It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: STATE OF ILLINOIS PARK
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Maybe it is just my crazy thought patterns here, but is anyone else concerned about this sale of Wrigley to the State of Illinois?

1. The Illinois Stadium Under The Table Committee is controlled by Uncle Jerry. They own one facility! Does anyone really think that one person ever on that committee has not been approved by Reinsdorf?

2. I know Zell is all powerful, but who do you think brought this deal together?

3. Forget all the crap with the inside deals, etc. The State of Illinois is constantly in trouble, broke, scandles, etc and they are going to run the place I love to go to and have an impact as a cost on the tea i root for.

Yes, I have a huge problem with this entire deal.

Why doesn't the State come in and buy some Bars too! they can make them some money! How about a strip joint!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:53 pm 

bigfan wrote:
1. The Illinois Stadium Under The Table Committee is controlled by Uncle Jerry. They own one facility! Does anyone really think that one person ever on that committee has not been approved by Reinsdorf?

!

I'd say Jim Thompson has more than enough pull to work around JR.

I'm a little troubled by it as well, but would it be much different than something like the city throwing big TIF money into a improvement project?

As an aside, it is my firm belief that if a goverment is going to landmark a property, they have appropriated a portion of private property for a public use and should be required to provide some consideration. I don't think the Supreme Court feels that way but that does not mean they are correct.

Last edited by good dolphin on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:59 pm 

I believe that there will be tax payers money involved in the long term up keep of the stadium as well. So not only will people be buying tickets, beer, food, souvenir's, and such...but there will be a certain portion of the good citizens of Illinois that will also be paying taxes for the stadium "stuff".

I am not completely certain of the tax impact...but I hate the idea too. I do not see anything good in it...and if you read the recent comments & quotes from the Zell side, it is a forgone conclusion that they will be selling the "stadium" before they sell the team. "We have to get the stadium deal done before we can sell the team"

SUCKS !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:14 pm 

The Comiskular deal has been terrible for the state and great for the Sox. I know it would be a terrible deal from day 1, but the tehory is that it was done to keep the Sox in Chicago as a political favor to a guy who gave alot of money to alot of people and the claims that other moneys would be lost if they left.

I see Zell's people putting the deal toegther and expalining to the State geniuses how good it is and right now he is probably "taking care" of people as needed, in preparation for a vote.

We will hear one day "the rent on the park is so high we can only afford this much as our payroll" as they end up in 4th!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
You're absolutely right on everything here, Bigfan. You're a needed voice on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Wouldn't it be funny if on the day they have the big press conference, announcing the state's purchase of the ballpark, that the stadium would collapse upon itself, leaving Zell with a pile full of rubble just before the deal became official? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:38 pm 

I know the Sox fans think I hate Reinsdorf and it is just not true. I admire the workings of the guy, with the exception of his ability to Market things, which I think it terrible. (i.e. Farmio, Singlio, Hawk, etc) and Yes, tyhose are HIS guys!

However, the guy is ultra powerful in the state of illinois and beyond. The guy has bought himself a political force and when things get doen in the city in the arena of sports they get done or not because of him.

This Wrigley deal has his fingerprints all over it. Between Zell owning part of he Sox and now the Cubs , which I thought MLB had rules against? To a shell committe to handle 'Stadiums' in Illinois, to a baseball comi9ssioner, who does what Reinsodrf tells him to do, to the State of Illinois being able to manage anything outside of my local DMV and even that is scandalous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:33 pm 

I am now told Mr. Zell is no longer a Sox owner. That was done quietly wasn't it.

Well thats a nice $10-$20 million payday or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:41 pm 

Remember this posting???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:35 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Remember this posting???

I do remember. I don't believe Zell gave up his White Sox ownership. It all sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
"Welcome to Amp Energy Drink Park! Home of the Chicago Cubs! Losing to the X-Treme!"

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:23 pm 

Location: In a slightly better place than before each day I remember where I'm going
pizza_Place: My house. I make a good pizza according to my family. I'll take it.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
"Welcome to Amp Energy Drink Park! Home of the Chicago Cubs! Losing to the X-Treme!"

