It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Hi Mr. DeCastro, where can I send a demo?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

bearfan76 wrote:
While Dan McNeil was on the air making his third career debut on WSCR-AM 670, The Score’s management was celebrating its major free-agent acquisition.

Jimmy deCastro, senior vice president and market manager for Entercom Communications’ Chicago radio stations, and Mitch Rosen, WSCR-AM’s operations director, know McNeil.

They know what he can do, both positive and negative, and they feel positive.

“He’s hungry. He’s humbled,” Rosen said Wednesday. “Listen, a month ago, he was selling cars in Northwest Indiana. He’s hungry to prove to everybody that he still is on top of his game, which I believe he is. … All he wants to do is win. He wants to have fun and he wants to win. Those are the two key things in his head every day.”

The risk-reward of bringing in McNeil — who’s very good when he’s good and suspended or cashiered when he’s bad — is just one aspect of the upheaval of the WSCR-AM weekday lineup.

Other issues involve politics and diversity, so you know, nothing too controversial, as deCastro has pursued what he called “a fresher approach” with a “combination of youth and experience.”

McNeil has been paired with Danny Parkins, who a decade ago was an intern for him. They’ll hold down the 1-6 p.m. slot when not preempted by Cubs broadcasts.

Left without a partner is Matt Spiegel, who had been working middays with Parkins since Parkins’ return home from Kansas City last year. The move also displaced Jason Goff, who had been paired with Dan Bernstein.

Management said Spiegel and Goff may wind up as fill-in weekday hosts and heard weekends, though they haven’t finalized those arrangements.

Joining Bernstein instead of Goff is Connor McKnight, once hired by WSCR after as part of a talent search promotion but most recently White Sox pregame and postgame host on WLS-AM 890.

When asked what the station hopes to get with the new alignments that it didn’t get with Goff and Spiegel, deCastro said only: “I don’t think it’s specific to those two.”

It has been suggested that a factor in the changes was that the afternoon show with Bernstein and Goff was deemed too political for the sports-talk station.

“I don’t know. I’ve seen some blogs that are saying that,” deCastro said. “My opinion on that is we’re a sports station. … The truth of the matter is we think they need to be talking about sports.

“If there’s (news that’s) live and local we have a responsibility to report, we’ll report on it. But we’d much rather have our talent be playing the hits in the sports world because that’s what people come here for.”

Goff’s removal from The Score’s regular weekday lineup represents a 50 percent decline in the number African-American hosts in prime slots. The station also is light on the perspectives of Asians and Hispanics, and could feature more women.

Rosen noted that Julie DiCaro and USA Today’s Maggie Hendricks host a weekend show. And de Castro said the station has interviewed other women recently. They said they would like to have one on the air five days a week.

DeCastro cited the overall diversity of Entercom’s Chicago lineup, which includes the reformatted Jams 104.3 (aka WBMX-FM 104.3, formally WJMK-FM) and B96 (WBBM-FM 96.3).

But the lack of diversity at The Score, while hardly uncommon across the media landscape, comes at a time when sports rosters and fans seem to be as diverse as ever.

“A very fair point,” deCastro said, who then cited the potential for additional daytime exposure for weeknight host Laurence Holmes.

“We’re talking about having him fill-in and grow,” deCastro said. “We’re talking about maybe popping Goff in with him from time to time because they like each other and know each other well.”

Holmes has been doing solid work long enough that everyone — in local sports media and in the audience – knows him well.

philrosenthal@chicagotribune.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Heard a promo for the new afternoon show and Mac said something like "tune in and have a laugh on your drive home". Bernstein's style of radio is the clear loser in this. Unless he dramatically changes his style, which I think he will because he is a spineless bitch, he won't be renewed when his contact is up. He will be taking a big haircut if he stays.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Franky T wrote:
Heard a promo for the new afternoon show and Mac said something like "tune in and have a laugh on your drive home". Bernstein's style of radio is the clear loser in this. Unless he dramatically changes his style, which I think he will because he is a spineless bitch, he won't be renewed when his contact is up. He will be taking a big haircut if he stays.

I think it’s pretty clear from DeCastros comments that Lil Danny’s style of radio certainly won’t be tolerated . He’s been given marching orders no doubt

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

The quotes from this article crack me up. DeCastro is an idiot. Let me summarize what he's saying

Decastro: We're looking to pair our two blacks, Goff and Larry, in some shows, to show that we like blacks. And because those two blacks like each other.

DeCastro: We're interviewing a lot of broads to show people that we like broads. Plus we have Julie who is a valued broad. But I'd like to hire one that is better looking then Julie, however. Wait, did I say that out loud?

DeCastro: We demoted our most popular Jew and fired his black partner to prove to people that we're sick of social issues on a sports radio station.

The SCORE is the weirdest place. Full of idiots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Beardown wrote:
The quotes from this article crack me up. DeCastro is an idiot. Let me summarize what he's saying

Decastro: We're looking to pair our two blacks, Goff and Larry, in some shows, to show that we like blacks. And because those two blacks like each other.

DeCastro: We're interviewing a lot of broads to show people that we like broads. Plus we have Julie who is a valued broad. But I'd like to hire one that is better looking then Julie, however. Wait, did I say that out loud?

DeCastro: We demoted our most popular Jew and fired his black partner to prove to people that we're sick of social issues on a sports radio station.

The most popular person that is Jewish got a promotion to afternoons with Danny Mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
FrankDrebin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

The most popular person that is Jewish got a promotion to afternoons with Danny Mac

The (((house))) always wins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

DeCastro: We gave the younger Jew a shot at the prime slot because he likes gambling, drugs and hookers. Unlike the older Jew. We think that will relate better with our audience. And we paired him with a non Jew, who's older, but also like gambling, drugs and hookers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Hatchetman wrote:
they could use a hot & spicy latina.

Who couldn't?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Franky T wrote:

I've listened the last two days and he already sounds neutered.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Peoria Matt wrote:
Franky T wrote:

I've listened the last two days and he already sounds neutered.

He was neutered when he was solo on Tuesday as well, which made it hilarious when he did a read for a vasectomy clinic. It was so fitting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

All joking aside, those quotes by Decastro in that article were down right offensive and borderline racist and sexist. Screw borderline. They were sexist and racist.

Last edited by Beardown on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
We need a way to keep all the Dans straight. My vote for Bernstein is Danny no balls.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:47 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Beardown wrote:
All joking aside, those quotes by Decastro in that article were down right offensive and borderline racist and sexist. Screw borderline. They were sexist and racist.

You would know.