in the first place.

It's frustrating when commercial radio stations lose sight of the fact that commercials are how they make their money, and that spots should be good so as to continue doing business with existing and new clients. If you're a small station in Crystal Lake or Kenosha, you should be able to tell a prospective client that you have a dedicated copywriter who will work with you to craft a message. If you're WGN, you'd damn well better be able to. Don't make reps write copy. Where would they find the time when they're supposed to be on the street selling? Besides, if you're selling for a top-ten station in a top-three market, your talents obviously lie more in sales than in creative. And don't make the production manager write copy. He has always enough to do. Creative services should be part of any sales department.

From experience, I'm guessing the bean-counters figured they should be concentrating on accounts big enough to retain ad agencies, thereby not needing to produce spots in-house, and any that they do need to do won't be worth anything more than the desultory effort of a sales rep. From experience, this will bite them in the ass.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
I echo CH's comments. I have worked in the newspaper business as well as a radio station - granted, they were much smaller markets. However, at one time, ad reps were actually charged with collecting outstanding bills from their accounts! It amazes me how many creative positions are dissolved in many different institutions today. Then, six months later when the product is boring, stale and unappealing, people actually wonder; why?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Wonder if his nickname is "Boz"?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Wonder if his nickname is "Boz"?

Or Ricky?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Godfella wrote:
I have worked in the newspaper business as well as a radio station - granted, they were much smaller markets. However, at one time, ad reps were actually charged with collecting outstanding bills from their accounts!

That still happens at smaller stations. Sales managers are fond of saying stuff like "you're not in the sales business, you in the relationship-building business," which is actually a very good way to think about it, but not when part of your relationship entails trying to pick up a check your client can't write.