We can't all be fans of a team which plays in a Cell. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

Thank heavens for small favors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Is this really a tragedy? Who cares?
It's a fucking building...It's not like renaming your kid.

Call it Dentyne Ice Field or Trident Park for all I care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
Big Fan, as you are the resident RE maven (and #1 member of the Hate KW Fan Club), I have been wondering the following in all of this:

Is there much of a market for Wrigley outside of whoever actually buys the team? A. you are limited to one potential tenant (who, upon being bought by someone else may decide to -gasp!- move the team unless a sweet rental deal is reached) and B. it has (or will have) landmark regs prohibiting you turning it into condos, etc. in the event the Cub called your bluff. Then there is the whole upkeep issue for any 3d party buyer and the general fact that the neighbors are pains in the ass.

Is Zell finding out that no private 3rd party purchasers actually want to buy Wrigley (on Zell's terms) given these limits? Does having the State buy it make financial sense as Zell can get more out of the State for Wrigley than he would get from a 3d party purchaser or from someone who bought the Cub AND Wrigley? I mean, if this is not what he is thinking, then what is the angle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:49 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Is this really a tragedy? Who cares?
It's a fucking building...It's not like renaming your kid.

Call it Dentyne Ice Field or Trident Park for all I care.

Personally I do not care what they call it...and if they wanted to build a new stadium...I'm for that too. The point of the matter is that the new owners will find themselves forced into a 30 yr lease to stay at Wrigley (name TBD). Not sure that is good. Additionally, fans will likley incur higher ticket prices and potentially PSL's. That is all political BS.

As for the naming rights...you are correct. Who cares? I don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:21 pm 

Location: In a slightly better place than before each day I remember where I'm going
pizza_Place: My house. I make a good pizza according to my family. I'll take it.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Thank heavens for small favors.

You're welcome for the two foot gimmie. Well played.

Just remember this when bitching about Cubs fans saying anything in the Sox section. You can't have it both ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

Mainly I bitch at/about bigfan coming in there. On the other hand you, among others, have actual baseball knowledge unlike the aforementioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:20 pm 

The naming rights thing is just a mistake by SammyZ. He can do what he wants, he is right, but the name Wrigley field itself has value and between the Shirts/hats/memorablia that is sold, I am guessing it might come close to naming rights income. Don't think the visiting Iowans will be the Gatorade Park shirts in mass.

Obviousely the value of the land is immense, even without the Cubs, but still my rough quick guess is that the land is about $200 million alone.

Then you do have to deal with the FUCKING neighbors of which I am one. If you came to a meeting you would know exactly who I am. LOL As a developer you gewt amazingly frustrated with people coming to the meeting just ready to complain complain complain. Everytime some lady pushes her personal agenda "I would like to see a Hallmark gift card shop..." I always state that they are off the issue and personal requests should be done in private.

No douibt the State can pay the most, but can the team then pay the state?

You have to remember , He truely did not want to deal with this issue. He paid $13 B for the Tribune corp and gave them the right to get this deal done before he took over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:39 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Mainly I bitch at/about bigfan coming in there. On the other hand you, among others, have actual baseball knowledge unlike the aforementioned.

Fair enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
kerchungathunk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Fair enough.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:38 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
kerchungathunk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Fair enough.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dare I ask why you find that so amusing?

Post subject: How about this
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:08 am 

If I were a company I'd buy the rights and make a big stink about KEEPING THE NAME!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:49 am 

bigfan wrote:
Everytime some lady pushes her personal agenda "I would like to see a Hallmark gift card shop..." I always state that they are off the issue and personal requests should be done in private.

That sounds like a successfull approach. I'm sure she cares what you think the issue is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

Are there any hot women bitching at these meetings? I don't live in the area but I would go to one of these meetings and take up a hot women's cause. I'd be shouting and yelling in support of her her stupid agenda.

She would then fall for me, take me to her Wrigley home, and bang me. Afterwards I would tell her I don't live in the area and leave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:10 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Are there any hot women bitching at these meetings? .

Never