It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm Still Standin'
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Last year was not a pleasant one professionally. I don't regret my decision to take a shot at morning drive on the FM side. I regret the outcome. For many years, I've been telling the young bucks "just when you think you've seen it all in radio, stick around one more day." My experience at Hubbard Radio, which owns and operates 30 stations in the country (three in Chicago) redefined "seeing it all." One of these days I'll get around to sharing some sordid details.

Many here and on social media have been wondering, some lamenting, why I don't want to return to radio. It requires two interested parties to begin a negotiation. Neither the Score nor ESPN wants me back. I get it with the Score. Twice I said no to them since I did my last show after the Blackhawks got tripped by the Kings in the Western Conference finals in June of '14. In late August, they hired Patrick Mannelly.

That fall, I heard from Greg Solk, then the VP of programming at Hubbard. Solk hired me at the Loop in Jan. of '88. I respected his radio acumen enormously and, while I never desired doing mornings, a project with Greg's fingerprints on it AND on a station I usually enjoyed piqued my interest.

Greg and I were closing in on a deal when Mannelly resigned from the Score's midday show. The Score called again. Then-VP of CBS Chicago Rod Zimmerman took some money off the table (from the August offer) and said "this is not a negotiation." When we got together in-person the next day, I politely suggested to Rod "it became a negotiation when YOU called me." He wouldn't budge. The Score's offer was still six figures higher than what I was going to get from the Drive, but I really wanted to try the FM thing so I said no to the Score again and gave the Drive a shot.

Turned out to be the wrong move, but again, I don't regret trying it. I reconnected with some amazing talents and friends there and discovered some wonderful people. My PD, Curtiss Johnson, and I became fast friends and I was devastated when the company whacked him in January of '16. Kathy Voltmer is one of the sweetest girls I've ever met and being around her pleasant nature at 4:45 a.m. contributed largely to my fondness for the gig.

Last summer, Hubbard caved to the audience's less-than-favorable response to fewer songs and more chatter in the morning. Solk was fired and I lost whatever power I had. John Gallagher, then the market manager, generously offered me a buyout because they weren't going to deliver what they'd promised. BTW, Gallagher also got vaporized last summer. Soon after, Pete McMurray, Kathy and producer Scott Miller were shown the door. Radio...it's red hot.

I spent the fall golfing, fishing and trying to massage the decision makers at both sports yakkers. No dice. I was holding out some hope that following Terry Boers' retirement, a lineup shuffle might take place and there would be a spot for me. Or that ESPN would gimme a shot in its struggling midday slot. Neither is happening.

In the last couple weeks, I've been working an angle with a station in town that would be a really nice fit for me. Hope to have more on that for you soon. And yes, I've had a cursory conversation with the mysterious "third sports station" that may be born. I'll let you know when I can. Meantime, I'm meeting with publishers about my Patrick book and I've scheduled knee replacement surgery next month. Tired of getting cortisone shots every three months (that last about 6 weeks usually) and I don't want to go back on pain meds so I'm getting it done while I have some time to rehab it before golf and musky seasons open.

To good dolphin, I didn't answer Terry about my future on 1/5 because that event wasn't the right time. It was incredibly difficult to keep a stiff upper lip, but the day was billed "A Toast To Terry" and was in conjunction with the station's 25th anniversary. It would have been selfish to make it about me.

To spmack, who called me an asshole for not coming here to post: You need to understand I've been under "no comment" restrictions regarding what happened at the Drive until we got to the first of the year. I wanted to get paid for doing nothing for seven months! Further, it made no sense to make any public statements about conversations I was entertaining with a couple stations.

More soon. Hope those of you I know are doing well. I am grateful for those of you who still are in my corner.

Post subject: Re: I'm Still Standin'
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Move.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:57 am 

Thanks Mac. You always have a place here...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Best of luck Mac. Sports radio misses you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Glad to have you back Mac. Look forward to more posts...your insight into what really is going on behind the scenes is a nice elixir to Beardown's crazy speculation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Would being at the score even be enjoyable anymore? A good portion of the day is high brow social justice "sports" radio. It would have been entertaining for you to have been around during the Jules era....just for a few days.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:04 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Good luck buddy.

Hows Jurko doing with.....everything? And have you spoken with Tiny at all?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Nice update, Mac. Informative and candid.

Much appreciated. Hope to hear you again soon.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:15 am 

Zippy, you and the fellas would be amazed at how spot-on accurate Beardown is with MANY of his conspiracy theories. Urlacher's missing neck, you're on to something buddy. Frank, it's still good to see you on Facebook. Yes, I still talk to Harry... he's pretty low. Sober, but low. Jurko is doing just fine, barring the scarcity of bonus checks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Might be a decent guest on the board podcast- if they have the space.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Mac, any idea who is heading this rumored third sports talker? Asking for a friend who needs to know where to send his demo, his wife just left him, and he got passed over for another promotion at his current gig....

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:19 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
There's gotta be a way to get Mac on the podcast.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Mac FM wrote:
Zippy, you and the fellas would be amazed at how spot-on accurate Beardown is with MANY of his conspiracy theories. Urlacher's missing neck, you're on to something buddy. Frank, it's still good to see you on Facebook. Yes, I still talk to Harry... he's pretty low. Sober, but low. Jurko is doing just fine, barring the scarcity of bonus checks.

:lol: Nice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:23 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Mac FM wrote:

Sometimes Beardown reminds me of the crop duster pilot Randy Quaid played in the first "Independence Day" movie... In the end, he was right. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:27 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Godfella wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Mac FM wrote:

Sometimes Beardown reminds me of the crop duster pilot Randy Quaid played in the first "Independence Day" movie... In the end, he was right. :lol:

Beardown will be insufferable now.

Thanks, Mac.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:28 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Godfella wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Mac FM wrote:

Beardown will be insufferable now.

Thanks, Mac.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:30 am 

It's not just Beardown, Dr. Ken. MANY of you have terrific insight to the dynamics of sports radio. Most acutely accurate usually is an opinion expressed on ego/insecurity.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:32 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Mac FM wrote:
It's not just Beardown, Dr. Ken. MANY of you have terrific insight to the dynamics of sports radio. Most acutely accurate usually is an opinion expressed on ego/insecurity.

I guess that's what happens when a group spends an unhealthy amount of time pondering something ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Mac FM wrote:
Zippy, you and the fellas would be amazed at how spot-on accurate Beardown is with MANY of his conspiracy theories.

Fire up the ol' "Beardown is Bernstein" conspiracy to end all conspiracies.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Mac, you should listen to the CFMB podcast. It will get your juices flowing. And then, you should be a guest host on it. Your voice needs to be heard.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Mac FM wrote:

So Spiegel really is that passive-aggressive?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Mac what are your thoughts on the final show with Terry? How was it to hang out with the guys again? And how was Bernstein with everyone?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:38 am 

Mac FM wrote:

Mac - if we ran something specific like this past you would you consider replying as best as you can/would?

I'll try one for the heck of it... Every day it sounds more and more like Speigs does not like Parkins. It's only been two weeks with a new partner. Is this a real thing? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
well - good luck. hope a 3rd sports talker along the lines of the original SCORE gets up and running.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:06 am 

Waiting For Ruffcorn, the event on 1/5 was top notch. Everybody was in a good mood. There was a lot of genuine affection in the room. I got there at noon to spend time with Terry's family and anybody else who might be early. Cut out around 3:30 as the very nice 'XRT performance studio became overcrowded. Bernstein was fine, at least with me. I didn't observe his interactions with others, nor was I interested. DB and I had a good laugh when Jiggs was on with Terry. I gave the old, gravelly Jiggs "hmmmmmmmm" and Dan had to duck around the corner so nobody saw him cracking up. It was a good day, but I'd be lying if I didn't confess some sadness as well. I saw some old friends, albeit work friends, who are physically broken... even more than I.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Thank you for the update, Mac.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:09 am 

I have no insight regarding the dynamic between Spiegs and Parkins, who I affectionately call "Knish" based on our shared fondess for John Turturro's character in "Rounders." No contact with anybody, other than sending Jay a condolences note about the passing of his sister. I also regularly text with Terry. Got close to him again this past summer. We both needed that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Mac, blink once if the new station is SB Nation.

Blink twice if it is NBC or FOX Sports.

I'll hang up and listen for my answer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
It was nice to hear your segment during the Boers special. It was bittersweet because the gradual asshattering that happened there was near imperceptible until you get a shock treatment back to what it once was.
Sports radio blows now.
I told you before I was mad at you for leaving sports talk but now I'm just pissed at what the score has become since you bailed. Terry was the last vestige of the old guard and now... well...
Anyway again that was selfish of me.

welcome back. Glad you found the new place now that bigfan went section 8 and we had to relocate.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:21 am 

I wouldn't agree it blows, it's just evolved. The two biggest things to injure sports radio since 1/2/92: technology killed the star callers. First faxes, then e-mails, then texting, Twitter and Facebook followed. No.2, there seems to be a philosophy at many shops the product's purpose is to educate rather than entertain. There is a real absence of a fraternity house feel we ALL enjoyed in the early days of the Score and even more so on MJH.